PDA

View Full Version : Roy and Celia?

Ancalagon
2009-07-15, 03:39 PM
I do not want to complain about the lack of Celia but... ok, I want to do exactly that.

I found Celia to be one of the more annoying characters lately, but Roy simply did not react to her enough.

Look at this:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html

He does not even say "hi", he does not look at her, she says something (standing behind his back) and he ignores her and rather responds to his groupmember. Next scene: He's sitting around, polishing his armour, alone...

This has bugged me so much that I actually have to write this, even when I really had enough of Celia in the last arc (it'll be ok or even great when looking back at it!). Usually, I like Rich's storytelling and how he addresses all the small things he should address... but if Roy's very strange reaction to Celia is not done on purpose, I'd consider this an "epic fail". Not even a "hi, nice to be back" is just... urks.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-15, 04:15 PM
What buggs me is that in panel 8 Roy is naked and in panel 9 he has a robe tucked around him. Why didn't Giant show us taking the robe off of V and putting it on, it would only add a couple more panels which would make the update even later . . .
[/sarcasm]
Seriously, action does happen off panel and between comics
I'm sure Celia and Roy had a proper greeting in between comics, before Roy was dressed.

Rhuna_Coppermane
2009-07-15, 04:18 PM
Yeah, we saw Celia give him the big pouncetacklehug and then suddenly he's covered up. I think it's fair to assume a bit of ellision. Not sex, per se, but at least a returned embrace.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-15, 04:22 PM
I do not want to complain about the lack of Celia but... ok, I want to do exactly that.

I found Celia to be one of the more annoying characters lately, but Roy simply did not react to her enough.

Look at this:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html

He does not even say "hi", he does not look at her, she says something (standing behind his back) and he ignores her and rather responds to his groupmember. Next scene: He's sitting around, polishing his armour, alone...

This has bugged me so much that I actually have to write this, even when I really had enough of Celia in the last arc (it'll be ok or even great when looking back at it!). Usually, I like Rich's storytelling and how he addresses all the small things he should address... but if Roy's very strange reaction to Celia is not done on purpose, I'd consider this an "epic fail". Not even a "hi, nice to be back" is just... urks.

Don't worry. I'm sure they'll spend "plenty of time together" later that evening.

:belkar:"Somebody look up the AC on the beast with two backs."

Ancalagon
2009-07-15, 04:37 PM
What buggs me is that in panel 8 Roy is naked and in panel 9 he has a robe tucked around him. Why didn't Giant show us taking the robe off of V and putting it on, it would only add a couple more panels which would make the update even later . . .
[/sarcasm]
Seriously, action does happen off panel and between comics
I'm sure Celia and Roy had a proper greeting in between comics, before Roy was dressed.

Check the comic I posted. There was no time, not even for a hi! Look at it, it's an ongoing conversation, he's not saying anything, he's rather talking to Haley.

If you want to come down with arrogant sarcasm on me: Make sure it's justified or you might make yourself look... not so witty as you wanted to be.

And I simply find it crude he rather sits alone, polishing his armour, in the sunset at the sea instead of... polishing his armour during sunset with his gf present. If you do not find that odd... it's so crude, usually does not happen on the comic and thus it sticks out.

Cizak
2009-07-15, 05:07 PM
Check the comic I posted.

I quoted this because maybye you should do it yourself. No time? Yeah, about that KISS in panel 8? And you know, since we didn't see Roy take the cloak we can safely assume that there was some space between those panels, you don't presume they did anything in that time? Also, Roy said "Mmmph!", that could very well be an attempt to say something but he couldn't because he had a two twounges in his mouth.

Ancalagon
2009-07-15, 05:10 PM
I quoted this because maybye you should do it yourself. No time? Yeah, about that KISS in panel 8?.

He seems more overrun than anything else.

Eric O'Really
2009-07-15, 05:58 PM
srry, but try to snap out of it. :smallamused:

like the others said, there was some action off panel. between the charge hug and his speech, he somehow had to take time to put on v's robe. also there is no indicator, how much time passed, since the last two comics. could be hours.

NerfTW
2009-07-15, 06:02 PM
First off, this isn't some long term, true love, oh my god counting the days relationship. Had Celia not been summoned, she never would have even noticed he was gone. So you have to take into account the fact that the relationship is a bit more casual than you're seeing it.

Second, they're adventurers. She didn't even bat an eye when she heard he was dead, remember? This was just a normal meeting back up for her. Plus, he's known his friends for far longer. She's probably off doing something at the moment while he was polishing his armor.

Also, the polishing scene took place an indeterminate amount of time after the previous strip. They could have reunited, but they are on a quest to save the world. Hanky panky and smoochies are probably a secondary concern right now. Roy needed his armor ready to go the next day.

That's why he responded to Haley first as well. He's been with them the whole time, so a reunion is just "Hey, s'up, now let's get to business, Xykon could be heading for the next gate right now!".

theinsulabot
2009-07-15, 08:13 PM
actually the answer is quite simple. for roy, it wasn't much of a reunion. he had been shadowing them all for quite some time, even if they couldn't see him. in his mind, nap time is over, its time to get back to work.

i say that actually being quite fond of celia as a character. i wouldnt of minded seeing them have a moment, but to roy, he has been with her the whole time, so there is no need for an extended reunion

EDIT: to the poster above me, as i recall, celia started crying when she learned roy was dead, she just put a brave face on and started talking about raise dead being the new spell keeping them apart. perhaps i am wrong

Random832
2009-07-15, 08:33 PM
EDIT: to the poster above me, as i recall, celia started crying when she learned roy was dead, she just put a brave face on and started talking about raise dead being the new spell keeping them apart. perhaps i am wrong

Well - we see a tear, but she didn't take a lot of time to mourn. This really isn't our world, there's really no getting around the fact that Roy wasn't "lost forever", he was just "going to be a bit difficult to get back" - 9% of a single character's Wealth By Level and some logistical problems, while not trivial per se, really is nothing in comparison to someone dying in our world.

David Argall
2009-07-15, 08:49 PM
Now I do deem Celia one of the weaker characters, and Miko would have been fantastically superior as Roy's "Girlfriend". But I'd say you are making a mountain out of a molehill here [not that that is exactly rare around here.] Celia having made a welcome tackle, there really isn't much need for additional frames on the two of them.

Conuly
2009-07-15, 09:04 PM
And I simply find it crude he rather sits alone, polishing his armor, in the sunset at the sea instead of... polishing his armor during sunset with his gf present. If you do not find that odd... it's so crude, usually does not happen on the comic and thus it sticks out.

Crude? Don't you think that's taking it a LITTLE bit too far? Maybe it's slightly anti-social, but crude? Crude would be... I don't know, scratching himself inappropriately, smacking her on the behind, and sending her away so "the guys" could talk. And then belching. And farting. And blaming her.

Besides, maybe she thinks polishing armor is boring. Maybe SHE was the one who left HIM alone. Who knows?

thepsyker
2009-07-15, 09:47 PM
Crude? Don't you think that's taking it a LITTLE bit too far? Maybe it's slightly anti-social, but crude? Crude would be... I don't know, scratching himself inappropriately, smacking her on the behind, and sending her away so "the guys" could talk. And then belching. And farting. And blaming her.

Besides, maybe she thinks polishing armor is boring. Maybe SHE was the one who left HIM alone. Who knows?Or maybe he wore her out with whatever they got up to between his resurrection and the sunset scene where he is polishing his armor and she's asleep.:smallwink:

YeahThatGuy
2009-07-15, 11:11 PM
Or maybe he wore her out with whatever they got up to between his resurrection and the sunset scene where he is polishing his armor and she's asleep.:smallwink:
Must of had her polish his spear earlier. [/Morrowind reference]

Hands_Of_Blue
2009-07-15, 11:58 PM
Roy's "Thanks, it's good to be back" was in response to everyone, not just Haley.

Aris Katsaris
2009-07-16, 06:26 AM
I sort of agree with Ancalagon. The intensity of Celia's embrace almost makes Roy's non-reaction (He doesn't even look at her in-panel) seem a bit weird. Contrast for example the mutual intensity of the Haley-Elan remeeting.

It's possibly intentional -- he may be thinking of breaking up with her for all we know. Or (not as extreme) it may just indicate their relationship and their feelings for each other are not as well-balanced and mutual as the Haley-Elan relationship is.

Or it may just be a small flaw in the Giant's writing. But yeah the scene seemed a bit odd to me as well.

factotum
2009-07-16, 06:44 AM
Ironic you posted that literally six minutes before #669 went up, Aris... :smallwink:

Aris Katsaris
2009-07-16, 06:48 AM
Yeah, almost ninjaed by the comic itself.

Or would it have been counter-ninjaed? What do you call it when something posted makes your own post not unnecessary but invalidated instead? :-)

So yeah, never mind my post above.

Ancalagon
2009-07-16, 06:55 AM
MUCH better. His initial reaction is still a bit weird but I'm at peace now. ;)

SPoD
2009-07-16, 06:57 AM
I think, in light of the new comic, that what the OP was noticing before reflected how Roy acted in front of the troops. Remember that Roy is a leader, and a commander doesn't make out with his girlfriend in front of his subordinates. Now, in the privacy of some bushes, Roy can open up and be more affectionate towards Celia.

Basically, Roy, as a straight-laced Lawful character, keeps his displays of affection private while Elan and Haley, as Chaotics, prefer them big and public.

Ancalagon
2009-07-16, 07:05 AM
I think, in light of the new comic, that what the OP was noticing before reflected how Roy acted in front of the troops. Remember that Roy is a leader, and a commander doesn't make out with his girlfriend in front of his subordinates. Now, in the privacy of some bushes, Roy can open up and be more affectionate towards Celia

Stupid from him. That's not military. Belkar is not his "troop". And a "hi, I am also glad we are back together" would not have been out of place, not even IF it was some military-troop-leader-thing.

It's all moot now anyway. ;)

SPoD
2009-07-16, 07:17 AM
Stupid from him. That's not military. Belkar is not his "troop".

Roy doesn't give a crap about Belkar. I'm talking about Elan and Haley. Roy is not them, he doesn't need to paw her immediately to prove that he cares.

Ancalagon
2009-07-16, 07:19 AM
Roy doesn't give a crap about Belkar. I'm talking about Elan and Haley. Roy is not them, he doesn't need to paw her immediately to prove that he cares.

I doubt he considers Haley and Elan his "troop". But it does not matter anymore anyway.

NerfTW
2009-07-16, 08:35 AM
I think this strip explained it pretty well. They're in a world where Raise Dead is just a trip to the local cleric away. Not to mention we already know that his dad died and got raised multiple times. So he views death as more of an obstacle to overcome than a permanent result of losing a fight.

NerfTW
2009-07-16, 08:57 AM
and Miko would have been fantastically superior as Roy's "Girlfriend".

How on earth would Miko have even been possible as Roy's "girlfriend"? We're talking about a woman who considered a missing plum sauce stain on her shirt to be a sign from the gods to smite evil. She's utterly incapable of having a relationship with anyone while she has a superiority complex that makes Xykon look downright humble. It would have ended the second it began. And it certainly wouldn't have survived finding out that Shinjo wasn't senile and was sending them after the gates.

What you're asking for is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT character from Miko, who happens to be named Miko.

Optimystik
2009-07-16, 09:09 AM
Don't turn this into yet another Miko thread...

What interested me about Celia is that even though she's an outsider, she has a lot more in common with our world than even the PCs do. It gives me a new perspective on why she's anti-violence and other real-world sentiments.

After all, we can't be raised and don't know anything about our afterlife either!

Flickerdart
2009-07-16, 09:17 AM
Must of had her polish his spear earlier. [/Morrowind reference]
But they were all out of longspears, not much call for them these days. :smallwink:

Ancalagon
2009-07-16, 09:58 AM
After all, we can't be raised and don't know anything about our afterlife either!

Uhm... somebody already planeshifted there or came back from the dead to talk about it?
No need to answer (by anyone), as this is something that cannot be answered in a discussion. "Our afterlife" is not a matter of knowing, though, but of believe. And that's a huge distinction between the oots-world. They know, we have to believe (as individual, you can also chose to not to believe in an afterlife).

Optimystik
2009-07-16, 10:14 AM
Uhm... somebody already planeshifted there or came back from the dead to talk about it?
No need to answer (by anyone), as this is something that cannot be answered in a discussion.

Then why even mention it? :smallsigh:

I didn't say anything about belief, I said we don't know.

NerfTW
2009-07-16, 10:19 AM
No need to answer (by anyone), as this is something that cannot be answered in a discussion. "Our afterlife" is not a matter of knowing, though, but of believe. And that's a huge distinction between the oots-world. They know, we have to believe (as individual, you can also chose to not to believe in an afterlife).

Congratulations, that was entirely his point. We don't KNOW that there's anything after. We just have to guess and believe in it. In the OOTS world, as per today's strip, they KNOW what awaits. They can actually verbally speak to the gods and say "Hey, what are we supposed to do?". The entire religion angle is completely transparent to them, with no guesswork involved. Death becomes little more than an obstacle to overcome, and if not overcome, they know that a reward still awaits them.

Ancalagon
2009-07-16, 10:27 AM
I didn't say anything about belief, I said we don't know.

I must have read something else when I first read (and quoted) your line than I read now. Erm... yes... maybe it's still too warm today?