PDA

View Full Version : Recharge Magic [3.5]

Mad Wizard
2009-07-15, 03:53 PM
Has anyone tried out the Recharge Magic variant listed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargemagic.htm)? What were your thoughts - overpowered, underpowered, about equal? I'm looking for a way to make spells more encounter-based, and this looks like a good way to do it.

PrismaticPIA
2009-07-15, 04:23 PM
Why on earth would you want to make 3.5 into WoW?

erikun
2009-07-15, 05:37 PM
Have you run a game where the spellcasters regularly run out of magic?

I've seen the system before, and it honestly looks like a headache. You can have several dozen spells by mid-level, and just following their durations can take up a sizable chunk of paper - nevermind different recharge durations for each.

Other than that, are you familiar with Reserve Feats? From the Complete Mage and Complete Champion, they allow you to use weak magical abilities as long as you have matching spells memorized - but don't use up the spells themselves. For example, if you have a Fire spells memorized and the Fiery Burst feat, then you can throw a small (5') fireball as a standard action, dealing 1d6/level of the spell memorized.

Zeful
2009-07-15, 05:46 PM
I'm looking for a way to make spells more encounter-based, and this looks like a good way to do it.
And why would you want to do this? I see no problems with the magic system as presented in the game.

What were your thoughts - overpowered, underpowered, about equal? Overpowered. The good spells (ie. the I win buttons) are mostly General recharge, which is measured in rounds. A Warforged Wizard using this system has almost no reason to play with a group, and can use the same tactics nearly every fight.

Dragonmuncher
2009-07-15, 07:44 PM
Overpowered. The good spells (ie. the I win buttons) are mostly General recharge, which is measured in rounds. A Warforged Wizard using this system has almost no reason to play with a group, and can use the same tactics nearly every fight.

Antagonist Idea- Warforged Wizard using this variant because he has the equivalent of an "arcane magic battery power plant" in his chest.