PDA

View Full Version : Nerfing the Rod of Lordly Might

Random832
2009-07-15, 09:48 PM
One of the players in my group really wants a Rod of Lordly Might. The person who is being the DM for this campaign is inclined to give it to him, just because he seems to do anything the players ask for. This is with level 6 PCs.

I'm concerned that this is going to end up with us facing more powerful monsters, all needing to ask for more overpowered magical items to keep up, and leveling up too quickly.

So my question is - what features of the Rod contribute most to its value/level, that can be dropped to homebrew up an appropriate item for a 6th-level PC? A "Rod of lesser lordly might", as it were.

Grynning
2009-07-15, 09:51 PM
Pretty sure their are some lesser rods of "Adjective Noun" in the Magic Item Compendium. There may be a good substitute there.
Or hope that your DM will just say "no" like they should.

The Blackbird
2009-07-15, 09:52 PM
One of the players in my group really wants a Rod of Lordly Might. The person who is being the DM for this campaign is inclined to give it to him, just because he seems to do anything the players ask for. This is with level 6 PCs.

I'm concerned that this is going to end up with us facing more powerful monsters, all needing to ask for more overpowered magical items to keep up, and leveling up too quickly.

So my question is - what features of the Rod contribute most to its value/level, that can be dropped to homebrew up an appropriate item for a 6th-level PC? A "Rod of lesser lordly might", as it were.

Maybe the DM is gonna twist his words and give him the Belkar version of the rod.

Steward
2009-07-15, 09:57 PM
Okay, we can reduce it by taking away some of its power. Let's see...

Just strip away every other power except for:

* In its normal form, the rod can be used as a +2 light mace.
* When button 1 is pushed, the rod becomes a +1 flaming longsword. A blade springs from the ball, with the ball itself becoming the sword’s hilt. The weapon lengthens to an overall length of 4 feet.
* When button 2 is pushed, the rod becomes a +4 battleaxe. A wide blade springs forth at the ball, and the whole lengthens to 4 feet.
* When button 3 is pushed, the rod becomes a +3 shortspear or +3 longspear. The spear blade springs forth, and the handle can be lengthened up to 12 feet (wielder’s choice), for an overall length of from 6 feet to 15 feet. At its 15-foot length, the rod is suitable for use as a lance.

And make it so that you can only press each button a fixed amount of times before it stops working.

Darrin
2009-07-15, 10:10 PM
Pretty sure their are some lesser rods of "Adjective Noun" in the Magic Item Compendium. There may be a good substitute there.

Rod of Surprises works pretty well as a lesser version of the Rod of Lordly Might. Only costs 6000 GP, but you can glitz it up a bit by adding some spell-like abilities similar to the RLM.

Or hope that your DM will just say "no" like they should.

"Yes, but..." is much more interesting than "No." And a player that really, really wants something can give the DM a lot of leverage with the right strings attached.

Random832
2009-07-15, 10:14 PM
I suspect half the reason he wants it is for the horrible puns like "I've got a rod of lordly might - in my pants :smallbiggrin:", so Rod of Surprises might make a good substitute there.

He wants to use it as his main weapon, so the "limited button presses" is out - I'm thinking maybe something in a +1 or +2 Greataxe? (He also wants the flaming longsword - how much do you figure something that can just turn between a +1 Flaming Longsword and a +2 Greataxe would run - or maybe a +1 Greataxe and a +0 Flaming Longsword)

yes, I'm aware that it's a battleaxe not a greataxe - I'm not sure if he's aware of this. I'm also aware that you can't have +0, but I'm trying to come up with a creative way to lower the value.