PDA

View Full Version : Is it right i home brew feats for NPC's

oxinabox
2009-07-15, 10:27 PM
I've homebrew feets for my players:
eg:
Speedy dwarf:
Req: lvl 10, dwarf, speed= 20ft, dex 13
Increase speed by 10 ft, you retain dwarven movment.

(this is for a game where everyone except the dwarf has speed 30 and light armour, and it was getting annoying)

anbd also a double strike feat that i've mentioned elsewhere.

But i'm also looking at feats for my enemy npc's.

Sedan Bearer
When carrying a sedan chair (or similar), you may move at normal speed.
Note: this doesnot allow monks or barbarians to move at there increase speed, as they are still carrying a heavy load.
They just don't take the heavy load penalty to speed.

Is it fair, to give them advantages like that?

Badgercloak
2009-07-15, 10:32 PM
So long as the PC's that qualify for the homebrews have the option of picking them up, sure. Or you could decide certain things are NPC only.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-15, 10:34 PM
You don't even have to give them feats. You're welcome to advance things any way you want, or even spin things from whole cloth.

You want a spell-casting enemy, but don't want to throw a squishy d4-er out at them. Make something that counts as humans for all spells & effects, has big hit dice and saves but has "Casts as an X level Sorcerer" as an ability.

Want a dwarf to have fly 100ft(Perfect) and an improved version of flyby attack that lets him take any full-round action while moving?

He has it. Though it's probably good to have some kind of explanation for that one, otherwise it'll just seem silly.

EDIT: Point is, it's your job to provide interesting & entertaining content for your group, no matter what that is. The things already in books are just suggestions and guidelines to help you save time.

There are absolutely no limitations, or restrictions on what you can do other than what the group wouldn't find fun.

Vaynor
2009-07-15, 10:35 PM
I've homebrew feets for my players:
eg:
Speedy dwarf:
Req: lvl 10, dwarf, speed= 20ft, dex 13
Increase speed by 10 ft, you retain dwarven movment.

(this is for a game where everyone except the dwarf has speed 30 and light armour, and it was getting annoying)

anbd also a double strike feat that i've mentioned elsewhere.

But i'm also looking at feats for my enemy npc's.

Sedan Bearer
When carrying a sedan chair (or similar), you may move at normal speed.
Note: this doesnot allow monks or barbarians to move at there increase speed, as they are still carrying a heavy load.

Is it fair, to give them advantages like that?

The second is hardly much of an advantage. I can't see it helping anyone but a lowly servant. Honestly I can't see it being useful, ever.

Random832
2009-07-15, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure what the reason is... If you've got two people carrying it, both Str 18, their combined medium load is 400lb.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-15, 10:39 PM
I don't see why not. It's not that broken a feat.

Glimbur
2009-07-15, 10:44 PM
PC's should follow the rules and stay within a general power level the GM sets.

GM's should make a fun and interesting game. The rules for NPC's are good guidelines to start with, because they help balance things. But if you want Sedan Chair bearers, who will stop you? The internet? Not if you don't tell us about it.

Random832
2009-07-15, 10:47 PM
I don't see why not. It's not that broken a feat.

If anything, it's actually pretty limited - a general way to allow normal speed with a heavy load would work as well. But I don't see the need for it - it's a problem that can be solved by having the sedan chair appropriately sized for the number of bearers.

oxinabox
2009-07-15, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure what the reason is... If you've got two people carrying it, both Str 18, their combined medium load is 400lb.

it's mostly cos i can't be bothered selecting a feat.
IT's is for sevents.
Sauhuaugin, elite warrior castes belonging to the pristhood,
Is a large 4 person Sedan chair thingy.

HEres a clarified updated version:
Sedan Bearer
When carrying a sedan chair (or similar) one handed, you may move at normal speed, and may attack with your free hand. your free hand is considered your main hand for attack and damage purpose.

Random832
2009-07-15, 11:06 PM
How large? If the characters are strong enough (it makes sense they would all be Str 17 or 18), and there are four of them, it could still be justified as a medium load.

One other note - I would deny them the ability to make a five-foot step as a free action, since their movements have to be coordinated with the other bearers.

For extra fun, let the PCs attempt to disarm or sunder their carrying pole.

oxinabox
2009-07-15, 11:10 PM
Not all the character with this feat will be strong enough.
Some will be monks.
SOme will be barbairians.
Um
I'll make it 4x4, with the pristes sittingf in the middle. (2.5 feet eather size)

I agree, they can only move together