PDA

View Full Version : Anthropomorphic Battletitan Dinosaur

Thrawn183
2009-07-15, 11:09 PM
So, I love the Battletitan Dinosaur from MM III and have them pop up all over the place in my campaigns.

This has led me to wanting Anthropomorphic Battletitan Dinosaurs to start popping up as well. So what would be the CR and LA of one?

wadledo
2009-07-15, 11:37 PM
3 HD, and a questionable amount of LA.
It wouldn't be that good, aside from the NA, Str, and Con.
Though that is a pretty kick ass idea. A bunch of anthropomorphic dinosaurs fighting in a war. We could call them Dino-bots, more than meets the eye!

Thrawn183
2009-07-16, 01:41 AM
Well, Battletitan Dinosaurs were supposedly bred for war, so why not stick a wizard into the mix and get people bred for war?

I'm thinking about an enemy that tries to keep improving upon it's monsters. (Yeah, yeah I know an actual Battletitan Dinosaur is a lot stronger than an anthropomorphic one). So where might the evolution of these guys be directed next? Acquired templates like lycanthropy might work... ah shucks it only applies to humanoids and giants?

Actually, now that I think about it, I have a campaign setting where titans, metallic dragons and chromatic dragons are in a massive 3-way cold war. Giants serve the Titans, so it would be interesting if the Titans were experimenting with the Giants by say, forcing them to become were-battletitans.

Fizban
2009-07-16, 07:58 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, I have a campaign setting where titans, metallic dragons and chromatic dragons are in a massive 3-way cold war. Giants serve the Titans, so it would be interesting if the Titans were experimenting with the Giants by say, forcing them to become were-battletitans.

:smalleek: This... terrifies me. How many hit dice does that have? Just...holy crap. And I thought the Hill Giant Were Rex was bad. I think this might be just about the only thing that could stand up to a dragon in a fist fight.

Edit: actually, I think an Ogre base is the most threatening. Ogre: 4 HD, CR 3, a first level party can take it if they're careful. Orge Were Battletiean: 40 HD, CR "9" (Thank you formula of fail, +21 HD for +6 CR?).

Ogre Were Battletitans in Ogre form riding Battletitans. No. Orge Were Dungeonbred Battletitans in hybrid form riding Half-Dragon Battletitans.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-16, 11:42 AM
4 words

Anthro.Dinosaur.Were.Rex.

Thrawn183
2009-07-16, 12:01 PM
Well, the problem is that anthro's become monstrous humanoids which means that they can't become were's because that only applies to humanoids and giants.

So what are some templates that would be cheap to apply to something like humanoid, a giant or a monstrous humanoid? I like lycanthropy because you really only need one to get an entire army...energized.

Choco
2009-07-16, 12:33 PM
Well, you ARE the DM, make your own template! :smallbiggrin:

I always do anyway. I let my players make their own PrC's (that gotta be cleared by me) too. I don't understand why so many people limit their games to what is in the books. Making up my own stuff is over half the fun for me personally.

That being said, if you have a group of "hardcore" players that memorized every book in existence and would throw a fit if you created something new and surprised them, then I suggest a new group...

Quietus
2009-07-16, 12:41 PM
Well, you ARE the DM, make your own template! :smallbiggrin:

I always do anyway. I let my players make their own PrC's (that gotta be cleared by me) too. I don't understand why so many people limit their games to what is in the books. Making up my own stuff is over half the fun for me personally.

That being said, if you have a group of "hardcore" players that memorized every book in existence and would throw a fit if you created something new and surprised them, then I suggest a new group...

My group's got an interesting dynamic going, because we have several people who barely know the rules, one person who's been playing for years but doesn't care about whether things have been made up or not, and then myself and one of the most experienced DMs. He is very strict about making sure anything he produces is strictly within the rules, and any choice available to an NPC has to be something legal and available to the PCs. I, on the other hand, have no problem coming up with something entirely brand new, or just waving my hand and saying "Yeah, that guy's got wings and lasers he can shoot from his eyes. No, there's no feat for it, he just does."

Of course, I'll have a vague REASON he's got'em... mutant from birth, or magical experiment (gone wrong or otherwise). And if it's acquired rather than born, then I'd even let the PCs chase that option themselves, I just don't worry about it until someone says "Hey, cool! I want that!".

Choco
2009-07-16, 12:48 PM
My group's got an interesting dynamic going, because we have several people who barely know the rules, one person who's been playing for years but doesn't care about whether things have been made up or not, and then myself and one of the most experienced DMs. He is very strict about making sure anything he produces is strictly within the rules, and any choice available to an NPC has to be something legal and available to the PCs. I, on the other hand, have no problem coming up with something entirely brand new, or just waving my hand and saying "Yeah, that guy's got wings and lasers he can shoot from his eyes. No, there's no feat for it, he just does."

Of course, I'll have a vague REASON he's got'em... mutant from birth, or magical experiment (gone wrong or otherwise). And if it's acquired rather than born, then I'd even let the PCs chase that option themselves, I just don't worry about it until someone says "Hey, cool! I want that!".

We seem to share a philosophy then :smallbiggrin:

I do the same thing, if I homebrew a template that is applied to a humanoid NPC that was acquired and one of the players wants it, I work something out. But they usually don't, cause those that make their custom PrC's often include in them all those "wouldn't it be cool if my char could..." things that they want.

Though for templates, if for example a PC wants some template applied to their char that has a LA, We get together and make a PrC that applies that template to them over time, in addition to other benefits, like the Dragon Disciple PrC. That IMO is the easiest way to deal with applying LA template.

Thrawn183
2009-07-16, 03:19 PM
I have no problem with bending the rules on occaision. I mean, every once in a while you're bound to run into something crazy. On the other hand, if the PC's are going to be running into something frequently, I like to either build it by the rules, or make it available to the PC's (at least if they're willing to put in the effort to get it.)

That's why I like the idea of were-battletitans. Sure, they're awesomely powerful foes, but at the same time if a PC really wants to become one, he can! Well.... if he can survive getting bitten by one of course.

That's why I want to figure out the CR and LA of an anthropomorphic battletittan. If I use them I need a CR and if a player decides it would be cool to play as one, I need a LA.

wadledo
2009-07-16, 04:03 PM
The CR would be somewhere in between 8 and 9 I think.
3 HD, and possibly 5 or 6 LA, simply because that's sooo much Str, NA, and Con, even with the reduction.

Thrawn183
2009-07-17, 07:24 AM
So what are templates that you can add to a creature that aren't inherent? Like lycanthropy or vampirism. I'm especially looking for things where it's really easy to apply the template to a large population (also like lycanthropy or vampirism)

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-17, 08:45 AM
Well, the problem is that anthro's become monstrous humanoids which means that they can't become were's because that only applies to humanoids and giants.

How about... Half-Troll Mineral Warrior Anthropomorphic Battletitan Were-Battletitan!? :smallwink::smallbiggrin: