PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Post your fun character concepts your DM probably would not let you play

Pika...
2009-07-16, 12:28 AM
While I have some far out there idea I want to know what some of you have come up with.

Some of mine:

A high Cha and High Bluff human with a thing for halhlings.
Nunu, a rogue kobold who partakes of pantie-raiding whenever in a new settlement, in the hopes of eventually using his "collection" as a sign of his fertility to get a mate. However, in all honesty he probably just gets a kick out of it...
Gaba, a gnoll male in "civilized" lands looking for work as a mercenary to find/afford better/magical equipment. He figured he could either avoid the abusive dominance of the females of his race, or eventually come back with enough gear to be a match for the bigger females. Also, he LOVES being able to eat humanoids, enemies or fallen allies, without having to deal with the "civilized" creatures getting nagry.
A female druid who's favorite alternate form is a deer, and has a daughter named Bambi.
A ratasha or catfolk named Mufasa.
A tibbet rogue named Top Cat.

So what do you holks have in storage?

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-16, 12:34 AM
I have a Fennec Fox Generic Spellcaster who's based on a freeform RPing character I had once (sadly a lot of DMs don't like the idea of talking animal characters:smallfrown:).

Ganurath
2009-07-16, 12:35 AM
A wererat Ranger with a dire rat animal companion. The origin of lycanthropy, revealed!

A cleric of Tharizdun who uses DMM cheese on Bolts of Bedevilment, which are fired with great accuracy thanks to Zen Archery, and the bolts are launched with pelvic thrusts. Tharizdun says 'Screw the world!' Statistically, at least one of his followers has to be crazy enough to take him literally.

Quietus
2009-07-16, 12:35 AM
My DMs are awesome, and would let me play any character idea I came up with.

That being said, they put strict limits on what mechanical options I'm allowed to use, so while the concepts are available, the means may not be. :smallmad:

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-16, 12:49 AM
A Necro / Warforged who just wants to Fit-In and Wears the Skin of his enemies :P

Pika...
2009-07-16, 12:53 AM
A Necro / Warforged who just wants to Fit-In and Wears the Skin of his enemies :P

That seems familiar for some reason.

chiasaur11
2009-07-16, 12:58 AM
A lawful good Kobold Paladin, a paragon of concern for the oppressed, and one of the few of his species to attempt to begin diplomacy with gnomes, who has only one humble goal.

Brutally murder Garl Glittergold.

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-16, 01:01 AM

Its a dream of mine, and I think I asked how to build him on the forums, albeit idk which forum.

Mindleshank
2009-07-16, 01:05 AM
ANY UNDEAD

haha, just one session and i would be content but my DM says that since undead are mindless that a character could exist in role-playing

Ganurath
2009-07-16, 01:06 AM
Introduce him to the Necropolitan template.

Pika...
2009-07-16, 01:07 AM
A lawful good Kobold Paladin, a paragon of concern for the oppressed, and one of the few of his species to attempt to begin diplomacy with gnomes, who has only one humble goal.

Brutally murder Garl Glittergold.

I LoLed so hard. :smallbiggrin:

BloodyAngel
2009-07-16, 01:27 AM
Siamese twins as a single gestalt character. :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2009-07-16, 01:46 AM
A Velociraptor Warblade.

Roc Ness
2009-07-16, 01:56 AM
I wanted to play a chicken. Or a hawk. Or a chicken hawk. Who was given intelligence by a crazy/bored druid/wizard. Who now actively worships said druid/wizard. By sacrificing other little creatures.

Necrus Philius
2009-07-16, 01:56 AM
A lawful Evil wizard who wants to unite the orcs for the purpoes of bringing order to the world by any means necessary. Also as a side note also is paranoid of trees just like Durkon and would then wage war on them.

Our DM won't allow anyone evil though.

Lastly a Bard who doesn't sing but instead does interpretive dance, or miming.

TSED
2009-07-16, 02:00 AM
ANY UNDEAD

haha, just one session and i would be content but my DM says that since undead are mindless that a character could exist in role-playing

Show him the "Awaken Undead" spell. That's in multiple sources.

I AM the DM, so I can't really think of anything that is too far for me. One character I really want to play someday, though, is a cleric/warlock/factotum/something (not multiclass) who is trying to inspire the populace into an industrial / democratic revolution.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-16, 02:02 AM
A voluptuous half-orc bard, constantly seeking information on her father, her human father, to find out why he abandoned her mother.
A human fighter/sorcerer, convinced her arcane powers are a sign of developing divinity, gathers followers in an attempt to usurp the position of the resident God of Slaughter.

chiasaur11
2009-07-16, 02:19 AM
Another couple, a tiny bit less fun, maybe, but...

A warforged found by a scholar and trained to be a general clerk, research assistant, and general study aid, who turns out to have a good deal of barbarian combat programming.

A human warlord who flunked out of every institute of higher learning from the fighter's guild to the priesthood despite acing the written sections of the final. He knows the theory by heart, but in practice...

Ravens_cry
2009-07-16, 02:23 AM
Another couple, a tiny bit less fun, maybe, but...
A human warlord who flunked out of every institute of higher learning from the fighter's guild to the priesthood despite acing the written sections of the final. He knows the theory by heart, but in practice...
Sounds like one Seņor Vorpal Kickass'o, only human.

Ganurath
2009-07-16, 02:24 AM
A human warlord who flunked out of every institute of higher learning from the fighter's guild to the priesthood despite acing the written sections of the final. He knows the theory by heart, but in practice...So... a Monk?

Uin
2009-07-16, 02:34 AM
A LN Half-Giant Duskblade (Gestalt Factotum... I wish) named Ving who wants to bring honour back to Xendrik and forge the New Giant Empire.

Ganurath
2009-07-16, 02:35 AM
A warlock with Brimstone Blast, The Dead Walk, and a bag of holding stuffed full of chickens he got off the market. Disarm a trap and cook yourself a meal in one fell swoop!

Jergmo
2009-07-16, 02:38 AM
Awakened Tyrannosaurus Barbarian. :smallamused:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vdMpbAB0DRI/Rl5gT4dyE-I/AAAAAAAABNA/qlI0oPC7r1M/s400/RexAtWindow.jpg
"Oh, hi."

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-16, 04:51 AM
I wanted to play a commoner -- a junk dealer, in fact. He had a high charisma and a pair of trained dogs (which were the only way he could contribute in combat). The DM nixed it. No commoners.

So another of the players and I came up with the idea for a demon who had had his power siphoned off by the ancestor of the party wizard. The demon was absolute evil but was forced to follow the wizard's orders because the wizard was the only one with a clue to the secret of how to return the demon to its proper realm. The wizard was bound to the demon because the initial spell used a fraction of the lifeforce in his bloodline.

It's more detailed but that but I won't bore you with it. I stumbled through book and board to construct a creature with a level adjustment of 2 or less (restriction set by DM) that had all the features of what we tended to envision in a demon.

It ended up being (crunchwise) a Feral Half-Minotaur Raptoran, level 1 Bear Totem Barbarian. ECL 3. He had 34 strength, large size, and three natural attacks. The DM was not pleased.

obnoxious
sig

Epic-Spell
2009-07-16, 05:06 AM
a psuedodragon adventurer, with a backpack that can hold a few coins. he'd only take a tiny portion of the loot and spend it on funny things.

"can i get a tankard of ale good sir"

"AHH LITTLE DRAGON"

JellyPooga
2009-07-16, 05:22 AM
a psuedodragon adventurer, with a backpack that can hold a few coins. he'd only take a tiny portion of the loot and spend it on funny things.

"AHH LITTLE DRAGON"

I've always wanted to play a Psuedodragon Bard who plays a tiny tiny leetle wincey mandolin and wears a mithril chain shirt.

Another one I've yet to be able to play is my Half-Ogre Were-Giant-Stag-Beetle...redunkulous STR and high natural armour but not a lot else aside from the cool facor!

GoatToucher
2009-07-16, 08:09 AM
A (good aligned) ranger with a tragic history and, as a direct result, species enemy: Halflings.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-16, 08:11 AM

I am going to be playing in a gestalt campaign come September...and as of this instant, I will be playing Siamese twins in that campaign. One will be a wizard, who annoyed his brother to no end by making him sit through all of the terribly boring magic courses; the other, a factotum, who constantly read, juggled, and did anything to amuse himself to avoid being bored out of his skull.

Rhiannon87
2009-07-16, 08:12 AM
In the game I'm DM'ing, I'm letting one of my players fulfill his dream of playing an awakened raptor. He will be a rogue/ranger combo. I am sure I will live to regret this decision, but the idea is just too awesome to say no.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-16, 08:13 AM

http://www40.atwiki.jp/dawnofwar/?plugin=ref&serial=34

entropomorphic
2009-07-16, 08:38 AM
Human cleric/monk, waiving the monk's multiclassing (and perhaps lawfulness) restriction. He would use his status as a holy man and healer to gain access to restricted areas and people, and everybody would expect an unarmed cleric to be relatively harmless.

The Trickery and Travel cleric domains are particularly well-suited to augmenting a monk character, I believe. He would make the ultimate infiltrator.

Of course this would all be pretty suitable for a roll-your-own prestige class.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-16, 09:11 AM
A person who wears only the heaviest armors, dual wields-shields, rides a Half-Dragon Tyrannosaurus as a mount, and has Jekyll and Hyde syndrome (Which I now feel compelled to homebrew).

Megatron46
2009-07-16, 09:17 AM

This is an awsome idea!

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-16, 09:18 AM
Druid/Swordsage.

My DM's exact words were

"No, I see where this is going now, and NO, you may NOT play as kung-fu panda."

Anxe
2009-07-16, 09:23 AM
A Stone Giant Thief. He can hide in the shadows!

woodenbandman
2009-07-16, 09:26 AM
Well...

There was this character I came up with, whose goal in life was to be the very best. Like no one ever was. He was too weak to fight, though, so he had this brilliant idea to use his enemies to his advantage. To catch them was his real test. To train them was his cause.

He would travel across the land, searching far and wide for each new monster, to understand the power that was inside.

POKEMON! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL! -It's you and me!

I KNOW IT'S MY DES-TI-NY~

POKEMON!

:( Couldn't play it. If I did do it, I'd just be a Druid and take the Wild Cohort feat a lot.

Also my other DM almost didn't let me play my halfling barbarian priest of thor. He was afraid it would become a charicature (which, truth be told, it can at times, but he does have character depth).

Brauron
2009-07-16, 09:31 AM
Grimlock Ranger/Deep Delver. I've never had a DM allow a race with a total LA of more than +1, including RHD. This concept evolved into a Grimlock Barbarian when I realized that the looser-rules one-shot I was building him for wasn't high enough level to allow the Ranger/Deep Delver.

One that I haven't gotten a chance to play yet but haven't had banned yet is a LE Dwarf Rogue who adventures solely to collect gems, since he's a gem merchant by trade, and he wants to alter the world's supply and demand curves for precious stones.

One I haven't gotten a chance to play yet because I haven't had a DM willing to bend the alignment rules for me is a LE Bard who travels around attempting to foment revolution against the reigning monarch. "Let me sing you a song, of the bloody-handed usurper, who killed good King Richard, and stomped Richard's wife to death..." This character concept was inspired heavily by Rinaldo, the "mad bard" in Robert E. Howard's first Conan story, The Phoenix on the Sword.

Pika...
2009-07-16, 10:35 AM

"AHH LITTLE DRAGON"

Ahhhh. Reminds me of the faerie dragon I always wanted to play (not the 3.x version, the original type which appeared in the Cartoon show's opening).

Also, last week I got the idea for a gnome bard named Mickle Carnilious Hammer, who specializes in Perform: (Dance). I would have my laptop open to Itunes at all times.

Pika...
2009-07-16, 10:45 AM
Well...

There was this character I came up with, whose goal in life was to be the very best. Like no one ever was. He was too weak to fight, though, so he had this brilliant idea to use his enemies to his advantage. To catch them was his real test. To train them was his cause.

He would travel across the land, searching far and wide for each new monster, to understand the power that was inside.

POKEMON!

:( Couldn't play it. If I did do it, I'd just be a Druid and take the Wild Cohort feat a lot.

Also my other DM almost didn't let me play my halfling barbarian priest of thor. He was afraid it would become a charicature (which, truth be told, it can at times, but he does have character depth).

Young one, what you seek is right here:

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2544&it=1&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=87&free=1

http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/

In my homebrewed world I have an island with "strange creatures". Somewhere on that island is a rift/portal between worlds that leads into foreign woods right outside a mysterious and highly advanced town with the words Palet Town on a sign just outside.

Needless to say I wish you were one of my players.

Oslecamo
2009-07-16, 10:49 AM
A normal halfling rogue wielding a fullblade. The sword would be painted with some magic dark ink and thus usable as portable cover.

Krrth
2009-07-16, 11:05 AM
I take no ownership of this one: It belongs to someone else in my gaming group.

Shadowrun: A troll stripper.

The GM offered the player a free cortex bomb to go with it.

Tehnar
2009-07-16, 11:06 AM
This is a concept I wanted to try:

Once apon a time there was this wizard. Who had a chipmunk familiar. The said wizard was terribly powerful but he somehow got cursed (or feebleminded), so that his INT dropped to 1. Now this familiar chipmunk in order to save his dear master discovered that he can whisper basic commands to the wizard and he actually obeys them. Things like move there, eat, drink, sleep, pick this up, etc. With the help of the wizards spellbooks the chipmunks begins training himself to become a wizard and after he learned basic wizardry he fashions a turban the wizard wears and hides inside it. He can speak common,but he uses Ghost sound when he has to communicate with anyone.

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-16, 11:08 AM
A (good aligned) ranger with a tragic history and, as a direct result, species enemy: Halflings.

Halfling Cannibals!

Well...

POKEMON!

There is a spell in the Complete Mage called smoky confinement which allows you to trap a creature indefinitely in a stoppered container. Though it technically doesn't work on things immune to Fort saves, my DM allowed my character to cast it on any creature under his direct control. Our group killed a mated pair of ancient black dragons and my spellcaster animated them. Lacking a good place to a pair of such large creatures when not in use, my character trapped them both in old potion bottles. It wasn't until a few sessions later that we began to call them pokemon.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get items which cast this spell only on willing targets a limited time per day. High ranks in handle animal and possibly a speak with animals would be enough to have several loyal minions without being a druid. A cleric who can rebuke/command creatures of an elemental subtype would work well, too.

obnoxious
sig

Dogmantra
2009-07-16, 11:14 AM
Also, last week I got the idea for a gnome bard named Mickle Carnilious Hammer, who specializes in Perform: (Dance). I would have my laptop open to Itunes at all times.

His Touch AC would need to be really, really high.
My first character ever actually had ranks in Perform (MC Hammer Slide). It wasn't the most serious game...

Pika...
2009-07-16, 11:16 AM
His Touch AC would need to be really, really high.

LoL. You have a point there.

Should he multiclass into rogue?

Evil the Cat
2009-07-16, 11:16 AM
I have been told that I can't make an awakened Raptor Ninja(swordsage) Dread Pirate. Apparently, that much awesome in one character would break the world.

Centaur Ninja/Shadowdancer is also disallowed.

For amusement I proposed a Half-Ogre Halfling Whisperknife/Master Thrower who sneak attacks people with his boulders. I'd eventually go Hulking Hurler and sneak attack people with wagons, cows, small buildings and such. "Statistically, its cheaper to buy a herd of cattle than wagons capable of carrying all those boulders."

Pika...
2009-07-16, 11:19 AM
"Statistically, its cheaper to buy a herd of cattle than wagons capable of carrying all those boulders."

Plus, you can just slap them over the grill afterward.

quick_comment
2009-07-16, 11:22 AM
Human cleric/monk, waiving the monk's multiclassing (and perhaps lawfulness) restriction. He would use his status as a holy man and healer to gain access to restricted areas and people, and everybody would expect an unarmed cleric to be relatively harmless.

Why on earth would anyone think that? Can clerics no longer cast flame strike?

quick_comment
2009-07-16, 11:23 AM
LoL. You have a point there.

Should he multiclass into rogue?

Wilder 2/Swordsage 2/Bard/Sublime Chord, with ascetic mage. He gets cha to AC, and then cha to touch AC again. He can also pick up some stone dragon maneuvers for "Stop, hammertime!"

woodenbandman
2009-07-16, 11:30 AM
Oh, also not allowed to play a Final Fantasy Dragoon. Or in fact any character with a movement speed greater than a cheetah.

Glass Mouse
2009-07-16, 11:35 AM
I have this idea for a character that I really, really want to play next time I get the chance.

She'll be a halfling magic-user of some sorts... who'll ride around on a pony and be completely packed with dolls. Wooden dolls, silk dolls, wool dolls, blue and clumsy, yellow and elegant, every doll you can imagine. Probably some extradimensional space stored with dolls as well. Those will practically be her family, and each of them will have a name, and she'll talk to them, ask their advice, give them advice, trust them with secrets - and go completely bat**** crazy if one is destroyed. Apart from the dolls, she'll always carry around an iron pot and always brew potions that she'll offer to various party members - preferably without any explanation.

I just wonder if she'll actually fit into a group...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-16, 11:36 AM
Oh, also not allowed to play a Final Fantasy Dragoon.

Another thing I now want to homebrew. Thanks, I'll never get this out of my head.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-16, 11:48 AM
<._.> I have far, far too many of these <X_X>;

1) Impish Paladin who's mount is an ordinary Celestial Eagle.

2) Awakened Squirrel Ranger

3) Winter Wolf Paladin (Instead of a special mount; summon a celestial creature as a rider >.>)

4) An alternating pair of drow (one a psychic warrior, the other an Oriental Adventures samurai) - Particularly long and convoluted story and if things went as I'd hope they'd go, I'd eventually wind up with 2 characters under my control (which might be a problem)

5) A wyrmling dragon.

6) A blind seer who doesn't really do much adventuring. They'd (mostly) be a contact for the players who can cast pretty much every divination that exists. (Obviously more suited to NPC status)

7) Another gnome inventor who:

a) Builds a magical assault rifle.
b) Has his own tank. No - I don't mean a pet fighter - I mean an actual tank - cannon and all.
c) Entire purpose in life is to "free the gnomish people from their bonds of enslavement!" and spouts random vaguely-communist sounding phrases that don't actually mean much.

I'm sure there are more locked away in my head that I simply can't mentally bring out just yet >.>

In former times I'd have put "catgirl" somewhere on this list; but I've actually gotten to play several <^.^> yay for tolerant DMs! (Especially the ones that give me enough time to show that I can play a catperson every bit as seriously as an elf or dwarf. Well unless they want me to drive the other players bananas - in which case I will <^_^> *jumps in a bananamobile*)

Pika...
2009-07-16, 12:11 PM
I have this idea for a character that I really, really want to play next time I get the chance.

She'll be a halfling magic-user of some sorts... who'll ride around on a pony and be completely packed with dolls. Wooden dolls, silk dolls, wool dolls, blue and clumsy, yellow and elegant, every doll you can imagine. Probably some extradimensional space stored with dolls as well. Those will practically be her family, and each of them will have a name, and she'll talk to them, ask their advice, give them advice, trust them with secrets - and go completely bat**** crazy if one is destroyed. Apart from the dolls, she'll always carry around an iron pot and always brew potions that she'll offer to various party members - preferably without any explanation.

I just wonder if she'll actually fit into a group...

Will she be awakening any of said dolls?

Also, you might want to look into the Doll Golem from older editions (reprinted in the 3.5 Ravenloft books) as a possible companion or familiar.

Choco
2009-07-16, 12:14 PM
Next time anyone in our group wants to run a horrer/undead themed game, I got a char lined up....

A necrophiliac human monk grappler build.

Just to see the look on the DM and other player's faces when they see my char is doing more than "wrestling" the zombie :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-16, 12:48 PM
Next time anyone in our group wants to run a horrer/undead themed game, I got a char lined up....

A necrophiliac human monk grappler build.

Just to see the look on the DM and other player's faces when they see my char is doing more than "wrestling" the zombie :smallbiggrin:Necropolitan Dread Necromancer Pimp. Uses the disguise skill on all of those 1 HD zombies he still has laying around from low levels.

Choco
2009-07-16, 12:50 PM
Necropolitan Dread Necromancer Pimp. Uses the disguise skill on all of those 1 HD zombies he still has laying around from low levels.

THAT is a brilliant idea there... *scribbles this down*

That one I might be able to get away with actually playing too...

Indon
2009-07-16, 12:56 PM
It'd be nifty to play a character with Leadership one day.

But, y'know... Leadership.

In former times I'd have put "catgirl" somewhere on this list; but I've actually gotten to play several <^.^> yay for tolerant DMs! (Especially the ones that give me enough time to show that I can play a catperson every bit as seriously as an elf or dwarf. Well unless they want me to drive the other players bananas - in which case I will <^_^> *jumps in a bananamobile*)

Heh, once I had a DM who made a world in which cat-person was a LA +0 race - their biggest downside was skittishness (they were easy to spook).

So I made Cat from Red Dwarf.

xPANCAKEx
2009-07-16, 01:16 PM

i've often proposed a bard who has ranks in Perform (awful stand up comedy) - so his enemies die with the sound of bad one-liners in their ears

DracoDei
2009-07-16, 02:10 PM
Intellegent, freewilled Skeleton (but was never alive) with turn resistance (with some extra abilities at higher levels based around disassembling himself), Rogue/Cleric of St. Cuthbert/Sorcerer(emphasis on fear spells and slightly gimped evocations). His alignment would work out to Lawful Neutral but his behavior at any one time would almost never match with that. Basically, under non-adventuring circumstances he would appear to be Lawful Good with a depressed personality. Does good because it is the right thing to do, but doesn't ENJOY it... has no spark of joy in his existence.... but if he goes adventuring, or gets appointed to a law enforcement position with the right leeway or responsibilities, then his ration de entire comes to the fore... he likes to make evil lawbreakers SUFFER... suffering for its own sake, not to reform them, get information, or as a deterrent to others... just takes pleasure in their torment. The concepts of redemption and mercy are things he finds intriguing and has been trying unsuccessfully for years to wrap his mind around. He was originally one of the denizens of a demiplane where St. Cuthbert's followers send the souls of those who they kill on special altars who have committed the most grave offenses against St Cuthbert. Their they live out nightmares, pursued by every horrible sort of thing, and brutally slain only to rise up again to start the whole process over again. He arrived on the material plane when a low ranking cleric of St Cuthbert deployed the last line of defense available to the guardians of an isolated temple... a scroll of Miracle. Jack appeared and attempted to intimidate the attacker who was probably 5 times his CR at LEAST. The attacker recognized him for what he was, and drew the perfectly reasonable conclusion that Jack was empowered as an avatar of St Cuthbert and was here to drag him away to eternal torment. The attacker fled. Now Jack is stuck on the material plane, but finds he doesn't mind since here he doesn't have all his "coworkers" competing with him for terrorizing time on his victims.

Highlight below if you still don't get the reference this is all based around.
A younger, less experienced, but noticeably darker version of Jack Skelington from Tim Burtons "The Nightmare Before Christmas". His "co-workers" would be the other inhabitants of Halloween Town.

erikun
2009-07-16, 02:30 PM
Awakened Skeleton who can't speak, and uses sign language to communicate.

While we're at it, Archlich Paladin of Kelemvor.

Gestalt Bard//Sorcerer with multiple personalities - flip a coin to see which personality takes over each day.

Intelligent Ooze who eats anything. (Yay for not needing trail rations!)

Gnome Sorcerer/Rainbow Servant/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Something similar to a Lanturn Archon or Will 'o Wisp, as an inate spellcaster. (Sorcerer/Favored Soul/Wilder?) Its goal is to learn ever spell/power known.

Dwarven Monk that doesn't suck.

Fixer
2009-07-16, 02:35 PM
I just want to play an artificer.

None of my friends will let me play anything where I get to build things. Apparently my creativity breaks their plotlines.

I am a sad player. :smallfrown:

Ridureyu
2009-07-16, 03:26 PM
Medusa Barbarian in a roleplay-heavy campaign.

Oh wait. They did. Did you know that the entire party's reputation is affected when the team mascot monster licks the king in the face and says, "Mine?"

(P. S. it was good for our reputation)

Ganurath
2009-07-16, 03:35 PM
I just want to play an artificer.

None of my friends will let me play anything where I get to build things. Apparently my creativity breaks their plotlines.

I am a sad player. :smallfrown:Oh sure, it starts out with a 3/day endless wand of prestidigitation. Flavors the food, and all. Before you know it, though, it's assassin vine effigies in the courtyard and erotic flesh golems in the guestroom!

Fixer
2009-07-16, 03:49 PM
erotic flesh golems in the guestroom!Actually, there are similar things in the BoEF. I cannot recall the name off the top of my head, though.

But, no, that's not why I want to play one. I just like building things.

Ernir
2009-07-16, 04:03 PM
Awakened [insert tiny creature here] Psion, masquerading as a nonspellcaster's familiar.

Something similar to a Lanturn Archon or Will 'o Wisp, as an inate spellcaster. (Sorcerer/Favored Soul/Wilder?) Its goal is to learn ever spell/power known.

Ooo, that one too.

Sorcerer/Geomancer//Favored Soul gestalt was what I had in mind. :smalltongue:

FMArthur
2009-07-16, 04:09 PM
Wizard 1 / Factotum 5, Buy scrolls of PAO until successfully transformed into a Gauth (lesser Beholder) / Beholder Mage 10 / lolwhocares 4

ScIaDrd
2009-07-16, 04:14 PM
A true, knight in shinnig armor paladin who helps the poor and oppresed, adheres to the code of chivalry, practises courtly love:smallamused: and, fights by smiting the wretched servants of the darkness into submisson and then stting down with them and giving them a heart- to-heart talk until they see the wickedness of their ways and repent. Basically Proving Peace and love through superior firepower and divine righteousness :smallbiggrin:
(and no I havenīt seen Nanoha either, damm you TVTropes:smallsigh:)
But we play in Dragonlnance so no paladins for me, sucks.
Really Gotta roll up a fighter and join a knightly order the next time, really.
An Ersatz-paladinīs better than no paladin.:smallsmile:

Also I wanted to play a tinker gome inventor/crafter, but was told by my DM, that gomes suck and are underpowered:smallconfused: Also my suggestions about building a steampunk Humongous mecha were scrapped right off of the bat. :smallmad: Gotta prove the DM wrong next time.

Ridureyu
2009-07-16, 04:23 PM
Wizard 1 / Factotum 5, Buy scrolls of PAO until successfully transformed into a Gauth (lesser Beholder) / Beholder Mage 10 / lolwhocares 4

Likewise, Become a Beholder by Level 7:

Druid 5/Master of Many Forms 2, Wild Shape, Aberrant Blood, Aberration Wild Shape, Assume Supernatural Ability.

Signmaker
2009-07-16, 05:01 PM
Tornado druid with Pandemonic Silver dagger. Something about "But you'll kill the rest of your party too!" :smalltongue:

Poil
2009-07-16, 05:26 PM
A dwarf ninja/assassin who power leap attacks from hiding with a halberd.

A half-fiend trying to woe a half celestial, doing horrible things in the progress (i.e. turning good).

A barbarian/bard/dragon disciple/frenzied berserker, because it was fun in nwn2. He'll carve 8-lane highways out of anything getting in his way while singing screaming ancient war cries, in dragonic.

An erinyes something, maybe cleric. I just really like them for some reason.

Some form of fey who is a moral lacking, horny and nymphomaniac lesbian*. Oh, wait... AND NOT HAVE THE OTHER PLAYERS AND GM COMPLAIN UNTIL I HAD TO CHANGE! :smallfurious: Interestingly enough they only complained about the fey part, which was the most interesting part to tell you the truth. :smallsigh:

*yeah, I based her off of an anime character, sue kill me.

ideasmith
2009-07-16, 05:27 PM

Sounds like an Unfledged (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Unfledged_(3.5e_Class)) with the Trained Memory feat (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Trained_Memory_(3.5e_Feat)).

Pika...
2009-07-16, 05:41 PM
Actually, there are similar things in the BoEF. I cannot recall the name off the top of my head, though.

<.< ... >.> ... <.< ... ptsss.

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2814&it=1

Best golems around ... <.< ... >.>

Xenogears
2009-07-16, 06:00 PM
I don't have any ideas that a Dm wouldn't let me play.... I just have ideas I can't use cuz I don't get to play anymore (stupid responsibilities....)

A drunken master/barbarian wielding a chair leg with an enchantment that causes it to cast "Zone of Truth" on anyone hit by it......

A warforged Artificer who installs stuff in himself (like a bag of holding in his chest, eternal wands of fireballs for eyes, etc....)

A Kaorti Grafter (what was that class from Lords of Madness... I love that class) who is bent on "perfecting" all normal people.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-07-16, 06:02 PM
Lich pimp named Papa Bones with many castings of gentle repose and one hell of a b***h slap. Guess where his girls come from? :smallamused:

Can any one say 'zombie hooker horde'?

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-16, 06:09 PM
Lich pimp named Papa Bones with many castings of gentle repose and one hell of a b***h slap. Guess where his girls come from? :smallamused:

Can any one say 'zombie hooker horde'?

I'd have the girls call him Bone Daddy.

obnoxious
sig

Pika...
2009-07-16, 06:12 PM
I'd have the girls call him Bone Daddy.

obnoxious
sig

Could they even speak?

And the smell and rotting flesh would scare off most customers.

Go for the Pleasure Golems from the BoEF instead.

Aneantir
2009-07-16, 06:14 PM
Cowboy Goliath. Has levels in Justiciar for hogtie, and is completely stereotypically a cowboy. Except instead of a horse, he rides a Beholder named "Ol' One Eye".

Samuel Sturm
2009-07-16, 06:38 PM
A Dark (La +1) Pixie (La +4) Rouge 5 - Assassin 10. Carries a +3(assassination enchant) cane sword(rapier) and uses poisons. A lot. I can fly at 60', have at will greater invisibility, my hide and move silently are literally through the roof. And a lot of sneak attack.

Will my DM let me play it? Probably not. :smallfrown:

Fun? Oh H**L yes!

Xenogears
2009-07-16, 06:45 PM
A Dark (La +1) Pixie (La +4) Rouge 5 - Assassin 10. Carries a +3(assassination enchant) cane sword(rapier) and uses poisons. A lot. I can fly at 60', have at will greater invisibility, my hide and move silently are literally through the roof. And a lot of sneak attack.

Will my DM let me play it? Probably not. :smallfrown:

Fun? Oh H**L yes!

Find a way to get Iaijutsu strike to make it even better.

SirKazum
2009-07-16, 09:06 PM
Awakened [insert tiny creature here] Psion, masquerading as a nonspellcaster's familiar.

Beat me to it... actually my original idea (back in 2E) was a telepath psionicist, who got somehow permanent-polymorphed or something into a raven. Stand-in wizard optional but welcome. I figured, "yeah I'm a small bird and can't even speak, but hey, telepath! And I don't even have hands to cast spells with, but hey, psionicist! And to top it all, I can fly!"

Another idea that would be fun to play is an intelligent weapon. No need to tweak it, make it Awakened or whatever, just a regular intelligent weapon, as long as it's capable of self-propulsion and speech at least (and preferably a good selection of special abilities).

Or a psicrystal, whose master died or something, but the crystal somehow kept its abilities.

Or an Animated Object (carpet), that somehow got sentient. No, I swear it wasn't inspired by the Aladdin cartoon :smalltongue: I just wanted something to round off the party with the raven, intelligent sword and psicrystal. There was another party member, but I forget what it was.

Ganurath
2009-07-16, 09:08 PM
Could they even speak?They could moan.

Pika...
2009-07-16, 09:16 PM
They could moan.

Image...want...head...out

9mm
2009-07-16, 09:38 PM
Permanently. Drunk. Warforged.
"I...'ma oooonly sliiiiightly da...da...damaaaaaged."
"yousee da parts i'ma maade oooof, yo not have fully f-f-functioning brain either."

Sadly DM shot it down then later brought them is in as "the gnomes have invented the borg."

Froogleyboy
2009-07-16, 09:42 PM

Thats . . . thats HORRIBLE! why would you say that?

TheStagesmith
2009-07-16, 09:43 PM
I've had some pretty kind DMs.

Actually got to play this one: halfling barbarian wielding a 2x4 with an enchantment on it that made anyone hit by it progressively uglier. At various times during the session he would rage and beat random passerby about the head with the Ugly Stick.

Faleldir
2009-07-16, 09:56 PM
Human Wizard with Forlorn and Noncombatant.
That gives me 4 feats at creation: Eschew Materials, Snowcasting, Precocious Apprentice and Winter's Blast.
Broken? Maybe at level 1, but hardly the worst thing a Wizard with flaws could do.

TerrickTerran
2009-07-16, 10:09 PM
Well I did get to play the character for a bit but would have been at 20

Gnome Illuisionist (Focused Specialist...with old school barred Abj/Evo/Necro), Master Specialist/Shadowcraft Mage/Archmage. Was a really fun idea but didn't get to do too much with him. Of course was a bit cracked in the head, but that was half the fun.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-16, 11:16 PM
"I'm Crazy Art, of Crazy Art's Item Emporium! Our prices are so low, we must be crazy! Come see us for all your magic needs! We got potions of every spell out there, we got stat boosters of every level and combination, we even got an Apparatus of the Crab, the greatest invention of the famed Kwalish, for half off! A mere 90,000 GP!"

Essentially an Artificer item peddler based off of used car salesmen. He's adventuring because "I'm so confident in my items, I'm going to take these average Joes out into the wilds and hunt dragons with nothing but my magic gear! That's how good my items are!" Whether or not he asks the party, though...

Flickerdart
2009-07-16, 11:25 PM
A true, knight in shinnig armor paladin who helps the poor and oppresed, adheres to the code of chivalry, practises courtly love:smallamused: and, fights by smiting the wretched servants of the darkness into submisson and then stting down with them and giving them a heart- to-heart talk until they see the wickedness of their ways and repent. Basically Proving Peace and love through superior firepower and divine righteousness :smallbiggrin:
So..O-Chul?

chiasaur11
2009-07-17, 12:32 AM
So..O-Chul?

Only without the insane durability, one would assume.

Skorj
2009-07-17, 01:26 AM
"I'm Crazy Art, of Crazy Art's Item Emporium! Our prices are so low, we must be crazy! Come see us for all your magic needs! We got potions of every spell out there, we got stat boosters of every level and combination, we even got an Apparatus of the Crab, the greatest invention of the famed Kwalish, for half off! A mere 90,000 GP!"

Essentially an Artificer item peddler based off of used car salesmen. He's adventuring because "I'm so confident in my items, I'm going to take these average Joes out into the wilds and hunt dragons with nothing but my magic gear! That's how good my items are!" Whether or not he asks the party, though...

I've actually run that as a DMPC before. "Our weapons are guarenteed or your next of kin gets double your money back!" Have you ever met Lou Zocchi in person? :smallbiggrin: I treasure the supplement he sold me, just for the sales pitch that went along with it. Heck I even put a Zocchi-alike character in a convention tournament dungeon once, and not a single party would buy his discount healing potions "made with genuine snake oil" (which was a pain, as significant healing between battles had been playtested in).

Dixieboy
2009-07-17, 04:05 AM
i've often proposed a bard who has ranks in Perform (awful stand up comedy) - so his enemies die with the sound of bad one-liners in their earsWaaaait

So his performance gets worse the more rank he puts in it?

So thats how Dan Cook does it (Ba-dum-pish)

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-17, 05:51 AM
Waaaait

So his performance gets worse the more rank he puts in it?

So thats how Carrot Top does it (Ba-dum-pish)

Edited for accuracy. :smallcool:

Dixieboy
2009-07-17, 06:54 AM
I challenge you to find a person more unfunny than Dan Cook. (His performance in "Employee of the month" does not count)

This "Carrot top" person is simply too entertaining. :smallwink:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-17, 07:58 AM
The only way to solve this comedian dispute is obviously to play a gestalt Dan Cook//Carrot Top--a bard//artificer who dumps every single skill points into horrible Perform skills and builds props that make his enemies cry.

Totally Guy
2009-07-17, 08:12 AM
Wheelchair Sorcerer and Grandson Jimmy. Technically 2 characters... The Sorcerer is barely conscious and paralysed and little Jimmy has no powers of his own. But when they're together they act as if they were a single Sorcerer character. Jimmy does the all the talking and pushing and tells his barely cognant relative to cast spells when needed.

When they're apart their stats vary back down a to Sorcerer with not enough Charisma (or any stats) to do anything and an underlevelled Commoner.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-07-17, 08:43 AM
Could they even speak?

And the smell and rotting flesh would scare off most customers.

Go for the Pleasure Golems from the BoEF instead.

Again. Lots of castings of Gentle Repose (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentleRepose.htm) and lotsa perfume just in case. Cheaper then Pleasure Golems depending how ya go about it.

And yes. Moan..and hold signs.

The White Knight
2009-07-17, 08:48 AM
I nicked this one off these boards, so I can't take credit for it. Regardless, my DM didn't like it so much.

A Warforged Warlock, with invocations reflavored in a more technological light. Eldritch Blast becomes lasers, Fell Flight becomes rocket boosters, Baleful Utterance becomes sonic emitters, anything defensive (damage reduction, the invocation that grants miss chance, etc) becomes personal shielding, anything that enhances senses (detect magic, darkvision, etc) becomes sensor upgrades. All equipped items magical (which can eventually be self-manufactured thanks to Imbue Item) get similar flavoring.

Someday... someday.

Quincunx
2009-07-17, 09:23 AM
Again. Lots of castings of Gentle Repose (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentleRepose.htm) and lotsa perfume just in case. Cheaper then Pleasure Golems depending how ya go about it.

And yes. Moan..and hold signs.

"The Wedding Chapel: Love for as long as you both shall live!"

Gotta have a veneer of legality over these things, dontchaknow. Reusable wedding rings are enchanted with Prestidigitation to take care of minor spills and stains.

Tiki Snakes
2009-07-17, 10:00 AM
Wheelchair Sorcerer and Grandson Jimmy. Technically 2 characters... The Sorcerer is barely conscious and paralysed and little Jimmy has no powers of his own. But when they're together they act as if they were a single Sorcerer character. Jimmy does the all the talking and pushing and tells his barely cognant relative to cast spells when needed.

When they're apart their stats vary back down a to Sorcerer with not enough Charisma (or any stats) to do anything and an underlevelled Commoner.

I'd suggest instead of low charisma, maybe wisdom and/or intelligence damage down to barely-sentient levels? the age-penalties should have reduced his physical scores plenty already. :)

imperialspectre
2009-07-17, 10:22 AM
I've always wanted to play the "God Killer," a super-abusive Ur-Priest/MT build. Unfortunately, the end result would probably be a mild version of the Word, and therefore I very much doubt that I'll ever be able to actually play that character.

Glass Mouse
2009-07-17, 10:50 AM
Another idea that would be fun to play is an intelligent weapon. No need to tweak it, make it Awakened or whatever, just a regular intelligent weapon, as long as it's capable of self-propulsion and speech at least (and preferably a good selection of special abilities).

That's... actually a pretty awesome idea. I'll have to write that one down so I can play it sometime. Guess you'd have to build it from scratch, though?

Will she be awakening any of said dolls?

Also, you might want to look into the Doll Golem from older editions (reprinted in the 3.5 Ravenloft books) as a possible companion or familiar.

Thanks for the tip, I'll dig up those books! :smallsmile:

But can you awaken objects? The PHB spell only specifies plants and animals. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Eloel
2009-07-17, 11:14 AM
Two bards, playing D&D in-game, basing abilities off of perform(theatrics).
Roleplaying finally in the stats :smallbiggrin:

Stormthorn
2009-07-17, 11:28 AM

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/rahill0/eBay/Warhammer/Necrons/FlayedOnes4.jpg

Cant imagine why.

I want to play an Aboleth Bard!

boomwolf
2009-07-17, 12:01 PM
Trust warhammer to do anything cool before you do.

Anyways, I had an insane gnoll barbarian shut down. he was mostly eating people to death.

Another reject is a highly luck-based pretty much skill-less guy who uses massive amounts of luck rerolls (and has fortune's friend 5 levels.) on the claim he is useless. funny thing is I used him as a bad guy when I DMed later on, and he almost made a TPK there. (2 out of 5 dead, 1 in neg hit points other 2 below 10 hp each. players were level 10, he was 15.)

Third strike is a true "Chaotic Stupid" paladin of slaughter/warshaper changeling. although his dumbness WAS nerfed down by pretty damn good combat skills, and some cowardliness.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-17, 12:14 PM
Another reject is a highly luck-based pretty much skill-less guy who uses massive amounts of luck rerolls (and has fortune's friend 5 levels.) on the claim he is useless. funny thing is I used him as a bad guy when I DMed later on, and he almost made a TPK there. (2 out of 5 dead, 1 in neg hit points other 2 below 10 hp each. players were level 10, he was 15.)I almost did that once. It was after losing a character to a series of bad rolls, I figured out how to essentially never have to roll a die with the character. Banned for the same reason.

Assassin89
2009-07-17, 12:21 PM
Female Pixie bard with ranks in every Knowledge skill. Sole purpose? Annoy and/or inform.

Pixie Monk

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-17, 12:21 PM
Female Pixie bard with ranks in every Knowledge skill. Sole purpose? Annoy and/or inform.

Pixie Monk

By chance does this character fly around the other player's heads and say "Hey!!" repeatedly? <o_@>

Kylarra
2009-07-17, 12:23 PM
By chance does this character fly around the other player's heads and say "Hey!!" repeatedly? <o_@>
Hey!
Hey listen!
Hey!

:smallamused:

Oslecamo
2009-07-17, 12:52 PM
AARRRGHH! The voices! They're haunting me again! Why why did you have to remember me of that?

Pika...
2009-07-17, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll dig up those books! :smallsmile:

But can you awaken objects? The PHB spell only specifies plants and animals. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Pardon. My mistake. I meant animate the objects. I believe it says right in the Animated Objects entry in the MM, or in the spell description in the PHB that if an animated object is left "turned on" long enough it begins to grew quarks and character traits, so mages sometimes keep them as pets.

However, there is a spell (in the Spell Compendium I believe?) which allows you to awaken golems. You can perhaps sway your DM into letting you count animated objects as such. If not, then there is always the doll golem I mentioned earlier.

I managed to get a picture of it (the other creature is a Zombie Golem):

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/DenizensOfDarkness.jpg

If I were playing that character concept (which I really like) I would have my mage take the Craft Construct feat to make herself a "little friend". Then eventually awaken it with the above mentioned spell. This little friend could hide in her bag along with her "regular" dollies, so no one would suspect anything. Oooh, I like this idea. :smallbiggrin:

Umael
2009-07-17, 02:12 PM
Wow... um... some of these concepts are... wow.

My hillbilly hick ranger with his favorite spell "Animal Friendship with Benefits" seems pretty tame now...

Pika...
2009-07-17, 02:20 PM
My hillbilly hick ranger with his favorite spell "Animal Friendship with Benefits" seems pretty tame now...

Hahahahahaha...

No, I think that rings among some of the better ones so far. :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-17, 02:21 PM

My hillbilly hick ranger with his favorite spell "Animal Friendship with Benefits" seems pretty tame now...That was proposed once as a solution for DMs who are unreasonable about what 'familiar' with an animal for Wildshape purposes constitutes.

Player: I turn into a grizzly.
DM: So how do you know bears?
Player: Carnally.
DM: :smalleek:

Kris Strife
2009-07-17, 03:56 PM
Warforged Soul Knife that makes giant drills.

Warforged Druid with a battle cry of 'Transform and Roll out!'

Half Dragon Cleric/Paladin of Io with a quest to some how get Bahamut and Tiamat to hook up... Are there rules on getting gods drunk?

Xenogears
2009-07-17, 05:13 PM
Warforged Soul Knife that makes giant drills.

Warforged Druid with a battle cry of 'Transform and Roll out!'

Half Dragon Cleric/Paladin of Io with a quest to some how get Bahamut and Tiamat to hook up... Are there rules on getting gods drunk?

Make it an urban druid. Now you turn into animated objects. Make it a collossal Wagon.

DracoDei
2009-07-17, 08:54 PM

The intellectual and spiritual inequalities of that make Awaken followed by a reasonable dating and engagement period morally superior... and actually much more interesting to roleplay.

...but yours does have very good shock humor value.

L'intrigant
2009-07-17, 09:41 PM
The last few posts in this thread have made me lawl so hard that I forgot what I was bringing in. :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2009-07-17, 11:16 PM

Beat me to it... actually my original idea (back in 2E) was a telepath psionicist, who got somehow permanent-polymorphed or something into a raven.
Funny; my original idea was from 2nd ed. also. It was a Will 'o Wisp Cleric/Mage trapped in a magic scepter, which learned any spells cast through it. :smallbiggrin:

Although Ernir's commentary brought to mind possibly the most abusive combination.

Sorcerer 3//Favored Soul 3
Sorcerer 3/Mystic Theurge 10//Favored Soul 3/Wilder 10
Sorcerer 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Cerebremancer 10//Favored Soul 13/Wilder 10

You are now a level 23 character with 23rd level Sorcerer casting, 23rd level Favored Soul casting, and 20th level Wilder manifestations. :smallbiggrin:

On to other stuff:

A Psionic Diamond. Same idea as the Psionic Sandwich (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-592735.html), except putting your mind into a +6 Intellect enchanted diamond. Using Schism/True Mind Switch to get your Psicrystal in there too, for more absurdness.

I've always wanted to play something like a DollMage (http://www.houseofwacks.org/ogre/RollCall/C_Type1/DollMage1.html), Golemancer, or someone who fights by animating objects. I guess this isn't so much "my DM won't let me" as much as "I haven't figured out a way to make it work."

Mushroom Ninja
2009-07-17, 11:19 PM
In all too many cases, a warlock :smallfrown:

SirKazum
2009-07-18, 03:51 PM
I've always wanted to play something like a DollMage (http://www.houseofwacks.org/ogre/RollCall/C_Type1/DollMage1.html), Golemancer, or someone who fights by animating objects. I guess this isn't so much "my DM won't let me" as much as "I haven't figured out a way to make it work."

So, basically Geppetto from Shadow Hearts: Covenant then? :smallwink:

AslanCross
2009-07-18, 05:34 PM
A 10-year old vampire warlock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAS-ySFVOXM) who is really older than that. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReallySevenHundredYearsOld)

Gadora
2009-07-18, 10:28 PM
A color-blind dragon hunter.

erikun
2009-07-19, 01:06 AM
So, basically Geppetto from Shadow Hearts: Covenant then? :smallwink:
Shadow Hearts had a sequel? Awesome to know. And Googling "Geppetto" indicates that the character is well named. :smallamused:

ShadowFighter15
2009-07-19, 01:51 AM
A 10-year old vampire warlock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAS-ySFVOXM) who is really older than that. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReallySevenHundredYearsOld)

That reminds me of someone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t-_-sd02dg) else (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline_A.K._McDowell).

Kris Strife
2009-07-19, 04:46 AM
A color-blind dragon hunter.

A blind wizard.

The Mentalist
2009-07-19, 05:47 AM
A blind wizard.

A blind illusionist (I tried this character once, I wanted a Basilisk pet to go with him, (I considered the Medusa wife but no)

SoD
2009-07-19, 05:14 PM
A Thri-keen barbarian who quad-weilds a double-bladed sword, a dwarven urgrosh, a gnomish hooked hammer and an orcish double-axe.

Yukitsu
2009-07-19, 05:28 PM
I had one like that, but he was a Thri kreen wielding a net, a mancatcher and a tanglefoot bag.