PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bard / Warblade [Optimization Build Help]

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-16, 01:08 AM
Hello all again, as the title suggests, I have a question or rather a challenge for you.

Build an optimized Bard / Warblade

His roll being leading the charges, dancing about the battlefeild with 2 weapons hacking and slashing away as he sing (Oratory bard) giddily.

All sources aloud, save Dragon Magazine / WotC
If possible build to 20

Sorry for the briefness but I'm at a loss of how to ask this question accurately aside from throwing up what comes to mind on the page.

Thank you in advance.

Saph
2009-07-16, 01:16 AM
Hmm, difficult. You'll have significant MAD.

Maybe something like this:

Bard 4/Warblade 2/Bard 4/Sublime Chord 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Casting PRC 3

Delaying the Warblade levels until Initiator Level 3 lets you start off with 2nd-level maneuvers.

For feats, you'll probably want Snowflake Wardance, from Frostburn; that'll let you put your Charisma to work. However, that means you can only use 1 weapon, not 2.

No matter how you do it, though, you're going to have major MAD issues; you need pretty much every stat except Wisdom.

- Saph

Zergrusheddie
2009-07-16, 03:20 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5645781&postcount=15

I played this build and had loads of fun. Great maneuvers, great damage addition to your friends, and 19/20 BAB. It's a bit squishie though. And thanks again to Keld Denar for the suggestion.

Best of luck
-Eddie

Serenity
2009-07-16, 03:34 AM
There is no RAW way to do this, but inquire of your DM if you can (perhaps for the price of a feat) switch the Warblade's Intelligence based abilities, such as Battle Ardor, to using Charisma instead. As I said, nothing RAW about it, but it fits with the fluff about the Warblade's sheer zeal for battle, and if allowed, would reduce your problems with MAD.

AslanCross
2009-07-16, 03:41 AM
Hmm, difficult. You'll have significant MAD.

For feats, you'll probably want Snowflake Wardance, from Frostburn; that'll let you put your Charisma to work. However, that means you can only use 1 weapon, not 2.

Actually Saph, looking at the description of Snowflake Wardance, it only says you add the bonus to any slashing weapon you wield with one hand, and that you cannot use it if you are carrying a shield or are encumbered. The only weapons it seems to exclude are two-handed weapons.

Saph
2009-07-16, 03:45 AM
Ah, that works much better, then. You can combo it with Tiger Claw maneuvers for a fairly effective TWFer.

- Saph

ex cathedra
2009-07-16, 04:07 AM
Silverbrow Human, Dragonfire Inspiration : Dragon Magic. Add xd6 elemental damage to your and your allies attacks, where x is your attack bonus from Inspire Courage.

Badge of Valor, ... some vest, Song of the Heart, Inspirational Boost : +1 to your Inspire Courage results, each. That's about +6d6 to all attacks at level 8. A Masterwork Mandolin grants another +1, but that's Perform (String Instrument), which doesn't work well with singing or TWF. It's even worse with Snowflake Wardance.

Everything else is up to you, really; it's a fairly easy and extremely fun build. Be aware: you are not your parties tank. Take up flanking roles, etc.

Saph's suggestion is terrific, but two levels of warblade.. doesn't really make it that much of a warblade, in my humble opinion. :smallredface:

MAD is a problem.
You don't need tons of strength, since you're primarily running off of extra dice damage. Don't dump it entirely, though. A 14 would be swell, I think.
Con is (almost) always necessary. I don't care if you have a d12.
Dex needs to be 15+. You're two-weapon fighting. This goes without saying.
Int powers several warblade abilities. Skills are always nice.
Charisma... should be a minimum of 14, depending on how far you take bard spellcasting. Obviously, going SC means you'll need a lot more. But, going pure bard/warblade (not that it's the best choice, of course. Never downplay the importance of full casting), I would go with 14 so that you get 1 second level spell per day, at least. Not much, but it's better than nothing, imo.
Wisdom can be dumped, to an extent, but your will saves will be mediocre.

Just my two cents.

AslanCross
2009-07-16, 04:25 AM
If his Will save is bad, he can always use Moment of Perfect Mind and/or Iron Heart Surge.

ex cathedra
2009-07-16, 04:33 AM
Of course, I can't believe I forgot to mention the save maneuvers.

You'll have four feats by level 8, as well. That's Song of the White Raven, Song of the Heart, Dragonfire Inspiration, and either something obvious that I have forgotten or, say, two-weapon fighting. From there, TWF tree, Lasting Inspiration Lingering Song (the names trip me up every time), etc. If not for your obscene bonus damage, I would suggest stormguard warrior. It doesn't have much of a place in this build, though.

Longcat
2009-07-16, 04:42 AM
Build suggestion: Bard8/Warblade2/Sublime Chord1/Jade Phoenix Mage9

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-16, 05:15 AM
There is no RAW way to do this, but inquire of your DM if you can (perhaps for the price of a feat) switch the Warblade's Intelligence based abilities, such as Battle Ardor, to using Charisma instead. As I said, nothing RAW about it, but it fits with the fluff about the Warblade's sheer zeal for battle, and if allowed, would reduce your problems with MAD.

Maybe a feat like Kung Fu Genius for monks, but for warblades and works with Charisma. I mean, homebrew it.

quick_comment
2009-07-16, 08:01 AM
Take song of the white raven, dragonfire inspiration, words of creation and go to town with tiger claw TWF maneuvers.