PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class - Arcane Archeologist

scathach_QME
2005-09-27, 01:14 PM
The player wants an Indiana Jones type wizard/rogue.

His version of the class -

Prereqs: Know (Arcana) 5 ranks, Know (History) 5 ranks, Decipher Script 5 ranks, fluent in 2 ancient languages, ability to cast Detect Secret Doors.
Class Skills:
Hit Die: d6
Skill Points: 6+Int per level

Class Features:
Obscure Lore: Obscure Lore works like (and stacks with) the Bardic Knowledge ability
Sigil Sense: Bonus to detection of and saves versus runes, sigils, glyphs, and other written magic.
Magical Lore: +4 on Seearch and Disable Device on magical traps, +2 to Use Magic Device
Uncanny Dodge: Stacks to become Improved Uncanny Dodge
Spells: Beginning at 1st level, and every level beyond that, an Arcane Archaeologist gains new spells as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

1 0 0/2/2 Obscure Lore, Sigil Sense +1, Spells* +1 level of existing spellcasting class
2 1 0/3/3 Magical Lore, Uncanny Dodge +1 level of existing spellcasting class
3 2 1/3/3 Sneak attack +1d6, Trap Sense +1 +1 level of existing spellcasting class
4 3 1/4/4 Sigil Sense +2 +1 level of existing spellcasting class
5 3 1/4/4 Detect Secret Doors as an elf, Bonus Metamagic Feat +1 level of existing spellcasting class
6 4 2/5/5 Sneak attack +2d6, Trap Sense +2 +1 level of existing spellcasting class
7 5 2/5/5 Sigil Sense +3, Bonus Metamagic Feat +1 level of existing spellcasting class
8 6 2/6/6 Trap Sense +3, Improved Evasion +1 level of existing spellcasting class
9 6 3/6/6 Sneak attack +3d6 +1 level of existing spellcasting class
10 7 3/7/7 Sigil Sense +4, Trap Sense +4 +1 level of existing spellcasting class

My version -

Archaic Archeologist
Requirements – Knowledge (history) 4 ranks, Knowledge (arcane) 4 ranks, 2 ancient languages, Decipher Script 4 ranks.
Class Skills – Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (all), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Search, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Rope
Hit Dice – 6
Skill Points – 8
Weapon and Armor Proficiency – Proficient with whip, dagger, hand crossbow, and brass knuckles

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1 0 0 2 2 Obscure Lore, Sigil Sense +1, Contacts 0
2 1 0 3 3 Uncanny Dodge, Magical Lore 1
3 2 1 3 3 Sneak Attack +1d6, Poison Use 2 0
4 3 1 4 4 Sigil Sense +2, Trap Sense +1 3 1
5 3 1 4 4 Familiar, Favored Enemy 3 2 0
6 4 2 5 5 Slippery Mind 3 3 1
7 5 2 5 5 Sigil Sense +3, Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +2 3 3 2 0
8 6 2 6 6 Improved Evasion 3 3 3 1
9 6 3 6 6 Improved Critical vs favored enemy 4 3 3 2
10 7 3 7 7 Rune Use, Trap Sense +3 4 4 3 3

Contacts – Archaic Archeologists who pay a yearly tithe of 100 gold may use the libraries of the Arcane Brotherhood
Magical Lore – +4 to search and disable magical traps, +2 to use magical device
Obscure Lore – Obscure Lore works like (and stacks with) the bardic knowledge ability.
Rune Use – Ability to read enchanted writing without suffering penalties
Sigil Sense – Bonus to detection of and saves against rune magic and written forms of magic
Sneak Attack – Stacks
Uncanny Dodge – Stacks to become improved uncanny dodge

Spell List – spells learned and memorized like wizard, arcane spellcaster (intelligence based)
1st level spells – Alarm, Amplify, Arcane Mark, Camouflage, Comprehend Languages, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Detect Secret Doors, Detect Snares and Pits, Disguise Self, Erase, Feather Fall, Ghost Sound, Guidance, Hawkeye, Hold Portal, Identify, Jump, Light, Mending, Minor Ward, Mount, Object Loresight, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resist Energy, Resist Touch, Resistance, Spider Climb, Surefoot, Unseen Servant
2nd level spells – Absorb Weapon, Alter Self, Amanuensis, Analyze Portal, Arcane Lock, Arcane Sight, Cat's Grace, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Continual Flame, Corpse Candle, Cure Light Wounds, Darkvision, Death Ward, Decoy Image, Delay Poison, Detect Evil, Detect Poison, Detect Undead, Explosive Runes, Find Traps, Freedom of Movement, Glibness, Haste, Illusory Script, Invisibility, Knock, Know Protections, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Locate Object, Misdirection, Nondetection, Obscure Object, Phantasmal Decoy, Portal Alarm, Portal Beacon, Protection from Energy, Remove Fear, Remove Paralysis, Scent, Secret Page, Tongues, Undetectable Alignment, Whisper
3rd level spells – Analyze Dweomer, Animate Objects, Antimagic Field, Arcane Sight, Greater, Break Enchantment, Detect Scrying, Dispel Magic, Find the Path, Fly, Know Vulnerabilities, Locate Creature, True Seeing, Vision
4th level spells – Augury, Dark Way, Detect Thoughts, Discern Location, Filter, Know Greatest Enemy, Legend Lore, Mark of Air, Mark of Death, Mark of Earth, Mark of Fire, Mark of Frost, Mark of Water, Protection from Spells, Remove Blindness/Deafness

Opinions on working out a compromise? I'm not keen on giving him the abilities of a wizard, as I prefer he stay a bit more rogue-ish.

Spasticteapot
2005-09-27, 01:36 PM
Considering that one would likely need to be a wizard to be able to comprehend the stuff in the first place, the first option is a bit better. I would, however, only have him start gaining spells as if he had gained a level in his old class at 2nd level; this would put him a notch behind everyone else, and help maintain game balance.
Also, Uncanny Dodge should be replaced with Trap Sense or Evasion. After all, how many times has Indy narrowly evaded being turned into a pincushion by a bunch of darts?

ILM
2005-09-27, 01:37 PM
For one, his class is overpowered. 10/10 casting progression, medium BAB, two good saves, good skills, full bardic knowledge, two metamagic feats, and rogue abilities is too much in one package. Your class is much better in that regard.

For two, you both need to check your prerequisites. As they are, one can enter his class at 3rd level, and yours at 2nd. Much too low. Aim for entry at 6th level.

I can't comment on the spell list as there are many spells I don't recognize in there. ???

MrNexx
2005-09-27, 02:07 PM
How about a variant on the bard, instead of a PrC?

Drop Bardic Music. In its place, give trap sense and trapfinding, like a rogue. Make Search, Open Lock, and Disable Device class skills. Fiddle with the spell list a little to give him a bunch of options for divination-type spells, and make him a non-spontaneous intelligence-based caster (or just give him the wizard spell list; with a bard's progression, he's not going become uber-powerful).

Now, that's a highly variant bard, admittedly, but it does the job, and gives him access to the stuff he's going to need to play Indiana Jones (including the ability to wear a leather jacket without spell failure, and use a whip!).

I've played a character a lot like this; he was a Cloistered Cleric/Bard/Rogue. Tons of skills, but not as purely suited to things as he could have been.

stainboy
2005-09-27, 03:05 PM
The class itself isn't overpowered (compare to Arcane Trickster), but the prerequisites are ridiculously low. You could take this class as a 2nd-level character.

On the bard variant suggestion MrNexx mentioned, I've got something written up that would work. It's essentially a bard that trades their bardic music for the ability to keep a spellbook and prepare spells in addition to casting spontaneously, bonus feats, and an action-point-like ability to better reflect their role as a jack of all trades. I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.

Everyman
2005-09-27, 11:17 PM
Normally I go through an entire write-up of what I like, what I don't like, etc. I'm reading the comments, and I can only say one thing: Ditto with Mr. Nexx. I have a few adjustments though, so I'll try and combine his post's suggestions and mine...

CLASS LOOKS AS FOLLOWS

"Mystic Archeologist" (Bard Variant)
Remove the following:
1) Bardic Music
2) Remove all Cure spells, Summon Spells, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Song of Discord, Otto's Irrestible Dance from the spell list.

Add in the following:
1) Trapfinding (1st level)
2) Trap Sense (Starting at +1 at 3rd level, and progressing by +1 every three levels)
3) Search, Open Lock, and Disable Device become class skills
4) Skill points: 6 + Intelligence mod (4x this at 1st level)
5) Bonus feats at 5th level and every 5 afterwards (must be either item creation feats)
6) Gains "Diligent" as a bonus feat at 2nd level

Change the following:
1) Bardic Music becomes "Obscure Lore" (functions the same)
2) Spellcasting is Intelligence-based, but keeps the same progression.
EDIT
3) Prepares spells instead of Spontaneous

The end result is a class that is very-much skill based, but still functions as a jack o' all trades. He'll no longer be a healer or summoner of any kind, but those roles don't exactly sound like the concept of the character anyway.

Of course, this may not be a perfect fit. :)

Krilia
2005-09-28, 09:57 AM
You may want to take a look at the Emerald Society Archaeologist in the Player's Guide to Arcanis, though I will mention it's not a caster class. But it IS definitely an Indiana Jones class.

It gives things like the ability to Identify as an extraordinary ability a certain number of times a day, take a 20 on two knowledge skills, get the exotic weapon proficiency whip....

scathach_QME
2005-09-28, 07:09 PM
Okay, my version, take 2 -

Archaic Archeologist
Requirements – Knowledge (history) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcane) 6 ranks, 2 ancient languages, Decipher Script 8 ranks, Disable Device 8 ranks, Intelligence 13+
Class Skills – Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (all), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Search, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Rope
Hit Dice – 6
Skill Points – 8
Weapon and Armor Proficiency – Proficient with whip, dagger, hand crossbow, and brass knuckles

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1 0 0 2 2 Obscure Lore, Sigil Sense +1, Contacts 0
2 1 0 3 3 Uncanny Dodge, Magical Lore, Detect Secret Doors 1
3 2 1 3 3 Sneak Attack +1d6, Poison Use 2 0
4 3 1 4 4 Sigil Sense +2, Trap Sense +1 3 1
5 3 1 4 4 Familiar, Favored Enemy 3 2 0
6 4 2 5 5 Slippery Mind, Sneak Attack +2d6 3 3 1
7 5 2 5 5 Sigil Sense +3, Trap Sense +2 3 3 2 0
8 6 2 6 6 Improved Evasion 3 3 3 1
9 6 3 6 6 Improved Critical vs favored enemy, Favored enemy (2) 4 3 3 2
10 7 3 7 7 Rune Use, Trap Sense +3, Sneak Attack 3d6 4 4 3 3

Contacts – Archaic Archeologists who pay a yearly tithe of 100 gold may use the libraries of the Arcane Brotherhood
Magical Lore – +4 to search and disable magical traps, +2 to use magical device
Obscure Lore – Obscure Lore works like (and stacks with) the bardic knowledge ability.
Rune Use – Ability to read enchanted writing without suffering penalties
Sigil Sense – Bonus to detection of and saves against rune magic and written forms of magic
Sneak Attack – Stacks
Uncanny Dodge – Stacks to become improved uncanny dodge
Detect Secret Doors – Like an Elf

Spell List – spells learned and memorized like wizard, arcane spellcaster (intelligence based)
1st level spells – Alarm, Amplify, Arcane Mark, Camouflage, Comprehend Languages, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Detect Secret Doors, Detect Snares and Pits, Disguise Self, Erase, Feather Fall, Ghost Sound, Guidance, Hawkeye, Hold Portal, Identify, Jump, Light, Mending, Minor Ward, Mount, Object Loresight, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resist Energy, Resist Touch, Resistance, Spider Climb, Surefoot, Unseen Servant
2nd level spells – Absorb Weapon, Alter Self, Amanuensis, Analyze Portal, Arcane Lock, Arcane Sight, Cat's Grace, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Continual Flame, Corpse Candle, Cure Light Wounds, Darkvision, Death Ward, Decoy Image, Delay Poison, Detect Evil, Detect Poison, Detect Undead, Explosive Runes, Find Traps, Freedom of Movement, Glibness, Haste, Illusory Script, Invisibility, Knock, Know Protections, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Locate Object, Misdirection, Nondetection, Obscure Object, Phantasmal Decoy, Portal Alarm, Portal Beacon, Protection from Energy, Remove Fear, Remove Paralysis, Scent, Secret Page, Tongues, Undetectable Alignment, Whisper
3rd level spells – Analyze Dweomer, Animate Objects, Antimagic Field, Arcane Sight, Greater, Break Enchantment, Detect Scrying, Dispel Magic, Find the Path, Fly, Know Vulnerabilities, Locate Creature, True Seeing, Vision
4th level spells – Augury, Dark Way, Detect Thoughts, Discern Location, Filter, Know Greatest Enemy, Legend Lore, Mark of Air, Mark of Death, Mark of Earth, Mark of Fire, Mark of Frost, Mark of Water, Protection from Spells, Remove Blindness/Deafness

Demon_Arcana
2005-09-28, 07:41 PM
To balance every1 3rd lvl no spellcastin delet all abilities and add sneak at every1 lvl where she no longer get a spell casting lvl throw in wizard feats (1 at 3 1 at 6 and 1 at 9) then throw in 2 low power arcane or sneaking abilities and an uncany dodge or evasion at 5th lvl