PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember a book title

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-16, 12:13 PM
I came across a book a few years ago, when I was teaching as a substitute. It started out when a mother ditches her kids in a broken down car somewhere in Rhode Island, I think in a mall parking lot. The kids decide to walk down to some relative's place, and that's about as far as I got.

Any suggestions?

Shining Sadist
2009-07-16, 12:38 PM
Homecoming? Cynthia Voigt? I think.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-16, 12:41 PM
Looks like it. I Googled it, and am looking over the Wiki on it. It seems to match up pretty closely to my memories...

I'll check it out at a bookstore this weekend. Thanks!

Shades of Gray
2009-07-16, 01:34 PM
Definitely sounds like homecoming. I read that a few years ago. The main character's name was Dicey, right?

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-16, 02:01 PM
Definitely sounds like homecoming. I read that a few years ago. The main character's name was Dicey, right?

According to the Wiki article, yes. And Dicey sounds familiar to me as well. I remember a scene where one of the kids falls off a rock at a beach, and whacks his head pretty good. They also meet a couple of teenagers who help a bit, and I remember that they were heading down to see a relative they didn't know except from letters.

There was also something about a song their parents sang to them as little kids, but the details elude me at the moment.

So I'm fairly sure this is the book I'm looking for.

The beginning was quite good. Does the rest of the book/series match up before I buy the entire set?