PDA

View Full Version : Kroot [3.5 Race]

Lolzords
2009-07-16, 03:22 PM
I've been working and reworking this race and I posted it on the D&D wikipedia a few days ago. It's based on the Kroot from Warhammer 40k, I've had to change a few bits from the original to make it work ingame. (Genetic material is now passed on to future generations, instead of evolving whoever ate it.) Tell me what you think, suggestions/comments? Sorry for anything in it that seems overly stupid, it's my first homebrew.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Kroot_(3.5e_Race)

SurlySeraph
2009-07-16, 11:35 PM
Hm. -6 to mental stats is a big hit, but since you can make it a -2 to each and Kroot are mainly melee fighters, it's not a huge disadvantage. Their special abilities are quite strong, and I'm not sure whether the mental hit offsets that enough. And being able to customize your ability scores is always nice.
I would make Cannibalize take a full-round action at very least. Unless you're a gulper eel, you cannot eat something the size of yourself in less than six seconds.
I think they're fairly balanced (possibly worthy of LA +1), but definitely get a second opinion.

Lolzords
2009-07-18, 08:38 AM
Hm. -6 to mental stats is a big hit, but since you can make it a -2 to each and Kroot are mainly melee fighters, it's not a huge disadvantage. Their special abilities are quite strong, and I'm not sure whether the mental hit offsets that enough. And being able to customize your ability scores is always nice.
I would make Cannibalize take a full-round action at very least. Unless you're a gulper eel, you cannot eat something the size of yourself in less than six seconds.
I think they're fairly balanced (possibly worthy of LA +1), but definitely get a second opinion.

Balance was the main problem I had when making this. I don't really expect the players to eat during combat, but the it's there just incase. I should also shove in that it provokes an AOO.

Also I lessened the +2 natural armor bonus to +1, +2 seemed a bit much on second review.

Thanks for the feedback.

Frog Dragon
2009-07-18, 12:29 PM
As it is now, I'd say you could drop the - to mental stats to -4

Lolzords
2009-07-18, 06:34 PM
As it is now, I'd say you could drop the - to mental stats to -4

Yeah, I since did that, and modified the Cannibalization ability, someone in the chatroom tore the **** outta it and said it was weak, even if it was, it appears they don't have the same civility there as they do here. >.>

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-18, 11:03 PM
I don't see how the more HD a creature you're cannibalizing effects the hp gain. Unless I misunderstand, how would eating a 6th level human, be different than eating a 1st level human?

Lolzords
2009-07-19, 10:41 AM
I don't see how the more HD a creature you're cannibalizing effects the hp gain. Unless I misunderstand, how would eating a 6th level human, be different than eating a 1st level human?

I'm afraid you read it wrong, it's racial HD, a 20th level human gives the same hp as a 1st level human, but a tiger with 6 racial HD will give back 6 times as more.