PDA

View Full Version : A challenge to the brave homebrewers.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-07-16, 04:04 PM
Having clicked this thread you may either be bored, or daring.
So, I have a challenge to all you home brewers out there, using the basic ideas behind the Weapons of Legacy, build the Witchblade.
Yes this is mostly for my own personal use as balance is always a problem when I build things. But I've always been a Top Cow buff and was hoping someone could help me build the balance between the Light and the Dark.
This can be solo or a group project, and I can answer questions. The main idea however is that the Witchblade is intelligent, and it's goals and motives aren't always clear beyond keeping overly zealous shiny lawful outsiders, as well as angry angry evil outsiders in check.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-16, 05:45 PM
I would, but I lack access to Weapons of Legacy. :smallfrown:

Sissyphus
2009-07-16, 05:58 PM
Sounds interesting, i'll give it a run, but to point out, this item is easily the equivalent of an epic level artifact, and as such inherently overpowered seeming, also it might need to go so far as having someone design a class specifically around it, like Mr. Burlews Bearer of the ancestral weapon.

Notes for construction:
Base: Spiked Gauntlet with a 1,000 gp ruby and a 700 gp Saphire in it (when you don't know what the boop it is)
Legacy powers: to be added later, need to include effects of legend lore about past wielders, armor functions, weapon/item functions
Sentient:
Speech and telepathy
Alignment: neutral, special purpose to slay outsider paragons of Good and Evil
Stats: epic: 30 intelligence 24 charisma 18 Wisdom, non epic 19 intelligence, 19 charisma 10 Wisdom.
Special powers (non epic): Lightning bolt 10d6 damage when servicing it's desire
3/day cure moderate wounds (2d8+3) wielder only
1/day cure serious wounds (3d8+3) weilder only
epic: (add)
Detect good, detect evil at will
Animate dead 1/day

playswithfire
2009-07-16, 06:01 PM
This excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050701a&page=2) should give a good idea of the format of a weapon of legacy.

I'm not familiar with the Witchblade universe, but looking at the wikipedia entry, we're talking about a pretty powerful object

When wielded by an unworthy user, that person will lose their arm. It forms a symbiotic relationship with the host, who can hear the Witchblade. When used, it expands across the body of the wielder, often shredding clothes and covering the body like armour. The amount and coverage of the armour depends on the level of the threat. For example, when facing mortals, it will usually generate less armour than when facing a demon of hell. This armor can produce extensions of itself that can form swords, other stabbing weapons, hooks, chains, shields, and wings, enabling the wielder to fly. It may also become temperamental if the wielder chooses not to use it. When wielded, it can shoot energy blasts from the hand or sword, fire projectile darts, and whip-like grapples to attack or to climb. The Witchblade is also an excellent lock pick, and can heal wounds, even mortal ones. The Witchblade can re-animate the dead, empathically show the wielder scenes of great trauma, and allow the wielder to relive experiences from past wielders as dreams.

Could be fun. I will mull the possibilities.

Sissyphus
2009-07-16, 06:34 PM
I was thinking it should be Caster level 25 or so myself, and definitely an epic artifact level Item, perhaps grant it artifact type powers, so a set it uses sentiently, a set that can be accessed like an artifact, and a set of legacy abilities wich are unlock over time, i might try my hand at the rituals, but am not experienced with the witchblade universe so have no clue about that stuff, and since i'm busy creating a campaighn setting it'd take me some time to get around to looking at stuff for more in depth ritual creation

Debihuman
2009-07-16, 07:28 PM
I am only familiar with the witchblade from the tv series and somehow, I don't think that's the version you want.

Debby

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-07-16, 07:38 PM
I am only familiar with the witchblade from the tv series and somehow, I don't think that's the version you want.

Debby
Why do you have a signature above your signature :smallconfused:.

And I wasn't aware there was a move. *Obvious lie followed by glare*

Debihuman
2009-07-16, 09:25 PM
I sign my posts rather than putting it in a signature (seems silly I know) but I do that so people won't refer to me "Debi."

I'm not sure why the "obviously lie followed by a glare" was necessary. I watched the tv series from a few years back. However, my google-fu seems to have uncovered that a movie of Witchblade is due out in 2010. http://witchblade-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/

Debby

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-07-17, 12:05 AM
I sign my posts rather than putting it in a signature (seems silly I know) but I do that so people won't refer to me "Debi."

I'm not sure why the "obviously lie followed by a glare" was necessary. I watched the tv series from a few years back. However, my google-fu seems to have uncovered that a movie of Witchblade is due out in 2010. http://witchblade-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/

Debby
All I know is the last batch of live action Witchblade was forcibly forgettable.

Sissyphus
2009-07-17, 06:00 PM
for the history for it how long do you want that? i could whip mechanics out for the weapon fairly quickly, and possibly create a set of challenges, but i'm not that familiar with the universe, and at best i can probably spin up about half as much stuff is usually provided for weapon lore (more if i fet lucky and find more sources to tap)

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-07-18, 11:04 PM
for the history for it how long do you want that? i could whip mechanics out for the weapon fairly quickly, and possibly create a set of challenges, but i'm not that familiar with the universe, and at best i can probably spin up about half as much stuff is usually provided for weapon lore (more if i fet lucky and find more sources to tap)

History I can easily add on my own.
The item is basically the balance between the darkness and the light.

Sissyphus
2009-07-19, 08:59 AM
so then should i create a set of rituals for it (the things to unlock it's legacy powers) or will you do those too?

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-07-19, 10:45 PM
so then should i create a set of rituals for it (the things to unlock it's legacy powers) or will you do those too?
The Witchblade kind of reacts to other artifacts, yet it's powers still come from what would seem like accomplishing specific tasks, so rituals would probably be a good idea.