PDA

View Full Version : Good vestiges for anima mages

Twilight Jack
2009-07-16, 04:32 PM
Just like the title says, I'm looking for a good vestige or three for an anima mage BBEG in my game. The character clocks in at ECL 10 right now: Human Binder 1/Transmuter 3/Anima Mage 6. Maximum vestige level is 4th.

What suggestions and combos might you put forth?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-16, 04:34 PM
I'm curious how you get Anima Mage with only one level of Binder.

Emong
2009-07-16, 04:35 PM
The Improved Binding feat.

Twilight Jack
2009-07-16, 04:38 PM
I'm curious how you get Anima Mage with only one level of Binder.

I can get it with no levels of Binder if I invoke the stinky, stinky gruyere.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-16, 04:42 PM
The Improved Binding feat.

Well, that goes against the design principle set by WotC, but then again, it's WotC we're talking about - they're exactly the kind of people who would do that.

Twilight Jack
2009-07-16, 04:55 PM
Well, that goes against the design principle set by WotC, but then again, it's WotC we're talking about - they're exactly the kind of people who would do that.

All they needed to do to prevent it was to make the PrC's prerequisite read, "Effective Binder Level 3rd," instead of , "able to bind 2nd level vestiges."

It would have even used fewer words.

EDIT: This thread derailed fast. :smallwink: Care to bring it back in?

Draken
2009-07-16, 06:46 PM
Well. Transmuter. Let me see.

Dahlver-nar will give you a small boost to your defenses, increasing Natural Armor by an amount equal to your constitution score.

Focalor's aura of sadness is also nice to have for your BBEG, it will give numerous penalties to the party (attacks, saves, skills).

Karsus is interesting if your villain will use spells off of magic items (go +2 DCs).

Paimon is another boost if you intend to wade into combat with your transmuting (more dexterity, uncanny dodge).

The combination of deeper darkness and see in Darkness makes Tenebrous a nice option for any strategy you select.

That's it for my suggestions.

quick_comment
2009-07-16, 06:49 PM
It depends on what you are doing. Binders have great versatility.

mabriss lethe
2009-07-16, 08:22 PM
well, it's a fine line with an anima mage. Do you pick powers you want to use, or do you pick powers you want to throw away on Anima Mage abilities?

Maybe go with ones who have lower bind DCs just to increase your likelihood of getting a better deal. If you drop another level into binder, that brings you up to an effective 8, which means you could pick 2 vestiges. One for its own abilities and one for fueling anima mage abilities.

Person_Man
2009-07-17, 09:45 AM
I assume you've read the Binder Handbook (forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=784085). If not, go do so.

The real key for you is Vestige Metamagic - your ability to give up a bound ability to fuel metamagic. It really doesn't matter what you bind.

quick_comment
2009-07-17, 01:20 PM
I assume you've read the Binder Handbook (forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=784085). If not, go do so.

The real key for you is Vestige Metamagic - your ability to give up a bound ability to fuel metamagic. It really doesn't matter what you bind.

He can give up useless stuff through, like Tenebrous's darkness (replicated by a low level spell) or the ones that give armor proficiency.

Also, if he uses the vestige metamagic to fuel persist spell, then it really doesnt matter what he gives it up, because he gets it back in under a minute.