PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Weapon Proficiency

Random832
2009-07-16, 06:13 PM
Is there an official way to get proficiency with any and/or all improvised weapons?

Frosty
2009-07-16, 06:32 PM
I think it's just exactly as you wrote. You can take Weapon Proficiency in anything, including Improvised Weaponry, which gives you proficiency in all Improvised weapons. Drunken Masters get that feat for free.

AslanCross
2009-07-16, 06:33 PM
There seems to be none. Even the Drunken Master PrC only adds extra damage. I wonder why they'd make a class that specializes in weapons it has a -4 attack penalty on, but oh well.

The class gives all sorts of bonuses to the use of Improvised Weapons, but it says nothing about not being penalized. XP

EDITED for grammar, didn't realize the typo until I was quoted. XP

Thurbane
2009-07-16, 06:37 PM
Not RAW, but there's a couple of feats over at the Netbook of Feats (http://datadeco.com/nbofeats/) that help: Anything Goes Combat, Anything Goes Long, Improvised Weapons and Stone Thrower.

Quietus
2009-07-16, 07:13 PM
There seems to be none. Even the Drunken Master PrC only adds extra damage. I wonder why they'd make a class that specializes it has weapons it has a -4 attack penalty on, but oh well.

The class gives all sorts of bonuses to the use of Improvised Weapons, but it says nothing about not being penalized. XP

Ask the monk. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-07-16, 07:16 PM
There seems to be none. Even the Drunken Master PrC only adds extra damage. I wonder why they'd make a class that specializes it has weapons it has a -4 attack penalty on, but oh well.

They're drunk AND they're monks. Constantly drunk, probably lawful, monks.

Just don't ask.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-16, 10:49 PM
No possible way. Master of Masks:Gladiator doesn't even get it. There are a few feats that reduce the penalty to -2, but other than that, no.

My personal method? Quarterstaves and Clubs are free, meaning you can craft one as a free action for no material component cost. Pick up, say, a barstool, 'craft' a club, and just refluff the entire thing as fighting with a barstool.

Darrin
2009-07-16, 10:53 PM
Is there an official way to get proficiency with any and/or all improvised weapons?

It depends on what you mean by "official".

Hulking Hurler (CWar) reduces the improvised penalty to -2. If you allow Completes, that's fairly official.

The only way to get rid of the improvised penalty completely is if you allow Dragon magazine material. Dragon #295 (which would still be considered 3.0 material) has a PrC called the Brawler that eliminates the -4 penalty. It has some other nifty features, but the prereqs are a bit onerous. On the same page, there's also a general feat called Improvised Weapon that reduces the penalty to -2. No prereqs, so easier to pick up than Hulking Hurler.

There's also the City Brawler barbarian variant in Dragon #349 that reduces the improvised penalty to -2, which is available at ECL 1. It also gives you Improved Unarmed Strike (the non-monk version) and TWF (Unarmed Strike only). Although you can't really stack the -2 penalty with a similar reduction from Hulking Hurler or the Improvised Weapon feat, you can combine City Brawler with the Spirit Lion Totem (CChamp) for pounce. And you might want to add Whirling Frenzy (UA) on there as well.

This pairs up very nicely with Battle Dancer (Dragon Compendium), Shou Disciple (Unapproachable East), or Fist of the Forest (CChamp) if you want something that looks like what the monk should have been: tearing things apart with your bare hands, full BAB, pounce, class abilities that actually work together, etc.

Coming at it from another angle, the spell Master's Touch (Spell Compendium) might come in handy. It gives you proficiency in one item, either a weapon or shield, that you are currently holding in your hand. The spell doesn't specify what kind of weapon it can be, and an improvised weapon would still be considered a weapon.

AslanCross
2009-07-16, 11:22 PM
They're drunk AND they're monks. Constantly drunk, probably lawful, monks.

Just don't ask.

Flurry of Blows with a tankard! -6 penalty to all my attacks!

...yeah. They sure sound drunk.

subject42
2009-07-17, 09:56 AM
Doesn't the "Caught Off Guard" feat from Pathfinder do something like this?

Indon
2009-07-17, 02:31 PM
My personal method? Quarterstaves and Clubs are free, meaning you can craft one as a free action for no material component cost. Pick up, say, a barstool, 'craft' a club, and just refluff the entire thing as fighting with a barstool.

It seems to me that if you craft a club from a barstool, it's because you pulled one of the legs out.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-17, 02:35 PM

You are a BAD man. A BAD man.

Person_Man
2009-07-17, 02:50 PM
There's also the anyweapon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6446674&postcount=6).

FMArthur
2009-07-17, 03:29 PM

This is the most sensible rules disaster I've seen so far. :smallconfused:

talus21
2009-07-17, 03:45 PM

And if one of your bar room opponents happens to be a vampire your barstool can be fashioned into a handy stake in short notice.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-17, 04:02 PM
This is the most sensible rules disaster I've seen so far. :smallconfused:Most TO is surprisingly useful for ordinary play. You just have to dial it back. A lot. No, more. More than that. Like, 'turn Ao into a commoner' levels of pulling back. Certain concepts are only viable when you're willing to tie the rules into a bow.

RTGoodman
2009-07-17, 04:36 PM
And if one of your bar room opponents happens to be a vampire your barstool can be fashioned into a handy stake in short notice.

Nevermind the fact that there're no called shot rules in 3.x and no rules for staking a vampire,* either... :smalltongue:

*Well, I guess unless you get the vampire Helpless and "coup de grace" it with a stake or something.