PDA

View Full Version : Jump To Conclusions [A new spell for D&D 3.5]

Ertier
2009-07-16, 07:37 PM
"He's been laughing at us behind our backs, making secret deals with mercenaries, ghosts, and murderers to undermine the security of the Azure City military. " - Miko Miyazaki

Player's do it all the time. Hell, sometimes NPCs will too. Here is a new cantrip/orison that will help your characters jump to conclusions, whether they are correct or not. (Please critique)

Jump to Conclusion

Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Clr 0, Pal 1
Components: V, S, F (see Text)
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal
Target: Any combination of two people, places or objects
Duration: Instantaneous

When this spell is cast, the caster connects knowledge of a specific person or object to that of another person or object. Thus the caster is able to guess at a relationship between the two. However, the spell only reveals facts, not intent, so the caster must make a Will Save (rolled in secret by the DM) equal the DC of a 0-Level Divination spell as cast by them to avoid drawing false conclusions. If they succeed, they receive a small number of facts about the relationship between the objects/people (similar to the results of a DC 20 Knowledge check as guideline). If the caster fails however, their mind twists the information, resulting in incorrect or skewed information as per the DMs discretion. In addition the spell is only 50% likely to work if the save succeeds (if it fails, the caster always receives flawed information).

Focus: If the object, place or person in question is not present, some sort of connection to them is required at the time of casting such as a lock of hair, a drawing, a piece of paper with their name and so on. This can be forgone, but the effectiveness of the spell is reduced to 25% and the DC for a correct conclusion is multiplied by 1.5 (round up).

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-16, 08:28 PM
Player's do it all the time. Hell, sometimes NPCs will too. Here is a new cantrip/orison that will help your characters jump to conclusions, whether they are correct or not. (Please critique)

And here I was hoping it would be a spell that replaces Knowledge checks with Jump checks. :smallfrown:

Generally divinations come with percentages, not Will saves, but I think it works well in this case. You might still want to bump it up to level 1 or 2, though, because with the Will save you can eventually get this to 100% chance of success with the right resources.

Sereg
2009-07-17, 12:37 AM
And here I was hoping it would be a spell that replaces Knowledge checks with Jump checks. :smallfrown:

That...would be awesome!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-17, 01:10 AM
Jump to Conclusions

Enchantment (mind-affecting)
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Bard 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Any time that the victim would make a Knowledge check, a Sense Motive check, a Spellcraft check, a Dark Knowlege check, or a Bardic Knowledge check during the duration of the spell, the victim must also roll a Jump check with the same DC. If the Jump check is successful and the Knowledge check fails, or if both checks fail, the victim draws an erroneous conclusion, but believes it to be entirely correct. If both checks succeed, there is a 50% chance of such a conclusion being drawn. If the Knowledge check succeeds and the Jump check fails, the victim receives the information as normal.

A victim under the effects of this spell cannot take 10 on Knowledge checks.

arguskos
2009-07-17, 01:13 AM
Man, I was hoping for a Phantom Tollbooth reference here. Shame.

In any case, I like this spell. The game needs more cantrips!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-17, 01:14 AM
Man, I was hoping for a Phantom Tollbooth reference here. Shame.

I was as well...

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-17, 08:05 AM
Any time that the victim would make a Knowledge check, a Sense Motive check, or a Bardic Knowledge check during the duration of the spell, the victim must also roll a Jump check with the same DC.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Add in, oh, Dark Knowledge and Spellcraft and it would be perfect.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-17, 09:00 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about! Add in, oh, Dark Knowledge and Spellcraft and it would be perfect.

Done and done. :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2009-07-20, 11:22 PM
May I borrow this for the Watchdog? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5585500&postcount=5.

I think the watchdog would be immune to this, but perhaps the Lethargians would be able to cast this at will.

Debby

Strawman
2009-07-20, 11:33 PM
So all that jumping around in mmorpg's is an attempt to activate divination magic? :smallbiggrin:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-21, 07:56 AM
So all that jumping around in mmorpg's is an attempt to activate divination magic? :smallbiggrin:

"Hello, my good <username>! Welcome to <town>! Would you like a quest?"

"I'm not sure; what is it?"

"You need to kill <big monster>!"

"Hmm...I'm not sure that's a good idea. Let me think about it for a minute."

*boing* *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing*

"Sounds good. I'll take it."