PDA

View Full Version : Preference or Comfort?

fetfet
2009-07-16, 07:38 PM
Hey.

I've just been offered to run a gaming table for a week. Usually the gamers there play D&D 3.5, and while I respect the system and can run it, I had a different idea.

I've been getting into the World of Darkness as of late, and would like to run a short Werewolf: the Forsaken story. I wrote the story for W:tF, but can convert it to 3.5.

The group as a rule is not usually open to new ideas, but I believe that I can get them to play, maybe. If not, I'll be running it in 3.5

So the question is, should I push for Werewolf, my preference, or simply stick to 3.5, for comfort?

Riffington
2009-07-16, 07:48 PM
Expanding limits is good.
Also, 3.5 is not ideal for telling stories about werewolves.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-16, 07:50 PM
well the main job of a DM is to do what the players want. this of course does not mean following their every whim and giving them whatever they ask for. this means more not going outside their comfort boundaries and not being an absolute jerk. so personally I'd go for comfort while suggesting they try out the werewolf game.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-16, 07:50 PM
I'd say present your case, then put it to a vote.

AslanCross
2009-07-16, 08:31 PM
Agreed, it should be a group decision.

As has been mentioned above, D&D 3.5 is built primarily around the assumption that werewolves are a monster race and not primarily PC material. Might be better to run WoD in this case.

fetfet
2009-07-16, 09:04 PM
The werewolf part isn't the most important part. It involves spirits with bans, sure, but it could be adapted to 3.5 with the PCs as regular PHB races. It just fits better in WoD. And I've never ran a full WoD encounter.

valadil
2009-07-16, 09:08 PM
GMing is a lot of work, often unappreciated. You should get to choose your own system.

Alejandro
2009-07-16, 09:23 PM
If you are only GMing there for a week, and have never actually run WoD, I'd run what you were already familiar with, instead of trying to learn on the fly with strangers(?)

fetfet
2009-07-16, 09:25 PM
I've run WoD, just not IRL.

Quietus
2009-07-16, 10:27 PM
Talk to your players about it. Often, gamers will resist change, which is unfortunate, but if you've already established yourself as being able to tell a good story, leverage that. It may also help if the story you want to tell isn't a particularly long one, so that you can say "Just give it a few sessions, give the system an honest chance. If you don't like it, we can port it over to 3.5"