PDA

View Full Version : Method for calculating speeds.

Jergmo
2009-07-16, 09:46 PM
Alright, I'm sure we can all agree that it's silly that every human/etc. runs at the exact same base speed, so I've come up with a simple way of calculating a creature's speed for a little more realism.

Dexterity score + Constitution score + Base speed / 1.5 rounded down to the nearest 5.

Ex:
Average human: 10 + 10 + 30 / 1.5 rounded down = 30 ft.
Above average human: 14 + 14 + 30 / 1.5 rounded down = 35 ft.
Exceptional human: 16 + 16 + 30 / 1.5 rounded down = 40 ft.

And so on and so forth with various combinations.

As an example for a real life comparison, an extraordinary sprinter, say an Olympic runner with 16-18 Dex and Con with the Run feat would have a speed of 40 ft., x5 when running, equaling 200 feet per round at maximum. 200 / 6 = 33.3 feet per second. 300/3.33 = 9, putting that guy around the point of the current world record for the 100 metre dash.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-17, 08:48 AM
I like the idea. I would change one thing, though: make it selectable between Str+Dex and Con+Dex, the former for sprinters with less endurance and the latter for distance runners with less burst speed. Someone choosing Str would get the equivalent of Run for free and take higher long term travel penalties, and someone choosing Con would increase their overland speed similarly and take lower long term travel penalties. That may be a bit more granular than you're looking for, but keeping it as-is leaves Str-based characters at a disadvantage and using Str+Dex+Con is too much.

TSED
2009-07-17, 05:53 PM
I have two complaints about it, and they're really rather minor:

1) Great, another reason to take a high con and dex. Those stats weren't good enough yet.

2) Even more bookkeeping. It works wonderfully from a simulationist point of view, and perhaps a roleplayer's, but from a gamist's it's slightly pointless. However: not everyone's a gamist!

Definitely agree with the strength option mentioned above.

This kind of gave me the idea of letting every biped choose either Run or Endurance as bonus feats. Just because otherwise you only ever blow those feats on prereqs, and my players really do not bother planning ahead like that. Or try to break things ever. Wouldn't work for every group though I guess.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-17, 10:06 PM
I have two complaints about it, and they're really rather minor:

1) Great, another reason to take a high con and dex. Those stats weren't good enough yet.

Not necessarily. A 10 in both leaves you with the current speeds, so anyone who would dump them before will anyway with this system.

2) Even more bookkeeping. It works wonderfully from a simulationist point of view, and perhaps a roleplayer's, but from a gamist's it's slightly pointless. However: not everyone's a gamist!

Well, you only need to calculate it once at creation, then if you increase your scores--doing it at level-up is easy, and doing it mid-game with a bear's endurance or whatever isn't too much extra math.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, mind, just that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

This kind of gave me the idea of letting every biped choose either Run or Endurance as bonus feats. Just because otherwise you only ever blow those feats on prereqs, and my players really do not bother planning ahead like that. Or try to break things ever. Wouldn't work for every group though I guess.

...why didn't I think of that? I think I'll use that idea.

Iferus
2009-07-18, 08:41 AM
Now, as a simulationist/roleplayer, I like this. However, I think the math should be a bit sharper. A human slightly above average shouldn't get 35ft speed just yet. How about base speed + (DEX+CON-18)/1.5 rounded down to the nearest 5? That would require at least those 14's you mention for an above-average human. In your system, a 12 and an 11 would qualify for 35 ft speed.

AstralFire
2009-07-18, 08:55 AM
If you're going really simulationist, I would include a random roll component in this, too. But this isn't really my thing, I let my players figure out their out of combat speed.

Cieyrin
2009-07-18, 10:30 AM
Now, as a simulationist/roleplayer, I like this. However, I think the math should be a bit sharper. A human slightly above average shouldn't get 35ft speed just yet. How about base speed + (DEX+CON-18)/1.5 rounded down to the nearest 5? That would require at least those 14's you mention for an above-average human. In your system, a 12 and an 11 would qualify for 35 ft speed.

Actually, according to your formula, you'd only need 13s or some grand total of those 2 scores equaling 26. Still, closer to what you're striving for, though.

The only other thought I have on this system is you need to take into account character sizes, which'd apply modifiers, as larger creatures tend to be faster, due to longer strides or just more room for optimizing muscular structure than in a smaller critter.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Jergmo
2009-07-18, 10:33 AM

I got the result of 11 Dex and 12 Con, and I can sprint a bit faster than my friends. I just can't do it for an exceptional amount of time. Also, I have no idea what you're saying. That would put all but the most physically fit people at small-sized speed.

Actually, according to your formula, you'd only need 13s or some grand total of those 2 scores equaling 26. Still, closer to what you're striving for, though.

The only other thought I have on this system is you need to take into account character sizes, which'd apply modifiers, as larger creatures tend to be faster, due to longer strides or just more room for optimizing muscular structure than in a smaller critter.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Larger creatures have higher base speeds.

TSED
2009-07-19, 02:12 AM
Not necessarily. A 10 in both leaves you with the current speeds, so anyone who would dump them before will anyway with this system.

I was, uh, being sarcastic. I mean, come on, Dice, you know how good those stats are. We both do. You only ever dump those stats for one reason: roleplaying. Best reason there is, but still.

Also, I am pretty sure I am WAY more gamist than my players, which is making feel bits of awkwardness when designing things. I go "oh these tactics are pretty easy to counter, but effective if not" but then I stop and go "wait, they don't really... strategize." And I turn into this mess of a "do I do it do I not do it" and it doesn't end prettily.

...why didn't I think of that? I think I'll use that idea.

Thanks! It'll be a pleasant surprise for my players on Monday.