PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new spell!

Sacrath
2005-09-03, 01:05 AM
I think I worked most of the kinks out, it just needs fine tuning. Don't tax yourself too much, there is a good chance the party wizard won't even read the book this spell is found in (he has some crazy ideas about books found in evil temples bound in human flesh being dangerous...). Anyway here it is:

Disrupt Elemental
Necromancy
Level: Wiz 3/Sorc 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium 100 ft + 10 ft per level
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous (or 1 round)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

You shoot a ray of necromantic power to disrupt the elemental forces within an elemental creature, doing 1d6 damage per caster level (max 10d6). In addition the effected creature must succeed in a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round. The elemental subtype effected by this spell must be chosen when the spell is prepared, unless the caster is a sorcerer, in which the subtype is chosen upon casting.

Material Component: A pinch of grave dirt (for the Earth version), a vial of befouled water (for the Water version), a vial of swamp gas (for the Air version), or a piece of deadwood burned during the casting (for the Fire version).

Edit: Changed to make the spell able to effect the creatures it was made for.

Edit: Yea, ok the spell is not evil any more.

Edit: Decided on a Material Component, thanks everyone!

Jotoco
2005-09-03, 01:16 AM
(I need a material component for the Fire version, something to do with corrupted fire…)

The burnt remains of a young LG virgin that helped children! (ok, this is overdoing the evilness...)
The Burnt remains of a sentient creature, maybe?

Wally
2005-09-03, 01:37 AM
How about:
Obsidian stone
Ashes from an urn of a cremated, corrupt soul!
Charred rags of an innocent who was burned ALIVE!

SpiderBrigade
2005-09-03, 03:47 AM
Why is this spell necessarily evil? The stunning I'll admit tastes like Necromancy, but aren't most elemental-type spells evocation or conjuration?

I'm not saying the spell SHOULDN'T be evil; that's up to you as the designer obviously. However, bear in mind that the core spells that have the [evil] descriptor are mostly blatant things like Animate Dead or Symbol of Pain. Blight, which does similar damage to plants, isn't evil though it is necromancy.

edit: whoops, missed that last caveat. NM ;-)

ILM
2005-09-03, 06:37 AM
The spell's OK, but I wouldn't have made it Necromancy... Since it gives no save for the damage, maybe Conjuration ?

Sacrath
2005-09-03, 11:22 AM
Why is this spell necessarily evil?
Yea, I know, it doesn't feel evil, but it is the prelude to the spell that allows the creation of Necromentals (cool undead elementals from Libris Mortis).

the [evil] descriptor are mostly blatant things like Animate Dead or Symbol of Pain.
Yea, but this spell is suposed to put the creature in extreme pain, hence the stun. Maybe I should ajust the description to make it more nasty sounding.

I wouldn't have made it Necromancy... Since it gives no save for the damage.
I based it off of Disrupt Undead. Which also has no save.

Obsidian stone
Ashes from an urn of a cremated, corrupt soul!

Awsome, thanks. I'll use that for now, but based on my knowledge of Aristotole (sp) Ash is wood with the Fire removed. The problem with fire is it is intangable, and it is hard to find a way to make charcoal or cooking oil evil.
Another problem is finding something that is less than 1gp in value and pretty easy to get, otherwise I would have used the a fire opal stolen from the tomb of a evil creature or something.

The_Werebear
2005-09-03, 02:21 PM
Captured smoke from a fire that killed someone.
A chunk of flesh from a burn wound

MrNexx
2005-09-03, 02:36 PM
You shoot a ray of necromantic power to disrupt the elemental forces within an elemental creature, doing 1d6 damage per caster level (max 10d6).

Do you mean negative energy, or something else?

[quote]The spell gains the subtype of the creature effected when prepared (ie: a Disrupt Elemental spell prepared to target fire creatures becomes [Fire] spell as well as an [Evil] spell).

Shouldn't it be the opposite element, not the same? i.e. hitting a Fire elemental, it would be a Water spell? After all, IIRC, fire elementals are immune to fire spells.

Zeal
2005-09-03, 03:45 PM
A chunk of flesh from a burn wound

Wow, your spell component pouch would stink.

Sacrath
2005-09-03, 04:23 PM
After all, IIRC, fire elementals are immune to fire spells.
GaH! thats right! I sort of added that at the end on a lark so I can just take it away.

Talanic
2005-09-03, 05:49 PM
How about ashes from a fire in which inhaled poison was burned?

Spuddly
2005-09-03, 06:11 PM
The suggestions for material components are too over the top. The other material components are quite common,. Gravedirt can be gotten from any civilized place, befouled water is as common as fair water, swamp gas isn't very uncommon either.

But burnt remains of a sentient creature would be harder (more expensive) to obtain.

Why not just use burnt offerings? You know, something of small value that a cleric or someone who worships a god burned in offering.

Beelzebub1111
2005-09-03, 06:21 PM
rotted wood that is burned at the time of casting.

ccelizic
2005-09-03, 06:55 PM
I would certainly not call it an [evil] spell. There are plenty of necromancies that channel negative energy and exactly fail to be evil.

Ray of enfeeblement is just a beautiful beautiful spell, it channels a ray of negative energy to disrupt the strength of the victim, not evil.

Vampric touch, sucks the very vitality out of the victim to strengthen yourself. Necromancy agian, not evil. A nasty trick is for a wiz to cast this puppy when he has a spare action but not touch anything, he'll look unarmed but he'll be packing a WALLOP of a melee attack for the first thing that provokes an AOO from him, or otherwise gets too damn close.

Enervation - ENERGY DRAIN, yes that's negative level whammies! It heals undead with it's negative energy and yet, it's not evil.

Circle of death - A buttload of things drop dead. Agian, not evil

Finger of death - Agian, a death affect that makes things drop dead, and agian, it's not evil.

Soul Bind - RIP the damn soul out of a freshly dead body, trap it into a prison because you feel that bastard just should never get a chance at an afterlife, or life for that matter at a later date. So very damn necromancy, yet it is not evil.

Even energy drain is not evil.

As for the pain bit, you ever hear of the spell "Salt ray"? It's in the WOTC website somewhere, I gave my sailor wizard that spell, it shoots a ray of salt that deals slashing damage, any living being that suffers damage from it must save vs being wracked by such excuciating pain that they end up being stunned for several rounds due to "salt in the wound". It isn't evil. There's a few other spells that deal with excruciating pain, they tend to not be evil, unless you are talking about that one spell that slowly rips off the victim's flesh, layer by layer, but that spell also drives the victim insane from the intense pain dealing mental damage.

There's a few spells that work on or screwing with the head that aren't evil. I mean, if a raging elemental is trying to burn me to a crisp, I'm more then willing to "hurt his feelings" if it gives me an opening. For something to be evil, the spell must be over the top gratuitously and creatively painful and violent. I mean, being hit by a lightningbolt doesn't exactly tickle, but that doesn't make it any more evil.

It's rather hard to find evil spells in fact. An evil spell though is blackfire from complete arcane.

You light someone with a black fire that consumes there very essence, draining away their constitution and nauseating them in the process. The flame spreads to any other living beings so when used in a crowd soon everyone is writhing in agony as their very essence is consumed away, leaving nothing but a pile of greasey ashes when they are reduced to 0 constitution. THAT is an evil spell, that spell is so evil, that it is mandatory, by federal law, to cackle with insane glee every time you throw it into a crowd. THAT is how evil taht spell is.

A spell that makes elementals drop dead, even via necromancy is not evil. Making living beings drop dead via necromancy isn't evil. So neither should that spell.

As for the component for fire, since you used graveearth for a earth elemental, why not the ashes of a cremated person for fire?

Addendum: There is the "Orb of" series in complete arcane, almost every single one has a secondary affect, such as slamming a victim for massive acid damage AND forcing a save vs being sickened. Yet it isn't evil.

Sacrath
2005-09-03, 08:08 PM
I already explained why it is evil. It is less an independant spell an more a component for a ritual to capture and raise elemental spirits before they can disipate into thier respective planes. Both traping souls and raising the dead is evil. Maybe I should just make the ritual evil. Thank you for the input, but I really needed help on the other aspects of it, like damage, save, and description. And mainly an easily obtainable fire reprsentative material component.

Why not just use burnt offerings? You know, something of small value that a cleric or someone who worships a god burned in offering.
Still a little too hard to get, looking for something more or less naturaly occuring.

rotted wood that is burned at the time of casting.
That or a cursed tindertwig! Actually this very nearly fits what I was looking for.

Talanic
2005-09-03, 10:24 PM
How about a chunk of Obsidian?

Volcanic glass, leftover from a scene of complete devastation by fire. Plenty's produced with each volcanic eruption, and it's sometimes used in tools or jewelery, so it's not that rare, just a bit uncommon.

Or something else that is completely non-flammable? Remember, it's supposed to be an abomination to a fire elemental, after all...how about asbestos? It's toxic AND non-flammable!

Sacrath
2005-09-04, 07:49 PM
The spell is completed now, thanks for all the help everyone!