PDA

View Full Version : Guess the monster.

oxinabox
2009-07-17, 11:22 AM
Ok, I've givin' my PC's a Macaw. (via storyline)
They've begun suspectingit isn't an ordiany bird.

In it's creation i may have broken some rules, but i doubt it.
I haven't full stated it out so i can't be sure.

What do you think it is: (here's what they've noticed):
It looks like a Macaw.
All their knowledge skills say it is a macaw.
It has no magical aura.

It understands, and occasionally speaks perfect common. it can be cryptic.

It previosly enjoyed pecking and wing-slapping the PC captain.
But after a talking to (and a diplomancy roll) it stopped.

It wins every game of chess played agaist it (how ever the player playing had below average INT)

It can nogoticate with kraken, with some sucess, (better then the PC's at anyrate)

It can survive a direct hit with a fireball, taking little damage, effectivly cast by a lvl 8 wizard.

It likes fruit.

When on a boat with just it them and their crew, gems and jewllery went missing. everyone except the macaw swore under zone of truth not to have taken it.

So any guesses?
PC's currently suspect it may be a god...:smalltongue:

Duke of URL
2009-07-17, 11:39 AM
I'd guess a druid of some sort wildshaped into a macaw.

Nevitan
2009-07-17, 11:48 AM
Is it a Macaw? :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-17, 11:52 AM
Awakened Macaw, maybe with Rogue levels. Or a Doppleganger.

Or the Prime Avatar of Jack, God of Pirates, Tircksters, Liars, and Thieves.

Kol Korran
2009-07-17, 12:01 PM
hhhmmmm... how about a phasm, that somehow has the evasion ability (to dodge the fireball). phasm rogue? baby phasm rogue? (might also explain coveting gems. it can take them to it and then change shape)

judt my idea, simple, but it might be it.
Kol.

oxinabox
2009-07-17, 12:05 PM
Awakened Macaw, maybe with Rogue levels.

:haley: Why does everyone blame the rogue when things go missing?=

And if there isn't a rogue, we assume the nearest animal is awakened and has rogue lvls...

hhhmmmm... how about a phasm, that somehow has the evasion ability (to dodge the fireball). phasm rogue? baby phasm rogue? (might also explain coveting gems. it can take them to it and then change shape)

I like it, i like it alot, but no.

Alejandro
2009-07-17, 12:06 PM
Well, he said it took a little damage from the fireball, if it had evasion and passed the save it wouldn't take any at all. Maybe the fireball just rolled low.

Admiral Squish
2009-07-17, 12:07 PM
Well, he said it took a little damage from the fireball, if it had evasion and passed the save it wouldn't take any at all. Maybe the fireball just rolled low.

Ah, yes, but if it had IMPROVED evasion and FAILED the save, then it's only half damage.

Dixieboy
2009-07-17, 12:12 PM
Something with 10+ int and an ability from the polymorph school.

oxinabox
2009-07-17, 12:13 PM
maybe t's just got bulk HP, and so to the eye of the beholder it looks ojnly slightly singed, when it has inface taken over 20 damage?

Just a suggestion.
Maybe it has evasion.
Maybe it's imune to fire

Faleldir
2009-07-17, 12:14 PM
Do you use psionics in your campaign setting?

HMS Invincible
2009-07-17, 01:04 PM
Is it a familiar?

Flickerdart
2009-07-17, 01:12 PM
Have they tried tapping it for mana?

VirOath
2009-07-17, 01:14 PM
Okay, so it is assumed it likes shiny baubles, has evasion/fire immunity/lots of hp, is talkative, is just as smart or smarter than an average human and enjoys slap stick comedy...

A guess on knowing my DMs, Metallic Dragon under the effects of shapechage, with Non-detection/Mind Blank from template/spell/class levels (Occult Slayer anyone?)

Otherwise it sounds like a P.Dragon from MM1, maybe with the awakened template.

Rhawin
2009-07-17, 01:46 PM
Is it a Rainbow Lorikeet?

... maybe they failed some Knowledge (nature) roles.

Lord Loss
2009-07-17, 01:49 PM
Is it... a Phoenix with class levels and some Template that I'm not aware of?

mikeejimbo
2009-07-17, 01:51 PM
Maybe it's tomorrow night's dinner?

Frosty
2009-07-17, 02:38 PM
Is it an undead monkey somehow masquerading as a bird?

Optimystik
2009-07-17, 02:52 PM
Have they tried tapping it for mana?

*slap*
Yes, you deserved it. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-07-17, 02:55 PM
It sounds like a corollax, a macaw-like bird from the Monster Manual 2.

AstralFire
2009-07-17, 02:58 PM
My first thought was a Corollax as well, but I don't have a MM2.

arguskos
2009-07-17, 02:59 PM
My first thought was a Corollax as well, but I don't have a MM2.
They're either from MM2 or Fiend Folio. Might be the latter, I can't recall.

Kol Korran
2009-07-17, 03:00 PM
corollax may look similar, but it fits none of the other details, such as intelligence or fire resistence.

Nevitan
2009-07-17, 03:01 PM
It's in the MM2 and that looks like a good call to me, assuming the DM altered the Intelligence.

corollax may look similar, but it fits none of the other details, such as intelligence or fire resistence.

Well it does have a SR 12 and failing that it does have a 17 Dex and possibly a HP boost from the DM.

AstralFire
2009-07-17, 03:06 PM
They're either from MM2 or Fiend Folio. Might be the latter, I can't recall.

It's MM2. But I don't buy monster manuals, so I can't check to see if its stats match the given abilities. Which they don't.

arguskos
2009-07-17, 03:08 PM
Yeah, but an altered one would fit in with almost no issue. It twas just a thought anyways.

Isak
2009-07-17, 03:29 PM
*slap*
Yes, you deserved it. :smalltongue:

I liked it :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

What's wrong with Birds of Paradise? :smalltongue:

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-17, 05:10 PM
So any guesses?

Not enough clues. It could be a variant imp with macaw as one of its alternate shapes. It could be an awakened macaw rogue. (It fits the clues well even though that is not the "right" guess). Or it could be any other number of things...

mostlyharmful
2009-07-17, 05:18 PM
Is it a DMPC? Or maybe an avatar of an Overpower.... if you say no I require definitive proof that it is not, in fact, the avatar of an Overpower.... :smallwink:

TSED
2009-07-17, 05:43 PM
It sounds to me like a familiar, yes.

Definitely not a corollax. Nothing about using its abilities (like the colour spray).

Could be awakened, but I find that less likely than the familiar.

Familiars get:

1) Improved intelligence scores.
2) Improved Evasion.
3) Its master's skill ranks (suggesting its master is a sorcerer, for the charisma with the kraken).
4) To remain a macaw.
4b) Macaws like fruit and nuts.
5) To think along with its master so it can roxxor at chess.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-17, 08:04 PM
Yeah, sounds to me like a high level spellcaster's nutty familiar who decided to follow the party around to pester them while taking its vacation. I'll bet it's got a great retirement plan, too. :smallwink:

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-17, 08:12 PM
Wizard: I think you need some time off. You know, sun, sea, lots of yummy fruits. I know you like fruit.

Familiar: Really? You mean it? Cause you know after that last adventure...

Wizard: And you could keep and eye on those pesky heroes for me.

Familiar: You...bastard...

Wizard: Call it a scrying/working vacation. Now off you go.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-17, 08:26 PM
I know! it's the MitD!:smallbiggrin:
whoops, wrong forum

oxinabox
2009-07-17, 11:47 PM
Wizard: I think you need some time off. You know, sun, sea, lots of yummy fruits. I know you like fruit.

Familiar: Really? You mean it? Cause you know after that last adventure...

Wizard: And you could keep and eye on those pesky heroes for me.

Familiar: You...bastard...

Wizard: Call it a scrying/working vacation. Now off you go.

I love that so much i might make it that.

Here's that answer: (ANY one playing any games with me=frames, or who is a Member of Unigames at UWA please do not read :smallwink:)

But from the infromation given most of you have determined it is is fact undeterminable.
either it's a familiar or:
Something with the ability to shapechange and retain it's natual abilities.
prpable with high ECL. and the ability to hide it's magic.

In my case a Bronze dragon, (i've swapped there alignments: in a nomal seting it would be a brass dragon...).
Proable with either Sorcerer, druid or maybe warlock Lvls.

Now everyone can flame me and tell me it's wrong

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-18, 12:00 AM
And what would you do if you encountered a frail old hermit with surrounded by seven singing birds...

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-18, 12:24 AM
Is it a DMPC? Or maybe an avatar of an Overpower.... if you say no I require definitive proof that it is not, in fact, the avatar of an Overpower.... :smallwink:

This.

Do not read the spoiler if you are a player in the game.

Be very careful about having a dragon follow the party around for no reason and helping them while being cool. You may think it's great but the players tend to resent this sort of thing. If the dragon is there to gauge their 'heroism' and offer them a task after deciding they are worthy (or admonishing them if they are less than heroic), then it's great.

Just don't draw it out too long and don't make it do a bunch of stuff a dragon can't normally do.

For the record, I had my money on familiar.

obnoxious
sig

oxinabox
2009-07-18, 12:42 AM
I'm pretty sure none of my players are on this forum.
If they are i hope they Aren't reading this thread.

otherwise "Rocks fall, everyone dies" jk.

The Macaw is exactly trying to determine how good they are.
it's having alot of trouble deciding if they are good or evil.
they are very neutral.
They save the lord from an invading army. but only cos it would get them a good reputation.
Simailr they deliver grain to staving people.

And they kill pirates but that was self defence.
but they also raise undead.
they haven't killed any inocents since the macaw came on board, but htye have in the past.

They gained a guardmen to watch over the the grain, to make sure it wasn't stollen.
WHen he was knocked unconcios defending their ship, they keep him just on this side of death for the rest of the voyage.

I admiot it he's my DMPC.
But it gives me a direct way to control the game. (eg remove loot, in a logical way)
a bit of deux ex mechina. (wich is ok, so long as i don't make a habit of it. ie on off)

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-18, 12:52 AM
Athena disguised herself as at least 4 different people to Odysseus...

oxinabox
2009-07-20, 07:44 AM
not to do thread necromancy, (it can't have been a week yet...)
But I'm thinking of making it a Awakened Cat with Druid lvls.
just for the lol's.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-20, 08:07 AM
not to do thread necromancy, (it can't have been a week yet...)
But I'm thinking of making it a Awakened Cat with Druid lvls.
just for the lol's.

Druid, dragon or familiar, or awakened animal, the main issue is why, other than to have a convenient tool for the dm, is this powerful npc so interested in the party. This is actually a good opportunity to tie the pc's in to a larger story. Once you have the larger story arc dtermined, it will be easier to clarify just what the npc is.

oxinabox
2009-07-20, 08:19 AM
that's why the dragon fits so well. Cos Metalic dragons are quest NPC's.
This world is very sand box,

I wonder if theres a way to do a scooby-doo pulling of the masks thing:
Underneath the macaw is a awakened cat, underneath the awakened cat is a dragon.... underneath the dragon is an awakened Macaw.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-20, 09:12 AM
that's why the dragon fits so well. Cos Metalic dragons are quest NPC's.
This world is very sand box,

I wonder if theres a way to do a scooby-doo pulling of the masks thing:
Underneath the macaw is a awakened cat, underneath the awakened cat is a dragon.... underneath the dragon is an awakened Macaw.

I think a dragon is a pretty good fit since often dragons have been portrayed as doing similar things, for ex in the Forgotten Realms setting. See "Wyrms of the North" articles here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20040421a), here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20040225a), and here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020522a).

As for the multiple layers idea that is cool. One way to do it without too much stretching is to have a dragon with druid levels. So the first reveal is that the macaw is a druid. The second is that the druid is a dragon.

Edit: And you can have more than that of course. For ex, take a (neutral good) juvenile or young adult gold dragon druid 6 (druid 3/arcane hierophant X is even better). With the extra wildshape feat the dragon can stay in wildshape form for 24 hours. Give the "druid 6" a hat of disguise (no need to equip your npc with the full wealth of an ECL 17 or 20). So now, the npc can un-wildshape from macaw to human "druid A". But "druid A" is really "druid B" in disguise by use of the hat. And "druid B" is just the alternate form of the dragon. And it's all the more fun if there are two "real" druids A and B that the party will meet later and maybe they are in on the subterfuge as well. Typical shenanigans for a young and carefree good dragon I would say.

MissK
2009-07-20, 04:13 PM
Was I the only person who thought it was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, version 2? (The one that appears in "Mostly Harmless.")