PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Humans

Falon
2005-08-14, 08:59 AM
Hollow Humans
No one knows why hollow people come about, some say they are cursed by the gods, others say they were born destined for this to happen, and some even say it was their angst that caused it.. Whatever the reason, a hollow person often becomes outcast from their towns, forced out into a life of travelling from town to town, never truly welcome.
Normal people wake up one day, feeling the same as they always do, and plan to go about their life the same way they always do, the first person they encounter however is in for a shock.
A Hollow persons insides can no longer be seen, they seem to others that that everything but the blood and skin is gone. It hasn’t however; they have just partly turned invisible. This causes them some problems how ever, from getting pocked in the eyes by inquisitive elders to being chased out of the town by people thinking they are undead.
The strangest thing about the invisibility is that spells of see invisibility only work for half the time and only on the person who cast the spell, as if the hollow person’s insides are actively trying to hide.
It’s not a surprise that hollow people become wizards, keeping to themselves while trying to find out what and why it happened to them.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Hollow Humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Hollow Humans base land speed is 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision: Hollow Humans can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

-2 circumstance penalty all skill roles involving Charisma and intelligent being when the eye sockets can be seen. People have trouble talking or involving themselves with a Hollow Person as they get a bit freaked out. This is removed if the person can see invisibility.

See Invisibility, constant affect as per the spell

Immunity to gaze attacks

Can cast Scare four times per day like the spell but as a gaze attack and thus only on one target and only as long as the target can see the hollow persons eye sockets.
This will not work if the target can see invisibility

Heal skill checks on the hollow person are at DC 25 + HD unless the person making the check can see invisibility, then the heal skill functions as normal.

See invisibility will cause the hollow person to look like a normal human. However, unless the spell is a constant affect it will only work for half the time, and only on the person who cast it. Thus if see invisibility was cast on you someone by someone else, that person would not be able to see the hollow person as a normal person.
Also, objects which give the affect to the wearer do not aid in seeing the hollow person insides.

Automatic Languages: Common.
Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic)
Favoured Class: Wizard. A multiclass Hollow persons Wizard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

Edited.

Chris the Pontifex
2005-08-14, 10:02 AM
seems like a cool npc race. could you give some flavor? I really have no idea how to place this.

Glinelen
2005-08-14, 01:05 PM
Indeed looks very promissing. Where do they come from?

Do they become visible after attacking, or does their invisibility function like Greater Invisibility?

What's the save dc from their Scare ability?

Heal - From what you propose someone with +1 to heal has the same chance of success as someone with +20, which isn't reasonable. IMO it's better to to put a very high DC , like 35 or higher , that way someone with +1 has no chance at all and for someone with +20 it's still hard. It's also more consistent with the rest of the mechanics.

Falrin
2005-08-14, 01:26 PM
About the healing part, maybe link it to the HD ? Like DC 25 + HD. At first LvL a 16 wis cleric with 4 ranks in heal has a + 7 for an 26 DC. So on a 19 or 20 he'll make the heal as long as they're same LvL or untill he increases Wis.

And maybe you should put a max range on the scare/gaze attack.

Zoena
2005-08-14, 01:53 PM
When you said hollow I thought it would be based on Bleach >_< What was the inspiration?

Venatius
2005-08-14, 03:41 PM
I'm reserving judgment until I see flavor text, but from the pure stats as-written, this sounds delightfully freaky.

Falon
2005-08-14, 05:32 PM
About the healing part, maybe link it to the HD ? Like DC 25 + HD. At first LvL a 16 wis cleric with 4 ranks in heal has a + 7 for an 26 DC. So on a 19 or 20 he'll make the heal as long as they're same LvL or untill he increases Wis.

And maybe you should put a max range on the scare/gaze attack.

Took your advice, also got a bit of a back story.

Glinelen
2005-08-15, 02:08 PM
Such a great creepy Raveloft feeling. I can defently see a rogue turning into a Hollow human domain lord.

*evil laugh*

Falon
2005-08-16, 02:16 AM
Such a great creepy Raveloft feeling. I can defently see a rogue turning into a Hollow human domain lord.

*evil laugh*
Raveloft?

Glinelen
2005-08-16, 01:58 PM
My horrible spelling. uf . Ravenloft. Classic grim gothic d&d setting. The place where evil is more powerfull than ever and good has little chance. The perfect setting for horror adventures.

If you know it just skip this paragraph.
In Ravenloft when someone commites an act of ultimate evil the powers that be grant hima power that seems like it's going to help him achieve his wish, but with a twist that makes sure that you never get what you really wish for. Commit enough of such acts and you become a powerfull domain lord, but your domain is just a big torturing cell for you. I'm bad at describing , just read it.

So in my mind if a rogue desired to be good in hiding and getting into places unobserved - if he exploits his abilities to hurt an innocent or some other evil act and fails a power check - than the powers just might grant him the ability to become invisible at will. As the down side - his body will start becoming invisible - he'll become a hollow man.

MrNexx
2005-08-16, 02:13 PM
My horrible spelling. uf . Ravenloft. Classic grim gothic d&d setting...

... which has just reverted from Arthaus games to WotC.

Zeful
2006-07-27, 11:33 PM
Is this from Hollow man? And I'm missing something, I can't find the racial invisibility. So are they fully invisible or just their organs?