PDA

View Full Version : 4E One Shot

DiscipleofBob
2009-07-17, 06:32 PM
So I'm on vacation with family for a week and I decided to run a one or two-shot in 4e for my brother, his wife, and my gf.

So far it's probably going to be Eberron and level 10 for simplicity, but other than that, I got nothing.

So far, there are 5 characters (yes, two people are playing multiple characters).

I have an Elf Beastmaster Ranger, a Dwarf Cleric, a Dwarf Invoker, a Warforged Fighter, and a Deva Rogue (the last possibly with a Mark of Storms.) I'd like to use some key elements for Eberron b/c this would be an intro to Eberron for my brother and sister-in-law.

So far I'm stumped as far as campaign ideas, any suggestions?

FoE
2009-07-17, 06:46 PM
Lengthy lightning traintop battle with a Valenar raiding party?

Gralamin
2009-07-17, 06:48 PM
Lengthy lightning traintop battle with a Valenar raiding party?

This would pretty much be the best sort of introduction you can give for both Eberron and 4e.

sofawall
2009-07-17, 06:54 PM
Curses! Foiled again!

I expected some awesome story about how some character killed some uber-beast in one shot.

I guess I spend too much time on Char Op.

DiscipleofBob
2009-07-17, 10:12 PM
See, it's not a bad idea, I just need more than "You're on a train and elves attack you," especially when we already have an elf, probably Valenar by the sound of it.

I am a big fan of the lightning rail adventure, easy to run and set up.

So far, based on what cool minis I have available, I'm thinking about using the recent troll mini to have troll twins, Helter and Skelter, one of which is immune to fire and the other of which is immune to acid, due to magical items they both have.

At least that's the idea so far. Then I'm just wondering why are the trolls attacking the lightning rail? Who else have they brought with them? What sort of gangs do the trolls lead? What are they after?

FoE
2009-07-17, 10:57 PM
The trolls ... are after a magic item onboard the train that the Sisters of Sora Kell wish to retrieve.

RTGoodman
2009-07-18, 02:07 AM
I second the train idea, but instead of elves, how about tainted critters (or servants of the Lord of Blades) from the Mournland? At that level, they should be fighting some pretty big-deal bad guys, and who better than ol' Bladey and his gang to be those bad guys.

DiscipleofBob
2009-07-18, 07:06 AM
I second the train idea, but instead of elves, how about tainted critters (or servants of the Lord of Blades) from the Mournland? At that level, they should be fighting some pretty big-deal bad guys, and who better than ol' Bladey and his gang to be those bad guys.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how/if the whole Mournland thing is going to work? The whole "healing doesn't work here, mwahahaha" thing. Is that carrying over to 4e?

AstralFire
2009-07-18, 08:20 AM
My first thought is something that saps your Second Winds away.

RTGoodman
2009-07-18, 01:34 PM
Speaking of which, does anyone know how/if the whole Mournland thing is going to work? The whole "healing doesn't work here, mwahahaha" thing. Is that carrying over to 4e?

I believe so. There's an Eberron ED, Mourning Saviour, that's all about you redeeming the Mournland, and its first ability is as follows:

Mournland Dedicate (21th level): You are accustomed to the Mournland’s effect. You gain a +5 bonus to skill challenges related to the perils of the Mournland. You are immune to the Mournland affliction disease, and you ignore obstacles and fantastic terrain unique to the Mournland. In addition, while within the Mournland, you and any ally within 5 squares of you can benefit from healing powers.
While outside the Mournland, healing powers that target you or any ally within 5 squares of you restore 2d6 extra hit points.

Bolded for emphasis. I'm guessing that, along with said Mournland affliction disease, healing powers also don't work at all.

I'd forgotten about that, so if you go with something Mournland related, you might want to place it near the BORDER instead of within the area.

Kol Korran
2009-07-18, 05:39 PM
i'd suggest maybe a different approach. if the players know eberron then more then likely they've done the "lightning rail fight" allready, and if not, then they would probably look for fantasy, and it might feel a bit too "techy" for them. how about something a tad more traditional, with Eberron touches:

the party begin game at the capital city of the shadow marches (forgot it's name). perhaps they are the body guards of a diplomat from one of the dragon marked houses or the various nations. the strange city and the orcish population is a good indication of how things may be different in eberron. suddenly strange abominations attack the town (some sort of abberations, though you could take masses of chuul's, otyughs, or maybe gibbering beasts to accompany). the party help fight these things, (could be a great battle in two levels- on the walkways on the stilts, and in the water) only to learn the beasties were a diversion, while one of the marches tribe captured someone/ something importent and ran away into the swamp. the diplomat urges the party to investigate, as a show of good faith that could be used diplomatically.

possible minor social skill challange: investigations as to how they knew who to attack. if they succeed they find a cultist of the dragon below, who tells them the orc tribe actually worships the daelkyr, and have taken the person/ somethign to be used in some sort of ritual.

more serious skill challange- navigating and following the tracks to the orc tribe's holdout.

major fight at the orc and human camp:
- i suggest making them stronger due to "dark influence" or something.
- lots and lots of minions for the party to slaugheter, and a few stronger character.
- maybe throw in a small warforged elite unti that works under the standard of a nation in the last war (know history might gain an advantage against them).
- maybe throw in some dolgrims or dolgaunt to keep things varied. their attacks can carry some sort of an infliction (treat it as a disease) symbolizing the corrupting influence.

last battle at the dark alter, in a small ruined temple. some possible challanges to make it memorable: there is a portal that brings in abberations (can be deactivated with a simple skill challange). the ritual may continue and grant power to the believers, such as healing or damage output. it can be interfered with, but can only be stopped by smashing the huge khyber shard in the middle of the temple. i suggest a dusk hag as the leader of the group.

that could probably suffice for 6 hours of play, if the players are fast acting. trim it down if it's too much.

another idea:
this one might realy work well to introduce to Eberron's powers, and it's most famous city- Sharn.
a great gathring is being had, of the leaders of all the nations. never have there been such a thing since Throne hold! one of the towers is being completly hired for the different delegations. the PCs are someone's guards. give a small introduction of the delegations, the Karrnathi and their undead, the Darguul powerfull warriors, the Thrane Knights, and so on.
the characters accompany their diplomat to meet another, but when they meet him, they found s/he is dying of a mysterious poison. the diplomat tells them to investigate quickly, while s/he answers questions.

who did it? other then the butler? i have no idea, but i'll let you diecide- it could be one of the delegations, or someone else who thought this would be a great way to cover another feud/ unfinished buisness. since this is Eberron, i offer a few ideas:
- maybe it's the lord of blades, actually using fleshy agents (or warforged somehow disguised as fleshy?). he wishes to sabotage the gathring, and perhsp push towards war.
- i suggest the actual assasin either belongs to one of the shadow houses (hired), or perhaps a changling. which fits well with Eberron.
- it could be one of the gangs of sharn. feel free to create something a bit more "Techy", but full of various races. maybe a gang originating with Droaam?
- it could of course also be just something between nobles, or dragonmarked.
- a bit creepier and problematic to deal with- he could have been killed by agents of the silver flame or Aerenai elves (secret opts devision), for a good reason. what would the characters do when they find out?
- in any case, i'd suggest you make some evidence clearly pointing at the wrong direction (though "likely" in players minds- such as the Darguul or Karnathi

social skill challange, of investigations with the different delegations, but in the middle the party is attacked. by whom? different possibilities. a few ideas:
- followers of the assasin's cause, trying to stop the investigations. these might be the direct associates, or some hired help/ duped help, possibly led by an actual member, or the villain itself.
- the forces of law! if changlings are involved, then perhaps the antagonists, seeing the party is on their trail, have decided to frame the party somehow. once this battle happen, tension rises.

in any case i'd suggest you make the battle reflect some kind of special Eberron unit- perhaps warforged, perhaps karnathi undead, perhaps valenar blade master, and so on. make it on a bridge, or between trerraces and so on. or possibly on flying "Cars"?

once the skill challange is done, the party find a lead to continue on. possibly in the bowls of sharn, or possibly through a portal to a small demi plane, or whatever. they follow the culprit to it's lair, and fight some more on the way (depending on how you set it, and how much time do you have) until they find s/he/it. and have a final showdown.

hope this helps. those are my ideas. i like to have more than just a fight, even in one shots.

Kol.