PDA

View Full Version : NEW SPELL Grace of poison (conjuration)

piscivorus
2005-08-30, 10:55 PM
Grace of poison (conjuration)
Level: druid 2 / Assassin 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: standard action
Target: touch
Duration: one hour or until discharged
Saving fort: varies
Spell Resistance: No unless object
With this spell the user may create a poison of any sort as long as it’s natural and 150 gold in price or under, the caster cannot create any shadow essence because first it’s not natural and second it’s priced at 280g. No matter what the poison is it will dissipate after an hour and can acts just like normal poisons in all other ways. The fort DC Depends on the poisoned summoned this DC is also altered by any other bonuses to the DC of a conjuration Spell such as Spell focus (conjuration), Also any metamagic feats used also affect the poison summoned if lets say extended was used the poison will be sustained for two hours instead of one also maximize does effect this spell but you must and one more to the spell level then required with a normal maximized spell.

Remmember to compare it to the 3rd level spell poison for compareson if their's somethign i missed please tell me.

Umael
2005-08-31, 12:15 AM
At first glance, I don't like it. The idea is okay, but the wording is not.

The spell can duplicate natural poison. Okay. Now define "natural."

The price of the poison cannot exceed 150 gold. Something about that bothers me, but I can't place my finger on it. Sure, you can use wish as an example, pointing out that wish has a "cap" of 250,000 gold, but some "natural" poisons do not have a gold cost automatically associated with them.

Why did you make mention of shadow essence? Your original first phrase of that sentence made it clear.

Lacking a table to look up various poisons makes this spell less helpful - see summon monster for what I mean.

Making the Fortitude DC dependant on the poison in question instead of the spell power itself is a mistake, methinks. A 3rd level druid with a Wisdom of 12 casting this spell should have a DC of 12 (10 + 2 (spell level) + 1 (Wisdom modifier). However, with this spell, the druid could conjure up, say, Medium-size spider venom, which has an Injury DC 14 and costs 150. This gives the druid an extra point, and the druid can add on Spell Focus (Conjuration) to increase the DC to 16. On the other hand, an 18th-level druid with a Wisdom of 26th casts a Heighten grace of poison, and if lacking that feat, the spell would still be only DC 13 instead of DC 27 (10 + 9 (spell level) + 8 (Wisdom modifier)).

I don't know why you included that bit about metamagic feats, not to mention that whatever you meant to say was hard to understand.

Thinking about it, using the poison spell as a guide, the Fortitude Save should be DC 10 + one-half caster level + caster's Wisdom modifer. That changes the above example to a DC of 12 (10 + 1 + 1) for the 3rd-level druid and a DC of 27 (10 + 9 + 8) without using the Heightened Metamagic Feat.

The real power of this spell is the versatility of it. Having a poison that can attack any one of the six physical attributes makes the spellcaster can match up which version of the poison would be the most effective. Poison can only effect Constitution.

(Without defining "natural" and having a good set of descriptions, a DM might end up creating a creature with a natural poison that the druid then duplicates.)

Also, why does grace of poison negate spell resistance when poison does not?

Finally, poison is a necromancy spell, not a conjuration spell. Are you sure grace of poison should be a conjuration spell? I know that would explain why it would negate spell resistance, but is that the best way to balance out this spell?

Nikolai_II
2005-08-31, 07:22 AM
Poison Weapon
Conjuration(Creation)
Assassin 4 / Druid 4

Components V,S,M

Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 weapon or item touched
Duration: 1 hour / level
Saving throw: Fortitude negates, see text
SR: No

Calling upon the venomous powers of natural predators, you paste the object with a horrible poison that works by touch, injury or ingestion. The poison deals 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage immediately and another 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage 1 minute later. Each instance of damage can be negated by a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your caster level + your Wis modifier).

piscivorus
2005-08-31, 07:40 AM
the caster cannot create any shadow essence because first it’s not natural and second it’s priced at 280g.

note "cannot" yeah i guess it could be poorly worded

The Glyphstone
2005-08-31, 08:01 AM
"This spell cas be used to create any plant or corporeal creature-based poisonous substance."?

Umael
2005-08-31, 09:26 AM
"This spell cas be used to create any plant or corporeal creature-based poisonous substance."?

This makes wyvern poison legit, which is hideously wrong and broken.

Look, even if we define "natural", that still begs the question - why make the DC of the spell based on the poison in question instead of the caster's innate magical ability?

There is nothing wrong with being able to create "natural" poison, as long as "natural" is confined to something that comes from nature, and hence, from the druid's specialization. But natural is injury, ingested, inhaled, and contact, it is all six physical attributes (plus unconsciousness), it is a variety of DC which has no bearing on how powerful or humble a spellcaster the druid is.

piscivorus
2005-08-31, 10:42 AM
Wvyren poison rocks and cost around 2,000 gold now all poison have a gold price acttached look at the DMG complete adventurer, and plenatly of otheirs and natural is what Glyph said actaully note you can't create dragon bile becuase it cost 3,000 gold note this spell is so far fine apparntly seening how no one has came out with any real reason to say other wise.

Dalcassius
2005-08-31, 12:46 PM
If the spell summoned the poison onto a blade or some weapon I can see it avoiding SR but if its summoned directly into the target via the touch, the spell should A) NOT avoid the SR and B) be a necromancy spell, not a conjuration.

Also I think the GP cost of the poisons available for summoning should vary with caster level. 100 gp per caster level, or 150 gp per 2 caster levels, what-have-you.

A spell that summons the poison into the target I'm not a fan, but if it summoned a vial to your hand that you can then apply to your weapon... Now your cooking with fire.

And are you saying that the poison has to be natural so the the druid class has access to the spell? Surely theres a better wording? Is there poisons the druid isn't allowed to use?

Ayana
2005-08-31, 02:22 PM
How about:

"This spell creates one dose of poison and applies it to a target object. The caster suffers no chance to poison themselves as a result of the casting. The item remains poisoned for the duration of the spell or until the effect is discharged through a sucessful attack with the weapon, ingestion of the food, etc.

This spell can only create poisons worth 150g or less in value (See DMG p.297 for costs and effects of poisons) with which the caster is familiar. (The appropriate Knowledge check for the creature that normally produces the poison reveals this information)"

That would explain why it's conjuration and has no SR.

endoperez
2005-09-03, 12:12 PM
Also, I think it wouldn't break anything if the spell could summon more powerful poisons when cast by a higher-level caster. That would also keep the spell more powerful longer, as the DC would increase through the ability to summon poisons with higher DCs.

piscivorus
2005-09-03, 06:54 PM
Grace of poison (Necromancy conjuration)
Level: druid 2 / Assassin 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: standard action
Target: touch
Duration: one hour or until discharged
Saving fort: varies
Spell Resistance: No

This spell can be used to create any plant or corporeal creature-based poisonous substance and applies it to a target object. The caster suffers no chance to poison themselves as a result of the casting. The item remains poisoned for the duration of the spell or until the effect is discharged through a sucessful attack with the weapon, ingestion of the food, etc.

This spell can only create poisons worth 150g per three levels or less in value (See DMG p.297 for costs and effects of poisons) with which the caster is familiar. (The appropriate Knowledge check for the creature that normally produces the poison reveals this information).

Spell foces viper's tooth.

Ayana and gylphstone did a good job of wording it, 150g per two lvls might be a little broken but increasing over time seems fine too me.

Umael
2005-09-03, 07:21 PM
If you are going to make it 150 gp every three levels, why not make it 50 gp per level?

Second, I am assuming that you mean "per caster level", yes?

This way, a 20th level druid can produce a 1000 gp value poison. At 3,000 gp, wyvern poison is still too expensive.

Also, could this spell be used with the Empower Spell feat... never mind. No, it cannot. Empower Spell works on variable, numeric effects. Pity. Casting the equivalent of a 4th-level spell for 1500 gp value of poison would be so much nicer.