PDA

View Full Version : Good non-core mundane gear?

Random832
2009-07-17, 07:48 PM
Starting a campaign at level 6 and i have decent amount of extra gold from my WBL that's not enough for magical items - anyone have any good ideas where to look for useful inexpensive stuff?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-17, 07:58 PM
Bolt cutters and garlic

#Raptor
2009-07-17, 08:07 PM
I could start listening stuff mentioned in this thread... or just give you the link: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0
I'm a big fan of the shapesand, personally.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-17, 09:06 PM
Generic Gear Mini-Guide (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1201242)

Pika...
2009-07-17, 09:14 PM
Bolt cutters and garlic

Where is the garlic listed? Such an awesome surprise for the next DM who throws vampires at me. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2009-07-17, 09:15 PM
Hmm. There's the listening cone. And the collapsible pole which doubles as a 20-foot pole if you hook two of them together. And, uh... flour grenades...

Mr.Moron
2009-07-17, 09:24 PM
There is a TON in Dungeonscape + Arms & Equipment Guide. Give those two a good look-see, more than I can reasonable mention here.

Magnets, Adamatine Drill, Pulleys & Winches all get off the top of my head mention though.

Don't forget cages if you wanna keep prisoners at any point.

You can use a well-perforated cask, some rope & create water to make a nice shower. Personal Hygiene is important you know.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-17, 09:44 PM
Where is the garlic listed? Such an awesome surprise for the next DM who throws vampires at me. :smallbiggrin:

Er... I don't think garlic is going to be particularily hard or expensive to acquire.

Dhavaer
2009-07-17, 09:44 PM
You can use a well-perforated cask, some rope & create water to make a nice shower. Personal Hygiene is important you know.

Remember to use Prestidigitation as well, to heat the water. Maybe scent it, too.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-17, 09:45 PM
Er... I don't think garlic is going to be particularily hard or expensive to acquire.

Some DMs will demand you find something with a listed price & stats to be actually be allowed to "Have" it, even if the item is extremely mundane.

Coidzor
2009-07-17, 09:46 PM
I thought it was listed under tradegoods? Like, such and such pounds of silver, iron, gold, flour... pigs, sheep, goats, cows. That sorta thing.

lsfreak
2009-07-17, 09:51 PM
Remember to use Prestidigitation as well, to heat the water. Maybe scent it, too.

Or just use prestidigitation to clean. One cubic foot a round for an hour is a lot of cleaning. Get it in item form (1800gp gets an unlimited-use, no-slot item) so the creepy old wizard isn't staring at you while it happens.

Garlic is 1cp/oz according to AEG.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-17, 09:55 PM
Or just use prestidigitation to clean. One cubic foot a round for an hour is a lot of cleaning. Get it in item form (1800gp gets an unlimited-use, no-slot item) so the creepy old wizard isn't staring at you while it happens.

Prestidigitation only cleans items. Even if it could clean living creatures, it's going to take a long while and a lot of prestidigitation to clean a 6'+ man.

Nothing about Create Water specifies a temperature it's created at. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to assume it can create at any temperature that wouldn't turn into a weapon. So if you want a reasonably warm shower, just create warm water.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-17, 10:03 PM
Some DMs will demand you find something with a listed price & stats to be actually be allowed to "Have" it, even if the item is extremely mundane.

Order a meal at a restaurant (price listed in DMG), and ask for a clove of garlic on the side.

Or raid a farm.

Coidzor
2009-07-17, 10:04 PM
ooo!

Lassos! And the spiked/razor versions of the plain-old throwin' net. great against humanoid-shaped opponents, especially BBEGs. And they're ranged touch attacks too, so the non-proficiency penalty isn't that much of a gimping.

Pika...
2009-07-17, 10:04 PM
Hmm. There's the listening cone. And the collapsible pole which doubles as a 20-foot pole if you hook two of them together. And, uh... flour grenades...

Flour grenades?

That was a specialty of mine. And here I thought I was original for buying pouches and filling them with flour from the PHB. :smallfrown:

Coidzor
2009-07-17, 10:06 PM
They're so great that the long-standing tradition of doing that was encoded into the code of adventurers with Dungeonscape. At least I think it was dungeonscape.

Pika...
2009-07-17, 10:06 PM

What the good eats guy said.

Pika...
2009-07-17, 10:07 PM

Thank you!

Mr.Moron
2009-07-17, 10:20 PM
Order a meal at a restaurant (price listed in DMG), and ask for a clove of garlic on the side.

"No. I don't know what you're up to, but stop trying to ruin my game, don't be a munchkin"

Or raid a farm.

Sir Railway the arbitrarily high level defender of the people stops you.

I've not had experience with this type of DM but my understanding is they are fairly common.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-17, 10:46 PM
Fire. Lots and lots of fire.

Random832
2009-07-17, 10:54 PM
Prestidigitation only cleans items. Even if it could clean living creatures, it's going to take a long while and a lot of prestidigitation to clean a 6'+ man.

One cubic foot per round. If we assume 6' tall, 3' wide in both directions, that's five minutes.

Did you think you had to cast separately for each action?

Mr.Moron
2009-07-17, 10:57 PM
One cubic foot per round. If we assume 6' tall, 3' wide in both directions, that's five minutes.

Did you think you had to cast separately for each action?

Indeed. I stand correct. That said, it still can't clean creatures. Good for doing your laundry, after your shower though. No sense cleaning up and getting into dirty clothes.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-17, 10:59 PM
"No. I don't know what you're up to, but stop trying to ruin my game, don't be a munchkin"

Sir Railway the arbitrarily high level defender of the people stops you.

I've not had experience with this type of DM but my understanding is they are fairly common.

Having had firsthand experience... you're pretty much on the money there.

Other possibilities are:

"There are no farms."

"Huh? How do people ea-"

"THERE ARE NO FARMS"

"... okay. How abou-"

"Garlic does not exist!"

"... but it sa-"

"DOES NOT EXIST IN MY UNIVERSE"

"But the pasta dishes... they will go unseasoned..."

"NO GARLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"... okay jeez. What abou-"

"No."

Random832
2009-07-17, 11:46 PM
Good for doing your laundry, after your shower though.

Yeah, but Dry Clean Only clothes get a save (+0 bonus) to become ruined. :smallcool:

oxinabox
2009-07-17, 11:57 PM
in the arms and equiptment guide there achemical item that eats through stone.

ummm, make all your amour and weopons admant.
Alot of DM's like using moster with DR/addy.
and haveing DR/- on yoru armour never hurts

Pay a cleric to align you weopons. perminantly.

umm... if your dm will let you have it:
A improved spyglass:
As a full round action, you may use it to get a +20 bonus to spot.

oooh! get a portable ram!

If all else fail buy a ship.

TSED
2009-07-18, 12:00 AM
Yeah, but Dry Clean Only clothes get a save (+0 bonus) to become ruined. :smallcool:

What? Prestidigition is the DEFINITION of 'dry clean.'

EDIT:: Some other suggestions: Backup masterwork weapons. One for every DR!

Pika...
2009-07-18, 12:31 AM
Oh, and if you have a bag of Holding don't forget to buy a barrel (say a 31 gallon one) and fill it with 31 gallons of ale. Then buy 6 or sow mugs. Would be surprised how helpful these items can be.

mabriss lethe
2009-07-18, 01:22 AM
I don't know how much cash you have to spare, but there are some magic items you can pack that are very useful and have a low cost.

-Baatorian greensteel (nonmagical)weapons +1 to damage that stacks with magical enhancements +1000 gp per weapon

-Augmentation crystals : least elemental assault (+1 damage of specified energy type and ironward diamond spring to mind..both well within WBL at 6th.)

-Symbol of Transfiguration (500gp) 1/day make your weapon good aligned.

-Potions, potions, potions: Sure, wands are better, if you can cast from them, but a handful of potions and oils of various 1st level spells can be a godsend (and they're also 50gp a pop.) Expeditious retreat, entropic shield, disguise self, enlarge person, hide from undead...there are a lot of handy ones to have stashed for a rainy day.

Alleine
2009-07-18, 01:33 AM
3E Oriental Adventures has eggshell grenades. The one that caught my eye was the dust egg grenade. On a successful touch attack the target is blinded, so save. Useful even at high levels, especially if you can get ways to boost its range.

I plan on making my DM cry with a character who specializes in them :smallamused:

Mindleshank
2009-07-18, 01:48 AM
With a variety of uses at least in my experience Soap!