PDA

View Full Version : Two Medical feats and a new magical item. Opinion?

ambu
2005-09-02, 03:20 PM
Hi to all :) After purchasing the book Iron Heroes from Malhavoc Press I started thinking of ways to make the Heal skill an acceptable alternative, albeit inferior, substitute to clerical healing. This is what I came with:

Medical knowledge (General)
Benefit: The subjects you treat with the Heal skill receive double the benefits after a succesfull Hea check

Paramedic (General)
Benefit: If you succed in a Heal check appropriate for the situation , the bemefits of a succesfull Heal check MADE BY ANOTHER CHARACTER gain a 50% increase

This way, two PCs with the aboce feats can sometimes cure up to 5 hp per day, meaning that in most cases most classes will regain full HP after a number of days close to their level or half that time if they do nothing but rest. Not bad, I believe. Now for the item:

Traveller waterskin:
This well made leather waterskin can hold up to four gallons of a liquid. Every night at a specific hour the waterskin will produce water up to its maximum capacity, even if it holds another type of liquid.
(CL1 , create water, 360 gp)

What do you think?

Grey Watcher
2005-09-02, 03:31 PM
Medical knowledge (General)
Benefit: The subjects you treat with the Heal skill receive double the benefits after a succesfull Hea check

Interesting stuff, thought I think this might be a tad overpowered, to have a single feat double the effectiveness of an entire skill. I think it might be better to have you select a specific type and/or subtype of creature for this bonus. Perhaps use the Ranger Favored Enemy list, or something.

ambu
2005-09-02, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Well, what if the player could initially apply the feat to a race. Then, every five ranks of Heal he can choose another one...

Grey Watcher
2005-09-02, 03:47 PM
I was thinking that he'd have to spend a new feat to apply this bonus to a new race, much like Weapon Focus or Skill Focus. But that might work, too.

Deathshadow
2005-09-02, 04:01 PM
I don't know if doubling the power of the heal skill can be called overpowered i mean remember when you double zero you still have zero. (remember a cleric could have the whole team up and running in a day anyways)

As such I would say that you should combine them into one feat and make it such that they don't stack. Just an opinion though.

Waterskin

Great item I like it alot but i think you got the cost wrong

for a 1 use a day wonderous item of create water that creates 4 gallons you would need a caster lvl of 2 so

base cost
2(casterlvl)x .5 (spell lvl) x 2000 (base) = 2000

one cast per day adjustment
2000/5 = 400

divide the cost in half if 24 hr or longer duration (instantanious counts as perm is my guess)
400/2 =200

so unless I'm wrong they should only cost 200 gp each, not bad I'd say.

Ayana
2005-09-02, 06:17 PM
I don't feel these are overpowered at all. I've never seen a group that had a healer class rest more than a day at most because in a single day of dedicated rest a healing spellcaster can cure sooo many HPs as to bring everyone to full.

ambu
2005-09-03, 03:29 AM
Exactly my point Ayana! What I was trying to achieve with these feats is a way that parties with no clerics can recover enough in four days to keep on going.
Deathshadow, thanks for the correction.