PDA

View Full Version : Question: odd golems

Tobi_goodboy
2009-07-17, 10:35 PM
My friends and i were kicking around a few ideas for characters when the idea of a sentient golem/homunculus (sp?)--unfortunately, this lead to an odd thing:

what would a living person's soul put into an artificial body be called--and an artificial soul inserted into the empty body of the earlier person?

seeing as a homunculus is an artificial life form altogether and golems dont really have souls... it's been bothering me for a while now as to what to call things like this.

any help? (also, if this is posted in the wrong section or something similar, then please tell me and i'll correct the problem)

Vaynor
2009-07-17, 10:55 PM
It seems these would function much like the warforged, living constructs.

DracoDei
2009-07-18, 08:48 AM
Mentally? Maybe.

Physically? Probably not.

erikun
2009-07-18, 10:50 AM
Well, it would either be a Living Construct (such as a Warforged), a Construct (such as an animated object), or an Object (such as what happens when you cast Trap the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm)). Which one depends mainly on if the soul can manipulate the body - yes is a Construct, no is an Object with a soul inside.

You'd probably want said Construct to be the Living Construct type, if you wanted any sense of party balance. :smalltongue:

As for an "artifical" soul in a human body? It wouldn't be called anything special. Assuming it has an intelligence, it's no different from putting a rabbit's soul in a human body, or a demon possessing the body, or anything similar - it's still a human.

(Sidenote: D&D lore states that elemental souls are used to power Golems and other constructs, not "artifically created souls". And undead are supposed to be evil. :smallamused:)

Tobi_goodboy
2009-08-12, 10:26 AM
Thank you very much everyone, but the game we were going to use this in was scrapped for various reasons.

Again, thanks for the help and I do plan on putting this into play in another session.

now, im off to do some research on other needless tidbits of... stuff!