PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Shadowrun...

Maerok
2009-07-18, 01:30 PM
As the question for getting into any game, which edition/book should I be looking at? I see the 4th edition from 2007 and a 20th anniversary one from 2009.

thegurullamen
2009-07-18, 01:47 PM
As in a 1st edition?

4th Ed = not-so-gritty post-cyberpunk urban brawlscape (with wireless!)
1st Ed.= sorta-gritty cyberpunk urban hellzone

I might be wrong about 1st Ed, having never played it, but I think that's the general opinion on the forums. If nothing else, flip through the pages and see what strikes your fancy.

Raum
2009-07-18, 02:17 PM
As the question for getting into any game, which edition/book should I be looking at? I see the 4th edition from 2007 and a 20th anniversary one from 2009.The '20th Anniversary' printing is still 4th edition with some errata corrected. You'll probably need to look at used books to find earlier editions.

Some significant changes were made in 4th edition, both system and storyline. SR has its own set of 'edition wars'. :smallwink:

As for what edition to start with, that depends on what you're looking for. Mechanically, SR4 is probably the smoothest. The resolution system is changed so you have a static target number and modifiers change the number of dice rolled. It also changes decking / hacking to make deckers useful in a fight. 4th also updates the history & technology to account for some of the modern world advances over the last 20 years - wireless and augmented reality being the big ones. I think 4th also loses some of the dystopianism that was a central theme in earlier editions.

Personally I liked the dystopian, humanist, and individualistic themes explored in earlier editions. But we did relegate deckers to NPC only status and deal with target number oddities (TN of 7 was no harder than TN of 6 yet 6 was significantly harder than 5).

However, if you want a currently supported product you'll need to stick with 4th edition. Have fun gaming!

Maerok
2009-07-18, 03:16 PM
I'm up for the edition that plays smoothest. I'll inject my own futuristic dystopianism and fluff once I have the bloody thing tied down.

I'm pretty familiar with the setting and material, but I usually follow a game online for a year or more before actually picking it up.

Swordguy
2009-07-18, 03:46 PM
Yeah, if you're looking for a smooth system and have no prior SR experience, pick up the 20th anniversary book. Some of the wireless Matrix rules are kinda clunky, but the learning curve on 4e is a LOT lower than previous editions.