PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Prc] Spawn of Mephistopheles; Hellfire Given Cataclysmic Form

Xefas
2009-07-18, 04:26 PM
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/85478.jpg

Cataclysm of Fire

The children of Mephistopheles burn with their sire's seething hatred and terrifying power, sometimes metaphorically, but more often literally. These hell-branded creatures find early in life that when their blood boils in the heat of conflict, fire comes to their aid, protecting them, empowering them, and scorching the subject of their ire to ashes.

This sort of power, matched with a mind easily drawn to the killing arts, produces a deadly weapon few can match. Most often, filled with arrogance at their capacity to bully those around them, they become tools of evil. A select few, however, do overcome Mephistopheles' legacy and fight the good fight backed by fire that incinerates even the fiends that revel in it.

Requirements
Skills: Tumble 4 ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 4 ranks
Maneuvers: Must be able to use at least one 2nd level maneuver of the Desert Wind discipline
Invocations: Must be able to use the Hell's Fire* and Devil's Sight invocations.
*spoilered at the end of this post

Hit Die d8
Skill Points 4 + intelligence modifier
Class Skills Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble

Cataclysm of Fire
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Child of Hellfire

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Burning Blood

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Stance of the Living Inferno

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Fiery Footfalls

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Body of Unquenchable Flames
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Cataclysms of Fire do not gain proficiency in any weapons or armor.

Martial and Invoking Progression At every level, a Cataclysm of Fire gains new Invocations known and increased Eldritch Blast damage, as well as new Maneuvers Known, Maneuvers Readied, and Stances Known as if he'd gained a level in an Invocation using class and a Martial Initiator class he'd belonged to before taking a level in this prestige class. At every level, he also adds 1 to his Initiator level and his Caster Level for the purposes of his invocations.

Child of Hellfire (Su): Fire conjured by the progeny of Mephistopheles is drawn directly from the eighth layer of the Nine Hells, and burns hotter and darker than any other. Any fire damage they deal with invocations or Desert Wind maneuvers is not subject to Fire Resistance or Immunity to Fire.

In addition, a Cataclysm of Fire is immune to fire damage, and any Hellfire damage he creates (but not the Hellfire of others).

Burning Blood: Whenever a Cataclysm of Fire uses a Desert Wind strike that deals fire damage, they deal additional fire damage equal to their Eldritch Blast damage. In addition, they may apply an Eldritch Essence invocation to their Desert Wind strikes.

Stance of the Living Inferno (Su): As a swift action, when in a Desert Wind stance, a Cataclysm of Fire can forgo the effects of that stance to enter the Stance of the Living Inferno. While in this stance, they may move into a fire that occupies at least a full 5ft square and leave another similarly sized section of fire within 100 feet as if the two were linked, once per round. He may take with him up to his maximum load of weight.

Fiery Footfalls (Su): While in any Desert Wind stance, a Cataclysm of Fire leaves a trail of Hellfire when he walks. Any time the Cataclysm moves, fire persists in his path for 1 round, dealing 1d6 Hellfire damage to any that move through it.

As a swift action, the Cataclysm may expend any boost he has readied to empower his Fiery Footfalls. For one round per level of the boost expended his Fiery Footfall ability causes 2d6 damage per level of the expended boost instead of it's normal damage. The empowered fire lasts for 3 rounds instead of 1.

Body of Unquenchable Flames (Su): A true Cataclysm of Fire may, as a full-round action, turn their blood into pure burning Hellfire. Their muscles and synapses go into overdrive from the magical fire, giving the Cataclysm a +10 bonus to Strength, Dexterity, and all movement speeds. In addition, their body emits sweltering heat, dealing an amount of Hellfire damage to creatures within 10 feet equal to their Eldritch Blast damage. This intense heat devours oxygen very quickly to fuel itself, causing creatures within 15 feet who are required to breathe to survive to begin drowning. In this case, it takes only 1/4th the time it normally takes to ‘drown’, as air is sucked even from their lungs.

When a Cataclysm takes on the Body of Unquenchable Flames, and at the beginning of every turn that it is still active, their maximum and current hit points are reduced by 5.

The transformation can be ended as a standard action, though the Cataclysm is exhausted afterward until they get a good night’s rest. Lost maximum hit points are regained at a rate of 1 per hour of rest the Cataclysm gets.

Hell's Fire
Least; 2nd
As a standard action, you create a burst of Hellfire within 30 feet that occupies a 10ft cube, dealing 1d6 fire damage +1 additional fire damage per invoker level to those in the area. The fire lingers afterward for 1 round per invoker level, dealing damage to those that move through or end their turn in the area.

Unlike normal fire, this damage results from infernal power and is not subject to fire resistance or fire immunity.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-18, 10:43 PM
Quick Skim:
Firey Footfalls just seems so, bland. A Static 3d6? It's a nice visual affect but so irrelevant later in the game. Perhpas if it was somehow use based (While in a Dester Wind stance you expend a boost to activate for a trail of fire for the next X rounds, doing YD6 damage where Y is 2* Manuever level)

PId6
2009-07-19, 12:02 AM
First of all, serious points for flavor and coolness. Though, about your example, wouldn't the baby catch fire when you bring it out since the baby isn't immune to fire? Oh right, evil alignment.

Okay, since this is a dual progression class, shouldn't it be a 10 level PrC? Otherwise you'll have to dump one of those classes way too early which you really don't want to do. You'll already have to invest significantly into both classes just to get into the PrC, so you should be able to advance both for more than just 5 levels.

One of the most annoying problems with dual progression classes is that the levels before you can take the class are intolerable. A cleric 3/wizard 3, for example, hates life and wants to kill himself at the first opportunity. Thus, many of the optimization tricks are to allow you to get into Mystic Theurge as soon as possible to minimize those pains.

Now, for this class, it looks like you're best off focusing on swordsage and keeping warlock secondary. Still, you'll need at least 6 levels of warlock to get 2nd level invocations. That means you need 4 levels of swordsage to have +7 BAB. Having to wait till level 11 to start taking the class just seems too punishing, in my opinion, since swordsage and Warlock don't naturally mix well (especially when you have to spend your lesser invocation on something other than flight or invisibility). A warlock 6/swordsage 4 looks upon cleric 3/wizard 3 with envy.

It might be better to require less BAB and not require a second level invocation, just to make it faster to get into the class. Having less warlock levels also mean that you can have Inferno Blast before level 20, and this class seems built for that maneuver.

Another thing is, as Mr.Moron above me pointed out, some of the class features don't level well. Fiery Footfalls is fairly useless even in the level that you'd get it, and just becomes worse as you level up. Body of Unquenchable Flames is better but I'm still not a big fan of static damage that never grows, since it is either too strong for the level you get it or just absolutely useless once you reach a certain point. Possibly something like the Hellfire Warlock's Hellfire Shield and base it off of your Eldritch Blast damage? That would at least grow with level.

Stance of the Living Inferno, while cool, is a bit too environment-specific and not living fully to its potential. An ability to create lasting flames of your own would synergize nicely, possibly by granting Wall of Perilous Flames as a bonus invocation at higher levels. That, or make your Desert Wind maneuvers that deal fire damage create small fires on the ground that last for a short time. Right now, the potential of that ability seems wasted without relying on a wizard to Wall of Fire for you (and if that's the case, he can probably more easily use Dimension Door instead).

Xefas
2009-07-19, 12:14 PM
Quick Skim:
Firey Footfalls just seems so, bland. A Static 3d6? It's a nice visual affect but so irrelevant later in the game. Perhpas if it was somehow use based (While in a Dester Wind stance you expend a boost to activate for a trail of fire for the next X rounds, doing YD6 damage where Y is 2* Manuever level)

Alright, I toned down the continuous effect (I won't lie, the nice visual was the primary reason I made the ability) and gave it the activated effect you suggested.

First of all, serious points for flavor and coolness. Though, about your example, wouldn't the baby catch fire when you bring it out since the baby isn't immune to fire? Oh right, evil alignment.

Oh. I guess I didn't think that through so well :smallannoyed: . Honestly, it was mostly a spur of the moment thing. I didn't really expect people to need an example, I just wanted to rant a little about alignment restrictions on base classes.

Okay, since this is a dual progression class, shouldn't it be a 10 level PrC?

Well, I didn't want to force the class into 10 level, when I think it can be summed up in 5. I know its kind of taboo to make a less than 10 level dual progression class, in the same way that it's taboo to make a base class that's less than 20 levels, even though I think you could do a lot with those, and its taboo to put in your prestige class requirements (Warlock 2/Factotum 3). Instead, you just have to name abilities that a 2nd level Warlock has, and a 3rd level Factotum has, and pretend you didn't just write (Warlock 2/Factotum 3). What's up with that taboo anyway?

Now, for this class, it looks like you're best off focusing on swordsage and keeping warlock secondary. Still, you'll need at least 6 levels of warlock to get 2nd level invocations. That means you need 4 levels of swordsage to have +7 BAB. Having to wait till level 11 to start taking the class just seems too punishing, in my opinion, since swordsage and Warlock don't naturally mix well (especially when you have to spend your lesser invocation on something other than flight or invisibility).

Well, I changed the entry requirements. Now it's possible to get in with only 6 levels of Warlock (with a feat), though you really wouldn't want to without a level of Swordsage. So, you can get in at 8th level now. Is that better?

Honestly, I would make it accessible at 6th, but I can't find a least invocation that's thematically appropriate for Mephistopheles (other than my big bag of homebrewed Warlock invocations, and I always feel awkward mixing homebrew with other homebrew). Not even in Dragon Magic or Complete Mage.

I would -love- to make the requirement Warlock 2/Swordsage 3. If you can suggest a good least invocation for Mephistopheles.

An ability to create lasting flames of your own would synergize nicely, possibly by granting Wall of Perilous Flames as a bonus invocation at higher levels.

I made it so you can create walls of persistent fire with the Fiery Footfalls ability. Does that help? Or is it not enough?

Mr.Moron
2009-07-19, 12:29 PM
Oh no! I really only gave the description of the ability as the type of thing that might fit. The wording is just too awful to be directly imported like that.

In addition, as a swift action, the Cataclysm may expend a boost of any discipline to empower his Fiery Footfalls, making any instances until the end of his turn deal Yd6 damage, where Y is 2*the level of the expending boost instead of the normal 1d6, and their duration be 1 round per level of the expended boost.

This should probably read something like

As a swift action, the Cataclysm may expend any boost he has readied to empower his Fiery Footfalls. For one round per level of the boost expended his Fiery Footfall ability causes 2d6 damage per level of the expended boost instead of it's normal damage.

or something similar. I can't think of any abilties that really use variables like X & Y. So the wording feels really off as currently written. I think it might be better given a strict cap, say 2-3 rounds instead of scaling with the boost level. Since it's already scaling fairly well with boost level (Damage) there is no need to scale it again (Duration) against boost level as well.

Xefas
2009-07-19, 04:49 PM
Oh no! I really only gave the description of the ability as the type of thing that might fit. The wording is just too awful to be directly imported like that.

Alright, wording changed. But I don't think variables are so bad.

PId6
2009-07-19, 04:59 PM
Well, I didn't want to force the class into 10 level, when I think it can be summed up in 5. I know its kind of taboo to make a less than 10 level dual progression class, in the same way that it's taboo to make a base class that's less than 20 levels, even though I think you could do a lot with those, and its taboo to put in your prestige class requirements (Warlock 2/Factotum 3). Instead, you just have to name abilities that a 2nd level Warlock has, and a 3rd level Factotum has, and pretend you didn't just write (Warlock 2/Factotum 3). What's up with that taboo anyway?
I don't think it's just because of taboo for dual progression classes to be 10 levels. The reason is that you really want to advance both classes at once as much as possible. You're sacrificing a lot of things by going dual progression, like losing most of your class features as well as getting things (spellcasting/invocations/maneuvers) much later than those that just stay in their original class. With dual progression, you don't really need class features in every level; getting the dual progression is more than reason enough to stay in it.

Oh, and we already have base classes with less than 20 levels. They're called fighter and sorcerer.

As for naming abilities rather than classes, I think the point was supposed to be that if you have some alternative class similar to the original that's homebrewed or printed in some later supplement, it would still qualify for the PrC. Gives more flexibility, really.

Well, I changed the entry requirements. Now it's possible to get in with only 6 levels of Warlock (with a feat), though you really wouldn't want to without a level of Swordsage. So, you can get in at 8th level now. Is that better?
Better, sure, but it's still pretty painful to get there. A warlock isn't much of a powerhouse, and two levels of swordsage won't make it much better, so you'll still have several levels of 'I hate life'.

Honestly, I would make it accessible at 6th, but I can't find a least invocation that's thematically appropriate for Mephistopheles (other than my big bag of homebrewed Warlock invocations, and I always feel awkward mixing homebrew with other homebrew). Not even in Dragon Magic or Complete Mage.

I would -love- to make the requirement Warlock 2/Swordsage 3. If you can suggest a good least invocation for Mephistopheles.
True, that is a problem. Soulreaving Aura from CM comes close, though. Just homebrewing a single least invocation for this class shouldn't be too bad either, and you won't have to bring in more homebrewed invocations than that. Either way, you should at least get rid of the Devil's Sight requirement. With this class's limited invocation slots, having to waste even one is bad enough; having to waste two is just painful.

I made it so you can create walls of persistent fire with the Fiery Footfalls ability. Does that help? Or is it not enough?
I guess this works well enough, letting you go back to where you were before, though three rounds might be a bit short for teleportation purposes. Gradually extinguishing flames? One thing I'm not sure about though, what did you mean by the fires having to be "similar sized"?

Xefas
2009-07-19, 05:14 PM
True, that is a problem. Soulreaving Aura from CM comes close, though. Just homebrewing a single least invocation for this class shouldn't be too bad either, and you won't have to bring in more homebrewed invocations than that. Either way, you should at least get rid of the Devil's Sight requirement. With this class's limited invocation slots, having to waste even one is bad enough; having to waste two is just painful.

I may just need to do that, then. I'll make a homebrewed least invocation, and that'll fix the requirements, and hopefully some of the wonkiness of getting to the class in the first place.

I don't want to get rid of Devil's Sight, though. Warlock is the mechanical way of saying "I'm descended from some kind of fiend of the lower planes. Here it is, on my character sheet. I have game mechanics that say this." Devil's Sight makes it more specific "I'm descended from a devil. Not a demon. Demon's suck. I have the signature devil ability to see in magical darkness. Why? Cause I'm a devil, goddamn it, and nothing else. Here it is on my sheet. Devil."

And if you're going to be descended from the kings of all devil kind, you better be as devilish as possible.

I guess this works well enough, letting you go back to where you were before, though three rounds might be a bit short for teleportation purposes. Gradually extinguishing flames? One thing I'm not sure about though, what did you mean by the fires having to be "similar sized"?

Don't forget you can light things on fire with...fire. Hell, you can light yourself on fire, because you don't take fire damage. Then use the fire on yourself to teleport. Throw a molotov cocktail to wherever you wanna go, and teleport there. Use Brimstone Blast to catch someone on fire, and teleport adjacent to them. I don't think its as restrictive as you make it out to be.

By 'similar sized', I mean it as a reiteration of 'occupies at least a full 5ft square'. I just...didn't know how else to reiterate it other than saying it again, which seems like some unnecessarily dry repetition.

PId6
2009-07-19, 05:35 PM
I don't want to get rid of Devil's Sight, though. Warlock is the mechanical way of saying "I'm descended from some kind of fiend of the lower planes. Here it is, on my character sheet. I have game mechanics that say this." Devil's Sight makes it more specific "I'm descended from a devil. Not a demon. Demon's suck. I have the signature devil ability to see in magical darkness. Why? Cause I'm a devil, goddamn it, and nothing else. Here it is on my sheet. Devil."

And if you're going to be descended from the kings of all devil kind, you better be as devilish as possible.
True, it's good for fluff. But requiring both that and another useless invocation, like Brimstone Blast, seems a bit much. It's less of a problem if the homebrewed one is a lot more useful though.

Use Brimstone Blast to catch someone on fire, and teleport adjacent to them. I don't think its as restrictive as you make it out to be.
Hmm, can you teleport onto someone that's caught on fire? It says it requires a full 5-ft square to be on fire, so I'd assume a creature wouldn't count. Maybe clarify it so that you can teleport if you set yourself on fire and you can teleport adjacent to a creature that is on fire?

Xefas
2009-07-19, 08:02 PM
True, it's good for fluff. But requiring both that and another useless invocation, like Brimstone Blast, seems a bit much. It's less of a problem if the homebrewed one is a lot more useful though.

Hmm, can you teleport onto someone that's caught on fire? It says it requires a full 5-ft square to be on fire, so I'd assume a creature wouldn't count. Maybe clarify it so that you can teleport if you set yourself on fire and you can teleport adjacent to a creature that is on fire?

I'm beginning to think that if the stance is gonna give that much trouble, I should just put something else in its place. It seemed like such a simple idea at the time.

Anyway, how is this for the least invocation (I balanced against Summon Swarm):

Hellfire Blast
Least; 2nd
As a standard action, you create a burst of Hellfire within 30 feet that occupies a 10ft cube, dealing 1d6 fire damage to those in the area. The fire lingers afterward for 2 additional rounds, dealing damage to those that move through or end their turn in the area.

Unlike normal fire, this damage results from infernal power and is not subject to fire resistance or fire immunity.

PId6
2009-07-19, 08:19 PM
I'm beginning to think that if the stance is gonna give that much trouble, I should just put something else in its place. It seemed like such a simple idea at the time.

Anyway, how is this for the least invocation (I balanced against Summon Swarm):

Hellfire Blast
Least; 2nd
As a standard action, you create a burst of Hellfire within 30 feet that occupies a 10ft cube, dealing 1d6 fire damage to those in the area. The fire lingers afterward for 2 additional rounds, dealing damage to those that move through or end their turn in the area.

I do like the stance, it just needs a bit of clarification. With the new invocation, it can be pretty useful.

As for the invocation, you might want to give a different name just so it's not confused with the Hellfire Warlock's ability. Is it meant to only be used with the stance or meant to actually be used in combat? For the former, the duration is way too short. Something like 1 round/invoker level might be better. For the latter, the damage is pretty much insignificant for anything past level 1.

What about just making it a weaker version of Wall of Perilous Flames? A 10x10x10 fire that lasts 1 round/invoker level and deals 1d6 damage +1 damage/invoker level. It's helpful if used creatively, but hardly overpowered.

Xefas
2009-07-20, 02:13 PM
What about just making it a weaker version of Wall of Perilous Flames? A 10x10x10 fire that lasts 1 round/invoker level and deals 1d6 damage +1 damage/invoker level. It's helpful if used creatively, but hardly overpowered.

Done. Added into the first post, and set as the new prerequisite. Should be able to be entered by 6th level, now.

PId6
2009-07-21, 09:11 PM
Done. Added into the first post, and set as the new prerequisite. Should be able to be entered by 6th level, now.
Actually, since half your warlock levels count towards initiator level, you qualify at level 5.

I made a basic swordsage-focused build and it looks pretty good. You can get 16 BAB and amazing reflex and will saves, though your fortitude save isn't so great. The invocations help the swordsage a lot, though it's still probably not as strong as a full swordsage. You do suffer from an unfortunate case of MAD, however. Weapon Finesse is almost mandatory and your save DCs for your essences probably won't be too high.

Build:
Warlock 2/Swordsage 2/Cataclysm 5/Warlock +2/Swordsage +9

This gives you 16 BAB and a 5d6 Eldritch Blast, which is a decent boost but not really that strong later on. You'll have one free least invocation and two lesser ones, as well as Deceive Item for making use of UMD. You get the swordsage's Insightful Strike and AC Bonus, though that enhances your MAD due to needing Wisdom. You also get a bunch of other swordsage goodies, like Quick to Act +3 and Evasion, which is always nice.

You end up with 21 maneuvers known, 10 readied, and 5 stances. You get your 9th level maneuver at 19th level. The last level of swordsage doesn't add much beyond a single maneuver known. Another level of warlock would be nice for a final lesser invocation, but you'll lose a BAB which brings you do to +15, losing your last iterative attack. Dipping into a full-BAB class like Warblade can be great though, especially since you'd get the awesome Iron Heart Surge.
Overall, it's a solid PrC with cool fluff, adding some of the warlock's abilities to the swordsage and making Desert Wind more usable. It's not really a true dual-progression class in the sense that it's not so much a warlock/swordsage as it is a swordsage with some warlock powers. But I like it, and I look forward to trying it in a game when I get the chance.

Xefas
2009-07-21, 10:11 PM
Overall, it's a solid PrC with cool fluff, adding some of the warlock's abilities to the swordsage and making Desert Wind more usable. It's not really a true dual-progression class in the sense that it's not so much a warlock/swordsage as it is a swordsage with some warlock powers. But I like it, and I look forward to trying it in a game when I get the chance.

Well, then I did what I set out to do. Definitely with the 'making Desert Wind more usable'. I always loved that discipline, but fire and cold damage are always iffy.

If you do end up using it in some capacity, I definitely wouldn't mind a little info on how it went. :smallsmile:

LunarWolfPrime
2009-10-12, 10:03 PM
This intense heat devours oxygen very quickly to fuel itself, causing creatures within 15 feet who are required to breathe to survive to begin drowning. In this case, it takes only 1/4th the time it normally takes to ‘drown’, as air is sucked even from their lungs.

Wouldn't that also effect the user to?