PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers....

Freejack451
2009-07-18, 07:16 PM
I feel like a idiot for asking this but how do you spoiler posts? I have been a lurker for a little while, but rarely if ever post, you guys have a great way of answering any questions for me. I rarely cruise any forums but this one so I have not had a chance to learn any where else.
I looked around but I am assuming that I missed ( if it were a snake it would have bit me), or that its assumed that I should know. So please excuse my stupid question and give a semi old timer/internet fool a hand.

thanks in advance

Freejack

Dogmantra
2009-07-18, 07:34 PM
The order are all zombies in a cheesy sitcom! gives you The order are all zombies in a cheesy sitcom!

Freejack451
2009-07-18, 07:39 PM
Ok, so its like HTML. Thanks I thought that may be true but didn't want to litter the forums. Your a good man for answering and not making feel too stupid.

Freejack

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-19, 07:29 AM
Ok, so its like HTML. Thanks I thought that may be true but didn't want to litter the forums.
If you want to experiment with BBCode Markup, the best thing to do is to hit the "New Thread" button, right a post with your experiment, hit "Preview Post", and never actually submit the thing. Just keep refreshing the preview.

You could do the same thing with replying to an existing thread or editing your signature, which both also allow previews without submitting a final result.

Jimorian
2009-07-19, 07:42 AM
Also, if you see somebody has done a trick and you want to know howit was done, hit "Quote" on their post and you can see the source code.

Athaniar
2009-07-19, 09:13 AM
By the way, why isn't spoiler an option in the toolbar? It would not only serve to reduce these questions, it would also make it easier for everyone.

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 09:48 AM
They were talking about doing that sometime ago, and there was even a call for possible buttons. Dunno what happened with it, but I doubt asking again will hurry it up.

Rawhide
2009-07-19, 10:15 AM
Well, firstly, there are many BB codes that do not have buttons. We're not going to provide buttons for all of them and you can find their codes here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode).

However, that said, we do see the benefit of a spoiler button and intend to include one. We were making moves towards that previously but it fell to the wayside when people just started insulting us.

Feel free to make and propose a spoiler button of your own, but remember that it must fit within the style and colour scheme of the current buttons, be clearly distinguishable as meaning spoiler, be 21x20px, be in GIF format and you need to hand over the rights for us to use it without without limitations.

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 10:22 AM
People started throwing insults? I don't remember that bit.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 10:29 AM
Thread, Post, NoParse, Superscript, Subscript, Table and Attach are the others.
Incidentally, what are attachments?:smallconfused:

Lolzords
2009-07-19, 10:50 AM
Heh, I made the exact same post when I joined this forum.

[ spoiler ] *TEXT* [ /spoiler ]

But with no spaces, of course.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-19, 04:13 PM
Incidentally, what are attachments?:smallconfused:
Something that is actually disabled, though it hasn't been removed from the FAQ. See the "Posting Rules" box at the bottom of pretty much any page on the forum:

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

Anyway, it's a way of uploading various files to your post.

People started throwing insults? I don't remember that bit.
Uh, yeah. Last I saw, the thread kind of died after Rawhide mentioned he wanted more submissions. No insults.

Speaking of which, are the old submissions still under consideration, or should we submit new ones?

Cryssandra
2009-07-19, 09:54 PM
you can find their codes here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode).

That would have been so helpful to know when i was first starting out a few years back....

Rawhide
2009-07-19, 10:31 PM
Well, it is in the board's FAQ and linked at the bottom of every relevant page. We can't really do much to make it more visible without affecting the rest of the site (i.e. if everything important was made more visible, everything else important would be less visible and less usable).

NerfTW
2009-07-20, 09:54 AM
Pshaw.

Reading manuals is for wimps.

rangermania
2009-08-03, 03:21 AM
Thank you!