PDA

View Full Version : whats with keither baker?

Origomar
2009-07-18, 10:18 PM
who is he and im curious why he is refrenced alot in oots.

Darius1020
2009-07-18, 10:19 PM
where is he referenced?

Origomar
2009-07-18, 10:20 PM
where is he referenced?

in SoD and somewhere else that i dont remember

Edit: maybe not ALOT but he is refferenced :P

Rutskarn
2009-07-18, 10:22 PM
Keith Baker is a game designer, the man responsible for the creation of Eberron. He and Richard Burlew competed in a contest, held by Wizards, to design their next campaign setting. Burlew lost to Keith's creation, and has been mock-bitter ever since.

FoE
2009-07-18, 10:25 PM
He's the master of Bossy the Hellcow. Fear its terrible death-moo!

Origomar
2009-07-18, 10:25 PM
Keith Baker is a game designer, the man responsible for the creation of Eberron. He and Richard Burlew competed in a contest, held by Wizards, to design their next campaign setting. Burlew lost to Keith's creation, and has been mock-bitter ever since.

ahh, why didnt rich just use the oots champaign setting, nothing i know is better than that :P!

FoE
2009-07-18, 10:27 PM
ahh, why didnt rich just use the oots champaign setting, nothing i know is better than that :P!

Eberron. Has. Magic. Trains.

OotS couldn't come close to matching Eberron's undiluted levels of awesome. Legend says that the head of the first gamer who read the Eberron Campaign Setting exploded in amazement. As such, a secret second re-printing was ordered to protect the gaming community with diminished levels of awesomeness and the first copies of Eberron were burned. The ashes collected into a heap, formed sentience, transformed into a person and took the name "O'Chul".

Mando Knight
2009-07-18, 10:27 PM
Because then OotS would be legal property of WotC, and Rich didn't want that. Submitting a setting in the contest meant that the contestant gave all legal rights to the use, market, produce, etc. the setting to WotC as per the contest rules.

Elfin
2009-07-18, 10:28 PM
The competition was before OOTS existed. See preface in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools.

Elfin
2009-07-18, 10:31 PM

Ah, so that's where the Cliffport quote came from!
You know the bit...
:vaarsuvius:...I understand that sufficiently advanced magic would be indistinguishable from technology, but the architectural motifs in this city seem rather advanced for the presumed medieval time period.
:durkon:It could be worse. They could have magic trains.
:vaarsuvius:Point taken.

Kish
2009-07-18, 10:31 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html

thepsyker
2009-07-18, 10:36 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.htmlAm I the only one who thinks it might be interesting to see the Giant draw the Order in the style he used in that illustration. Just as a one off thing.

Liwen
2009-07-18, 11:18 PM

Now wait a minute... Richard Burlew

:smalleek::smallredface::smalleek:

Kish
2009-07-19, 12:27 AM
Now wait a minute... Richard Burlew

:smalleek::smallredface::smalleek:
Yes, Rich is a nickname for Richard. Is there something I'm not getting?

(Keith, on the other hand, is not a nickname for Keither.)

Kroy
2009-07-19, 12:33 AM

"Keith Baker is a talented game designer and novelist who has written work for Atlas Games, Goodman Games, Green Ronin Games, and Wizards of the Coast. His card game, Gloom, won the 2005 Origins Award for Traditional Game of the Year. He also designed some campaign setting or something. At long last, his will has been crushed beneath the iron heel of his archnemesis, Rich Burlew, and he has been chained to a desk somewhere in Colorado to churn out fodder for this website. His bizarre cow fixation is frequently on display at his personal website, www.bossythecow.com.

Rich Burlew can't draw anything but crappy stick figures."

Never noticed that at the bottom before.

Conuly
2009-07-19, 01:04 AM
Ah, so that's where the Cliffport quote came from!

And the one where Redcloak snaps that he's the one who has to keep the magic trains running while Tsukio and Voldemort Koschei the Deathless Xykon have fun torturing others and being generically evil.

FoE
2009-07-19, 01:34 AM
And the one where Redcloak snaps that he's the one who has to keep the magic trains running while Tsukiko and Xykon have fun torturing others and being generically evil.

It also doubles as a reference to Mussolini, whose regime was (falsely) reputed for "making the trains run on time."

Conuly
2009-07-19, 02:51 AM
It also doubles as a reference to Mussolini, whose regime was (falsely) reputed for "making the trains run on time."

1. Yeah, I did get that before. The extra reference just makes it more reference-y.

2. Wait - he DIDN'T make the trains run on time??? :smallconfused: Was it that they were already running on time without him, or that they never did run on time at all? Next you'll be telling me that Napoleon wasn't short (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_in_popular_culture#Napoleon.27s_height)!

NerfTW
2009-07-19, 10:40 AM

The OOTS setting is pretty cliched, shallow, and a terrible source for a mass market campaign setting. It makes a good story, but that's a whole different animal from a campaign setting where you can set multiple stories. Everything revolves around the Order of the Stick.

Although I suppose they've done that before, with Forgotten Realms. *rimshot*

As for the realistic renditions of the Order, we have seen Thog and Nale done in realistic style (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0339.html) before.

fangthane
2009-07-19, 11:43 AM

Hmm. I hope we don't have to blame Rich for the lousy job someone did proofreading that piece. :)

Other published sources (wink, wink) introduce NPC classes dealing with arcane magic, such as junior wizards whose spells can people equally useful to a blacksmith, innkeeper, or professional augur.

There appears to people a noun where there should people a verb instead.

danelsan
2009-07-19, 01:14 PM
If you ask me, Eberron is kinda like Exalted's setting with much less awesome. But them again, I'm an Exalted fanboy, so that wouldn't be a very fair question.

By the way, I dind't realize before the keith/eberron jokes had funny mock-bitterness to them...made it all the better ^_^

Random832
2009-07-19, 02:01 PM
Other published sources (wink, wink) introduce NPC classes

What sources would these be?

thepsyker
2009-07-19, 03:04 PM
Hmm. I hope we don't have to blame Rich for the lousy job someone did proofreading that piece. :)

There appears to people a noun where there should people a verb instead.Come now what sort of gaming supplement would it be without at least one typo/proofreading screw up.:smallwink:

Zherog
2009-07-19, 03:09 PM
What sources would these be?

Eberron Campaign Setting

Morty
2009-07-19, 03:16 PM
The OOTS setting is pretty cliched, shallow, and a terrible source for a mass market campaign setting. It makes a good story, but that's a whole different animal from a campaign setting where you can set multiple stories. Everything revolves around the Order of the Stick.

But it doesn't have magic trains or halflings riding on freaking dinosaurs, which makes it better than Eberron by default.
Though I agree that when compared to an actual setting, OoTSverse doesn't have much going for it. I sincierely doubt it's got any details that aren't needed for the story to flow.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-19, 09:54 PM

OotS couldn't come close to matching Eberron's undiluted levels of awesome. Legend says that the head of the first gamer who read the Eberron Campaign Setting exploded in amazement. As such, a secret second re-printing was ordered to protect the gaming community with diminished levels of awesomeness and the first copies of Eberron were burned. The ashes collected into a heap, formed sentience, transformed into a person and took the name "O'Chul".

If O'chul is made of undiluted Eberron, where is his magic motorcycle?

1. Yeah, I did get that before. The extra reference just makes it more reference-y.

2. Wait - he DIDN'T make the trains run on time??? :smallconfused: Was it that they were already running on time without him, or that they never did run on time at all? Next you'll be telling me that Napoleon wasn't short (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_in_popular_culture#Napoleon.27s_height)!

Actually, it's a little known fact that, since trains are combustion engines, you can (with some difficulty) make them run on almost any thing combustible, including herbs. Mussolini didn't make the trains run on time, he made them run on thyme.

Elfin
2009-07-19, 09:59 PM
But it doesn't have magic trains or halflings riding on freaking dinosaurs, which makes it better than Eberron by default.

:belkar:True dat.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-19, 10:05 PM
But it doesn't have magic trains or halflings riding on freaking dinosaurs, which makes it better than Eberron by default

Airships remain a more interesting form of travel than teleportation. Plus, you can't PUT ballistae and catapults on a wizard.

Secris
2009-07-19, 10:06 PM
I think Belkar would disagree with that, I'm pretty sure a dinosaur is his ideal mount, if there was a way for him to actually get on it's back.

Elfin
2009-07-19, 10:18 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that's true.

:belkar:A dinosaur? Hell yea, let's unleash the fury!

Finwe
2009-07-19, 10:22 PM
If O'chul is made of undiluted Eberron, where is his magic motorcycle?

He just hasn't needed it yet.

Actually, it's a little known fact that, since trains are combustion engines, you can (with some difficulty) make them run on almost any thing combustible, including herbs. Mussolini didn't make the trains run on time, he made them run on thyme.

I like xkcd, too!!!!! (http://xkcd.com/282/)

Bibliomancer
2009-07-19, 10:27 PM
I think Belkar would disagree with that, I'm pretty sure a dinosaur is his ideal mount, if there was a way for him to actually get on it's back.

I agree. I can easily picture Belkar riding in a howdah on a tyrannosaurus rex named "The Fury" or maybe "Timmy."

Conuly
2009-07-19, 11:36 PM

A sage decision on his part. I rue the day I decide to get into a punning contest with you. If you carrot at all, we will never speak of this moment again.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-07-20, 02:53 AM
I've been playing in an Eberron game for over 2 years now. It is the first and only campaign setting I've really gotten into, so I'm a little biased when I say I like it.

There are times, however, like when one of the players (the DM's husband), said out loud "...I just role-played paying for insurance on my passport in D and D!" Eberron can be frustrating like that. Lousy rules and regulations and city-guards that take all the Turn-Into-A-Three-Headed-Flying-Tiger-Whenever-I-Want out of the game.

Deliverance
2009-07-20, 02:12 PM
Airships remain a more interesting form of travel than teleportation. Plus, you can't PUT ballistae and catapults on a wizard.
You can if the wizard is big enough.