PDA

View Full Version : Geomaster Prestige Class

Seerow
2005-08-26, 05:07 PM
Hey all, I LIVE ONCE MORE. Not that any of you is likely to remember me, as I was here for about a week or two before... but hey.

Anyway, as the topic title implies, I made a Geomaster prestige class, simply because the idea sounded fun to me. Originally I asked my Shadowrun GM as we are going to be changing systems soon, back to D&D, and he told me about Geomaster, which was in a the complete Arcane acording to him. I search through it and can't find it, so Im assuming it was in 2nd edition or something. Then I talk to another person who is going to be DMing soon, and after hearing my original idea for the class, heavily modifies it, and between us, this is what we come up with.

Class: Geomaster
Prerequisites:
Abilities: Proficiency with all martial weapons
Spell Casting: Ability to cast Arcane spells of 4th level or higher
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Knowledge(The Planes) Rank 7.

Class Skills: Knowledge(The Planes), Concentration, Climb, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Move Silently, Survival

Skill Points at each level: 3+Int Modifier

{table]LevelBABFortRefWillSpecialSpells Per Day
1st+0+0+0+2First Element, Element Specialization, Elemental Affinity.+1 Level in existing class
2nd+1+0+1+3+1 Level in existing class
3rd+2+1+2+3+1 Level in existing class
4th+3+1+2+4Second Element+1 Level in existing class
5th+3+1+3+4Elemental Resistance+1 Level in existing class
6th+4+2+3+5+1 Level in existing class
7th+5+2+4+5Third Element+1 Level in existing class
8th+6+2+4+6+1 Level in existing class
9th+6+3+5+6+1 Level in existing class
10th+7+3+5+7Fourth Element, Improved Element Resistance, Plane Shift 1/day.+1 Level in existing class[/table]

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Geomaster gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.
Spells Per Day:
Every time you level as a Geomaster, the character also gains spells as if they had leveled in the spell casting class they were previously in. If they have been in more than one arcane spell casting class, then the player may choose which to increase.

Element Control: At first level, and every 3 levels after, the Geomaster gains control over one element of his choice. The powers the Geomaster gains with each element is as follows:

Earth: The Geomaster gains the ability to transmute a metal into any other type of non-man-made metal, at the cost of one arcane spell slot.

Fire: The Geomaster can control all flames as a spell-like ability at will, as per the control fire spell.

Water: The Geomaster can walk on water at will, and Polar Ray 3 times a day as per a spell-like ability.

Air: You may expend one spell slot to gain immunity to any wind effect, gains the power to fly over land 3 times a day, and no longer needs to breathe.

Element Specialization: Any spell the Geomaster casts that has an elemental (Fire, Water, Earth, or Air) affinity gains +1 DC and Caster level.

Elemental Affinity: The Geomaster gains the ability to survive on a plane corresponding with any element he has control over.

Elemental Resistance: At fifth level the Geomaster gains a resistance of 5 to all elements he has control of.

Improved Elemental Resistance: At 10th level the Geomaster gains a resistance of 10 to all 4 elements. This replaces Elemental Resistance rather than stacking.

Plane shift: At 10th level the Geomaster gains the ability to shift himself and his belongings between the elemental planes at will. This ability may be used only once per day.

So, now for the reason behind the topic, what do you think of it? As far as trying to balance the elements into one class, I think it does pretty well, but Earth seems to be left behind (except as a money maker...), but other than that I like it. I personally want to research spells that use the elements, (They were originally a part of the class, but was told I couldnt use them as the actual class abilities), one of the main ones on my list the ability to endow any weapon held with an Element (Which was the original reason for having the all martial weapons prereq)

Any comments, questions, critiques, ideas, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Doing tables with hand coding like that is the reason Front Page was created, whatever anybody else might think.

AdInfinitum
2005-08-26, 05:10 PM
.....Complete Divine.

But it's so poorly edited, you might be right about the older edition thing. Heck, it still has Scrye as a class skill....

The Glyphstone
2005-08-26, 05:16 PM
I think there's already a Geomancer. Not to mention, your Water specialization is quite overpowered. Polar Ray (8th level spell) 3 times per day? The prerequisites mean that a Fighter 2/Wizard7 could take Geomaster levels starting at 10th level. Normally, a pure lvl17, 17 caster level character would be capable of 1 or 2 8th level slots. This is a 10th level character who can cast up to 4th level spells, then also gets 3 8th level spells per day.

Seerow
2005-08-26, 05:27 PM
Ad Infinitum-> he was very specific about the Arcana. I was aware that there is a class in Complete Divine, but it only gives you one element if I remember right, where I wanted a class that could attain all 4. Also, he said that you would gain one element every 5 levels until 20th, which implies it was a base class rather than prestige... that's another thing that made me think 2nd edition.

Glyphstone-> That is now noted. I didnt even think about the casting level of Polar Ray, as I rarely use spellcasters (which is one reason why this interested me, for a change), and the DM suggested it. I'll talk to him about that and see what he says about it being overpowered....

jdrich
2005-08-26, 05:32 PM
Shujenja? Wu Jen?

Speak not of such things.

This class is powerful. Very powerful.

ILM
2005-08-26, 05:45 PM
a) 3/4 BAB, 10/10 caster progression ? That's already fairly good. Not overpowered, but decent. What's that weird reflex save progression ? Nothing stops you from making up your own tables, but insn't it better to stick to established ones ?

b) "Element Specialization"
That's half the DC bonus an Elemental Savant gets for one single element only. Your class gets it at first level, for all four elements. Is there any reason why a blaster wizard would NOT want to take that first level ?

[semi-off-topic : when designing a class, ask yourself if there's any reason a character would NOT take it (or at least its first levels). If not, then you most likely have an overpowered class or ability]

c) "Earth: The Geomaster gains the ability to transmute a metal into any other type of non-man-made metal, at the cost of one arcane spell slot."
Helloooo, broken. Wording needs a major overhaul. As yet, there is no limit on the volume of metal you can transform, the gp value of the metal you can transform into, the number of times per day you can do it, nor does it explicitly say you permanently lose a spell slot, nor the level of the slot you must sacrifice. Technically, I can take one single level of your class and then get unlimited money : change copper coin in platinum, get 100 copper coins, rinse, repeat. Billionaire in a day, at no cost at all.

d) "Water: The Geomaster can walk on water at will, and Polar Ray 3 times a day as per a spell-like ability."
An 8th level spell as a spell-like ability 3/day ? Let's take a look at how soon you can get in this class : Wizard 5/ Eldritch Knight 3, using the Militia feat from PGtF. That qualifies you for the class, and you can take your first level in Geomaster - and therefore your First Element, choosing Water - at character level 9. So let me reformulate my question : An 8th level spell as a spell-like ability 3/day AT LEVEL 9 ?? No way.

In short, your class is broken beyond belief :). You'll need to tweak it a little.

And btw, your GM was probably referring to either Geomancer in Complete Divine, or Geometer in Complete Arcane.

Edit : from your last post, it was actually probably Elemental Savant.

Seerow
2005-08-26, 06:45 PM
a) 3/4 BAB, 10/10 caster progression ? That's already fairly good. Not overpowered, but decent. What's that weird reflex save progression ? Nothing stops you from making up your own tables, but insn't it better to stick to established ones ?

I used the different Reflex progression because I couldnt find anything median. I found one that ended with 7, and one that ended with 3, I wanted to end with 5, and couldn't find anything like that with a cursory flipping through my books, so I made one up. Basically I just wanted something intermediate.

b) "Element Specialization"
That's half the DC bonus an Elemental Savant gets for one single element only. Your class gets it at first level, for all four elements. Is there any reason why a blaster wizard would NOT want to take that first level ?

This is true. For one, I was unaware of the Elemental Savant's similar ability. Even such, it is a bonus of 1, the same as specializing in a school of magic, which was the idea behind it. You can't really give a 1/2 bonus to make it more fair to the savant. I could perhaps bump this ability up a few levels so it isn't such an easy pick for Blaster Wizards (say put it on an uneventful level like 4 or 7)

[semi-off-topic : when designing a class, ask yourself if there's any reason a character would NOT take it (or at least its first levels). If not, then you most likely have an overpowered class or ability]

Are you saying I should put further restrictions or something similar on the class? If so, any suggestions?

c) "Earth: The Geomaster gains the ability to transmute a metal into any other type of non-man-made metal, at the cost of one arcane spell slot."
Helloooo, broken. Wording needs a major overhaul. As yet, there is no limit on the volume of metal you can transform, the gp value of the metal you can transform into, the number of times per day you can do it, nor does it explicitly say you permanently lose a spell slot, nor the level of the slot you must sacrifice. Technically, I can take one single level of your class and then get unlimited money : change copper coin in platinum, get 100 copper coins, rinse, repeat. Billionaire in a day, at no cost at all.

The wording is a bit off, but I thought it pretty clearly meant you had to use one arcane slot per use (same as casting a spell would). Honestly, Id just prefer a different ability for earth altogether, as the ONLY use for this would be to make yourself rich, but I couldnt think of anything really much better. Im open to any suggestions here.

If I do keep it, a limit would be in order, probably something like taking 3rd level spell slots, and make it a maximum of 5ftcubed/caster level. I cant think of any way to reasonably stop you from changing that much say, copper to platinum, unless putting on an arbitrary GP limit.

d) "Water: The Geomaster can walk on water at will, and Polar Ray 3 times a day as per a spell-like ability."
An 8th level spell as a spell-like ability 3/day ? Let's take a look at how soon you can get in this class : Wizard 5/ Eldritch Knight 3, using the Militia feat from PGtF. That qualifies you for the class, and you can take your first level in Geomaster - and therefore your First Element, choosing Water - at character level 9. So let me reformulate my question : An 8th level spell as a spell-like ability 3/day AT LEVEL 9 ?? No way.

Well, I just looked up Polar Ray, and I can kind of see the reasoning Luke had in saying it. It's not insanely overpowered. While it is level 8, it's a short range spell with damage equal to Fireball, without an area of effect. The difference is there's no saving throw. Maybe add on a saving throw and cut it down to once or twice a day (or once a day for every 3 levels in the class)?

In short, your class is broken beyond belief :). You'll need to tweak it a little.

I hope then you'll comment on the tweaks I suggest here.

And btw, your GM was probably referring to either Geomancer in Complete Divine, or Geometer in Complete Arcane.

Edit : from your last post, it was actually probably Elemental Savant.

But didnt you say earlier Elemental Savant is only a single Element? Ill have to look it up again, but Im fairly sure that was the case. Unless he made something up and mistook it as something that was in the book (He's done that once or twice, but usually has a good memory). I don't know what to think, and I dont get to talk to him again for another week, so, eh. I'll find out then.

As for all the crittiques, thank you all. This is why I knew to come here, you people know more about this game than is healthy, and I love you all for it =P

ILM
2005-08-26, 07:27 PM
I used the different Reflex progression because I couldnt find anything median. I found one that ended with 7, and one that ended with 3, I wanted to end with 5, and couldn't find anything like that with a cursory flipping through my books, so I made one up. Basically I just wanted something intermediate.
So why would a spellcaster get a "medium" reflex save ? I could see the Wind element giving a +2 to reflex saves when you grab it since it fits thematically and wouldn't be all that powerful.

This is true. For one, I was unaware of the Elemental Savant's similar ability. Even such, it is a bonus of 1, the same as specializing in a school of magic, which was the idea behind it. You can't really give a 1/2 bonus to make it more fair to the savant. I could perhaps bump this ability up a few levels so it isn't such an easy pick for Blaster Wizards (say put it on an uneventful level like 4 or 7)
You don't get a DC increase when specializing, read the rules again. In 3.5e, it's insanely difficult to up the DC of your spells by any significant amount besides increasing your key stat. They nerfed the Elemental Savant, the Practiced Spellcaster feat, etc etc. All you have left are the Spell Focus feats and a few abilities here and there. So yeah, move it up to 7 and it'll do.

Are you saying I should put further restrictions or something similar on the class? If so, any suggestions?
No, just making a general comment.

The wording is a bit off, but I thought it pretty clearly meant you had to use one arcane slot per use (same as casting a spell would). Honestly, Id just prefer a different ability for earth altogether, as the ONLY use for this would be to make yourself rich, but I couldnt think of anything really much better. Im open to any suggestions here.
How about getting tremorsense 30 ft, or maybe Flesh to Stone or Stone to Flesh or Stone to Mud or Mud to Stone once per day (i.e. once per day you can cast one of those four spells) ? I'd scrap the whole transmute thing, it's much too abuseable however you word it.

Well, I just looked up Polar Ray, and I can kind of see the reasoning Luke had in saying it. It's not insanely overpowered. While it is level 8, it's a short range spell with damage equal to Fireball, without an area of effect. The difference is there's no saving throw. Maybe add on a saving throw and cut it down to once or twice a day (or once a day for every 3 levels in the class)?
Yeah, like firebal except it caps at 25d6 and gets no save... How about changing it to Cone of Cold ? 3/day might be a bit much, 1 or 2 would be better IMO.

In general, as you'll notice by browsing through Complete Arcane, WotC looks like it's phasing out slowly of full caster progression PrCs (ie calsses which give +1 spellcaster level per class level for all levels). This means that they're going to become increasingly powerful. Seeing as, for a primary spellcaster, losing spellcaster levels is a cardinal crime, this makes your class powerful right there (consider this : getting full caster progression means that a Wizard loses just about nothing by taking it, and gains all sorts of nifty abilities - such as they may be).

Seerow
2005-08-26, 07:58 PM
So why would a spellcaster get a "medium" reflex save ? I could see the Wind element giving a +2 to reflex saves when you grab it since it fits thematically and wouldn't be all that powerful.

I guess that works. I just wanted something a bit more than +7/+3/+3, and didn't want to unbalance it by having +7/+7/+3 or something like that.

Also, I know I sound hypocritical by saying I want balance then posting something this unbalanced, but really, most of this stuff was things my DM put in, which is a big part of why I wanted to post here for any better suggestions.

You don't get a DC increase when specializing, read the rules again. In 3.5e, it's insanely difficult to up the DC of your spells by any significant amount besides increasing your key stat. They nerfed the Elemental Savant, the Practiced Spellcaster feat, etc etc. All you have left are the Spell Focus feats and a few abilities here and there. So yeah, move it up to 7 and it'll do.

Ah, again, I really don't pay enough attention to things like this. Well, would it be better to have just the Level increase without the DC increase at level 4, or give both at level 7?

How about getting tremorsense 30 ft, or maybe Flesh to Stone or Stone to Flesh or Stone to Mud or Mud to Stone once per day (i.e. once per day you can cast one of those four spells) ? I'd scrap the whole transmute thing, it's much too abuseable however you word it.
Probably right. My innitial idea was something similar to a Terraforming ability (Being able to move/shape large ammounts of earth based upon casting level), just to have something a little more original. The Flesh/Stone/Mud is a reasonable idea though.

Yeah, like firebal except it caps at 25d6 and gets no save... How about changing it to Cone of Cold ? 3/day might be a bit much, 1 or 2 would be better IMO.

By the time that 25d6 comes into play it doesnt really matter that you had it at level 9. At level 9 it's pretty much just a free fireball that hits one person. Though that extra damage could be a big deal from levels 11-17. But during those levels Cone of Cold gives you the same thing (well, then you have the problem of extra damage from level 16-17). But I guess Cone of Cold is more reasonable. I still think 1/3 levels is good(and could possibly be the norm for this class), so early on you only get one, but if you stay in til the end you get 3.

In general, as you'll notice by browsing through Complete Arcane, WotC looks like it's phasing out slowly of full caster progression PrCs (ie calsses which give +1 spellcaster level per class level for all levels). This means that they're going to become increasingly powerful. Seeing as, for a primary spellcaster, losing spellcaster levels is a cardinal crime, this makes your class powerful right there (consider this : getting full caster progression means that a Wizard loses just about nothing by taking it, and gains all sorts of nifty abilities - such as they may be).

So would you say 2/3 levels would be a better idea for progresion?

As I said in my first post, my innitial vision was something semi physical (at least as far as the Elemental Weapon goes), so I actually considered using the lower progression at first, just didn't see much of a reason to, again because I don't pay attention to things like this.

Again, thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

ILM
2005-08-26, 08:27 PM
Ah, again, I really don't pay enough attention to things like this. Well, would it be better to have just the Level increase without the DC increase at level 4, or give both at level 7?
Meh, I guess you can give both at 7. In fact, I'd put it at 6th - kind of a halfway-through bonus, if you know what I mean.

By the time that 25d6 comes into play it doesnt really matter that you had it at level 9. At level 9 it's pretty much just a free fireball that hits one person. Though that extra damage could be a big deal from levels 11-17. But during those levels Cone of Cold gives you the same thing (well, then you have the problem of extra damage from level 16-17). But I guess Cone of Cold is more reasonable. I still think 1/3 levels is good(and could possibly be the norm for this class), so early on you only get one, but if you stay in til the end you get 3.
Yeah, 1/3 levels would be good.

You raise an important point with the 25d6 thing : what will the caster level be for the spell-like abilities ? Will you use a fixed CL (like, say, 15) or one that scales with the class (like 10+class level, for instance) ?

So would you say 2/3 levels would be a better idea for progresion?
Nah, that'd cripple the class. With the abilities as they are at the moment I wouldn't go under 9/10, losing the first level.

As I said in my first post, my innitial vision was something semi physical (at least as far as the Elemental Weapon goes), so I actually considered using the lower progression at first, just didn't see much of a reason to, again because I don't pay attention to things like this.
Yeah, well you can probably make a decent gish with that class. By concentrating in early levels to increase your martial proficiency and your ability to cast in armor, it should work. Something like Ftr2/Wiz4/Spellsword1/EK3/Geomaster10 gets +15 BAB and 9th level spells (8th if you decrease his caster progression to 9/10). Not uber, but still OK if that's the way you want to play it.

Seerow
2005-08-26, 08:50 PM
Meh, I guess you can give both at 7. In fact, I'd put it at 6th - kind of a halfway-through bonus, if you know what I mean.

Actually, I just remembered that I offset the levels so the 3rd Element came at 7 anyway, and my point was to put it on a level where it wasnt getting anything else, so 6th level works perfectly.

You raise an important point with the 25d6 thing : what will the caster level be for the spell-like abilities ? Will you use a fixed CL (like, say, 15) or one that scales with the class (like 10+class level, for instance) ?

As you may have gathered from my last post, I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that spell-like abilities worked as normal spells, but without the costs and spellslots. So I was assuming it used the character's caster level. Using 10+Class Level actually works well though, I think.

Nah, that'd cripple the class. With the abilities as they are at the moment I wouldn't go under 9/10, losing the first level.

Well, if Im doing that... I dont know, I think Id rather keep the full progression, just for the possibility of a single 9th level at level 20 using the progression you demonstrated below.

Im unsure on that though, I may or may not take out the full progression, that'll be a decision for later I guess.

ILM
2005-08-26, 08:58 PM
Yeah, you can probably leave the 10/10 progression, it shouldn't be overpowered. A Ftr1/Wiz9/EK10 gets more BAB and caster levels than what your class can achieve (albeit with less goodies).

Seerow
2005-08-27, 02:50 PM
I showed this to the GM, and apparently he misspoke because he was rushed at the time.

-Quantity changed is 1 cubic foot per class level.
-The spell specialization was supposed to come at 10th level (Wow, I really misinterpreted that one, eh?)
-Polar Ray should have been ice storm. (Im not sure how he got those mixed up either...)

ILM
2005-08-27, 05:42 PM
-Quantity changed is 1 cubic foot per class level.
So essentially, he doesn't care if you blow his world's economy out of the water. Yay. Have fun turning shreds of copper in solid adamantium and bask in your humongous return on investment ; enjoy being able to turn anyone's weapon or armor in any metal in existence (goodbye damage resistance, we didn't like you anyway !).

Short list of metals :
Adamantium : expensive, ultra-solid
Aurorum : makes item immune to sundering as it reforms a round after
Thinaun : traps the soul of those it kills
Pandemonic silver : creates a fear effect depending on strength of winds (combine with Control Winds for maximum effect)
Mithral : makes armors a whole lot better
Solarian True Steel : +1 to confirm criticals

It'd be overpowered just for that, but with the wording as vague as it is (nobody, for example, mentioned whether it had a limited duration...) it's a gamebreaker. Period. You give me that kind of ability and I'll snap your game in two and dance on its remains.

Edit : his other changes are OK

Seerow
2005-08-27, 05:58 PM
Are those actually all naturally occuring metals? Ive only heard of about 3 or 4 of those, and most of them sound like highly magical substances, where he specified non-manmade, which I assume to mean something that can be naturally occuring.

However, based on what you said, I might just take Earth as my first leven and have fun with my weapons....

ILM
2005-08-27, 06:13 PM
Honestly, I don't know about all of them. I wrote that from memory. I do know that Adamantium is natural, so that's more than enough to get rich like hell in a week and buy any magic item ever created on your planet. As for the others, my guess is that most descriptions don't specify whether it's naturally occurring or not.

Edit : checked Complete Warrior : Pandemonic silver is natural, Thinaun isn't.

Seerow
2005-08-27, 06:18 PM
Well lets see...

Aurorum, a reforming metal, sounds like it's magical...

Thinan is almost certainly not natural (at least the effect gained from it...).

Pandemonic Silver, Im not sure. But it definitely sounds like it'd be fun for my Geo to have a sword made out of that when he's using wind...

Mithral Im 99% sure is natural, and that alone is enough to make armor good (but would a 1 foot cube affect a good portion of the armor? Well... I guess I could just put all my spell slots into a single piece of equipment if it's too big...)

Solitarian True Steel sounds like something that's been worked by somebody.

Edit: Figures you edit while Im posting >_>

ILM
2005-08-27, 06:39 PM
Ok, I checked some of them :
Natural :
Adamantine
Mithral
Cold Iron
Aurorum (BoED)
Solarian Truesteel (turns out I was wrong) (BoED)
Ysgardian Heartwire (BoED)
Starmetal (CA)
Byeshk (Eberron)
Flametouched Iron (Eberron)
Targath (Eberron)
Pandemonic Silver (CW)

Not Natural :
Alchemical silver
Thinaun (CW)

In conclusion : brokety-broke.

Edit :
but would a 1 foot cube affect a good portion of the armor? Well... I guess I could just put all my spell slots into a single piece of equipment if it's too big...)
1 ft cube per CL means that you'll get 9 one cubic foot cubes to work with by the time you get to the class. Per slot. Since your DM didn't specify what level the slots you sacrificed had to be, nor the number of times you could do it per day, you could burn all your level 0 spells on that. You'd have 4*9=36 (more if you're a sorc) cubes. Do that with level 1 spells and you've got even more than that. And heck, if you need to, burn ALL your spell slots and then just rest and learn your spells again.

Did I mention I thought that ability was stupid broken ?

Seerow
2005-08-27, 06:40 PM
What book is EB? I can't think of what that would be right now o.0

Sophistemon
2005-08-27, 06:44 PM
Erased because it was irrelevant.

Seerow
2005-08-27, 07:00 PM
I just looked through it, and it looks like what you were trying to accomplish there is what a character could do by infusing nature into themselves, while what I was looking for was something that shows what the character could gain by manipulating the elements around them, and while you gain some of the effects in yourself as such (Like learning to manipulate Fire gives the ability to live on the Plane of fire), it really is a quite different concept.

Edit: As for there already being a Geomaster.... oops. *goes and looks it up*

There's a GeoMANCER there, and it is in fact very similar to your drifter. But there's nothing there about manipulating the Elements, it just gains bonuses when standing on certain terrain.

Sophistemon
2005-08-27, 07:04 PM
Sorry for wasting your time. If you want a class that allows someone to manipulate nature, maybe you could take some class abilities from the Wu Jen.

Seerow
2005-08-27, 07:06 PM
Viewing other people's ideas is never a waste of time, there is no need to be sorry.

If I said it was a waste of time, what kind of hypocrite would I be posting this stuff?

As for Wu Jen I keep hearing it mentioned, so I guess I will stop being lazy and look for it.

Pedantic
2005-08-27, 07:16 PM
Actually the Wu Jen is a sort of oriental variant wizards with some very slight elemntal ties. Much closer is the Shujenga, an oriental flavor caster who devotes themself to one element.

Seerow
2005-08-27, 07:21 PM
Well that's just it, isnt it? Ive wanted something with all elements, yet everything I see is a single element.

And I can't seem to find Wu Jen or Shujenga, and as you just mentioned they're both oriental, Im going to assume they're both in a book for Oriental setting campains that I don't have....

Gralamin
2005-08-27, 08:22 PM
I wish I could use your Class man, really.

And for the record here is my list of naturally occurring (yay peroidic table!) metals and metaloids:

Scandium(solid) Titanium(solid) Vanadium(solid) Chromium(solid) Manganese(solid) Iron(solid) Cobalt(solid) Nickel(solid) Copper(solid) Zinc(solid) Yttrium(solid) Zirconium(solid) Niobium(solid) Molybdenum(solid) Ruthenium(solid) Rhodium(solid) Palladium(solid) Silver(solid) Cadmium(solid) Hafnium(solid) Tantalum(solid) Tungsten(solid) Rhenium(solid) Osmium(solid) Iridium(solid) Platinum(solid) Gold(solid) Mercury(Liquid) Aluminum(solid) Gallium(solid) Indium(solid) Tin(solid) Thallium(solid) Lead(solid) Bismuth(solid) Boron(solid) Silicon(solid) Germanium(solid) Arsenic(solid) Antimony(solid) Tellurium(solid) Polonium(solid)

Whats better than turning your enemies weapons into liquid mercury? or how about making your weapon titanium?

AS you can seee you forgot to mention Target restrictions :P

Seerow
2005-08-27, 08:24 PM
Well, the original intention was one that you touch. I have that in my notes, but for some reason it didnt get transcribed here.

If you want to try to grab your enemies weapon in the middle of the fight and turn it into Mercury, by all means do so.

Gralamin
2005-08-27, 08:30 PM
ahhh now that makes sense.... however how would you rule graping the sword? grapple check? for this you said touch though so it would be a melee touch attack on the sword.

Seerow
2005-08-27, 08:36 PM
Yes, and if I were DMing a person trying to do this Id rule they get their hand chopped off if they fail. If they succeed they then still have to make a reflex saving throw or suffer a similar problem, both of these prior to your effect going off.

I can see Luke doing something like that as well.

So yeah, definitely not something fun to do in the middle of battle. Though it WOULD be fun to flank somebody and do that against their armor....

Edit: Do you think maybe I should change the name to Elementalist, just so people stop confusing what it is I want? After reading up on the actual Geomancer class, I see why it's so easy to get confused but... *shrugs*