PDA

View Full Version : Looking to augment casting

Korivan
2009-07-19, 12:33 PM
I'm wondering if there is a feat, spell, item, PrC that allows you to sacrifice spell levels or slots to apply metamagic feats. The Ultimate Magus can but its pretty limited. Can only do it a limited number of times to a limited number of spell levels (5 max) and can only do it once per spell. I'm looking to improve it by sacrificing other aspects of the UM class, make a homebrew feat like arcane strike (though I could use some help making some requirements on it.) Does anybody have any ideas? Any other classes that can do this better. Pre-epic is a must.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-19, 01:17 PM
The closest thing I can think of is the Anima Mage giving up vestige abilities to power metamagic, but that's about as limited as the Ultimate Magus. You might want to check out metamagic rods if all you're looking for is the free metamagic aspect.

Dragonmuncher
2009-07-19, 02:37 PM
Hm... isn't there a feat or ability that allows you to use lower level slots to power higher ones? Something like using two third level spells to cast a 4th level? You could use something like that.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-19, 03:32 PM
Hm... isn't there a feat or ability that allows you to use lower level slots to power higher ones? Something like using two third level spells to cast a 4th level? You could use something like that.

Versatile Spellcaster, Races of the Dragon. Problem is, only spontaneous casters can take it, and since you can't "chain" it--trade 4 3rd-levels for 2 4th-levels for 1 5th-level, for instance--the trade isn't good for metamagic (i.e., 2 fireballs may be worth 1 phantasmal killer, but they definitely aren't worth a silenced fireball).

Moriato
2009-07-19, 04:50 PM
Versatile Spellcaster, Races of the Dragon. Problem is, only spontaneous casters can take it, and since you can't "chain" it--trade 4 3rd-levels for 2 4th-levels for 1 5th-level, for instance--the trade isn't good for metamagic (i.e., 2 fireballs may be worth 1 phantasmal killer, but they definitely aren't worth a silenced fireball).

I think that would depend on the situation. A stilled Freedom of Movement might just save your life.

Korivan
2009-07-19, 05:15 PM
Since this is the third time trying to type this, i'll make this quick (having problems with internet)

<name>
Pre: Knowledge Arcane 15? ranks, Spellcraft 15? ranks, must be able to cast prepared arcane spells, must be able to spontaniously cast arcane spells,
Ben: When you cast a spell, you may sacrifice another spell to power the cast spell with a metamagic feat you know. The spell sacrificed must be of equal level to the metamagic you wish to apply. i.e. to use Quicken spell, you must sacrifice a 4th level spell.

Metamagic rods are out of the question, the dm doesnt allow for magic items of anytype. The current campaign doesnt even have clerics or healing spells allowed.

DragoonWraith
2009-07-19, 05:23 PM
I don't think a DM should go for that. A 4th level spell to cast a Quickened Gate? Uhh... Yes, please? That's kind of obvious. Maybe if you had to drop double the adjustment? No free Persist, Quicken costs a 8th level spell (!)... that's a bit more reasonable. That, or make it scale based on the level it would have been, perhaps, though I'm not sure how to handle that terribly well.

Also, another extant way to do this is Cerebremetamagic, which lets you spend Power Points to power Metamagic, but again does not let you do things that would have been a 10th or higher level spell.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-19, 05:41 PM
Also, another extant way to do this is Cerebremetamagic, which lets you spend Power Points to power Metamagic, but again does not let you do things that would have been a 10th or higher level spell.

Good point--Dragon might have some more abilities along those lines, so if you have access to any issues you should take a look there.