PDA

View Full Version : good way to spend 10,000 gold for a paladin of freedom?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:06 PM
no magic weapons. only masterwork and no magic armor of any type. although I will be getting a magic sword at the end of the current dungeon.

Mongoose87
2009-07-19, 07:08 PM
Lots of diamond jewelry?

quick_comment
2009-07-19, 07:08 PM
10000 gold on only masterwork weapons? Adamantine plate mail is the only item I think that comes close.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:09 PM
oh sorry. I meant I only HAVE masterwork weapons and items.

InkEyes
2009-07-19, 07:12 PM
Some full plate barding for your special mount? Full plate for yourself made out of some special material like mithral or adamantine? Are other types of magic items buyable?

Mongoose87
2009-07-19, 07:17 PM
oh sorry. I meant I only HAVE masterwork weapons and items.
So, you can buy magical items?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:17 PM
not quite sure yet. I should also mention that I'm level 3 so no mount yet.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-19, 07:18 PM
not quite sure yet. I should also mention that I'm level 3 so no mount yet.

You have 10,000 GP at level 3?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:18 PM
So, you can buy magical items?

if somebody is selling them. and if not bribing always works:smallamused: okay not ALWAYS but usually.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-19, 07:20 PM
Keep it as cash and throw it around to gain social clout. It's going to be by far the most effective thing your character can do in a game where you're starting at 10,000gp that you can't spend on magic items.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:22 PM
You have 10,000 GP at level 3?

actually once I sell the items I won't use and if I add the amount I'm NOT willing to spend because my allies are going to need some it's more about 28,700. 14,000 of which I'm setting aside for my allies. so really it's about 14,700:smallbiggrin:

and I CAN buy magic items. only of course if people are selling them.

Mongoose87
2009-07-19, 07:25 PM
If you can't find a few magic items with 14 000 gp to throw around, there's none in your whole world.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:28 PM
If you can't find a few magic items with 14 000 gp to throw around, there's none in your whole world.

ROTFLOL

yeah I think you're right about that. can we get back on the topic of good items that most campaigns would have though?

Mr.Moron
2009-07-19, 07:29 PM
ROTFLOL

yeah I think you're right about that.

If this is true all the more reason to start leveraging your money into social power. Without any items being mechanically effective in any capacity is beyond out of the question.

dragoonsgone
2009-07-19, 07:31 PM
10 times as much as you should according to WBL. Fun.

You could get a +2 weapon, +2 Armor, +2 Stat item and amulet of natural armor for 14G

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:33 PM
10 times as much as you should according to WBL. Fun.

You could get a +2 weapon, +2 Armor, +2 Stat item and amulet of natural armor for 14G

I'm probably going to get the +2 weapon and +2 stat item out of those. how much would the +2 armor be to add and would it cost a lot more if it was made of Mithril?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:35 PM
If this is true all the more reason to start leveraging your money into social power. Without any items being mechanically effective in any capacity is beyond out of the question.

what's so useful about social power exactly:smallconfused:

dragoonsgone
2009-07-19, 07:37 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral

9,000 G for heavy armor base so a plus 2 would be 13,000 + base cost of armor.

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 07:39 PM
Ok 14k hm and magic sword already covered. Gauntlets of ogre power (4k), +2 armor (4k), +1 ring of protection (2k), amulet of natural armor (2k). Up to 11k so far for +1 to hit & damage & +4 AC. 2k left. That's 2 more AC than mithral for only 8k btw, & no need for a high dex. Seeing how generous your DM is I bet that magic sword isn't just a +1, so you probably can't afford to upgrade it (even if you reduced the other stuff). Eh, spend the 2k on a handy haversack or misc essentials or potions or something. Or depending on your HP you might want an amulet of health instead of natural armor for 2k more.

Besides healing potions, some potions to consider are hide from undead, jump, pass without trace, invisibility, darkvision, resist energy (pick a type), spiderclimb, delay poision, lesser restoration or remove paralysis. Most of those are highly situational and depend on what you're expecting.; I'd say invisibility, delay poison, lesser restoration and remove paralysis are your safest bets. Plus the first 3, while so-so, are also reasonable options b/c they're cheap level 1 potions.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:43 PM
so an item that would increase one of my stats by two would be 4,000 in the cases of gloves of dexterity?

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 07:45 PM
Ok 14k hm and magic sword already covered. Gauntlets of ogre power (4k), +2 armor (4k), +1 ring of protection (2k), amulet of natural armor (2k). Up to 11k so far for +1 to hit & damage & +4 AC. 2k left. That's 2 more AC than mithral for only 8k btw, & no need for a high dex. Seeing how generous your DM is I bet that magic sword isn't just a +1, so you probably can't afford to upgrade it (even if you reduced the other stuff). Eh, spend the 2k on a handy haversack or misc essentials or potions or something. Or depending on your HP you might want an amulet of health instead of natural armor for 2k more.

Besides healing potions, some potions to consider are hide from undead, jump, pass without trace, invisibility, darkvision, resist energy (pick a type), spiderclimb, delay poision, lesser restoration or remove paralysis. Most of those are highly situational and depend on what you're expecting.; I'd say invisibility, delay poison, lesser restoration and remove paralysis are your safest bets. Plus the first 3, while so-so, are also reasonable options b/c they're cheap level 1 potions.

is the bonus to AC really worth that much?

and I don't know that my DM will be as generous with the magic item as he was with the gold.

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 07:49 PM
Since you already got a weapon coming soon, the only offensive thing I could think of was the gauntlets of ogre strength. And ya a +2 attribute item is (2 x 2) x 1000gp = 4000gp.

The +4 AC is only 8k, which is cheaper than mithral full plate and gives twice as much AC. Consider that to be the same as a -4 to enemy attacks against you. So if a CR 5 troll (+9 AB) used to need an 10 to hit 19 AC (55%), now they need a 14 to hit (35%). So now you're taking 1/3 less physical damage. I'd say that's fairly huge. Or +3 AC and +2 con is the other option I mentioned.

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-19, 07:55 PM
Since your Paladin I can only assume your party MeatSheild

As such
Belt of Healing - MIC
Armor Gem that grants DR 5/- (Up to 50 / Day)
Armor Gem that Deflects 1st Range Attack vs. you 1 / Round AND +5 AC vs. Ranged (Personal Favorite)

I can only advise you buff up your armor if your not gonna get them later on, plus the Gems transfer well, as you can plug them in and out as I understand so when you do get enough $ for some Admantite Full Plate.

As for some Masterwork gear, If and when you decide to get a mount, when not wielding that "Magic Sword" a Lance is never a bad choice.

Dont forget, If the party doesn't have a Wand of CLW and some Potions of CSW / CCW then that would also be a wise investment.

If there is no one with trained heal, Blessed Bandages - MIC are 10g but Automatically stabilize any dieing character.
(Saved our group many a time)

Jergmo
2009-07-19, 07:57 PM
25,000 gallons of ale and 500 extraordinary prostitutes.

kpenguin
2009-07-19, 07:58 PM

/facepalm

Every that has ever been accomplished has been done, helped along, or would have been greatly improved with social power.

Mongoose87

Now, that's freedom.

WeeFreeMen

Second! Haha, can never go wrong w. prostitutes ;)
Although it might be painful to watch your alignment slip away ;)

but the Ale will help the pain go away

Jergmo
2009-07-19, 08:00 PM

Well, the ale and prostitutes are to entice all the able-bodied men into a revolution against the Lawful Evil government, of course. :smallwink:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 08:01 PM
Well, the ale and prostitutes are to entice all the able-bodied men into a revolution against the Lawful Evil government, of course. :smallwink:

I think that counts as an evil act still. especially for reasons that are not allowed to be discussed on this forum.

Jergmo
2009-07-19, 08:07 PM
I think that counts as an evil act still. especially for reasons that are not allowed to be discussed on this forum.

Bah. Then...hiring a level NPC with 20 class levels for 32 years of service, if you can get away with it. :smallamused: An NPC with class levels charges 30 gp per class level per week of service according to Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 08:09 PM
Bah. Then...hiring a level NPC with 20 class levels for 32 years of service, if you can get away with it. :smallamused: An NPC with class levels charges 30 gp per class level per week of service according to Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.

A. I wouldn't be able to get away with it and B. the game would get boring awful quick

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 08:09 PM
/facepalm

Every that has ever been accomplished has been done, helped along, or would have been greatly improved with social power.

In real life anyway. How well that translates to his DM's gaming world I dunno. Not that I'm disagreeing; that sounds like a cool campaign if you can get it.

Zergrusheddie
2009-07-19, 08:23 PM

Beer and Prostitutes: nothing gets the Revolution started faster.

Eldariel
2009-07-19, 08:24 PM
Since your Paladin I can only assume your party MeatSheild

As such
Belt of Healing - MIC
Armor Gem that grants DR 5/- (Up to 50 / Day)
Armor Gem that Deflects 1st Range Attack vs. you 1 / Round AND +5 AC vs. Ranged (Personal Favorite)

I can only advise you buff up your armor if your not gonna get them later on, plus the Gems transfer well, as you can plug them in and out as I understand so when you do get enough $ for some Admantite Full Plate.

As for some Masterwork gear, If and when you decide to get a mount, when not wielding that "Magic Sword" a Lance is never a bad choice.

Dont forget, If the party doesn't have a Wand of CLW and some Potions of CSW / CCW then that would also be a wise investment.

If there is no one with trained heal, Blessed Bandages - MIC are 10g but Automatically stabilize any dieing character.
(Saved our group many a time)

This. Also, Wands in general are pretty good as long as you pick out some decent ones on the Pally-list. If you also want something more, +2 stat-items will never be obsolete; +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex and +2 Cha can all be decent depending on your stats (whether your armor can support the Dex-bonus)

Eventually you'll want Mithril Full-Plate with 16 Dex, but that's much later - don't get enhancements to your armor until you get the final armor you're going to wear as selling an enhanced armor is going to make dent to your wallet. +1 Weapon isn't worth it due to Mw. weapon hitting the same and dealing only 1 less damage. Once you can afford other enhancements, get enhanced weapons, but 1 point of damage isn't worth 2000gp. So yeah, work on wondrous items and Rings mostly, with maybe a Wand or two if you can. And yah, Bardings for the mount ASAP.

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 09:17 PM
Mithril armor is crazy expensive. By the time he gets it selling a +2 and losing 2k won't be so bad. In fact, for the measly +2 AC it gives while requiring an item for dex as well, mithril is a very late game armor. In the meantime armor enhancements are cheap and it would be asking for pain to skip them.

Can't believe I forgot the wands. Ya, paladins can use wands of any level regardless of their current level, even before level 4. A wand of cure light wounds might be nice.

Eldariel
2009-07-19, 09:25 PM
Mithril armor is crazy expensive. By the time he gets it selling a +2 and losing 2k won't be so bad. In fact, for the measly +2 AC it gives while requiring an item for dex as well, mithril is a very late game armor. In the meantime armor enhancements are cheap and it would be asking for pain to skip them.

Only if Magic Vestment isn't available. Otherwise they'll be obsolete in a couple of levels making for a very short term investment.

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 09:59 PM
Magic vestment progresses very slow - you don't even get the full bonus until level friggin' 20. It requires a friendly caster and requires what is now out of reach and even later will be a high level spell slot. Considering how cheap armor enhancements are it's better to just buy the enhancement and get a higher bonus. At least for now. +2 won't even be available until level 8. And he's level 3! By level 8 he'll want quite a bit more. And the spell slot will be kinda high and the party cleric (if there is any) might want to use it for another spell.

Greater magic weapon OTOH is another story. It may still be a slow progression, but you can put different enchantments - perhaps worth even more than a +1 - on the weapon instead of enhancement bonuses and thus benefit from both spell and permanent enchantments with no drawback.

Eldariel
2009-07-19, 10:09 PM
Magic vestment progresses very slow - you don't even get the full bonus until level friggin' 20. It requires a friendly caster and requires what is now out of reach and even later will be a high level spell slot. Considering how cheap armor enhancements are it's better to just buy the enhancement and get a higher bonus. At least for now. +2 won't even be available until level 8. And he's level 3! By level 8 he'll want quite a bit more.

Depends on how you invest your money (I'd prioritise some form of flight, Boots of Speed and some form of Teleportation over straight number buffs any day; Winged Vest, Boots of Big Stepping and Boots of Speed (latter combined or reslotted), for example). If he wants to go for high numeric AC buffs, +2 right now and +3 around 8 would be about right, but if he goes for the strategic versatilization, saving those few thousand by relying on Magic Vestment and getting that Pearl is gonna be better in the long run.

Anyways, Magic Vestment maxes out at level 15 as that's when the Cleric can afford Beads of Karma and Orange Prism Ioun Stone for +5 CL; not that slow. Around ~12, he should afford Beads of Karma for the +4 (and 16 hours so barring very high level dispelling, it should stay on). But true that if you want +2, it's of course better to get the armor enhancement.

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-19, 10:14 PM
Magic vestment progresses very slow - you don't even get the full bonus until level friggin' 20. It requires a friendly caster and requires what is now out of reach and even later will be a high level spell slot. Considering how cheap armor enhancements are it's better to just buy the enhancement and get a higher bonus. At least for now. +2 won't even be available until level 8. And he's level 3! By level 8 he'll want quite a bit more. And the spell slot will be kinda high and the party cleric (if there is any) might want to use it for another spell

Greater magic weapon OTOH is another story. It may still be a slow progression, but you can put different enchantments - perhaps worth even more than a +1 - on the weapon instead of enhancement bonuses and thus benefit from both spell and permanent enchantments with no drawback.

Why get Armor enchatment at all? He WILL eventually need to get a different type of Metal, which means a new suit all together so instead of losing 50% of what he spent (or only 35% if you can haggle) he should get Items that transfer in between the T1-T2 levels. Most full blown enchantment armor that is worth anything is +3 or higher, not to mention the fact that the exponential growth on the frickin thing is retarded. Lv4-lv11 he should just focus on the minimums for gear that cant translate, or hell be dumping 40+% his WBL into outdated gear.

/rant

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 10:17 PM
Depends on how you invest your money (I'd prioritise some form of flight, Boots of Speed and some form of Teleportation over straight number buffs any day; Winged Vest, Boots of Big Stepping and Boots of Speed (latter combined or reslotted), for example). If he wants to go for high numeric AC buffs, +2 right now and +3 around 8 would be about right, but if he goes for the strategic versatilization, saving those few thousand by relying on Magic Vestment and getting that Pearl is gonna be better in the long run.

Anyways, Magic Vestment maxes out at level 15 as that's when the Cleric can afford Beads of Karma and Orange Prism Ioun Stone for +5 CL; not that slow. Around ~12, he should afford Beads of Karma for the +4 (and 16 hours so barring very high level dispelling, it should stay on). But true that if you want +2, it's of course better to get the armor enhancement.

^ Bead of karma and ioun stone? Now that's 50k just so the cleric can buff people's AC. Even more expensive.

I mean, at least wait until there's a caster who even has magic vestment without blowing his best spell and the generous DM gives the pally a little more coin. Then he can stop upgrading his armor, say oh no I lost 2k (or maybe 4.5k) - which will be nothing by level 8 at this rate - and save for mithral at that point. In the mean time he still has to get a +2 ring of protection (8k), a +2 amulet of natural armor (8k) and a dusty rose prism ioun stone (5k), since all of those are still a better value than mithral. So, yeah, after 21k in the future purely from his AC budget then he can worry about mithral. Those don't affect his armor at all, so at the very least he'd buy those while wearing masterwork full plate before considering mithral. Though after 21k losing 2k so you can take 1/3 less damage at early levels isn't a big loss.

WeeFreeMen: Like I said already, getting another metal type on full plate is so ridiculously expensive for just +2 AC and an enhancement bonus is so ridiculously cheap that he'll be losing 50% of almost nothing by the time he can afford the nice metal. Or else he'll be playing dumb and he'll be way behind on AC when he blows all his money on mithral early on. At least put the money into non-armor AC then. Even at double price vs armor enhancements it's still more AC per gp than mithral.

But what I'd do is get a dirt cheap armor enhancement right away, like a +2, then stop there and focus on non-armor AC while you save for mithral. Then the cleric can magic vestment the mithral for the very short time until you can afford to get a real bonus... which is still much cheaper than paying 50k (~75k if forced to buy the whole strand like the listed magic item) so the cleric can buff stuff at CL 20 for 10 minutes in the morning

Eldariel
2009-07-19, 10:26 PM
^ Bead of karma and ioun stone? Now that's 50k just so the cleric can buff people's AC. Even more expensive.

Not just, it's standard gear for a Cleric by level 15. All buff-spells are cast at increased CL, and party can help buy the Beads of Karma 'cause they get just as much out of it. Ioun Stone, that's something every caster should always have and out of 200k, it's definitely already doable.

I mean, at least wait until there's a caster who even has magic vestment without blowing his best spell and the generous DM gives the pally a little more coin. Then he can stop upgrading his armor, say oh no I lost 2k (or maybe 4.5k) - which will be nothing by level 8 at this rate - and save for mithral at that point. In the mean time he still has to get a +2 ring of protection (8k), a +2 amulet of natural armor (8k) and a dusty rose prism ioun stone (5k), since all of those are still a better value than mithral. So, yeah, after 21k in the future purely from his AC budget then he can worry about mithral. Those don't affect his armor at all, so at the very least he'd buy those while wearing masterwork full plate before considering mithral. Though after 21k losing 2k so you can take 1/3 less damage at early levels isn't a big loss.

2k is +2, not 35%. You accounted for all the other items you suggested too in that calculation. +1 Amulet of Nat Armor, sure. +1 Ring of Deflection, sure. +2 Con/Dex/Str, sure. Comparably, the +1 Armor is probably worth it, but you'll have to ponder about the +2 a good while since you know the trade is coming. I'd at least be getting the Ioun Stone first since if caring about AC, you'll get one anyways, and with such accounting (save for getting insane amounts of loot a second time in near future), the +2 won't really be in the schedule before level ~6 which is just 2 levels off Magic Vestment for +2.

There may be a 1-point AC loss at some point, but meh, you can eat that up and blame me every time hits miss by 1 (statistically, assuming opponent neither autohits you or automisses you, it'll matter every ~20th hit - the relevant question is whether that happens to be a big or a small one). Since missing attacks don't deal partial damage nor do "hitting for more"-attacks deal extra damage, averaging to hit with damage gives disproportionate benefits for a single point of armor.

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 10:30 PM
Oh, that +2 only accounts for 1/2 of that 1/3 (which comes from +4 AC). i.e. makes you take 1/6 less damage. Point still stands. 2k will be cheap by the time he can afford mithral. i.e. after he gets 21k in other AC stuff, plus 14k for the mithral plus dex. Or if he needs +4 dex then it's 26k for mithral plus dex and he he'll want to spend a lot more than 21k on other better-value AC stuff before getting mithral. EDIT: It's 41k for the other AC stuff using +3 ring of protection & +3 amulet, plus the ioun stone. A +3 ring or amulet is 18k, vs 8k for a +2. That's 20k for 2 +1's, vs 26k for +2. And that's just out of his AC budget.

Quietus
2009-07-19, 10:38 PM

Buying prostitutes is neither Chaotic nor Evil. Nor Lawful or Good for that matter. It won't affect your alignment, and I'd even say that depending on your outlook, it might be better to throw down a few gold every now and then, than to marry a woman and leave her at home wondering if she'll ever see you again.

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 10:41 PM
Oh the questions of morality. Yeah, I'm not getting into this here. We're getting worked up enough over +1's. :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2009-07-19, 10:42 PM
Oh, that +2 only accounts for 1/2 of that 1/3 (which comes from +4 AC). i.e. makes you take 1/6 less damage. Point still stands. 2k will be cheap by the time he can afford mithral. i.e. after he gets 21k in other AC stuff, plus 14k for the mithral plus dex. Or if he needs +4 dex then it's 26k for mithral plus dex and he he'll want to spend a lot more than 21k on other better-value AC stuff before getting mithral.

We're talking about a +1 difference here, or spending 3.5k on getting 1 extra point of AC. Getting +1 seems perfectly ok given Mw. Full-Plate to work off, but I just can't sign the idea of getting +2 in the Full-Plate at this point due to effective 1.75k waste at the switch.

Depending on Dex, Mithril can or can not be worth it in near future (it's 4.5k per point of AC given Dex to match on Heavy (though with other obvious benefits); without Dex, it gets a lot more expensive though high Dex carries a plenthora of other benefits too from Initiative to Ride to ranged attacks to reflex saves so getting the Dex-boost items isn't just AC).

Unless he feels he needs all the help he can get RIGHT NOW, of course, in which case the +2 armor is a fine short term investment. :smallcool:

ericgrau
2009-07-19, 10:45 PM
Ah, ic where you're digging. Masterwork full plate doesn't give +1 AC. It's not like a masterwork weapon. So he at least needs to spend 1,000 gp to get a +1. +2 is 3,000gp more. So then we're talking 1500gp in the far future vs. taking 1/10ish less damage now. Remember that +1 isn't stopping 1 of 20 attacks, it's stopping 1 out of however many of the die rolls (between 1 and 20) normally hit.

I'd still say get the +2 - 1500gp still won't be much after he blows the other 68k on AC - but if you want to agree on magical +1 armor then I'll say sure... close enough.

Eldariel
2009-07-19, 10:51 PM
Ah, ic where you're digging. Masterwork full plate doesn't give +1 AC. It's not like a masterwork weapon. So he at least needs to spend 1,000 gp to get a +1. +2 is 3,000gp more. So then we're talking 1500gp in the far future vs. taking 1/10ish less damage now. Remember that +1 isn't stopping 1 of 20 attacks, it's stopping 1 out of however many (1 to 20) normally hit.

Yeah, Mw. doesn't improve AC, I remembered that but somehow thought +1 was only 500 :P (see, I was thinking how much money is wasted there) Ah well, it's still cheap enough to get. Well, the probability of each number on the d20 is 5% and there's always 1 number on the die that wouldn't hit with that +1 AC. The percentual chance to hit is a different matter, but as that's a function of so many other things too, not getting into that right here.

I'd still say get the +2, but if you want to agree on magical +1 armor then I'll say sure... close enough.

*shrug* I think it's the best investment for him right now; 1000 for +1 with 500 lost in the long run seems worth it while 3000 for +1 with 1500 lost (I've been sleeping 2-hour nights due to a tournament, give my math a break =_=) doesn't. Of course, the optimal choice depends on so many things outside his control and our knowledge that it's really hard to say; if he gets 20k over the next few levels and then has a monetary downtime, not saving with Mithril seems silly while if he doesn't get real money (and there's no Cleric) before level 10, not taking that +2 is gonna really feel dumb.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 11:41 PM
I don't THINK there's a cleric but two new people were supposedly joining. one of them may choose to be a cleric.

oh and what about putting keen on my greatsword or Falchion? both are masterwork already just in case that affects anything.

oh and just one question. how much does it usually cost to repair a masterwork greatsword?

Talic
2009-07-20, 12:32 AM

Simple. It's the thing least likely to be removed when the DM realizes he goofed by giving a level 3 character almost 30k gold. Building a network of friends and contacts is more subtle, and less likely to vanish to thieves.

Indon
2009-07-20, 07:12 AM
Ring of Feather Fall's 2K gold, and a must-have for any adventurer who expects to fall great distances with little to no warning or preparation*.

*-All of them.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-20, 11:47 AM
Ring of Feather Fall's 2K gold, and a must-have for any adventurer who expects to fall great distances with little to no warning or preparation*.

*-All of them.

this sounds like a good idea. I don't want to end up like Roy.:smalleek:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-20, 11:49 AM
Simple. It's the thing least likely to be removed when the DM realizes he goofed by giving a level 3 character almost 30k gold. Building a network of friends and contacts is more subtle, and less likely to vanish to thieves.

I honestly doubt he's going to take it away. I'm being nice and giving most of it to the other players anyway. I'm not really trying to break the game either. just trying to make my character stronger and political power is too boring and I doubt would help my character in any way.

now another question. can you put an enhancement on a sword such as starmetal and then turn it into a magic item?

Indon
2009-07-20, 12:32 PM
just trying to make my character stronger and political power is too boring and I doubt would help my character in any way.

As a Paladin, you could donate some to a church or other worthy cause - that's similar to political power in that it gets you connections/reputation and people like you, but it's a lot more Paladin-y.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-20, 02:57 PM
As a Paladin, you could donate some to a church or other worthy cause - that's similar to political power in that it gets you connections/reputation and people like you, but it's a lot more Paladin-y.

I'll consider this if my next god doesn't laugh in my face when I'm dying and tell my allies to let me die

Deepblue706
2009-07-20, 05:00 PM
For a level 3 Paladin, you will not find a +2 weapon a very good investment. It's just too much money, even if it'll be useful in combat. If you lose it, or it gets broken, you're screwed. If you come into a situation where it's not applicable, you're screwed. Don't bother with it just yet.

And, a +1 weapon is essentially pointless, unless you need to penetrate DR/Magic or have only a mediocre STR score. Oil of Magic Weapon will save you for when you come across this kind of Damage Reduction (50gp a use), or you can have your buddy Wizard remember to keep a single scroll of it scribed.

Masterwork Lance would be a good start. Masterwork Armor is worth getting, despite that you'll likely not need a reduced Armor-Check Penalty, as it's simply annoying to get new armor to get something Magical. So, I'd say Masterwork Full Plate.

That's about 2k right there.

A Handy Haversack is a great item to have. Essentially a Bag of Holding, but cheaper. Whatever you want is always on top, so it's just a move action to grab it. Good at low levels, for when you have lots of stuff you can't easily carry, and great at later levels, for things like quick jewelry swapping (you might normally wear an Amulet of +4 Natural Armor but a Cloudkill calls for a Necklace of Adaptation).

That's another 2k, putting you at 4k.

Potions are always great to have, but their use can be limited in instances where you'd be forced to drink them in a fight. Something to help your awareness would be good, such as the Eyes of the Eagle (2.5k, +5 spot), or you could simply buy a Dog (they have +5 in both Listen and Spot). The only problem is that a dog can be easily killed, and taking care of lots of them might get annoying. It's best if you can rely on a fellow party member for hints of a coming encounter, so only invest in this if nobody else has the skills already.

Good Potions to consider include Enlarge Person (250gp), Elixir of Sneaking (+10 to Move Silently for an hour) (250gp), Invisibility (300gp), and Shield of Faith +2 (50gp). Given that most games will require about 10 real encounters until your next level, and that you'll not be ready to drink down a potion for all of them, you shouldn't invest in more than four or five of any - otherwise, you'll eventually get more money and you'll find squandering resources on trivial bonuses will keep you from affording superior gear.

Assuming you only get three of each of the above, and purchase the Eyes of the Eagle, along with a Masterwork Lance and Full Plate set, and the Haversack you'll have spent about 9k.

Assuming your party can alert you of impending dangers, the Eyes will not be necessary and you can spend that money on a Warhorse and Barding; despite you eventually getting a mount as a class feature, Horses are just too good to wait for. Chain Shirt makes a good Barding, and if you get the Heavy Warhorse, this combo is just 800 gold. You can also put a +1 on your own Armor, and buy a back-up Masterwork weapon for when your Lance just isn't a solid decision (perhaps a Mighty Composite Bow would be a good thing to consider).

It's a good idea to bring along a mule for carrying swag. Also, Hirelings are great. You might get a Light weapon for when you're in a grapple (masterwork might be worth it) or you might get useful adventuring equipment (alchemist's fire, sun rods). At this level you'll likely benefit from a shield, so that and a One-Handed melee weapon might also serve you well.

h2doh
2009-07-20, 06:22 PM
This may help, I went through making a list for a lvl 8 char who makes all of his own equipment. This is approximately 16000gp worth of stuff. This should cover most of what gets thrown at you. Good luck.

HHH - 2000
universal solvent - 50
masterwork tools x 10 – 500
pearl power 1 – 1000
cloak resist 1 – 1000
pipe of sewers – 1150
bag of tricks, rust – 3000
hand of mage - 900
scroll jump x 2
scroll hide from animals
scroll hide from undead
scroll pass without trace
scroll protection evil
wand lesser vigor – 750
boots stomp – 600
wand enlarge – 750
healing belt – 750
shift weave – 500(5 suits of cloths)
bag of boulders – 1400
bag of endless caltrops – 800
blessed bandage x 5 – 50
eternal wand identify – 820
troll gut rope – 500(350ft rope, 2lb)
4 - bolas, 2 ball (5g) – touch to trip(dex or str vs your str check)
10 - thunder arrow(2g)
barbed wire, 50 ft(75)
twine, 50ft(1sp)
50 silver arrows(3g)
50 cold iron arrows(2g)
50 adamantium arrows(61g)
silver shot spear(21)
cold iron short spear(2)
short bow(30)
net (20) – touch entangle
scale mail(50)
heavy wooden shield(7)
5 – acid flask(10)
10 – oil(1sp)
4 – dust egg grenade(10)
long spoon masterwork thieves tools(150)
badge of valor(1000) +2 moral vs fear, +4 vs intimidate
griffin badge(400) – feather fall 1/day
2 acidic fire(30)
2 alchemist frost(25)
2 alchemist spark(25)
2 – alchemist fire(25)
2 – holy water(25)
all necessary equip

Mystic Muse
2009-07-20, 10:01 PM
thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm thinking of taking a few different ones. a few questions though.

could you forge starmetal into a magic weapon? (one that is already magic)

how much would an amulet/gloves/cloak/anything besides a weapon of counterspell cost and would it be worth it?

and how many times a day can you cast feather fall with a ring of feather fall?

h2doh
2009-07-21, 06:01 PM
thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm thinking of taking a few different ones. a few questions though.

could you forge starmetal into a magic weapon? (one that is already magic)

how much would an amulet/gloves/cloak/anything besides a weapon of counterspell cost and would it be worth it?

and how many times a day can you cast feather fall with a ring of feather fall?

the weapon has to be made of star metal before you enchant it. you can choose the metaline enchant though. it is a +2 and you can make your weapon any material. the ring of featherfall is unlimited times a day. i do not know if you can cast it on other targets or just yourself. for the different kind of weapon of counterspells i think that it is 1.5 times the price. i do know that there are bracers that have a speed weapon enchant on them but i do not know what the pricing would be.