PDA

View Full Version : so I'm thinking of designing a Prestige class.

Seraph
2005-08-22, 10:32 PM
so I got an Idea for A character Class, as well as a new item with them in mind.

problem is, I need reccomendations for class skills by level and saves, etc.

The Prestige Class is called "General".

the concept is a heavily armored Knight who can rally Troops (A la "Inspire Followers" ability) and be at the forefront of a huge battle. it's supposed to be able to take massive amounts of damage and dish it back out.

Required Weapon Proficiencies would be Greataxe, Greatsword, and Weapon Group(Polearms).

also, that Item I was talking About.

Specifically, it's armor, the kind that Tanks and Meatshields would be envious of:

Name: Massive Plate
type: Heavy
Armor Bonus: 12
Maximum dex bonus: -2
AC Penalty: -10
Arcane Spell Failure: 50%
Speed: 20/15
Weight: 80 lb.

jdrich
2005-08-22, 10:36 PM
You might want to look at the Marshall base class from the Miniatures Handbook. I think there are also some general-type classes in that book.

Take a look at Complete Warrior, as well.

Also, the prestige class called 'general' doesn't mean much. General McArther? General Grevious? General Sun Ce? General can mean quite a bit of things, perhaps you might want to specify.

When designing a PrC, it's best to pick a particular person, whether it be someone you know, a fantasy hero, or someone you'd like to be in a game. Design the PrC around that person, having that person effectively have full levels in the PrC.

Phasm
2005-08-23, 12:59 AM
Actually, I've been toying with a PrC as well. After fruitlessly hunting for one that suited my vision of an air-oriented spellcaster who can fly and use the elemental power of Air, I gave up and started tinkering.

Yes, I do have the FR Faiths & Pantheons, and I did take a good look at the Windwalker there. The problem with that PrC is the prerequisites. They're totally skewed toward druids and rangers, and I wanted to make this possible for a cleric to attain. When's the last time you heard of a cleric taking Move Silently, for crying out loud? I suppose you could, but it's cross-class and skill points are the cleric's one weakness. The only way I can see that working is for a multiclass rogue/cleric, monk/cleric, or ranger/cleric.

So if anyone can point me toward a previously published PrC that resembles what I described, I'd be much obliged :) Otherwise, I'll keep tinkering with my Skyrider in math class and post it sometime in the near future. (What? All they're doing so far in math is review. Gag me. :-X )

jdrich
2005-08-23, 01:03 AM
Why not use the air domain, and call it a day?

greyhoundpoe
2005-08-23, 02:55 AM
My first thought is prereq:non-Chaotic-- I keep having visions of the cubes of Acheron clashing in my head.

I would hesitate to make too many specific weapon proficiency requirements--maybe just have a list of large-battle weapons, and require proficiency in two or three of them.

Wally
2005-08-23, 05:42 AM
Double Plate: +12 AC / +0 Dex, -8 penalty, 3500gp, 50% spell failure, cuts your speed by half, 100lb. It's basically really really thick full plate. Requiring a Str16 to stand/walk in it.

Jonathan: Yeah I guess you could call the name of his PrC very ... general.

You could but I think it's vague.

jdrich
2005-08-23, 11:51 AM
"General General"

Prerequisites: Flurry of Blows, Inspire Courage, Able to cast 2nd level arcane spells, Able to cast 2nd level divine spells, Turn or Rebuke Undead, Woodland Stride, Smite Evil, Summon Familiar, Scribe Scroll, Favored Enemy, Sneak Attack +1d6, Rage.

/me shudders at the thought of what that character sheet might look like.