PDA

View Full Version : Mime (3.5e base class PEACH)

DanielLC
2009-07-19, 08:01 PM
Bards' magic stems from their performing ability. Some people are born mute and are forced to perform to say anything. It is only natural that some of them gain magical ability.

Two mimes fighting (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/175/Sound-Wars)

Hit Die: d10

Class Skills:
The mime's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Perform (Act) (Cha), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the mime.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A mime is proficient with all simple and mimed martial weapons and with all mimed armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Muteness:
Only a mute can become a mime. As such, he cannot speak through normal means. A mime may very well be deaf, but this is not a class feature. Treat it as a flaw and take an extra feat if the DM allows.

Languages:
A mime may substitute sign language for one of the bonus languages available to the character because of her race, as may any of his acquaintances.

In addition, a mime can communicate with a successful perform (act) check. A mime can take 10 on this check, so long as he is not endangered or distracted. He can even take 20. This represents giving the message one word at a time, rather than repeatedly trying. He can't repeat a failed check to the same recipient unless he takes 20 the second time.

Mime
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Mime Object

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Mime Throw

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Mime Objects

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Dual Miming

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Persistant Object

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Mime Wall

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Mime Animal, Mime Noisy Object

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Mime Masterwork Object

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Mime Large Object

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Greater Persistant Object, Mime Visible Object[/table]

Mime Object (Su): At the first level, a mime can create an invisible force object as a move action. The object must be small enough to be carried by a single person. It can't be magical, masterwork, or made of special materials. A suit of armor without a shield counts as one object. It exists after being mimed for two rounds per level of mime. It vanishes on the next round if the mime doesn't spend another move action to mime it again. It vanishes if the mime lets go of it. Miming is treated like spellcasting for the purposes of attacks of opportunity. Half of the level rounded at which the necessary ability can be used is used for the spell level.

Mime Throw (Su): At the second level, a mime can keep a mime object in existence long enough to use it as a projectile. This allows the mime to mime ranged weapons. Until he gets the Mime Objects ability, this can only be used for thrown weapons.

Mime Objects (Su): At the third level, a mime can mime multiple objects at the same time. They must be mimed separately, but they can exist at the same time. Their duration is split between the objects, rounded down. This ability can't be used to create more than one object that can't be carried

Dual Miming (Su): At the fourth level, a mime can mime an object with each hand, allowing him to mime two at once. This ability only applies to objects that can be carried.

Persistent Object (Su): At the fifth level, a mime can make a concentration check to keep an object he isn't touching in existence.

Mime Wall (Su): At the sixth level, a mime can mime an immobile object, such as wall, ramp, short bridge, force cage (only around the mime) etc. It may not exceed 10 feet in any direction. If it would block the mime from the attack of a given enemy, it does not provoke an attack of opportunity for that enemy.

Mime Animal (Su): At the seventh level, a mime can summon an animal with up to half the hit dice of the mime. It can be used as a mount.

Mime Noisy Object (Su): At the seventh level, a mime can choose for his objects to make sounds.

Mime Masterwork Object (Su): At the eighth level, all items mimed are treated as masterwork. This ability only applies to objects that can be carried.

Mime Large Object (Su): At the ninth level, a mime can create an object that is not man-portable, up to and including as a siege engine or a four-man boat.

Mime Visible Object (Su): At the tenth level, a mime can choose for his objects to be visible, though they are transparent. This can be used to mime light sources.

Greater Persistent Object (Su): At the tenth level, a mime can keep objects in existence that he isn't touching without spending an attack action concentrating on it. He still needs to make a concentration check when applicable.

Edit: Explained the mechanics of not being able to talk, changed caster level to level of mime, and made sure the objects were mundane.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-19, 09:27 PM
This only goes up to level 10. Is this a prestige or a base class?

It's an interesting idea, though I'm really terrible with crunch-balance for unusual abilities, I'm afraid.

DanielLC
2009-07-19, 10:39 PM
I could only think of ten levels. Let's just say that it's a base class that you're going to need to multiclass with.

zagan
2009-07-20, 06:31 AM
I really like the idea and the video is awesome.

A base class with only 10 level is a little weird but okay let's go with that.

I think he need more skill point and more skill if only to go with the theme of the class the most important in my mind being craft if he can create object from thin air he should be able to create them normaly too in the same vein, forgery, bluff, and perhaps disguise. Balance and escape artist could fit too. Move silently seem perfect for him ! Sleight of hand and use rope could also be fit.

In Mime object you mentionned caster level but a no point did you said what was is caster level I assume it's equal to class level but adding it would be nice.

In Mime visible object you said that the object can be visible but at no point did you said that before that they were invisible it seem evident but adding it might be nice.

Appart from that great job.

Lappy9000
2009-07-20, 07:35 AM
I could only think of ten levels. Let's just say that it's a base class that you're going to need to multiclass with.....also known as a Prestige Class :smallconfused:

I find it interesting that mimes get a d10 and good fortitude, but hey, sure. The miming abilities look a bit too free-form and may have some potential to be abused. Even so, miming is based off of caster level, which the class itself gets nothing of. An interpretation of the Mime Object ability could make it so that a 1st level mime can't even use his own miming abilities.

I'd advise working these things out a little more as well as tightening up the abilities to be a bit more specific.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-20, 07:59 AM
I could only think of ten levels. Let's just say that it's a base class that you're going to need to multiclass with.

Why don't you make this a bard variant, then? Replace the various inspiring/suggestion/etc. abilities, change spellcasting from requiring V components to requiring S components (with free automatic Silent Spell), and you're good.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-20, 08:14 AM
....also known as a Prestige Class :smallconfused:

I find it interesting that mimes get a d10 and good fortitude, but hey, sure. The miming abilities look a bit too free-form and may have some potential to be abused. Even so, miming is based off of caster level, which the class itself gets nothing of. An interpretation of the Mime Object ability could make it so that a 1st level mime can't even use his own miming abilities.

I'd advise working these things out a little more as well as tightening up the abilities to be a bit more specific.

It's probably meant to be a martial class that you PrC out of, like Frank & K's 10-level Knight. They just made the mistake of never finishing PrCs for it to enter.

I'd change the offending bit of Mime Object's wording to "Once mimed, a mimed object exists for 2 rounds per level of Mime / per character level of the Mime" depending on your preference. The latter would make it great for dipping, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-20, 08:31 AM
Why don't you make this a bard variant, then? Replace the various inspiring/suggestion/etc. abilities, change spellcasting from requiring V components to requiring S components (with free automatic Silent Spell), and you're good.

That... gives me an idea.

Mimic Spellcasting
Beginning at 3rd level, a mime gains half the spell slots as a wizard of two levels below his mime level, rounding up, and a caster level equal to his mime level -2. He must have a Dexterity of 10 + a spell's level to cast it. The save DC against a Mime's spells is equal to 10 + the spell's level, with no ability modifier bonus, and a Mime never gets bonus spells.

A mime cannot prepare any spells of any list in any conventional manner. Instead, if he witnesses a spell with a somatic component of a level he can cast, he may, as a swift action, make a Perform (act) check with a DC equal to 15 + the spell's level. He may take 10 on this check if he would normally be allowed to take 10 on any other check. Should he pass this check, he automatically prepares that spell in one of his remaining spell slots. If he has no remaining spell slots of a given level, he cannot use this ability on spells of that level.

The level of a mime spell depends on who he mimics them from. Mimes never need to pay material or XP components for their spells... as they can mime them.

To refill his spell slots, a Mime must have a full night's rest, and then deliberately dismiss all spells he still has prepared.

((The above is probably open to a lot of abuse, hence the tight limit on the number of spell slots. I'd also rather think of wording so that a Mime could mimic spell-like abilities by preparing them as spells, but hey.))

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-20, 09:21 AM
It's probably meant to be a martial class that you PrC out of, like Frank & K's 10-level Knight. They just made the mistake of never finishing PrCs for it to enter.

Actually, it wasn't an oversight; Frank and K moved apart, and since they got really busy and weren't under the same roof anymore, they didn't have time to finish the rest of the Tomes where those PrCs would be. At the Gaming Den, however, a bunch of folks are working to finish the Tomes with their input, and they have 5 or 6 PrCs done or currently in development.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-20, 03:45 PM
I really like what's there, although I'm not sure a d10 HD fits with the feel of the class. Question, though: can a Mime create armor for himself if he's already wearing armor? And what kind of armor can he create? It seems like it would be a over-powerful class at low levels if he can just say "ahah, on top of my chainshirt I'll be creating a suit of full plate." (Well, he can't say anything but you get what I mean).

Omegonthesane
2009-07-20, 04:43 PM
Actually, it wasn't an oversight; Frank and K moved apart, and since they got really busy and weren't under the same roof anymore, they didn't have time to finish the rest of the Tomes where those PrCs would be. At the Gaming Den, however, a bunch of folks are working to finish the Tomes with their input, and they have 5 or 6 PrCs done or currently in development.
Understood. I just recall one person finding it bizarre that they didn't give a 10-level Good Knight and Evil Knight with the original Knight so you had something to go on for 20th level.

Unless you went 10 Knight/10 Fighter, or 10 Knight/10 Barbarian, or said that Hell Knights are Evil Outsiders and went 10 Knight/10 True Fiend. But of course, that would be stupid. :smallbiggrin:

I really like what's there, although I'm not sure a d10 HD fits with the feel of the class. Question, though: can a Mime create armor for himself if he's already wearing armor? And what kind of armor can he create? It seems like it would be a over-powerful class at low levels if he can just say "ahah, on top of my chainshirt I'll be creating a suit of full plate." (Well, he can't say anything but you get what I mean).
I'd houserule in that situation, if it isn't made explicit by DanielLC, that the mime's mimed equpiment overrides and cancels the effect of his real equipment in the same slot until and unless he allows it to disappear. So not quite so overpowered.

Asheram
2009-07-20, 04:59 PM
It's quite a nice thing.. but then again... Make sure that it's only mundane items that can be conjured this way.

Horrible horrible thought if a Rogue gets hold of this.. ropes... ladders... snares...
Choking someone to death with a force rope. Lockpicking without "tools"
Stabbing someone with a force dagger.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-21, 03:27 AM
It's quite a nice thing.. but then again... Make sure that it's only mundane items that can be conjured this way.

Horrible horrible thought if a Rogue gets hold of this.. ropes... ladders... snares...
Choking someone to death with a force rope. Lockpicking without "tools"
Stabbing someone with a force dagger.

Mimed items only exist for 2 rounds per mime level, so a rogue at least can't set very good traps. Not until/unless he goes Epic Mime. And has a very good Concentration score.

Also... "Oh, no, I don't have to spend 30 gp on non-masterwork thieves' tools!" I think you're overreacting about that specific one.