PDA

View Full Version : X-Com, Terror From the Deep

Pages : [1] 2 3

Alex Knight
2009-07-19, 09:24 PM
Inspired by Chiasaurs' excellent X-Com LP, I've decided to try my own hand at Terror From the Deep, and I'm inviting opinions and a cast.

A word of warning, this is going to be a far more lethal game for the troopies than Chia's game. Alien grenades fly constantly.

So. Base locations, squad strategy, etc....any opinions?

chiasaur11
2009-07-19, 09:36 PM
Skip Gauss. Needs ammo, useless against most later enemies...

Also, read up on the tech tree. It's insane, and not to be attempted unprepared.

Artanis
2009-07-19, 09:40 PM
I volunteer to drive the tank! From a safe, remote-operation distance, of course :smalltongue:

nosignal
2009-07-19, 10:03 PM
Signing up to get killed for duty. I never played TFTD through past the first mission, kept getting my teams killed.

I'd be interested to see the game in its entirety. Will you be using any mods or utilities?

Artanis
2009-07-19, 10:28 PM
Signing up to get killed for duty. I never played TFTD through past the first mission, kept getting my teams killed.

If you've played the original, then you've pretty much played TFtD. There's enough there for it to be a noticably different game, but TFtD uses the exact same tactics as the original

Alex Knight
2009-07-19, 11:09 PM

I'd be interested to see the game in its entirety. Will you be using any mods or utilities?

Nope, no mods or utilities, just what came from the D2D people. I'll savescum to avoid total wipes, but otherwise I plan to ironman it.

EleventhHour
2009-07-19, 11:11 PM
I'll sign up! As the team 'medic.'

chiasaur11
2009-07-19, 11:15 PM
I'll volunteer for the science department.

Safe, but not completely detached from the madness in the field.

Plus, all the fun of being an intentionally obstructionist bureaucrat.

"I'm sorry, but we'll need a 7-J (Deep one Corpse) form in order to properly fill your request for aqua plastics research. Wish I could help, but there are regulations."

Eldan
2009-07-20, 01:45 AM
Hmm. For this one, I'll take the totally opposite personality from my totally human one in the other thread.
"Ready to shoot some lovecraftian scumbags, SIR!"

Rockphed
2009-07-20, 01:59 AM
Volunteering for any and all suicide missions, sir! I want to be an endless horde of redshirts!:smallamused:

Kane
2009-07-20, 02:02 AM
"I'm sorry, but we'll need a 7-J (Deep one Corpse) form in order to properly fill your request for aqua plastics research. Wish I could help, but there are regulations."

YOU! You're that bastard from my Paranoia game! Got me killed, you did!

I shall volunteer to combat the submarine menace! For Earth! For Dolphins!

I hope I have a ridiculously high courage score, so I can be completely unimpressed by the lovecraftian horrors and alien geometries.

["So you're Cthulhu, huh?" *pulls out cellphone, takes picture* "Smaller than I expected."

LesterLester
2009-07-20, 02:43 AM
Ready to give my life for apple pie, democracy, freedom...and did i mention apple pie?

Oslecamo
2009-07-20, 02:53 AM
Bench warmer reporting for duty sir! I hope this time I can be actually sent into the frontline!

Narazil
2009-07-20, 03:31 AM
It's been forever since I've had a good swim! Sign me up!

I've always prefered halfway between Europe and USA as the first base-sigh, I dunno why. As previously said - skip Gauss tech, get Psi molecular control as early as possible.
Never EVER bunch your troops, aliens throw grenades like.. Something you'd throw a lot in this game. Torpedoes, too!

Ashtar
2009-07-20, 03:44 AM
I volunteer for active duty, sir! I've even got diving experience ^^. :smallbiggrin:

Pie Guy
2009-07-20, 06:01 AM
Can I be the guy that shoots the crap? Or pilot type person, I'd be fine with that.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-20, 06:25 AM
Signing up for duty, sir! The alien menace will never know what hit them! What hit them is a steamboat

pendell
2009-07-20, 06:37 AM
Signing up as a redshirt. In this economy, jobs are tough to come by.

Besides, my character is still sitting at Fort Fri in the other game. Somehow I don't think that will be a problem here. Death and glory! "Or" is not an option in Terror From The Deep!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-20, 07:16 AM
For science, por favor!

BRC
2009-07-20, 09:39 AM
Signing up as a Pilot.

Flickerdart
2009-07-20, 09:54 AM
I'll sign up as cannon fodder. May my death leave someone more useful still breathing.

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 05:50 PM
Volunteering for any and all suicide missions, sir! I want to be an endless horde of redshirts!:smallamused:

This is Terror From The Deep.

Every mission is a suicide mission. You'd get better odds running with Rick Flag and Amanda Waller.

Redpieper
2009-07-20, 06:26 PM
Hmmm I'm thinking of signing on but what are the health benefits? :smallwink:

Gralamin
2009-07-20, 06:28 PM
Volunteering as a red-shirt.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-20, 06:29 PM
Sir, signing up as the lead scientist for our operations, sir! With my unparalleled expertise, we will surely wipe out the xenos scum with our advanced technology!

Now I'll finally have something to do when I sit around the base!:smalltongue:

Johnny Blade
2009-07-20, 06:33 PM
Signing up to put my life on the line as well.

Hopefully, I'll at least get a chance to die here.

Suicide Junkie
2009-07-20, 06:36 PM
I've noticed that you don't yet have an incendiary rounds autocannon grunt on your list of the living and/or dead.

Does nobody else love the smell of barbecued aliens in the morning?

Flickerdart
2009-07-20, 06:37 PM
Let's just say you won't have to suffer the indignities of poor health due to ageing.

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 06:40 PM
Sir, signing up as the lead scientist for our operations, sir! With my unparalleled expertise, we will surely wipe out the xenos scum with our advanced technology!

Now I'll finally have something to do when I sit around the base!:smalltongue:

Sorry pal, I called it.

Alex Knight
2009-07-20, 06:42 PM

I can promise that you won't have to suffer from a life-ending disease or cancer!

Should be started in 2-3 days.

Flickerdart
2009-07-20, 06:43 PM
I can promise that you won't have to suffer from a life-ending disease or cancer!

Should be started in 2-3 days.
Alien scum is like a disease or cancer, and they'll be ending us all for sure.

Johnny Blade
2009-07-20, 06:44 PM
Let's just say you won't have to suffer the indignities of poor health due to ageing.
I hear incontinence rates are high though, especially when on missions.

Flickerdart
2009-07-20, 06:45 PM
I hear incontinence rates are high though, especially when on missions.
I can truthfully say that all such complaints never last.

Redpieper
2009-07-20, 06:48 PM
Alrighty, sounds good to me. Count me in! :smallamused:

hajo
2009-07-20, 07:25 PM
TFtD uses the exact same tactics as the original
Except everything is harder:
* Weapons less powerful / smaller clips
* Need different weapons for land & underwater-missions
* Some traps in the research-tree
* Some aliens can fly swim, so 'flying armor' does not keep you out of their reach
* Bigger/longer missions (can get annoying)

Suzuro
2009-07-20, 07:47 PM
Ready for duty, Chief!

-Suzuro

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-20, 08:11 PM
Sorry pal, I called it.

Ah, but only in mechanical technology. No, I have something much more, unconventional up my sleeve...:smallamused:

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 08:20 PM
Ah, but only in mechanical technology. No, I have something much more, unconventional up my sleeve...:smallamused:

Ah.

Sounds interesting.* Keep me updated.

*Here meaning unethical** horrible** and dangerous**.
** Here meaning fun.

Surrealistik
2009-07-20, 08:27 PM
Word of warning; you're all meat.

Winterwind
2009-07-20, 08:29 PM
* Some aliens can fly swim, so 'flying armor' does not keep you out of their reach
* Bigger/longer missions (can get annoying)Also some more subtle things:
* It's more difficult to engage USOs than UFOs because the former can only be attacked while in water, and only if not traveling too deep.
* The terrain tends to be more nasty. While the USOs themselves usually have dual size entrances, which makes tanks slightly more useful, to make up for it terrain usually consists of many, many more corners and tiny rooms where aliens can hide. It's far, far easier to miss an alien than in the first part.

Also, I'd like to be the guy who steers the Triton/Leviathan, dropping the dead meat redshirts into their doom and sometimes even picking some of them up again. :smallcool:

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 08:33 PM
Also some more subtle things:
* It's more difficult to engage USOs than UFOs because the former can only be attacked while in water, and only if not traveling too deep.
* The terrain tends to be more nasty. While the USOs themselves usually have dual size entrances, which makes tanks slightly more useful, to make up for it terrain usually consists of many, many more corners and tiny rooms where aliens can hide. It's far, far easier to miss an alien than in the first part.

Also, I'd like to be the guy who steers the Triton/Leviathan, dropping the dead meat redshirts into their doom and sometimes even picking some of them up again. :smallcool:

You can tell which of us have played this game.

We're the ones who picked non combat roles. We know what happens if you're dumb enough to go into the meatgrinder.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-20, 08:51 PM

We're the ones who picked non combat roles. We know what happens if you're dumb enough to go into the meatgrinder.

I just did it cause I didn't want to be a coward like I am in yours.

Alex Knight
2009-07-20, 08:55 PM
I just did it cause I didn't want to be a coward like I am in yours.

You may or may not live long enough to become one.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-20, 08:58 PM
Ah.

Sounds interesting.* Keep me updated.

*Here meaning unethical** horrible** and dangerous**.
** Here meaning fun.

BWAHAHAHA- Oh, sorry. This is what I'm think of:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/01/06/calvin-trex.jpg

Soon, our legions of t-rex pilots will swarm from our ships, laying waste to any invader that crosses our path! They will pilot minature submarines released from our vessels, and like a colony of ants, utterly overwhelm our enemies! None shall stand beneath the might of our CREATACEOUS ARMADA!

Oh, and there will be cloning facilities in every living quarters so the dead meat soldiers can be easily replaced, but it's highly unreliable and inefficient at this point. And less awesome than the t-rex interceptors.

Winterwind
2009-07-20, 09:01 PM
Wait, wait, wait...
Cretaceous monstrosities brought back to life? Mini-T-Rexes in submarines? Cloning facilities all over the globe?

I believe we have found our resident alien spy already. :smallcool:

Artanis
2009-07-20, 09:04 PM
* Bigger/longer missions (can get annoying)

Yes, yes, like I said, it is indeed a different game. What I mean is that things like scouting, force deployment, door-breaching, target selection, and base planning are pretty much identical.

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 09:05 PM
Wait, wait, wait...
Cretaceous monstrosities brought back to life? Mini-T-Rexes in submarines? Cloning facilities all over the globe?

I believe we have found our resident alien spy already. :smallcool:

Only one way to tell.

Who's the current manager of the Cleveland Indians?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-20, 09:05 PM
You may or may not live long enough to become one.

...scientists can die?

Was I too vague when I said "For Science" thinkiing people would know I wanted to be a scientist of some sort.

Am I more insane then I though!?

Artanis
2009-07-20, 09:09 PM
...scientists can die?

They can in Apocalypse :smallcool:

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 09:17 PM
They can in Apocalypse :smallcool:

Of course, there being a soldier is a tiny bit safer, especially if you're a robot.

Psi proof, stun proof, brainsucker proof.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-20, 10:57 PM
What? You accuse me of being a filthy xenos?

Blasphemy! My creations will wring your puny necks and tear out your organs! And when I clone you, your sufferin-*tasered*

Oh, sorry. That's just one of the clones I created of myself. As you can see, the process has not been perfected, and it's left him... addled. Also, I've noticed that clones do not have the same physical and mental attributes as the progenitor. For some reason, the genetic structure gets distorted during the process of cloning. Also, memories and experiences of the person being cloned does not transfer over to the clone.
Which means that as of now, it's no different from getting a brand new soldier.:smallsigh: Oh well. At least there will be improvements in the future. FOR SCIENCE!

Gralamin
2009-07-20, 11:15 PM

I have played the game. I know all about the meatgrinder. I still relish the chance of not dying for multiple missions. Maybe I'll even be lucky enough to take down a lobsterman.

Of course, In reality, I know I'm probably going to drop on the first mission.

Surrealistik
2009-07-20, 11:52 PM
Of course, there being a soldier is a tiny bit safer, especially if you're a robot.

Psi proof, stun proof, brainsucker proof.

Increasing stats proof :(.

chiasaur11
2009-07-21, 12:20 AM
Increasing stats proof :(.

Nah.

Just stat increase resistant.

Artanis
2009-07-21, 12:25 AM
Nah.

Just stat increase resistant.

Might as well be increase-proof. You take an android through the entire game, and he might get two or three points of total increase.

Suzuro
2009-07-21, 01:03 AM
It doesn't matter as long as he dies gloriously for the god-emp.....X-Com.

-Suzuro

Cubey
2009-07-21, 01:18 AM
That's because Androids are the HWPs of Apocalypse. They don't use mini-tanks anymore (but the geoscape has actual tanks for you to use! They can only drive on roads though, and very slowly to that - so they suck), so they needed a replacement.

I hear expert Apoc players prefer all-Hybrid units. Their lower physical stats can increase in time eventually (and Apocalypse doesn't one-shot your soldiers so often anymore - except for brainsuckers, but they're surprisingly easy to kill if you play real-time), and their increased psionic abilities are a great benefit.

Also, I am NOT signing up for this game. I am not suicidal. You can pretend that after finishing his contract with X-Com somewhere around the year 2001, Cubey retired to a safe mountain home (away from huge bodies of water!), surrounded by cute robot girls he made himself a loving family. Also, one Project Enforcer prototype supposedly went missing around the time he retired, but it's only a rumour.

Murska
2009-07-21, 02:01 AM
I'll join in as a redshirt mostly since it sounds like you'll need 'em. A lot. :smalltongue:

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-21, 02:13 AM
Also, I am NOT signing up for this game. I am not suicidal. You can pretend that after finishing his contract with X-Com somewhere around the year 2001, Cubey retired to a safe mountain home (away from huge bodies of water!), surrounded by cute robot girls he made himself a loving family. Also, one Project Enforcer prototype supposedly went missing around the time he retired, but it's only a rumour.

Some of us are scientists, like, oh say, you in the other Let's Play. We're far, far away from the front lines.

chiasaur11
2009-07-21, 02:15 AM
Some of us are scientists, like, oh say, you in the other Let's Play. We're far, far away from the front lines.

And some of us are making plans for the (increasingly likely) chance of Cthuloid victory.

I have a one man shuttle to mars. I hear Cydonia's lovely in the summer.

Cubey
2009-07-21, 02:22 AM

That may save your life, but it won't save your SANITY. Even if you were a mad scientist and had precious little of it to start with.
Hell, in TftD even engineers aren't safe - you regularly ship them off to a nearest asylum from just working on aqua plastics.

Oslecamo
2009-07-21, 02:59 AM

Can I be the butler? I swear I'll even pick up arms to defend you if some aliens show up!:smallbiggrin:

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-21, 03:15 AM
That may save your life, but it won't save your SANITY. Even if you were a mad scientist and had precious little of it to start with.
Hell, in TftD even engineers aren't safe - you regularly ship them off to a nearest asylum from just working on aqua plastics.

:smallfurious:
SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK!

Cubey
2009-07-21, 03:28 AM
Can I be the butler? I swear I'll even pick up arms to defend you if some aliens show up!:smallbiggrin:

See, this is why I moved out to the mountains. It's far away from the sea, so the aliens cannot attack me. They only hit targets that are in (bases), on (ships) or nearby water (ports). They die if they have to spend more than a few hours on fresh air, so I'm safe.

Very safe. Ending spoilers:
At least until someone actually wins the game, and the ecological disaster that follows hits me as hard as everyone else. Yes, Terror from the Deep ends in a major ecological disaster that kills off most plants and animals and pollutes the whole planet, possibly forever. This is the GOOD ending.

Matthew
2009-07-21, 03:43 AM
Make sure you download the fix for the bug in the game that causes the difficulty to reset to "very easy" whenever you save.

Gralamin
2009-07-21, 04:10 AM
Make sure you download the fix for the bug in the game that causes the difficulty to reset to "very easy" whenever you save.

I heard that bug set it to superhuman in Terror From the Deep. Your not telling me it actually gets HARDER then that, are you? :smalleek:

Matthew
2009-07-21, 04:14 AM
I heard that bug set it to superhuman in Terror From the Deep. Your not telling me it actually gets HARDER then that, are you? :smalleek:

Apparently, yes it does. To be fair, we kicked the ass of TftD about twelve to fourteen years ago as a result of the bug (and after getting completely destroyed the first couple of attempts before saving). We used to set all games to the hardest difficulty level, so we thought we were playing on Superhuman. Here is a link to a discussion over on the Dungeon Delver's Forum (http://www.thedelversdungeon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=414), which contains a link to various patches (http://xcomutil.scotttjones.com/).

Gralamin
2009-07-21, 04:24 AM
Apparently, yes it does. To be fair, we kicked the ass of TftD about twelve to fourteen years ago as a result of the bug (and after getting completely destroyed the first couple of attempts before saving). We used to set all games to the hardest difficulty level, so we thought we were playing on Superhuman. Here is a link to a discussion over on the Dungeon Delver's Forum (http://www.thedelversdungeon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=414), which contains a link to various patches (http://xcomutil.scotttjones.com/).

I've heard of X-COM Util before, but thanks for the links. I think I'll go have nightmares of even more unkillable lobsterman, and Tentaculats now.

hajo
2009-07-21, 06:41 AM
I've heard of X-COM Util before
The option to (more easily) outfit the soldiers before each battle is by far the most useful feature of this program.
Otherwise, you would need to remember / keep notes about who should get what weapons, and repeat that for every single fight :smallannoyed:

Changing the layout of your first base a close second :smallbiggrin:

pendell
2009-07-21, 08:23 AM
Traps in the research tree?

Puzzled,

Brian P.

Cubey
2009-07-21, 08:33 AM
Too many to list in a short post, so I'll just show you an appropriate article (http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=TRTBAG).

Winterwind
2009-07-21, 09:03 AM
Unh, I knew of it, but never realized it was this bad. >_<
That would also explain why the M.C. Reader never showed up for research in my current game. Oh well, who needs psionic easy mode anyway? :smalltongue:

Matthew
2009-07-21, 10:34 AM
I've heard of X-COM Util before, but thanks for the links. I think I'll go have nightmares of even more unkillable lobsterman, and Tentaculats now.

Yeah, the first time we encountered lobster men was an object lesson in facing the unknown. We blasted away at them until our team was on the verge of collapse and in a moment of desperation one of our guys out of ammo sprinted in and made a close combat attack, which was when we discovered their vulnerability! :smallbiggrin:

Tentaculats remain a horrible, horrible enemy, though. :smalleek:

Eldan
2009-07-21, 01:23 PM
And some of us are making plans for the (increasingly likely) chance of Cthuloid victory.

I have a one man shuttle to mars. I hear Cydonia's lovely in the summer.

I?ll just phone home.

Artanis
2009-07-21, 02:54 PM
That's because Androids are the HWPs of Apocalypse. They don't use mini-tanks anymore (but the geoscape has actual tanks for you to use! They can only drive on roads though, and very slowly to that - so they suck), so they needed a replacement.

Yup. In fact, one of the cool things about Apocalypse IMO is how it often reaches the same end result as the originals, but by a different method. In this case it's how both take entirely different paths to reach the result of a series of badass units that never improve except through higher technology (better tanks in the first two, better gear in Apocalypse).

As for cityscape tanks, it's a shame that they suck so much. It makes me sad that a combo as awesome as a Griffon AFV with a Rumble Cannon is utterly ruined by how a stray shot taking out the road under it will insta-kill it :smallfrown:

Surrealistik
2009-07-21, 08:36 PM
I hear expert Apoc players prefer all-Hybrid units. Their lower physical stats can increase in time eventually (and Apocalypse doesn't one-shot your soldiers so often anymore - except for brainsuckers, but they're surprisingly easy to kill if you play real-time), and their increased psionic abilities are a great benefit.

This is correct. Hybrids are generally the best because A: They're resistant to being mindraped by Psimorphs late game, and B: Can mind control just about anything by mid-late, while the physical stat disadvantage is largely overcome.

Cubey
2009-07-22, 01:09 AM
As for cityscape tanks, it's a shame that they suck so much. It makes me sad that a combo as awesome as a Griffon AFV with a Rumble Cannon is utterly ruined by how a stray shot taking out the road under it will insta-kill it :smallfrown:

You said it. But of course, chasing very fast UFOs with a tank is not the soundest tactical idea in the first place.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-23, 06:38 PM
*Bumps thread to save it from the terrors in the depths of page 2*

Comet
2009-07-26, 11:46 AM
Terror From the Deep?
Please don't take me back under the waves, sir! Never again! Only death awaits those who dare wage wars against the Aliens With Submarines. And long, agonizing, graphic death at that!

You'll all die, you fools. Every last one of you.
Oh, what the heck. Give me a harpoon gun and one of those cheesy diving suits and let's get under. I've heard the underwater ruins of the Pacific Ocean are mighty pretty this time of the year.

Aricandor
2009-07-26, 12:00 PM
Having read the entire hilarity and noticing the concluding nature of the X-Com thread, I am reporting for duty here, sir!

As an engineer, maintaining the insertion craft, sir!

LesterLester
2009-07-26, 01:25 PM
I am not used to X-Com... can we name our submarines/avenger-thingies?

If I had the choice, I would name the submarine taking me to certain death
1) Charon
2)"HMS Candystore", "Seaquest" or "Canned Disaster"...or other outright stupid names

...I think I'm starting to realize why nobody lets me name things :smallfrown:

Winterwind
2009-07-26, 01:30 PM
I am not used to X-Com... can we name our submarines/avenger-thingies?The game itself offers no such option. Now, what we do in the Let's Play, of course, is a different matter entirely. :smallamused:

If I had the choice, I would name the submarine taking me to certain death
1) Charon
2)"HMS Candystore", "Seaquest" or "Canned Disaster"...or other outright stupid names

...I think I'm starting to realize why nobody lets me name things :smallfrown:Well, "Charon" and "Canned Disaster" sound quite accurate, actually. :smalltongue:

Fri
2009-07-26, 01:41 PM
Let me simply be the submarine pilot this time.

Winterwind
2009-07-26, 02:30 PM
Ah, yet another for the pilots' lounge. Pick up your welcome drink at the bar; just make sure to not sit on the big red seat over there. It belongs to BRC, and he doesn't take kindly to rookies taking his seat. Tomorrow is barbecue party; we'll be barbecuing some sectoid preserved from the last war, freshly thawed up, while making fun of the dead meat ordinary soldiers dead meat. :smallcool:

But to make it clear, I called the Triton! :smalltongue:

Murska
2009-07-27, 06:01 AM
Canned Disaster sounds awesome! It gets my vote, at least. :smallbiggrin:

Johnny Blade
2009-07-27, 06:05 AM
Well, "Charon" and "Canned Disaster" sound quite accurate, actually. :smalltongue:
Wouldn't you be Charon? :smallamused:

Winterwind
2009-07-27, 06:12 AM
Wouldn't you be Charon? :smallamused:Well, he brought souls to an afterlife.
I carry people only to their absolutely gruesome death, slaughter and otherwise hilarious to watch from the sub's safety disaster. :smallcool:

Johnny Blade
2009-07-27, 06:21 AM
Well, he brought souls to an afterlife.
I carry people only to their absolutely gruesome death, slaughter and otherwise hilarious to watch from the sub's safety disaster. :smallcool:
Well, he transported dead people over the water, you transport soon-to-be-dead people through it. Close enough.

On that note, this whole Charon thing gives me an idea.
I think your cowardly act of picking a noncombatant role should be punished by not paying you your salary, but hanging money bags around the transported soldiers' necks instead. To be collected upon return. If you want to get full salary, well, you better make sure to pick a good starting place for the mission. Or you'll be the one to find out if we got all aliens as you strip the bodies of the dead. :smallamused:

Winterwind
2009-07-27, 06:31 AM
Well, he transported dead people over the water, you transport soon-to-be-dead people through it. Close enough.

On that note, this whole Charon thing gives me an idea.
I think your cowardly act of picking a noncombatant role should be punished by not paying you your salary, but hanging money bags around the transported soldiers' necks instead. To be collected upon return. If you want to get full salary, well, you better make sure to pick a good starting place for the mission. Or you'll be the one to find out if we got all aliens as you strip the bodies of the dead. :smallamused:Yeah... or I take advantage of this being a flying sub1, dump you all off from multiple thousand feet altitude over hard rocky ground, collect the money bags, fly back to base and claim all of you died to the alien menace. Which nobody will have any reason to doubt, considering what we are up against2.
So... I suggest you think twice before making such proposals next time. :smallamused:

1 An incredibly silly concept, by the way, considering the specifications for something meant to fly and something meant to dive are pretty much diametrically opposed.
2 Tasoth? Bad. Tentaculats? Really bad. Lobstermen? Which sick bastard came up with lobstermen?!

EleventhHour
2009-07-27, 06:42 AM
Yeah... or I take advantage of this being a flying sub1, dump you all off from multiple thousand feet altitude over hard rocky ground, collect the money bags, fly back to base and claim all of you died to the alien menace. Which nobody will have any reason to doubt, considering what we are up against2.
So... I suggest you think twice before making such proposals next time. :smallamused:

1 An incredibly silly concept, by the way, considering the specifications for something meant to fly and something meant to dive are pretty much diametrically opposed.
2 Tasoth? Bad. Tentaculats? Really bad. Lobstermen? Which sick bastard came up with lobstermen?!

But don't you know the flying subs are rigged to explode if you do that? :smalltongue:

Johnny Blade
2009-07-27, 07:07 AM
Yeah... or I take advantage of this being a flying sub1, dump you all off from multiple thousand feet altitude over hard rocky ground, collect the money bags, fly back to base and claim all of you died to the alien menace. Which nobody will have any reason to doubt, considering what we are up against2.
Yeah, right. Like the Triton wasn't on the radar or something. Alex Knight will see it and then he'll...probably blame us for being softer than the rocks.

You know what? Forget I ever said anything.

If we can reverse-engineer alien technology within months, this is child's play. :smallcool:

Winterwind
2009-07-27, 07:22 AM
Though it does give me an idea... aquanaut bombs! Keep cruising over the site of the enemy operations and occasionally drop out one of our soldiers! With a bit of luck, s/he's going to plunge right on top of an unsuspecting alien, crushing them to death (or, in the case of lobstermen, moderately inconveniencing them as they try to figure out what that splashing sound came from and why their armour is painted red). It would probably enhance both the chance of our soldiers to kill something and to make it out alive!

I'll have to talk with chiasaurII about this... :smallcool:

Mewtarthio
2009-07-27, 08:34 AM

Really? Okay, sign me up for engineering!

Aricandor
2009-07-27, 03:00 PM
Hurray, a fellow engineer!

Also, what's aqua plastics? Is it like alien silly putty?

Rockphed
2009-07-27, 03:02 PM
Alex said he had an update ready on Saturday. I am saddened that he has not posted yet.

Artanis
2009-07-27, 03:14 PM
Hurray, a fellow engineer!

Also, what's aqua plastics? Is it like alien silly putty?

It's TftD's equivalent of Alien Alloys.

Mewtarthio
2009-07-27, 03:57 PM
So, we melt aliens down and mix them with other metals, then? I'm game! :smallsmile:

Johnny Blade
2009-07-27, 04:00 PM
I thought you wanted to be an engineer, not chef de cuisine. :smallconfused:

Aricandor
2009-07-27, 04:14 PM
Same thing, different materials.:smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2009-07-27, 04:49 PM
I thought you wanted to be an engineer, not chef de cuisine. :smallconfused:Judging by how X-Com discovers Aqua Plastics, he seems to have pretty much described the correct process though. Though, this being TftD, the truth is probably even worse.

The truth is always worse here... :smalleek:

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 07:20 PM
Judging by how X-Com discovers Aqua Plastics, he seems to have pretty much described the correct process though. Though, this being TftD, the truth is probably even worse.

The truth is always worse here... :smalleek:

Yeah.

You do not want to know how I made the dart guns.

Surrealistik
2009-07-27, 08:18 PM
To make this interesting, I think the no MC/Disruptor Launcher rule should apply, or there should be strict limitations on them. Even TFTD on Superhuman becomes a cakewalk when these degenerate elements are introduced.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-27, 08:21 PM
Hey, has everyone forgotten about Cubey's replacement as lead mad scientist tinkering with things man was not meant to know?

What a pathetic excuse of a madman Cubey is, letting little things like "sanity" and "one life only" get in his way.

The cloning chambers have all been integrated into the living quarters. But I must have aliens... yes, with aliens, who knows what horrors wonders mad science will bring into this world?:smallamused:

MWAHAHAHAHA!

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 08:31 PM
Hey, has everyone forgotten about Cubey's replacement as lead mad scientist tinkering with things man was not meant to know?

What a pathetic excuse of a madman Cubey is, letting little things like "sanity" and "one life only" get in his way.

The cloning chambers have all been integrated into the living quarters. But I must have aliens... yes, with aliens, who knows what horrors wonders mad science will bring into this world?:smallamused:

MWAHAHAHAHA!

So, I gotta be the Richards to your Victor Von Doom, then?

Sigh. Being the sane mad scientist is a bit of a burden.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-27, 08:42 PM

What are you talking about being a sane mad scientist?

What part of mad DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND YOU MAGGOT?!:smallfurious:

I BET YOU"RE THE KIND OF SCIENTIST WHO WOULD HOLD BACK HUMANITY'S PROGRESS JUST BECAUSE A BUNCH OF HIPPIES GOT THEIR S*** IN A TWIST!

I WILL BREAK YOU MAGGOT! I WILL MAKE YOU HATE ME! AND THAT'S GOOD, BECAUSE THE MORE YOU HATE ME, THE STRONGER AND BETTER SCIENTIST YOU WILL BE.

Oslecamo
2009-07-27, 09:02 PM

That's because sane cientists can only invent non pratical stuff. Every single amazing thing Richard builds can only run on the power of screaming babies of some alien tribe or something equally rare, making it useless for mass production.

Doom, on the other hand, used his technology to turn his country on one of the most advanceds on Earth!:smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 09:03 PM

I BET YOU"RE THE KIND OF SCIENTIST WHO WOULD HOLD BACK HUMANITY'S PROGRESS JUST BECAUSE A BUNCH OF HIPPIES GOT THEIR S*** IN A TWIST!

I WILL BREAK YOU MAGGOT! I WILL MAKE YOU HATE ME! AND THAT'S GOOD, BECAUSE THE MORE YOU HATE ME, THE STRONGER AND BETTER SCIENTIST YOU WILL BE.

Not so much sane as not evil, I suppose.

And the guy willing to say "Well, this isn't working right now. Maybe we can come back to it later." rather than activating the hybrids early and letting everyone at the base get slaughtered.

EleventhHour
2009-07-27, 09:41 PM

Buy me a drink? I promise not to pour this botle of Happy pills in yours. :smalltongue:

Johnny Blade
2009-07-27, 10:10 PM
Not one alien yet and people are already going crazy. Truly, the enemy's influence is strong.

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 10:15 PM
I'm not going mad.

I'm going sane. Individually labeled jars of screws, here we come!

Johnny Blade
2009-07-27, 10:18 PM
I actually wasn't talking about you. :smallwink:
Although I wonder what's up with the dartguns.

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 10:18 PM
I actually wasn't talking about you. :smallwink:
Although I wonder what's up with the dartguns.

Blame Rapture.

I worked on the D.U.P.s.

Mewtarthio
2009-07-27, 10:48 PM
Not one alien yet and people are already going crazy. Truly, the enemy's influence is strong.

:smalleek: E-Enemy? You mean "competitor," right? Right? I mean, I always knew this transfer was a punishment, but I never thought...

You're joking, aren't you? Ha, ha, stop kidding around.... please? :smallfrown:

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-27, 11:02 PM
Not so much sane as not evil, I suppose.

And the guy willing to say "Well, this isn't working right now. Maybe we can come back to it later." rather than activating the hybrids early and letting everyone at the base get slaughtered.

See, this is why I rock and make weapons of mass destruction and death, and your function is to answer tech support.

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 11:08 PM
See, this is why I rock and make weapons of mass destruction and death, and your function is to answer tech support.

You made the dart gun.

And said it was a viable combat tactic.

Coidzor
2009-07-27, 11:24 PM
I am excited for dying in an incredibly hilarious way.

BRC
2009-07-27, 11:35 PM
I'm not going mad.

I'm going sane. Individually labeled jars of screws, here we come!
...Oh my god, you're turning into copper. But that means...
*checks the filing cabinet*
He's got eight different folders labeled "Scumbags", the transformation has already begun!

EleventhHour
2009-07-27, 11:37 PM
You made the dart gun.

I used the dart gun.

For viable things. Like shooting Knight and pretending Cubey did it.

chiasaur11
2009-07-27, 11:37 PM
...Oh my god, you're turning into copper. But that means...
*checks the filing cabinet*
He's got eight different folders labeled "Scumbags", the transformation has already begun!

No, this is bizarro chiasaur.

Standard univers chiasaur still maintains a healthy hatred for all forms of filing.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-28, 12:49 AM
You made the dart gun.

Never mind, you are completely insane. Why would I waste my time with such a primitive and disgustingly sane device?

However, you have insulted my by linking me to the dart gun's invention. As punishment, I have injected myself with enough ADAM to make my body strength equivalent to that of Alex Knight's. Oh, and I still have a stun rod from the last alien war. Prepare to get beaten into a bloody pulp. And survive to feel the pain.

*beats chiasaur11 into a bloody pulp while keeping him alive to feel the pain*

chiasaur11
2009-07-28, 12:58 AM
Never mind, you are completely insane. Why would I waste my time with such a primitive and disgustingly sane device?

However, you have insulted my by linking me to the dart gun's invention. As punishment, I have injected myself with enough ADAM to make my body strength equivalent to that of Alex Knight's. Oh, and I still have a stun rod from the last alien war. Prepare to get beaten into a bloody pulp. And survive to feel the pain.

*beats chiasaur11 into a bloody pulp while keeping him alive to feel the pain*

Ow.

I am in pain. And the dart gun? Sane? No sane man would give soldiers a weapon better suited to carnival attractions for a war against advanced aliens.

Huh. Robotic duplicates were a good idea. Thank you, science.

Artanis
2009-07-28, 01:01 AM
Alex Knight should be proud: he hasn't even started posting yet, and already has five pages of discussion :smallbiggrin:

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-28, 01:37 AM
Ow.

I am in pain. And the dart gun? Sane? No sane man would give soldiers a weapon better suited to carnival attractions for a war against advanced aliens.

Huh. Robotic duplicates were a good idea. Thank you, science.

You mean cybernetic duplicates. Which you stole the technology from me, you untalented hack. Looks like I (read: ADAM-enhanced clones) have to go through the entire base to beat you.

And when I mean sane, I mean that looking or interacting with it at all won't drive you irrevocably insane and gibbering.

This hasn't gone too far, has it?

chiasaur11
2009-07-28, 01:49 AM
You mean cybernetic duplicates. Which you stole the technology from me, you untalented hack. Looks like I (read: ADAM-enhanced clones) have to go through the entire base to beat you.

And when I mean sane, I mean that looking or interacting with it at all won't drive you irrevocably insane and gibbering.

This hasn't gone too far, has it?

Probably.

Besides. Someone made the dart gun.

If I didn't do it (It's utterly worthless, and no sane scientist would authorize putting that in the field.) and you didn't do it (Not over the top enough)...

Well, witchhunts aren't productive, sure, but something's up.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-28, 02:13 AM
Hey look, Cubey just turned down his post as lead scientist and ran away for "safety reasons" just before we got to talking about the dart gun...

Obviously, it's his fault the dart gun is in our arsenal. I say we send a team of X-com operatives to storm his mountain home and destroy everything he holds dear for this transgression. And for lulz. And for more test subjects.

chiasaur11
2009-07-28, 02:27 AM
Hey look, Cubey just turned down his post as lead scientist and ran away for "safety reasons" just before we got to talking about the dart gun...

Obviously, it's his fault the dart gun is in our arsenal. I say we send a team of X-com operatives to storm his mountain home and destroy everything he holds dear for this transgression. And for lulz. And for more test subjects.

See, this is why I'm needed.

It would be fun, but did you see Cubey's designs for alien war one?

They tended to focus on giant robots, huge explosions, and similar over-the-top ness.

No way he'd design this thing. If he was sabotaging, we'd see a lot more explosions.

Someone else is behind this. And we can't spare the men to execute cowards yet.

Aricandor
2009-07-28, 03:26 AM
Um. Hypothetical question about the dart gun. If one of the engineers was hypothetically speaking the one who just hypothetically built it (but by hypothetical orders from superiors!), could that engineer hypothetically be held responsible for the dart gun?

Hypothetically?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 08:31 AM
Alex Knight should be proud: he hasn't even started posting yet, and already has five pages of discussion :smallbiggrin:

Quite indeed. I find the to be as entertaining as the Let's Play (which of course hasn't started yet).

If it's taking this long, it must be EPIC. No I'm not being sarcastic, what makes you think that?

Oslecamo
2009-07-28, 09:52 AM
Someone else is behind this. And we can't spare the men to execute cowards yet.

Why execute corwards when you can send them to the frontline to draw the enemies out?:smalltongue:

Winterwind
2009-07-28, 09:54 AM
Why execute corwards when you can send them to the frontline to draw the enemies out?:smalltongue:The problem with that plan is that, this being TftD, anybody who is a coward will infallibly die from fear alone long before getting close enough to the frontline...

Mewtarthio
2009-07-28, 05:24 PM
Um. Hypothetical question about the dart gun. If one of the engineers was hypothetically speaking the one who just hypothetically built it (but by hypothetical orders from superiors!), could that engineer hypothetically be held responsible for the dart gun?

Hypothetically?

:smallmad: Dammit, Ari! You said that would be our secret!

...I mean, you hypothetically would have said so if this so-called "dart gun" even existed, which it does not.

Rockphed
2009-07-28, 06:03 PM
The problem with that plan is that, this being TftD, anybody who is a coward will infallibly die from fear alone long before getting close enough to the frontline...

Pshaw! What is this fear thing of which you speak. We only face monsters made from writhing masses of tentacles who have lain in eternal slumber since time immemorial and have, as their prime desire, the consuming of human flesh while their victim's screams rend the air. See, nothing to worry about. We'll probably be done and back in time for tea.

Aricandor
2009-07-29, 05:50 AM
:smallmad: Dammit, Ari! You said that would be our secret!

...I mean, you hypothetically would have said so if this so-called "dart gun" even existed, which it does not.

Yes. That's right! It's a myth! Like Chrysalids and... And... Uh. Other imaginary stuff of nightmare!

Now, let's just get back to building laser cannons and other things that actually exist!

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 05:55 AM
Chryssalids... are nothing.
All the horrors of the First Alien War pale in comparison to the neverending terror of what lies below in the oceans' depths.
This is the end-time. Repent, and die, for those who die will suffer more shortly.
...but first, let's make some good profit with this organization of ours. :smallcool:

Eldan
2009-07-29, 06:15 AM
I'll just leave this (http://www.fredvanlente.com/cthulhutract/pages/index.html) on the table then. Goodbye.

Aricandor
2009-07-29, 08:51 AM
Chryssalids... are nothing.
All the horrors of the First Alien War pale in comparison to the neverending terror of what lies below in the oceans' depths.
This is the end-time. Repent, and die, for those who die will suffer more shortly.
...but first, let's make some good profit with this organization of ours. :smallcool:

Cool! Now get out there and capture some aqua plastics for us to play with! :smallbiggrin:

EleventhHour
2009-07-29, 08:56 AM
Cool! Now get out there and capture some aqua plastics for us to play with! :smallbiggrin:

*plays with a squishy ball of Aqua-Plastic.*
"Hm?"
*hides it back in her room*
"I have no alien stuff, aside from some old Elerium. What are you talking about?"

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 08:59 AM
Cool! Now get out there and capture some aqua plastics for us to play with! :smallbiggrin:Hey, I'm just the pilot who drops those suicidal maniacs we call our soldiers onto the battlefield, I'm staying the hell out of those fights. :smalltongue:
But, just so that it's clear, I want those aqua plastics housebroken before I let them into MY craft! :smallcool:

Oslecamo
2009-07-29, 09:09 AM
Hey, I'm just the pilot who drops those suicidal maniacs we call our soldiers onto the battlefield, I'm staying the hell out of those fights. :smalltongue:
But, just so that it's clear, I want those aqua plastics housebroken before I let them into MY craft! :smallcool:

Actually, as far as I understand it's the X-com soldiers who pilot the vehicles. If you're near the frontline, you will grab a weapon and either kill aliens or lure them out. That's the X-com way.:smalltongue:

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 09:10 AM
Actually, as far as I understand it's the X-com soldiers who pilot the vehicles. If you're near the frontline, you will grab a weapon and either kill aliens or lure them out. That's the X-com way.:smalltongue:The last person to say that had to swim all the way back home to base. They never asked me to march into certain death fight on the frontline again. :smalltongue:

EleventhHour
2009-07-29, 09:15 AM
Well, good thing I fly an Interceptor... or... :smalleek: I DON'T LIKE BEING UNDERWATER. FIND YOUR OWN SUBMARINE-INTERCEPTOR PILOT.

Ashtar
2009-07-29, 09:45 AM
I know why X-Com needs to find exceptional soldiers to operate military operations on the ocean floor. Operating in such an environment where a flaw in your kit will certainly cause death. Subject to high pressure, breathing different mixes like trimix or heliox depending on the depth, dealing with nitrogen narcosis and fighting creatures that man was not meant to meet is quite a hard and difficult endeavour.

But still, the protection of humanity is out first and foremost goal, we kicked the etheral's ass on Cydonia, we will prevail against the new invaders from below.

Can you see I memorized the indoctrination guide given to us on our first day? Oooh! I'm looking forwards to our first combat dive.

Fri
2009-07-29, 03:57 PM
Where is Alex anyway?

Oh, and whether this is in chia's continuity or not, I'm still a ghost. Let's say, posessing a medkit get boring after a while, and I decided to posess a submarine.

BRC
2009-07-29, 04:23 PM
Where is Alex anyway?

Oh, and whether this is in chia's continuity or not, I'm still a ghost. Let's say, posessing a medkit get boring after a while, and I decided to posess a submarine.
You can possess my sub, provided you don't mind Russian Orchestral music playing constantly.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-29, 04:23 PM
If Alex is still taking people with suicidal ideations recruits to kill everything not already dead the Xeno scum, I was forced into this because I got my girl pregnant volunteer.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-29, 04:29 PM
Guess I have to volunteer for red shirt duty since I'll probably survive the other X-Com LP and will no doubt be unable to retire.

Johnny Blade
2009-07-29, 04:38 PM
Guess I have to volunteer for red shirt duty since I'll probably survive the other X-Com LP and will no doubt be unable to retire.
Same here, except that I'm even worse than you - and have already volunteered.
(Psi strength 8. I didn't know they even went that low.)

chiasaur11
2009-07-29, 04:40 PM

They go all the way down to 0.

We got one of those too. Not anyone who's named. Just a random redshirt.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-29, 04:43 PM

I always assumed I'd be shot to death.

Winterwind
2009-07-29, 04:44 PM
Possessed submarines, Lovecraftian monstrosities, megalomaniac scientists, scheming engineers and a commander who is not even trying to hide that he is obviously a major Champion of Khorne.

This is glorious, and it hasn't even started yet. :smallbiggrin:

Johnny Blade
2009-07-29, 04:47 PM
They go all the way down to 0.
Huh...if the stats in your Let's Play are the norm, I must have some overly egalitarian people working in my Psi Lab, obviously fixing the results - reported psi strengths ranged from 23 to 84 so far.

Aricandor
2009-07-29, 05:41 PM
Hey, commander! I was given these schematics for new additions to the interceptors and transports and I just wanted to make clear...

- Do we really want those cup holders this close to the controls?
- Are you sure you want the control labels so clear when duct tape with crayon writing will serve just as fine?
And most importantly
- I don't actually have to figure out somewhere to put 'chutes and emergency oxygen supplies, right?

Given the life expectancy of the goons sent out anyway, can't we, like... "Curtail the expenses" and use the money for better things like... Um. Mewtarthio, show the commander what we want to use the liberated funds on!

Mewtarthio
2009-07-29, 07:18 PM
As you wish:

Behold, the Mewtarthio Microwave Mansion! With just a handful of extra funding and a bit of extra space, we intend to construct the world's first walk-in microwave oven! Intended solely for the use of furthering human knowledge and might, of course.

What I mean is, we intend to throw captured aliens inside and watch what happens when we turn the thing on.

Plus, we can also reheat and recycle the GruntGruel, which will save a lot of money in the long run given that like 90% of that stuff goes right through our soldiers' systems.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 07:33 PM
I've got it!

Alex Knight is obviously waiting until Chiasaur's is done, so those who die aren't accidentally included in the game.

Johnny Blade
2009-07-29, 07:38 PM
I've got it!

Alex Knight is obviously waiting until Chiasaur's is done, so those who die aren't accidentally included in the game.
Well then, cheers, man. We're both gonna die underwater due to being too bad for the Mars mission.

We should open up a club or so. The Flotsam Flopsquad. :smallcool:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 07:45 PM
Well then, cheers, man. We're both gonna die underwater due to being too bad for the Mars mission.

We should open up a club or so. The Flotsam Flopsquad. :smallcool:

I'm still pretty sure scientists can't die underwater.

Having never played any game in the series though, you can probably ignore me.

Ooh! I have the perfect in character justification for changing from Redshirt to Scientist.

"After his life in the first X-Com war, where death was a constant threat on the front lines, DarkFiddler was tired of the constant danger, and considered putting his mind to work creating things instead of his body as a meatshield. Of course, he would later come to regret this decision when the scientists started developing meatshields to protect the infantry. Such is life."

I'd probably be the only sane one. Which of course would make everyone else look sane and me look insane.

Johnny Blade
2009-07-29, 07:49 PM
Oh, yeah, you're a scientist now. My bad. Coward.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-29, 08:15 PM
Oh, yeah, you're a scientist now. My bad. Coward.

I'm still a redshirt. Mostly due to contractual obligations.

Inhuman Bot
2009-07-30, 03:52 AM
*Is unsure how he's missed this*

Having recently gotten TFTD and played it...

I'll volunteer to join redshirt horde.

If "horde" can be applied to the undoubtadly rapidly shrinking group.

EleventhHour
2009-07-30, 03:54 AM
Hm. Since I refuse to pilot a submarine, I'll sign a transfer sheet to the manufacturing department, trying to put all of those crazy blueprints together should be a fun challenge. :smallsmile:

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 04:53 AM
I think in TftD the lines between engineer and surgeon are rather muddy at best, anyway. :smalltongue:

Aricandor
2009-07-30, 01:04 PM
Really? Cool! A perfect opportunity to try out this mail-order medical degree!

Who wants to get injured in combat first?! :smallbiggrin:

Murska
2009-07-30, 01:31 PM
Injured? What's that?

There's three possible redshirt health statuses. Unharmed and Fine Red Mist.

The third? I heard a rumour that once a guy was only 'Dead'. He was hit with a pebble by a teammate, fifty meters away directly in front of him and he was wearing the best armour mankind has ever developed.

Oh, it happened underwater.

Johnny Blade
2009-07-30, 01:36 PM
You're forgetting Digested.

I'm still a redshirt. Mostly due to contractual obligations.
But you're useful. You don't count. :smalltongue:

Murska
2009-07-30, 02:09 PM

That's not a health status for redshirts, it's the status of the organic materials left on the battleground in the alien reports.

Aricandor
2009-07-30, 02:58 PM
Then I shall make it my personal mission as the finest of medingineers that Earth has to offer, to give the red shirts access to this mythical state of being "dead"!

Mewthario, bring the tools and my first aid pamphlets, we have work to do!

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-30, 02:59 PM

And "violated by Tentaculat"

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 03:17 PM
And "violated by Tentaculat"

Look. We don't want to destroy morale before the first mission.

Thus, we do NOT mention Tentaculats. Ever.

Gralamin
2009-07-30, 03:38 PM
Look. We don't want to destroy morale before the first mission.

Oh god, Tentaculats :smalleek:. There goes my morale. Look what you've done! :smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 03:52 PM
Tentaculats. Tentaculats Tentaculats Tentaculats. :smalltongue:

Rockphed
2009-07-30, 04:01 PM

Brain Sucking masses or writhing tentacles that also want to play the part of Evard's tentacles of forced intrusion? *Stares at a vid blankly* I don't beleive they exist!

Inhuman Bot
2009-07-30, 04:18 PM
"Tentaculat"

*Knocks on wood*

TFTD is fun like that. :smalltongue:

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 07:53 PM
(Sorry about the delays. Without further adeu, here we go!)

In 2040, I was appointed commander of the U.N.'s submersible anti-smuggling operation. Pathetic dead-end job with a lousy salary. I was contemplating drowning myself in rum when one of my Barracuda pilots came to see me.

"Comrade Commander, on my last patrol I spotted a strange ship on sonar. It wasn't one of the ones used by the decadent capitalist smugglers. In fact, it reminds me of those ships used by the Cydonian intruders 40 years ago."

Rum could wait. This could be important. If the aliens were trying another invasion, the U.N. would need to assemble an elite strike force staffed by the best and the brightest. They'd...they'd put me out of a job, and I wouldn't even have this pathetic salary. So...I could tell my superiors about this, or I could deal with what could possibly be the greatest threat to humanity using a group of societal rejects and lowest-bidder gear, and keep all the profits for myself.

I made the right choice.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com1.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com1.jpg)

If the history of the last alien menace was anything to go by, I'd need advanced weapons to make a profit (and save the earth), since this lowest-bidder dart gun crap would almost definately not cut it. This called for a visit to my resident mad scientitss, Chiasaur and Rapture. These two lunatics had been condemned by every scientific organization, reputable or non-, on the planet, which is how I could afford to hire 'em. As I approached the labs, I could hear the two of them yammering.

"Ok, so if I give Lopez the plasma cannon upgrade that'll only cost me 22 points, which still leaves me enough to get Knight."

"Yeah, but you won't be able to afford the bayonet upgrade then."

"Bah, I still think that upgrade is overpowered. I mean, allowing you to beat a Chrysallid in hand-to-hand?"

Hmm. Sounds like they were discussing typical useless crap. Well, time to get their attention.

When the harpoon dart stopped quivering in the ceiling, Chiasaur asked "So, what's important enough to drag you donw here, sir?"

"I need better guns. Get to work."

"Why? Those <snicker> state of the art <snicker> harpoon guns are capable of dealing with any smuggler."

"But not aliens. So get your thinking cap on and figure out some insanely lethal and cheap weapons."

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com2.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com2.jpg)

Rapture was smirking. "What makes you think I didn't mean you, too?"

"Oh, I figured you did. I just already have something ready."

That got my attention. "Oh really?"

He cackled. It was oddly disquieting. "They said it couldn't be done. Well, I showed them, I showed them all!"

Great, another rant. I nipped this one in the bud with a harpoon dart in the floor at his feet.

"Oh, right, well, it occurs to me that you're expecting heavy casualties, right?"

"No, I expect the aliens to just roll over and die. OF COURSE I expect heavy casualties." Sheesh, eggheads.

"Well, it just so happens that I've cobbled together some cloning pods we can use. That should deal with manpower issues."

Hmm...and then I wouldn't need to pay death benefits....

"Excellent work, Rapture. Chiasaur, get cracking!"

Nine days later, Chiasaur came to me with specs on gauss pistols. He said he was still working on the ammo problem, but I could get the wrenchmonkeys busy making the guns. It would definitely give people something to do, since we hadn't seen a single bloody sub.

Not two days later, naturally, BRC caught one and dropped it to the bottom. Time to see what we could salvage!

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com3.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com3.jpg)

Artanis drove the tank off the sub, looking for anything mind-bendingly evil. He didn't see anything, but we all heard some kind of weapons fire coming from near him. Must have scared one of the buggers.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com4.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com4.jpg)

EleventhHour went looking and drew more fire, but the scum missed her.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com5.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com5.jpg)

A third shot went wide of everyone. Maybe these aliens really would just roll over and die. A little investigation revealed...

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com6.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com6.jpg)

SECTOIDS!?! I've been worked up over SECTOIDS?

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com7.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com7.jpg)

Well, that took care of that. Oslecamo took care of a second one that had been hiding behind the wreckage. A third one tried to play a running ambush game, but an AP gas cannon round taught him otherwise. Well, it would have taught him if he'd lived. Artanis nailed the last one and that was it.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/th_X-Com8.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/?action=view&current=X-Com8.jpg)

Have to get BRC to leave a little more submarine to salvage next time.

Gralamin
2009-07-30, 07:58 PM
Awesome Start.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 08:02 PM
Could you make the pics a bit bigger? [/nitpick]

Where am I?[/whine]

Great start! [/praise]

Surrealistik
2009-07-30, 08:04 PM
So are MC units/Disruptor Launchers kosher? Also, what difficulty?

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-30, 08:04 PM
Could you make the pics a bit bigger? [/nitpick]

The pics are big, he just linked the thumbnail instead of the pic itself.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/X-Com1.jpg

An example.

Aricandor
2009-07-30, 08:06 PM
Plastics! Plastics for the Mewthario Microwave Mansion! Bwahahahah!

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 08:06 PM
GAUSS?

I was KIDDING. Everyone knows using a particle accelerator's for land warfare. Too much slowdown underwater. And if we were focusing on the topside, we could buy some of the old Cydonia surplus. I mean the Elerium gear's expensive, but you can get laser rifles free with a box of crackerjacks.

And why do you assuming I know much about particle accelerators anyway? It was messing up with one of those that got me kicked out of MIT. Well, not so much messing with it as...

Oh. Right. Killing three people. I guess I do know how to kill with Gauss better than anyone else.

I still recommend ripping off the aliens instead. They seem to have a vague idea what they're doing.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 08:07 PM
The pics are big, he just linked the thumbnail instead of the pic itself.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab132/Alex_Knight_Xcom/X-Com1.jpg

An example.

Ah. I dislike thumbnails. They require taking the effort to click on them. Then I have to switch tabs... It's a mess.

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 08:07 PM
So are MC units/Disruptor Launchers kosher? Also, what difficulty?

MC units: Maybe. Depends on MC strengths

Disruptor Launchers: Probably for the multi-stage missions. Those are a PITA

Difficulty? Default, which means superhuman.

Johnny Blade
2009-07-30, 08:09 PM
Heh. Great start, as has already been said. Although some screenshots the brave soldiers about to give their life in the unknown depths and their stats & status in the first post would be helpful.
Also, I wouldn't link the thumbnails. They're really a bit too small.

Surrealistik
2009-07-30, 08:10 PM
Ah. Generally as a rule, those things should be banned, otherwise the game gets laughably easy even on Superhuman, and the mission dispositions will basically become MC daisy chains + remote explosions. Yawn.

Aricandor
2009-07-30, 08:16 PM
Nothing to make things too easy on the red shirts. I'll need a steady supply of test subjects to find that magical state of being called "dead", preferably in the "Fine Red Mist" state, to reverse engineer the process and...

I mean.

Uh. Look, there's the dart gun!

Oslecamo
2009-07-30, 08:20 PM
Yay I killed something! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GO... Hmm, just saying how great it seems now that my last patron sold me to Alex after beingu acused of being just a salary drainer. But now they'll see, they'll all see. I'll become a professional alien hunter, and in return, GRANT US THE POWER OF CHAOS GODS DEEP ALIENS!

edit: And also now, I feel this terrible urge of creating warhammer:X-com, wich pits the redshirt guard, the psychic marines, the sectoid empire, the chaotic snakemen and the muttons against each other.

Winterwind
2009-07-30, 08:54 PM
"GiantInTheDeep" :smallbiggrin:

Great start. Loving it. Just in time, too, I was starting to wonder what we would do after chiasaur's LP comes to an end. :smallsmile:

MC units: Maybe. Depends on MC strengths

Disruptor Launchers: Probably for the multi-stage missions. Those are a PITA

Difficulty? Default, which means superhuman.Hmm, most multi-stage missions are either not in water or feature tons of doors (at least in the 2nd stage), so Disruptor Launchers are out of commission anyway.

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 08:57 PM
Hmm, most multi-stage missions are either not in water or feature tons of doors (at least in the 2nd stage), so Disruptor Launchers are out of commission anyway.

With enough high explosives, we don't need doors.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 09:07 PM
Remember, only I get to research the live aliens, alien corpses and alien weaponry to violate use for our great cause.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 09:30 PM
Oh, and get Cubey over here ASAP, or else I'll torture Nanoha, Fate, and Vivio to death using my cloned Gregor Clegane.

How did I catch them? Well, why do you think I didn't use my budget to make our army of dinosaur submarine pilots yet?

BRC
2009-07-30, 09:32 PM
Oh, and get Cubey over here ASAP, or else I'll torture Nanoha, Fate, and Vivio to death using my cloned Gregor Clegane.

How did I catch them? Well, why do you think I didn't use my budget to make our army of dinosaur submarine pilots yet?
Because I unionized the submarine pilots, and your Lab Techs.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 09:38 PM
Because I unionized the submarine pilots, and your Lab Techs.

That freed up my budget to create an army of Alex Knights to capture the lolis for my own twisted experiments.

Too bad they all died. They sure would be handy right now battling the aliens.

BRC
2009-07-30, 09:39 PM
That freed up my budget to create an army of Alex Knights to capture the lolis for my own twisted experiments.

Too bad they all died. They sure would be handy right now battling the aliens.
I was going to unionize those too, until Alex Prime (The origional) killed them all with a Venetian battle spork.

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 09:44 PM
I was going to unionize those too, until Alex Prime (The origional) killed them all with a Venetian battle spork.

Well, Chiasaur bet me I couldn't do it.....

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 09:47 PM

Exactly. Chiasaur just drastically diminished our chances of actually winning this thing.

Did you see how they just swarmed all over their little pretty bodies and beat them to near death? How I pratically spent the remaining budget keeping them alive and conscious so they could notice all the horrible things I'm going to do to them unless Cubey drags his butt over here? How even one managed to beat my Gregor Clegane clone using only his pinky?

Honestly, the conditions I have to work under...

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 09:49 PM
See, sir?

The halocinogenics in Rapture's coffee were a bad idea.

Incredibly bad.

BRC
2009-07-30, 09:49 PM
What I'm wondering, is where you were trained to use the Venetian Battle Spork, it's a rather obscure weapon, but you wielded it like an expert.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-30, 09:50 PM
What I'm wondering, is where you were trained to use the Venetian Battle Spork, it's a rather obscure weapon, but you wielded it like an expert.

It's part of his template. "Alex Blooded" "Gain proficiency in all weapons, theoretical and otherwise."

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 09:53 PM
See, sir?

Incredibly bad.

But I really do have those girls in my holding cells.

Really. I'm not seeing funny shapes anymore, and they're still there.

Wait, Gregor, I didn't say...

EWWWW....

I'm kinda having second thoughts about this idea, what with the torture and raping going on right now in my lab...

BRC
2009-07-30, 09:59 PM
It's part of his template. "Alex Blooded" "Gain proficiency in all weapons, theoretical and otherwise."
Venetian Battle Spork
Negative two and a half Handed Theoretical Weapon.
(Square Root of -8000)x3 Damage. Crit Range 5e-20.

Gralamin
2009-07-30, 10:00 PM

Whats the Level adjustment on that?

Mewtarthio
2009-07-30, 10:03 PM
Um, Lord Commander Knight, sir? Is Private Rapture's and Private BRC's erratic behavior just a ploy to keep me cowering inside the workshop, building more Gauss guns? Because if it were, I'd have to ignore it on principle, and I really don't want to do that.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-30, 10:04 PM

+9001. What else could it be?

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 10:05 PM

You don't want to know.

Gralamin
2009-07-30, 10:05 PM
+9001. What else could it be?

Well, that explains why he lives and we don't.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 10:07 PM
Um, Lord Commander Knight, sir? Is Private Rapture's and Private BRC's erratic behavior just a ploy to keep me cowering inside the workshop, building more Gauss guns? Because if it were, I'd have to ignore it on principle, and I really don't want to do that.

Nah, it's real.

OH GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS DOIN...

God, I feel so dirty now. I can't believe this is actually enjoyable, considering how much pain he's inflicting on her right now...

And I'm not a soldier. I'm the lead scientist at the base. So watch your tongue.

BRC
2009-07-30, 10:09 PM
Nah, it's real.

OH GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS DOIN...

God, I feel so dirty now. I can't believe this is actually enjoyable, considering how much pain he's inflicting on her right now...
That's it.

Comrade Commander, permission to storm Rapture's lab to stop whatever crimes against nature he's committing in there.

We need to get him to perform the proper crimes against nature. The ones he's currently committing are inefficient towards our goal of killing aliens.

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 10:11 PM
That's it.

Comrade Commander, permission to storm Rapture's lab to stop whatever crimes against nature he's committing in there.

We need to get him to perform the proper crimes against nature. The ones he's currently committing are inefficient towards our goal of killing aliens.

I give my approval, for what it's worth.

Distracts from making physics sit up and do tricks.

Rockphed
2009-07-30, 10:14 PM
Sir, requesting permission to tranq Rapture so he will stop freaking me out. Then I will get on with making videos documenting why we don't need to fear tentaculats, deep ones, lobstermen or Mutons.

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 10:23 PM
See, sir?

Incredibly bad.

Indeed. But not as bad an idea as taking them OUT of his coffee was. His un-augmented delusions are worse.

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 10:26 PM
That's it.

You've got more important things to do...like learning how to aim better. I want useful salvage out of those subs!

As for Rapture, I have a negative reinforcement device that, while I'm hesitant to use, should do the trick.

It's Copper and the Avenger AI singing duets. I have 96 hours of it, juuuust waiting for him.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 10:27 PM
That's it.

You... don't want to go in yet. Seriously. Only chiasaur11 should be allowed in, and that's only because I need to destroy the last vestiges of his sanity.

Ewww... how am I going to use them to get Cubey to come now, now that they're all bloody pieces of flesh on the floor? Covered in Gregor Clegane's fluids.

You've got more important things to do...like learning how to aim better. I want useful salvage out of those subs!

As for Rapture, I have a negative reinforcement device that, while I'm hesitant to use, should do the trick.

It's Copper and the Avenger AI singing duets. I have 96 hours of it, juuuust waiting for him.

If it's good, I'm going to put it in my iPod. If it's bad, I'm going to weaponize it to use against the alien scum.

So it's not really negative reinforcement. It's positive.

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 10:28 PM

You should be inside the workshop building gauss guns because I don't pay you or FEED you if you don't!

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 10:33 PM
You... don't want to go in yet. Seriously. Only chiasaur11 should be allowed in, and that's only because I need to destroy the last vestiges of his sanity.

It's disturbing, but not even Chryssalid disturbing.

I'm, of course, disgusted, but mainly disappointed.

Also, why are you buying so many mannequins?

BRC
2009-07-30, 10:33 PM

I'll try next time, Comrade Commander, but we only order torpedoes with maximum Kaboom. The ones we use right now were originally designed to break up icebergs, so it's kind of hard to just "Cripple" with those things.

Also, my training consisted of watching "Hunt for the Red October" a bunch...so yeah

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 10:38 PM
It's disturbing, but not even Chryssalid disturbing.

I'm, of course, disgusted, but mainly disappointed.

Also, why are you buying so many mannequins?

Now you get it.:smallbiggrin:

Alex Knight
2009-07-30, 11:12 PM
Also, my training consisted of watching "Hunt for the Red October" a bunch...so yeah

That's the best training I'm willing to pay for, so, yeah.

Murska
2009-07-30, 11:33 PM
Can we have our stats and/or other such info too? :smallsmile:

Oslecamo
2009-07-31, 03:38 AM
Sooo, when exactly did Rapture become a lolicon pervert? And why does it seems most of the base budget went down to buy the entire deluxe collection of popular magical girl miniatures?

EleventhHour
2009-07-31, 03:49 AM
Because Copper caught me wearing a towel between the showers and my room. And of course he took a picture and put it in his file folders. And since noone can ever bother to find the right one, Copper showed it to everyone. Right next to the picture of a psionically glowing blade bending like taffy in order not to hurt a random guy in a flak jacket. :smalltongue:

The miniatures, I can't explain. Maybe the Alien Entertainment is more hypnotic than we thought?

Cubey
2009-07-31, 03:55 AM

There is something you should know
So I'd rather tell you so
Don't sweat it, forget it

Okay, I won't continue this song. It's just horrible.
I kinda wonder how do you really plan to do that, with totally different power levels and stuff. But I digress. Do you people really want me in this Let's Play? Are you sure it's a good idea? These 20 years between Enemy Unknown and TftD took a toll on my sanity, and I was a mad scientist to begin with!

Plus, Terror from the Deep has drills. Now I can go beyond the impossible!

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 04:14 AM
Sooo, when exactly did Rapture become a lolicon pervert? And why does it seems most of the base budget went down to buy the entire deluxe collection of popular magical girl miniatures?

I'm not. But Gregor Clegane is.

@Cubey: Well, I had already caught them (don't ask, you don't wanna know), and I was going to torture them if you didn't come... but then Gregor went and did it anyway. And killed them as well. Ewww. Don't worry. I already put a plasma shot in between his eyes for that transgression.

And it's nice to see your back Cubey. Trust me. Your sanity is doomed either way, either from the aliens, or what Sir Clegane just did.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-31, 04:16 AM
I'm not. But Gregor Clegane is.

You're watching. That makes you a voyeur on top of that.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 04:17 AM
You're watching. That makes you a voyeur on top of that.

It's called being responsible for your employee's actions.

Alex Knight
2009-07-31, 04:22 AM
It's called being responsible for your employee's actions.

I'm not responsible for anything you do.

I may send you headlong into a lobsterman's embrace to be rid of you, but I'm not responsible for you.

Cubey
2009-07-31, 04:23 AM
And it's nice to see your back Cubey. Trust me. Your sanity is doomed either way, either from the aliens, or what Sir Clegane just did.

Seeing as Gregor is only a normal human, if exceptionally strong and skilled one, and the aforementioned characters have enough sheer power that you'd swear they could fart Blaster Bombs (oh sorry, it's Disruptor Ammo in this game) if they wanted to, I'd really have to be insane to believe you.

See, this very thread drains everyone's sanity, and the actual Let's Play didn't even start yet.

LesterLester
2009-07-31, 04:23 AM
"I should not have dropped out of Clown College...my mom was right.
And now I'm here, in a underwater base filled with lolis, the smell of borsht and the laughter of thirsting gods..."

BTW: could we have a list showing who's on duty, dead(will require most space, I guess) and waiting for participation?
Or do we already have one and I did not see it?

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 04:25 AM
Seeing as Gregor is only a normal human, if exceptionally strong and skilled one, and the aforementioned characters have enough sheer power that you'd swear they could fart Blaster Bombs (oh sorry, it's Disruptor Ammo in this game) if they wanted to, I'd really have to be insane to believe you.

Ah, but only before I spliced him with enough ADAM to mutate a lobsterman...

"I should not have dropped out of Clown College...my mom was right.
And now I'm here, in a underwater base filled with the rotting corpses of lolis, the smell of borsht and the laughter of thirsting gods and an entire base full of insane clones that all look like Lord of Rapture but are even more insane and are into lolicon"

Fixed that for you. You may scream now

Cubey
2009-07-31, 04:26 AM
So we're playing Bioshock now?

And since someone just mentioned underwater borscht... Fullmetal Panic? I hope it's not Kalinin's - now that's a thing to be afraid of. Forget tentaculats.

EleventhHour
2009-07-31, 04:27 AM
See, this very thread drains everyone's sanity, and the actual Let's Play didn't even start yet.

Actually, it did. On the previous page. We've just been having too much fun to notice. :smalltongue:

In other news ; Aliens can't hit skinny girls in tight sweatshirts scuba suits.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 04:28 AM
So we're playing Bioshock now?

And since someone just mentioned underwater borscht... Fullmetal Panic? I hope it's not Kalinin's - now that's a thing to be afraid of. Forget tentaculats.

Oooh, I can't wait fight the Big Daddies!

By the way, don't you think it's odd both Jack and Mr. Rogers both wear a red shirt and love children? Don't you think they're eerily similar...

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-31, 04:32 AM
By the way, don't you think it's odd both Jack and Mr. Rogers both wear a red shirt and love children? Don't you think they're eerily similar...

I'd be careful if you say much about Mr. Rogers. Or he'll kill you with a sword (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Nqguav6nE).

Cubey
2009-07-31, 04:32 AM
Your attempts at creeping me out only cause mild annoyance. 'Sides, Jack's got nothing on mr Rogers, he's the one who won the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny after all. This is a big spoiler.

And it's annoyance only because I was annoyed to start with - I think my X-Com Apocalypse is bugged. Gotta destroy all the light globes in the second alien building, I boom them up and still get no message that the building is disabled. I tried three times. Do they expect me to blow the whole battlescape up? I don't have enough boom for that!

(I have enough boom to blow up only 75% of the battlescape)

Oh yeah, and I just found the first Let's Play post. It seems it really started after all. And the first mission brings us Zrbite to that!
Just don't mess up on the research order.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 04:47 AM
Your attempts at creeping me out only cause mild annoyance. 'Sides, Jack's got nothing on mr Rogers, he's the one who won the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny after all. This is a big spoiler.

And it's annoyance only because I was annoyed to start with - I think my X-Com Apocalypse is bugged. Gotta destroy all the light globes in the second alien building, I boom them up and still get no message that the building is disabled. I tried three times. Do they expect me to blow the whole battlescape up? I don't have enough boom for that!

(I have enough boom to blow up only 75% of the battlescape)

I wasn't trying to...*BLAM*

Cubey! What the hell are you doing here? I thought you said you wouldn't be coming back! Oh, whatever. How was my clone doing? I hope he didn't go completely insane like the rest of them.

I was just trying to see if any of our old comrades would be willing to come back. So far I haven't found any...

Eww... what's that smell coming from my basement?

Cubey
2009-07-31, 04:51 AM
So it was a clone? I swear, it acted just like the original.

And yeah, I'm back. Where's the laboratory?
*looks at the gauss pistol designs*

*second take*

*falls down laughing*

Okay. We're in for an interesting ride.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 04:52 AM
So it was a clone? I swear, it acted just like the original.

And yeah, I'm back. Where's the laboratory?
*looks at the gauss pistol designs*

*second take*

*falls down laughing*

Okay. We're in for an interesting ride.

Yeah, actually I haven't been around for a week...

What? Who was the idiot who decided to research Gauss pistols? Those things are useless! Rip your weaponry off the aliens, they're the ones who knows what they're doing!

Why, if it was that clone...

Wait, chiasaur?:smalleek:

I'm disappointed in you.

And for god's sake, why I can't I open my lab door? Did my stupid clone change the password or something? Or is there something I really shouldn't see?

Cubey
2009-07-31, 04:59 AM
Gauss weaponry has its uses. It lets our aquanauts die with dignity, clutching something that at least LOOKS like a real weapon rather than a plastic bright yellow toy.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 05:01 AM
Gauss weaponry has its uses. It lets our aquanauts die with dignity, clutching something that at least LOOKS like a real weapon rather than a plastic bright yellow toy.

True, but with alien weaponry, less of them die. Or survive long enough to actually kill something, rather than just get shot without making a dent even in an aquatoid's soft fleshy skin.

EleventhHour
2009-07-31, 05:08 AM
*strokes her semi-contructed Gauss Pistol*

Well, I don't know. I kinda like it. Chiasaur? I want a bigger model. And remove the autofire from mine, because if I'm closing with the enemy, somethings awry. (Or at least I hope my stats support my belief in rifle-sniping. :smallwink: )

Oslecamo
2009-07-31, 05:32 AM
In other news ; Aliens can't hit skinny girls in tight sweatshirts scuba suits.

Everybody knows that the less a girl wears, the harder is for her to be hit. It's what happen in anime after all, and anime producers wouldn't lie to us now, would they?

Aricandor
2009-07-31, 05:37 AM
Everybody knows that the less a girl wears, the harder is for her to be hit. It's what happen in anime after all, and anime producers wouldn't lie to us now, would they?

Perhaps this is a phenomenon we of the engineering department can use to make room for further strategic budget cuts..?

Winterwind
2009-07-31, 05:54 AM
Personally, I think Gauss Rifles do have their uses.
Firstly, they do not require Zrbite-based ammo.
Secondly, them having less punch also means they are much safer in the hands of soldiers with low M.C. Strength.
Lastly, while they are bad against Tasoth and worthless against Lobstermen and some of the terror units, they work just fine against Aquatoids, Gillmen and the other half of terror units.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 06:31 AM
Perhaps this is a phenomenon we of the engineering department can use to make room for further strategic budget cuts..?

Basically females don't get to wear armor anymore.

I'll note that when deciding when to research things.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-31, 07:31 AM
*wakes up*

...Jeez guys, I go to sleep, and look at what happens. Ugh.

Artanis
2009-07-31, 12:19 PM
Man, I go away for a couple days, and I miss myself being useful! :smallfrown:

Also:

That's the farm, right? If so, Did you blow up all the little ones? Basically, go to the minimap, check every level, and blow up anything that resembles one.

Surrealistik
2009-07-31, 12:35 PM
Personally, I think Gauss Rifles do have their uses.
Firstly, they do not require Zrbite-based ammo.
Secondly, them having less punch also means they are much safer in the hands of soldiers with low M.C. Strength.
Lastly, while they are bad against Tasoth and worthless against Lobstermen and some of the terror units, they work just fine against Aquatoids, Gillmen and the other half of terror units.

Nah, because sonic ammo is a dime a dozen due to alien drops, Soldiers with low MC should be sacked (however it is more useful for those with unknown strengths), and Tasoth/Lobstermen are ultimately all you end up facing.

Cubey
2009-07-31, 12:57 PM
That's the farm, right? If so, Did you blow up all the little ones? Basically, go to the minimap, check every level, and blow up anything that resembles one.

No, the farm has little tiny blocks. I was in the food chamber - and I missed four glowy balls that were hidden on the top of the construction around the teleporter. How tricky!

And actually, I finished the game by now.

Sir, there's a message.
"We kicked their ass."

It's nice to get a happy ending in an X-Com game for a change.

Alex Knight
2009-07-31, 01:05 PM
Gauss weapons were being researched because it was either that, or medkits/motion detectors, and I actually finished the research on the pistols before I found my first USO.

Oslecamo
2009-07-31, 01:22 PM
Gauss weapons were being researched because it was either that, or medkits/motion detectors, and I actually finished the research on the pistols before I found my first USO.

So you prefer to research half-useless weapons that we probably won't need instead of basic health care that would stop us from bleeding to death when the aliens finally hit us?

Sniff, I love you boss.:smallredface:

chiasaur11
2009-07-31, 01:29 PM
No, the farm has little tiny blocks. I was in the food chamber - and I missed four glowy balls that were hidden on the top of the construction around the teleporter. How tricky!

And actually, I finished the game by now.

Sir, there's a message.
"We kicked their ass."

It's nice to get a happy ending in an X-Com game for a change.

Yeah.

It's the one reason I'm glad they never made Genesis. It's nice to have humanity make it.

Winterwind
2009-07-31, 01:30 PM
So you prefer to research half-useless weapons that we probably won't need instead of basic health care that would stop us from bleeding to death when the aliens finally hit us?

Sniff, I love you boss.:smallredface:To be fair, if the aliens hit us now while we have no armour, we will most likely end up quite dead anyway. :smallwink: