PDA

View Full Version : The Gish Truenamer

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-20, 01:52 AM
Ok, so I thought of this Gish Truenaming build.

It is a Truenamer8/Marshal1/Chameleon1/Exemplar1/Chameleon9

His name is Deth Munchausen (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=27916)

+59 static modifier to Truenaming before any spell bonuses are added. I have Guidance of the Avatar, Improvisation, Greater Heroism, Good Hope, and the ability to take 10 on Truenaming checks. Is this going to be enough?

268860 gp left over for weapons and armor. Any suggestions? It it enough to afford something decent? It seems that I can either afford a +8 weapon and +10 armor or a +10 weapon and +8 armor

Can I retrain or Psychic Reformation the Apprentice: Disguise feat into something more useful? If so, what?

What should my 18th level feat be? What about the floating feat from Chameleon?

Flickerdart
2009-07-20, 09:21 AM
The DC to affect a CR20 creature (i.e. yourself) is 55, which you auto-clear. Don't count on Quickened utterances working all the time, though. With a spell bonus of +6, taking 10 will work every time, though.

Also, you must mean Chameleon 9, not 10, unless you're an Epic Chameleon.

lord_khaine
2009-07-20, 09:41 AM
that does look like a interesting build, when do you think it will become playable ?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-20, 12:16 PM
I think it's playable, though not great, before level 10, and the power goes up quickly after you get access to Improvisation, Guidance of the Avatar/Divine Insight, and Divine Power.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-20, 12:17 PM
The DC to affect a CR20 creature (i.e. yourself) is 55, which you auto-clear. Don't count on Quickened utterances working all the time, though. With a spell bonus of +6, taking 10 will work every time, though.

Also, you must mean Chameleon 9, not 10, unless you're an Epic Chameleon.

Yeah, bit of a typo there.

I think you get +4 to affect yourself, so Quickened utterances work ok, right?

Draz74
2009-07-20, 12:47 PM
Nitpick: Improvisation works off your Bard level, so it's RAW useless to a Chameleon.

Maerok
2009-07-20, 12:47 PM
Well what gish things does the Truenamer class provide? I've read the class, but... There's also too many utterances that say "See the spell X on page Y of the PHB."

(There weren't enough ToM loathing threads on the forum before I bought ToM...)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-20, 12:54 PM
3/4ths BAB and few useful utterances at low levels.

Nitpick: Improvisation works off your Bard level, so it's RAW useless to a Chameleon.
Hm. True...

Flickerdart
2009-07-20, 01:13 PM
Yeah, bit of a typo there.

I think you get +4 to affect yourself, so Quickened utterances work ok, right?
You get +4 to affect yourself, but -2 because it's a personal truename. So the net bonus is only +2. They should've honestly let you speak your own freakin' name automatically, but noooo.

Zaq
2009-07-20, 08:53 PM
If you can't Quicken reliably, then no, it's not enough. A BC 'namer can get away with Quicken failing now and again, but a gish really can't. I hardly need to tell you how valuable actions are to a gish. If you can Quicken reliably, you should be alright.

Also, consider looking into a level of Fortune's Friend. Rerolling Truespeak checks can be really handy, and having that reroll not take your swift action is even handier. I don't know what you would remove for it, though. You're already losing an awful lot of caster levels.

City Slicker, from Races of Destiny, also adds Disguise to your class skill list, and is probably a better choice than Apprentice, since it adds other skills as well. The downside is that it's first level only, but it's worth considering.

I'm not sure what the best choice for 18th level would be. Maybe Practiced Caster (Chameleon)? Does that work?