PDA

View Full Version : New Doctor, New look!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-20, 02:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/entertainment_enl_1248072857/img/laun.jpg

Reminds me a little of Bill Nye, and a little of William Hartnell's Doctor.

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-20, 03:14 AM
I thought he was wearing a trenchcoat or something, according to his first picture.

Maybe he'll have different costumes? :smallconfused:

factotum
2009-07-20, 05:28 AM
I don't think he was actually "in costume" in any of the pictures we've seen him in to date--this is the first time he's actually been in the Doctor's clothes.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-20, 05:32 AM
I actually really, really like that, should it be his typical Doctor costume. It's smart, suave, and very in keeping with much of the fashionable types that're floating round the British trendy high street right now, just with an old-fashioned twist.

Wraithy
2009-07-20, 07:26 AM
I hope it fits his personality, which I'm looking forward to seeing. However, there's a tiny part of me which fears that they'll try making him Tennant 2.0 (hopefully that's not going to be the case).

Starscream
2009-07-20, 11:18 AM
I'm kind of relieved to see him wearing that. The initial pics of him made him look a little too emo. And also like he had never seen sunlight. This nerdy look is much more what the Doctor should wear.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-20, 12:16 PM
I'm kind of relieved to see him wearing that. The initial pics of him made him look a little too emo. And also like he had never seen sunlight. This nerdy look is much more what the Doctor should wear.

It's based in England. He hasn't ever seen the sun! :smallwink:

I'm waiting for the newest Doctor myself. One question, since I've only seen a few iterations of the Doctor (Tom Baker, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston): How many iterations can the Doctor go through? I thought I had read that he was limited to nine or so (plenty, if you have as long of a run in the Tardis as Tom Baker did, but other Doctors had much shorter stay times).

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-20, 12:32 PM
It's based in England. He hasn't ever seen the sun! :smallwink:

I'm waiting for the newest Doctor myself. One question, since I've only seen a few iterations of the Doctor (Tom Baker, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston): How many iterations can the Doctor go through? I thought I had read that he was limited to nine or so (plenty, if you have as long of a run in the Tardis as Tom Baker did, but other Doctors had much shorter stay times).
He can have 12 regenerations, so that is 13 of him (William Hartnell was his original, unregenerated, body). (Before we go into this fanboys, the official, cannon, explanation is that the Morbius Doctors where faked by The Doctor to throw off Morbius) He is at 11, 10 regenerations.

There is also possibly number 14, depending on how the Valeyard's description is interpreted. Is he pre-destined, artificial and impossible or somewhere in between? However at one point The Master was given 12 new regenerations, so he could have a lot more than 12.

Tamburlaine
2009-07-20, 12:38 PM
He looks good like that. Possibly they might be dressing him in a slightly more old-fashioned style to placate those (myself included, to a degree) who think that he looks too young for the role.

factotum
2009-07-20, 02:36 PM
He can have 12 regenerations, so that is 13 of him (William Hartnell was his original, unregenerated, body). (Before we go into this fanboys, the official, cannon, explanation is that the Morbius Doctors where faked by The Doctor to throw off Morbius) He is at 11, 10 regenerations.

Having said that, the BBC aren't going to let their cash cow die just because he's run out of regenerations, so if the series stays popular long enough for that to happen, something is going to allow him to go beyond 12...

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-20, 03:11 PM
:sigh:Well I did explain how they might in the second half of the post you quoted...:smalltongue:

comicshorse
2009-07-20, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry, but not even The Doctor can make a bow tie look good

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 07:12 PM

No, but The Doctor can make a bow tie likably dorky, which is certainly good enough.

Looks good. Faith restored.

Starscream
2009-07-20, 07:37 PM

And yet he can make celery a perfectly acceptable fashion accessory.

And although it pains me to admit this, I would wear the 6th Doctor's coat. No other character in history could wear that coat and get any reaction from me but a thrown rock. But I would wear it because the Doctor did.

nothingclever
2009-07-20, 08:50 PM
As has already been said, he's wearing a bow tie. /facepalm

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-20, 08:54 PM
Dorky, but I kinda like it.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-21, 05:11 AM
The thing is, yes the costume is a little dorky, but The Doctor is Dast Ulber-Geek. Allways has been. Even when he was Bohemian or Psychotic or Playing Cricket or a Space hobo he was clever and desperate to show that off. He knew things and found out things purely for the joy of knowing stuff.

The Doctor is Geek enough make a bow tie look right, by the same logic that the truly cool can wear pink and make it cool.

Bill Nye can too.

horngeek
2009-07-21, 05:18 AM
The thing is, yes the costume is a little dorky, but The Doctor is Dast Ulber-Geek. Allways has been. Even when he was Bohemian or Psychotic or Playing Cricket or a Space hobo he was clever and desperate to show that off. He knew things and found out things purely for the joy of knowing stuff.

The Doctor is Geek enough make a bow tie look right, by the same logic that the truly cool can wear pink and make it cool.

Bill Nye can too.

This.

The Doctor is so awesome that we let him get away with this sort of thing.

And the aforementioned celery.

magellan
2009-07-21, 09:31 AM
I actually really, really like that, should it be his typical Doctor costume. It's smart, suave, and very in keeping with much of the fashionable types that're floating round the British trendy high street right now, just with an old-fashioned twist.

But but but ... the doctor was always fashion resistant! One could argue that the most fashionable thing so far was patrick throughtons hair! He shouldnt be fashionable!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-21, 09:34 AM
The doctor is not a follower of fashion, he leads. Or is 800 years out of date. Depends when he is.

Eddums
2009-07-21, 02:24 PM
Ehh.

I'm not a fan of the bow-tie at all, but then I do like the shoes a lot. I also am in two minds as to the turned-up trousers.

In my mind, The Doctor should not look trendy, but he doesn't necessarily have to look geeky, or whatever. His look should make him stand out, but not to the extent of Colin Baker's, of course.

That, aside from Tennant himself, is one of the reasons I prefer the Tenth to the Ninth. The Ninth's outfit was just far too ordinary. Ten's is weird, and makes him stand out, but not the extent where people would be tempted to stare. :smalltongue:

pita
2009-07-21, 04:05 PM
My sister's upset. She's claiming her favorite show is ruined.
Best. Day. Ever.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-21, 04:07 PM
But but but ... the doctor was always fashion resistant! One could argue that the most fashionable thing so far was patrick throughtons hair! He shouldnt be fashionable!

Nine and ten were. Not immensely high chic, or anything, but their outfits wouldn't be out of place on a trendy Londoner!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-21, 04:56 PM
Well only two and six wore things that would never have looked in place on an average Londoner, and that is only because two was so scruffy.

Admittedly one was Edwardian in his look, but there was an Edwardian London. Three was a Dandy, Four a Bohemian and Five got lost on the way to Lords. Seven was every inch a misplaced academic eccentric and eight (what I remember of him anyway, I try and forget that TV movie) was a Romantic.

Eddums
2009-07-22, 05:39 AM
Changed my mind. Saw a full length picture of it in The Guardian today. Hate it. Way too geeky, way too fashion centric.

To be blunt, he looks like a twit.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-22, 05:39 AM
Oh dear. *goes to find his Guardian*

Eddums
2009-07-22, 05:40 AM
First page of G2. :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-22, 05:42 AM
OK, normally, I admit I'm a slave to Hadley Freeman's every whim. However, I disagree. I am happy to say that I don't hate this. Seeing it full length does dent the pride I initially saw in it earlier, but this isn't utterly hellish. Mm.

Eddums
2009-07-22, 05:58 AM
I don't care what Hadley Freeman thinks of it, by and large.

I just think it looks ridiculous. :smallfrown:

rubakhin
2009-07-22, 06:06 AM
He looks a tiny little bit like my little brother Ilya. I hate him in advance because I know this resemblance is going to bother me every time I look at him.

horngeek
2009-07-22, 07:05 AM
I like'im. I preferred the earlier pictures of him that we saw, but I like this one.

And I want Jenny to be one of his companions at some point in the future.