PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question...

Chimera245
2009-07-20, 03:52 AM
Just for the sake of arguement, assume you got the chance to make a character with the following abilities before racial adjustments:

18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 100.

Otherwise using only the 3.5 core rulebooks as written, and starting at level 1, what would be the best race/ class/ ability score placement/ feat selection/ etc. to create the most effective single-person party possible?

What about the most effective two-person party? Three person?

Killer Angel
2009-07-20, 04:03 AM
Just for the sake of arguement, assume you got the chance to make a character with the following abilities before racial adjustments:

18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 100.

Please, tell me that "100" is a typo...
'cause I can understand a very lucky roll serie (once I've seen 18, 18, 18, 17, 14, 13), but with 100 you are an uber-god

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-20, 04:04 AM
For a solo character starting at level 1, Strongheart Halfling Swordsage with TWF and Shadow Blade, the 100 would be on Dex. At level 3 get Weapon Finesse and be a sexy shoeless god of war. Use the Arcane Swordsage variant if possible just for better versatility.

A two-person party would probably be a Beguiler with Int 100 (max ranks in every skill) and probably the above Swordsage. A three-person party would probably add either a Druid or Cleric to that, or maybe a Warlock who spams debuffs like Blinding Eldritch Chain for which nothing would make the DC 50+ save.

kamikasei
2009-07-20, 04:09 AM
Core only? Probably a Wizard - the combination of spells and skills from a 100 in int. Maybe a Druid or Cleric, but neither get as much mileage out of that 100.

More generally, I agree with Biffoniacus Furiou.

MichielHagen
2009-07-20, 04:14 AM
A caster using "save or die"-spells seems the best choice to me.
To compare, only if the opponent has the 100 in the appropiate ability score can he make the save.
Though the one with 100 in dex will always go before the caster....oh well, celerity 4TW....

Eldariel
2009-07-20, 04:14 AM
Well, given that 100 stat caster basically autokills anything with a spell, any full caster would be perfect. Oh, and that's also a lot of bonus slots. Oh, and one-level Factotum-dip would be almost must for any Int-based type to max out everything.

Hm, then pick up Kung-Fu Genius, Faerie Mysteries Initiate and so on and walk around with your AC, HP, etc. in the hundreds by level 2. Human for all the feats.

EDIT: Changing my vote, Factotum. So much Factotum! Nothing gets as much out of a single stat as Factotum with some Inspiration. Then just enter anything and go to town. Enjoy being invisible and going first from level 3 on anyways while having AC, attack, damage, etc. in the 50s from the first level.

Obviously you need to pick up Font of Inspiration for just about every feat (those that aren't busy making your Int apply to everything; I think he wants two non-Font feats in Keen Intellect to apply it to Spot-checks and Faerie Mysteries Initiate to apply it to HP, although later on he may want Kung-Fu Genius to double up his AC) to ensure sufficient Inspiration. Then just go into a fast progression casting PrC a bit into the game (Beholder Mage is pretty good, or Chameleon failing that) and enjoy your Standard Actions.

kamikasei
2009-07-20, 04:17 AM
using only the 3.5 core rulebooks as written

It sucks, but them's the breaks.

Chimera245
2009-07-20, 04:21 AM
At first I was thinking some kinda spellcaster, but when I realized that spells don't do more damage with a high ability score, (just higher save DC and more of them per day) it didn't seem as cool anymore.

The most straightforward build that occurred to me is a 100 STR fighter (probably dual-wielding something) that deals about fifty damage with each hit.

Of course 100 WIS on a monk, or 100 DEX on...just about anyone would make them nearly impossible to hit. And 100 CHA on a paladin is practically immune to anything that grants a save...

Chimera245
2009-07-20, 04:26 AM
Oh, wow, super-ninja'd.

I forgot about Save-or-die. But are there any save-or-die spells that will definitely work on everyone? I mean disintegrate comes to mind, since it works on objects, but no 1st level caster will have access to it...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-20, 04:26 AM
Indeed, for core-only a Gnome Druid with Wis 100 would probably be the way to go. Never fail a spot/listen/survival/etc. check, start out with a wooden tower shield and stick to casting spells while your animal companion fights. Get a Monk's Belt asap and never get hit again. Use a Lesser Rod of Maximize when casting Poison since nothing will ever make the save, that should be enough of an I-win button until you get a real save-or-die.

MichielHagen
2009-07-20, 05:24 AM
Isn't Poison a lvl 3 spell?

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-20, 05:41 AM
100 Charisma Paladin 2/Monk 1/Sorcerer 17 with that feat that lets you switch your Monk AC bonus from Wisdom to Charisma. :smallamused:

Killer Angel
2009-07-20, 06:16 AM
Indeed, for core-only a Gnome Druid with Wis 100 would probably be the way to go. Never fail a spot/listen/survival/etc. check, start out with a wooden tower shield and stick to casting spells while your animal companion fights. Get a Monk's Belt asap and never get hit again. Use a Lesser Rod of Maximize when casting Poison since nothing will ever make the save, that should be enough of an I-win button until you get a real save-or-die.

This is powerful.

Well, the risk is to face some wizard and to fail the save on his Save-or-die spell in the first combat round.
Is possible to encounter an enemy prepared to face you, given the fame of a pc with a 100 in a stat...