PDA

View Full Version : Half-Aarakocra Half-Elf (Aarako)

Falon
2005-08-14, 07:45 AM
Half-Aarakocra Half-Elf (Aarako)
Aarako are the result of an Aarakocra and Elves spending a night together in passion. Physicly looking like and elf, the only obvious difference is their hair. Aarako have feathers for hair, some as long as peacocks to as short as a hummingbirds, all the colours of the rainbow, to the pitch black of a ravens. The feathers move with the Aarakos facial expressions and can produce some strange hair styles with strange moods.
The Aarakos have gone a little crazy however with their detachment from the sky, they love the thrill of speed and jumping and some believe that it’s better then flying. However, they are looked down upon by the Aarakocra, believing they are cursed.
Aarakos love to sing, and Aarakos bards can often be seen running through the streets singing about their love for life.

+ 4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, - 2 Strength, -2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom. Lightweight bone structure and the grace of the elven blood make the Aarako a delicate but lithe race.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Aarakos have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Aarako base land speed is 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision: An Aarako can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

+2 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, Perform: Sing, and Spot checks. Aarakos like to reach high places and jump, giving them the feeling of flying they so long for. Thus, they are constantly looking out for a good launching pad.

Climb and Jump use Dex instead of Str.

-2 circumstance penalty on all attack and skill roles when movement is restricted. Aarakos hate being confined anymore then they all ready are and panic when they don’t’ have the normal freedom of movement that they are used to.

-1 circumstance penalty on attack and skill roles if the Aarako has not moved more then 10ft within a minute. Even as they dream the Aarakos are moving, they become edgy when they are forced to sit or stand in one place for too long.
Aarakos fail all staring contests after 20 seconds.

Natural Abilities: Fast Movement
A Aarako’s land speed is faster than normal by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing light or no armor and carrying no more then a light load. This bonus does stack with the barbarian’s Fast Movement.

Automatic Languages: Common and (Elven or Auran).
Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic)
Favoured Class: Bard. A multiclass Aarakos Bard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

Level Adjustment: +1

The Glyphstone
2005-08-14, 08:03 AM
I'd say +1 LA as it is. Extra speed is very good, and you don't have any real disadvantages to counter it. Penalties when movement is restricted don't seem a big problem, especially since you don't define what "restricted movement" is exactly. And how, exactly, is losing staring contests an in-game disadvantage? ;D

Falon
2005-08-14, 08:10 AM
I'd say +1 LA as it is. Extra speed is very good, and you don't have any real disadvantages to counter it. Penalties when movement is restricted don't seem a big problem, especially since you don't define what "restricted movement" is exactly. And how, exactly, is losing staring contests an in-game disadvantage? ;D
I wasn't sure how to explain it, grappling, spells that stop or slow you, things like that.
The staring contest was something I was going to elaborate on in the text above but forgot. Because they are always pacing, stepping from foot to foot, looking all over the place and have trouble meeting someone’s gaze for very long they are distrusted.

Falon
2005-08-14, 08:36 AM
Changed it a bit, added +2 Cha but -2 Wis

TSGames
2005-08-14, 03:42 PM
I think it's extremely well balanced. The circumstance and movement penalties easily balance the +10 movement speed. The ability scores are also good, and by the way it was a fairly good physical description.

Premier
2005-08-14, 05:17 PM
Explain to me how exactly Aarakocra and Elves are supposed to produce an offspring?

Elves are mammals, last time I checked Aarakocra were egg-layers. Simply put, one doesn't have the thing that's meant to be put into the other.

Elf/human/dwarf/halfling/orc interbreeding is within the limits of being reasonable, since they're very similar to each other, kind of like dogs and wolves. Aarakocra and elves, however, are more like cats and birds - it just ain't gonna happen.

And Aarakocra don't even have any shapeshifting powers like dragons, so that method won't work either,

Falon
2005-08-14, 05:34 PM
is it possable to do +0.5?

LeifVignirsson
2005-08-14, 05:36 PM
Explain to me how exactly Aarakocra and Elves are supposed to produce an offspring?

Same way an Elf and a Unicorn get it on and make an Alicorn, per the rules of Green Ronins Bastards and Bloodlines. They have something like this in those pages and explain how to do this properly with reasonable explainations.

The other way is the use Mongoose Publishings "Crossbreeding" book to make the explaination really cook.

Trust me, they have some VERY weird things in those books, Cloakers getting it on with Halflings, Nagas getting it on with dwarves... just wrong...

Falon
2005-08-14, 05:36 PM

Elves are mammals, last time I checked Aarakocra were egg-layers. Simply put, one doesn't have the thing that's meant to be put into the other.

Elf/human/dwarf/halfling/orc interbreeding is within the limits of being reasonable, since they're very similar to each other, kind of like dogs and wolves. Aarakocra and elves, however, are more like cats and birds - it just ain't gonna happen.

And Aarakocra don't even have any shapeshifting powers like dragons, so that method won't work either,
Love knows no bounds!
.... Hey, look over there, a three headed monkey for you to disclaim the existence of!
*Runs away*

Zoena
2005-08-14, 05:39 PM
Two words: Immaculate Conception. If the gods get it into their heads that two races should be blended who are we mortals to argue? After you have a handful of starter stock they can at least breed with each other.

Umael
2005-08-15, 12:08 AM
*read*
*read*
*read*

I'm going to need more mental bleach.

Falon
2005-08-15, 12:28 AM
*read*
*read*
*read*

I'm going to need more mental bleach.
Plan on dyeing your brain as well huh?

AdInfinitum
2005-08-15, 12:52 AM
Two words: Immaculate Conception. If the gods get it into their heads that two races should be blended who are we mortals to argue? After you have a handful of starter stock they can at least breed with each other.

Gods nothing. Epic Spell: Origin of Species (Aarako).

Caelestion
2005-08-15, 05:30 AM
By strict rules, having a +4 to stat is worth a +1 LA, even if the rest of the character is balanced.
BTW, the Alicorn was the name for the unicorn's horn after it was cut off and turned into a magical item.

Cael.

Falon
2005-08-15, 05:40 AM
ok, made it +1 and added
"Climb and Jump use Dex instead of Str."
since it's silly that they do something that they wouldn't be good at. ><
It's like saying I get a +2 at maths. ;P

Ankhor
2005-08-16, 05:49 AM
why do they get -2 wisdom? is it because they have tiny bird brains?

Falon
2005-08-16, 06:06 AM
why do they get -2 wisdom? is it because they have tiny bird brains?
Nar, thats would be int.
They are not a race to think before they act, and are offen not paying attention to whats going on around them. (Or at least not for long.)