PDA

View Full Version : The three Fiends' philosophy found in Planescape

AyuVince
2009-07-20, 12:18 PM
I recently dug out my old Planescape handbooks. One of them, Faces of Evil, deals with the inhabitants of the Lower Planes. The introductory text for the Neutral Evil fiends, the Yugoloths, reminds me a lot of how our friends Lee, Nero and Cedrik think.

(Warning: wall of text incoming)

~~~~~~

To think like a yugoloth, you first have to empty your heart and mind of all you have learned in the past. You must achieve a state of unity with yourself, fully accepting all that you are today and all that you might be in the future.

Bid farewell to that self and float. Float in the darkness of your empty spirit. Now open the doors of your spirit and allow thoughts of Evil to filter in. Not "evil", mind you, but Evil. Petty larcenies and mild misdeeds mean nothing to you. You have your eyes on a much grander prize than the price of a mortal life. You want nothing less than the multiverse itself under your heel... yet still you are not the master of your destiny. After all, you have sold yourself to Evil. You are no more than a pawn on a chessboard, and no matter how high you strive to ascend, there will always be something mightier than you.

Does this then mean that you cease your striving? That recognizing your own insignificance means that you stop all struggle for life? It does not. Any effort you make, no matter how small, adds to the total. If you can tilt the balance with your weight, you seek to do so. And you seek to draw others to do so as well.

What means do you use to accomplish these ends? Bullying works well on the less intelligent and fearful. Sincere flattery works best on the insecure. Gold and gems win over those disposed toward greed. The offer of knowledge and power lures the would-be tyrants. You use any means at your disposal, always promising more. You draw all into your web, and once your pawns are trapped, you can place them anywhere on the playing field you desire.

Best of all, once the puppets have been gulled by seeing what they can achieve (remember to give them only a glimpse of that achievement, allowing them to do the actual work themselves), they'll pursue that end to the exclusion of all others. At that point, they're little more than rag dolls in your hands.

Some, of course, will not succumb to your blandishments. They are the better adversaries, the true challenges. Still, with foresight and planning - and perhaps even a bit of luck - the necessary factors will converge to drive the resistant foes straight into your arms.

Do you see? Though the yugoloths seek to become ascendant over all the creatures of the multiverse, though they jostle for position among themselves, their very lives are dedicated to the furthering of Evil. If they can add one more spirit to the side of darkness, if they can draw in millions of primes* with simple words and sacrifices, they'll do it. They hate to give anything of themselves but they'll do even that, if necessary.

In short, yugoloths are the worst kind of fanatics, the sort who tenaciously do whatever it takes to realize their goals. They've spent countless eons scheming to drag the multiverse toward the pole of Evil, and they've laid their webs in every corner of the planes. They love nothing more than a challenge, and they seek out - and annihilate - any and all challenges to the supremacy of their guiding force.

- the Unnamed

*(primes = mortals from the Prime Material Plane)

~~~~~~

Sounds a lot like the IFCC to me... what do you think?

Optimystik
2009-07-20, 12:28 PM
It makes sense that the IFCC, being a NE organization, would have been founded (or at least conceptualized) by NE entities. All it would have taken was one Arch-Yugoloth (Nero?) to think of all the potential being squandered on the Blood War to start making phone calls.

nihil8r
2009-07-20, 02:40 PM
planescape always has been and always will be the best campaign setting. it was about philosophy rather than mindless monster killing. what you believed actually could change the world.

King of Nowhere
2009-07-20, 05:03 PM
Don't seem that much of a similarity. They both wants to crush the multiverse beneath their heels, they both use other people for their goals, but there's no much more than that.

FrankNorman
2009-07-21, 01:10 PM
That "wall of text" reminded me of something. Hunting around on the net for a bit I found it (http://www.schwarzreport.org/ycttable.htm).

PonceAlyosha
2009-07-21, 01:14 PM
That "wall of text" reminded me of something. Hunting around on the net for a bit I found it (http://www.schwarzreport.org/ycttable.htm).

Trust the Yugoloth? Really interesting read though, thank you for linking to it.

FrankNorman
2009-07-21, 04:51 PM
Trust the Yugoloth? Really interesting read though, thank you for linking to it.

To quote (and paraphrase) from the article:
They are extremely trustworthy. You can trust a cancer cell to obey the laws of its lawless growth. You can trust an armed bank robber to take the money and try to escape. Similarly, you can trust the "Yugoloths" to act in accordance with the laws of their being.

wellington
2009-07-23, 03:29 AM
Am I the only one here who finds the comparison a bit distasteful? On the one hand, we have fictional creatures who serve evil because they are EEEEEVIL, and on the other, we have actual people who executed horrific atrocities in the name of plausibly good, but ultimately thwarted and twisted, ideals.

Anyway, that particular pamphlet seems to treat the Soviets less like Yugoloths than like some kind of Yugoloth/Illithid hybrid, so it's all moot.

AyuVince
2009-07-23, 06:19 AM
Let's hope McCarthyism never finds its way into the OotS world (although Miko came very close).

This paragraph in the yugoloth text is aimed at the PC heroes, in our case, the Order of the Stick.

Some, of course, will not succumb to your blandishments. They are the better adversaries, the true challenges. Still, with foresight and planning - and perhaps even a bit of luck - the necessary factors will converge to drive the resistant foes straight into your arms.
What necessary factors might drive the Order into the IFCC's arms? It already worked with one of them, but we have to remember that Vaarsuvius was already a bit unscrupulous before. Here's what I think:

:roy: - A critical situation in which he is forced to decide between saving the Order/Celia or destroying Xykon (or saving random innocents, think Spider-Man 1)

:haley: - Greed, but maybe also saving her father

:belkar: - DUH

:durkon: - A (false) message from his god/the high priests, maybe with the offer of redemption

:elan: - Difficult. Maybe an incident similar to Therkla's death.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-07-23, 06:31 AM
Let's hope McCarthyism never finds its way into the OotS world (although Miko came very close).

This paragraph in the yugoloth text is aimed at the PC heroes, in our case, the Order of the Stick.

What necessary factors might drive the Order into the IFCC's arms? It already worked with one of them, but we have to remember that Vaarsuvius was already a bit unscrupulous before. Here's what I think:

:roy: - A critical situation in which he is forced to decide between saving the Order/Celia or destroying Xykon (or saving random innocents, think Spider-Man 1)

:haley: - Greed, but maybe also saving her father

:durkon: - A (false) message from his god/the high priests, maybe with the offer of redemption

:elan: - Difficult. Maybe an incident similar to Therkla's death.

You forgot the most likely one. Deception. The IFCC is already manipulating them into to doing what they want them to.

If the OOTS ends up working for the IFCC (in some fashion more direct then their current one) the IFCC probably won't be the one obviously pulling the strings.

Demiurge
2009-07-25, 03:33 AM
Faces of Evil?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

FreakyCheeseMan
2009-07-27, 07:57 PM

I ain't so sure, actually... if it weren't for his expiration date, I'd put him down as the one least likely to serve the IFCC. He's evil, sure, but he doesn't care about a great mass of things, so it would be nigh-impossible to make him do something he didn't already want to. And he really, really hates being put in a box.

Edited to fix messed-up quotes... my first quote, too,, I so wanted it to go well...