PDA

View Full Version : Cool Re-Fluffing [All]

kjones
2009-07-20, 12:43 PM
My 4e wizard took the Phantom Bolt at-will spell. Normally, this creates an illusionary bolt - the target dives out of the way (slide 1 square). I decided that instead, I create an illusionary lasso - it picks them up and throws them 1 square. (Although, because it's an illusion, they only think that they're being thrown. Really, they're throwing themselves.)

What spells, abilities, etc. have you re-fluffed for extra awesome?

BRC
2009-07-20, 12:46 PM
I'm currently in a Time-Travel based campaign, so we refluff like crazy. My character is a robot that flies their Timeship (Schlock Mercenary Style). Stat-wise I'm a Warforged Factotum, but I have lots of fun refluffing my spells. Scorching Rays=Laser Beams. Opprotunistic Piety=Regnerative Nanobots. Tensers Transformation= Run Program: Comewithmeifyouwanttolive.exe.

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-20, 12:49 PM
Mutants and Masterminds almost requires that you refluff everything. The power descriptions are primarily mechanical with only vague suggestions or descriptions on how they function visually to the characters in this game. I have a blaster-type character who uses 'devices'. Among his powers is a fireball-like blast which can ignore any chosen targets in the area. I describe it as him tossing a small orb-like object into the air where it hovers and fires out lasers at the command of another device on his wrist which he must input coordinates on (using this attack is for him a full-round action due to flaws I've applied). The orb remains floating above the combat until the enemies are defeated.

The attack could just as easily be described in a hundred different ways.

obnoxious
sig

Tengu_temp
2009-07-20, 01:46 PM
Mutants and Masterminds almost requires that you refluff everything.

Not completely true. Mutants and Masterminds requires you that you make fluff for everything, as most powers lack any fluff to begin with. As it should be in such an open system.

As for the actual thread, in my 4e steampunk game I have a bard refluffed as a reporter, whose Eyebite* is fluffed as taking a flash photo, and a druid refluffed as an engineer - instead of wild shape, he's using a steam-powered exoskeleton.

* - Yeah, it's a warlock power. This campaign has quite a bit of houseruling.

Ninetail
2009-07-20, 04:51 PM
I've refluffed everything, since first edition... or, more accurately, since I first played HERO and got introduced to the concept of separating fluff from mechanics. (Hey, it was a big thing back then...)

Xefas
2009-07-20, 05:27 PM
I just ran a 3.5 one-shot adventure for some friends where I refluffed a Warblade wearing Wings of Flying and a few other integral magic items as a Valkyrie, a Warlock with proper invocations as a Demon, and an Ardent as a planeswalker whose mantles were his ability to draw forth planar essence and make it apart of himself.

Not big leaps, but it was kind of neat.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-20, 05:36 PM
I don't know if the separation of fluff and mechanic was first introduced in the Hero System but it certainly made it popular. 4e obviously makes use of this but the trend in D&D started way back in 3e and it was noticed early by some wise men...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.frp.dnd/browse_frm/thread/d41ee799c94646e1/c5f81695559e76c2?hl=en&tvc=1&q=heroization#c5f81695559e76c2

mint
2009-07-20, 06:53 PM
I'm currently in a Time-Travel based campaign, so we refluff like crazy. My character is a robot that flies their Timeship (Schlock Mercenary Style). Stat-wise I'm a Warforged Factotum, but I have lots of fun refluffing my spells. Scorching Rays=Laser Beams. Opprotunistic Piety=Regnerative Nanobots. Tensers Transformation= Run Program: Comewithmeifyouwanttolive.exe.

Well, that's awesome.