PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Invisibility Detection

Melamoto
2009-07-20, 03:48 PM
Can it be done in any way? Mainly See Invisibility is what i'm talking about, although other methods apply too. I am aware of Superior Invisibility, but I find it annoying that it takes an 8th level spell to stop a 2nd level spell (See Invisibility). Any way to do it, even if temporary or only to a certain extent?

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-20, 03:50 PM
Flour bombs! Seriously, mundane effects that either reveal the enemy or obscure their view of you can be quite helpful.

True seeing, invisibility purge, dust of appearance, fog effects may help...

:smallredface: Oops. I misread.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-20, 03:55 PM
Flour bombs! Seriously, mundane effects that either reveal the enemy or obscure their view of you can be quite helpful.

True seeing, invisibility purge, dust of appearance, fog effects may help...

I am mildly confused. Are you suggesting using True Seeing to prevent an enemy uncovering your invisibility? Unless I'm missing something major about the spell, that doesn't seem to make much sense...

Melamoto
2009-07-20, 04:00 PM
I think you misread it slightly, either as Stopping Invisibility, or Invisibility Detection. I was asking about how to stop people detecting you when you're invisible, as any character who focuses on using Invisibility in combat can get shot down by a 3rd level wizard.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-20, 04:00 PM
There's always pitch darkness and some effect that lets you see anyway. Example: Blacklight (Spell Compendium). It won't matter if the enemy has See Invisibility if they can't see anything.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-20, 04:04 PM
There's always pitch darkness and some effect that lets you see anyway. Example: Blacklight (Spell Compendium). It won't matter if the enemy has See Invisibility if they can't see anything.

True. You could also forget invisibility and stock up on blinding spells and abilities for a similar effect.

Alternatively, you can avoid any effect until true seeing if you can find some way of creating a continuous, changing illusion over yourself to make it seem like your space is empty. That nicely bypasses the wording of See Invisibility, which specifically doesn't reveal illusions. :smallbiggrin:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-20, 04:06 PM
Make them think that you are somewhere else.

Jack_Simth
2009-07-20, 04:30 PM
Well, there's the Invisible Spell Metamagic Feat (from Cityscape, page 61 - +0 spell level adjustment), that can be applied to anything that would block vision over a wide area - so if you put up, say, an Invisible Spell (Obscurring Mist) around yourself, anyone without See Invisibility sees nothing, anyone using See Invisibility "will see whatever visual manifestations typically accompany the spell" (from Cityscape, page 61). Which, in this case, means the mist... and that's opaque, so the person can't see effectively.

Potentially, Nondetection or Mind Blank will work, but it depends on how your DM parses things.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-20, 04:50 PM
Can it be done in any way? Mainly See Invisibility is what i'm talking about, although other methods apply too. I am aware of Superior Invisibility, but I find it annoying that it takes an 8th level spell to stop a 2nd level spell (See Invisibility). Any way to do it, even if temporary or only to a certain extent?

Well you could always use Lesser Globe of Invulnerability (4th level) and cast Mislead (6th level). The opposing caster can't see you with See Invisibility though he can probably detect the presence of the Lesser Globe of Invulnerability or find you with Blindsight ...

As for misdirection and non-detection, I don't think they would work but the Invisible Spell Metamagic feat is a good idea ...

JackQ
2009-07-20, 06:05 PM
There was a similar question last week on how to defeat True Seeing..

Psionics 3rd level power....False Sensory Input.
.....Because you override a victim’s senses, you can fool a victim who is using true seeing or some other method of gathering information, assuming you know that the victim is actively using such an effect and you can maintain concentration. ....

They get a will save but if they fail... no chance to detect you.

9mm
2009-07-20, 06:38 PM
Basic hiding in plain sight.

Yukitsu
2009-07-20, 07:08 PM
Casting blindness on them?

Yuki Akuma
2009-07-20, 07:15 PM
I second using Invisible Spell in conjunction with Obscuring Mist. Or maybe Darkness.

It's simply the coolest combo ever.

erikun
2009-07-20, 07:31 PM
Invisible Darkness wouldn't block True Seeing, but it would stop See Invisibility.

Your best defense against magical protection is mundane avoidance. Hiding isn't visible with See Invisibility or even True Seeing, and Mind Blank or Nondetection will prevent someone from using Locate Person (or something similar) to sniff you out.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-20, 07:52 PM
All that and still a 1st level spell may defeat invisibility. Listening Lorecall gives you blindsight if you have 10 ranks in listen.

Blindsight used to be 2nd level although that now is 3rd level like tremorsense.

Zaq
2009-07-20, 08:17 PM
Be a Spellthief, and "borrow" See Invisibility from them. Works on True Seeing, too. You just need a single sneak attack before your invisibility kicks in... I recommend wands of Wracking Touch.

Steal Spell Effect is possibly my favorite Spellthief ability.

Milskidasith
2009-07-20, 08:20 PM
Well, at least my fears that RSJ was actually a completely infallible modbot, biding his time until the robot revolution, have been quashed.

But more on topic: Extraordinary spell aimed AMF on you, then cast invisibility on yourself. Although this depends on the ruling, honestly; since effects are considered "suppressed," it is arguable that any magic would still go through the field and then hit you anyway.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-20, 09:53 PM
Invisible Darkness wouldn't block True Seeing, but it would stop See Invisibility. No, it wouldn't. Remember Darkness creates "shadowy illumination". That doesn't keep you from seeing; it just makes you see "dimly" -- which doesn't have any defined game limitations for sight (though it does have a miss chance for combat). You'll still be able to use See Invisibility as well as you can see non-invisible things.

Thurbane
2009-07-20, 10:19 PM
Dust of Disappearance: This dust looks just like dust of appearance and is typically stored in the same manner. A creature or object touched by it becomes invisible (as greater invisibility). Normal vision can’t see dusted creatures or objects, nor can they be detected by magical means, including see invisibility or invisibility purge. Dust of appearance, however, does reveal people and objects made invisible by dust of disappearance. Other factors, such as sound and smell, also allow possible detection.

The greater invisibility bestowed by the dust lasts for 2d6 rounds.The invisible creature doesn’t know when the duration will end.

Moderate illusion; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, greater invisibility; Price 3,500 gp.
...expensive option, though.

Frosty
2009-07-20, 10:53 PM
Cast Non-detection on yourself. Now they must succeed on a Caster Level check of 15+your caster level in order fro See Invis to work on you.

John Campbell
2009-07-20, 10:58 PM
No, it wouldn't. Remember Darkness creates "shadowy illumination". That doesn't keep you from seeing; it just makes you see "dimly" -- which doesn't have any defined game limitations for sight (though it does have a miss chance for combat).
... I knew that, but hadn't actually thought through the implications until just now.

Darkness doesn't reduce the light level in its area of effect; it sets it to "shadowy illumination", regardless of what it was before. That means that if you cast darkness in an area of actual darkness, it acts as a light source.

Like the illumination rules weren't messed up enough already...

Saph
2009-07-20, 11:01 PM
I actually think it's too easy to make yourself invisible in D&D. From personal experience, fights where one side can see and the other side can't do not make for fun encounters.

Seatbelt
2009-07-20, 11:09 PM
Shadow Weave Magic means that any divination that would detect your spells (such as see invisibility) require a caster level check of DC 11... or 13(?) + your caster level, or they just fail to notice you.

However, if you are the party's only arcane spellcaster and they rely on you for dispel, you are going to suck at it. Make sure they know this. :)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-20, 11:44 PM
I second using Invisible Spell in conjunction with Obscuring Mist. Or maybe Darkness.

It's simply the coolest combo ever.Well, if you have 2 castings...
Invisibility+Invisible Invisibility. Even True Seeing shouldn't get through that.

Note:May cause thrown DMGs and/or the rules afficianado's head to explode.

Gralamin
2009-07-20, 11:52 PM
Well, if you have 2 castings...
Invisibility+Invisible Invisibility. Even True Seeing shouldn't get through that.

Having just checked The description in Cityscape, this does indeed work (Because the "[typical] visual manifestation" of Invisibility is nothing, and it causes true-seeing/see invisibility to see the typical visual manifestation.) So, a second level spell with a +0 metamagic on it beats True seeing.

Surrealistik
2009-07-20, 11:59 PM
Well, if you have 2 castings...

As clever an abuse of RAW as it is, there is sadly no DM in the world who would let that fly. :(

Talic
2009-07-21, 12:21 AM
Obscuring Mist, a wall (including Wall of Fire/Wall of smoke).

In short, anything that creates something that's really there will bypass True Seeing, See Invisibility, and all of its ilk.

In addition, Obscuring Mist/Fog Cloud and its ilk create an effect similar to water. Well, similar in the same sense that invisible characters leave "holes" of nothing in the area, thus allowing you to pick out the invisible at close range.

In other words, it evens the playing field, and strongly nerfs ranged combatants.

Combined with Blindsight/Blindsense/etc, you can turn the tables on the invisible. Darkstalker will protect against those...

But mindsight/Touchsight have no easy counters.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-21, 02:09 AM
The spell Obscuring Snow in Frostburn is infallible if your DM doesn't use that book for opponents, though you'll need (a potion of) Snowsight to make the best use of it.

Person_Man
2009-07-21, 09:10 AM
If you have etherealness, flight, and flyby attack, you can fly out of a wall, use a standard action, and then fly back into a wall. With no line of sight, it's impossible for an enemy to target you.

Quietus
2009-07-21, 09:23 AM
... What happened to plain old Hide checks?

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-21, 09:29 AM
It's important to realize that "See invisibility" doesn't counteract invisibility. It only lets one person see you:

Wizard: (casts sees invisibility) He's right there (Points in a general direction) run up and hit him!
Barbarian: (runs up and swings her axe) Did I hit him?
Wizard: No, he's closer to me than that. In fact he is right in front of me. (Dies)

The easiest and simpliest way to get around "See invisibility" if you have Greater invisibility is to dispell it or kill the caster. Illusions are also great. If you have just invisibility, the best thing is to not be detected at all, that way the enemy won't suspect and won't cast that spell in the first place.
Since both invisibility and see invisibility are level 2 spells, it seems balanced well to me.
Now invisibility purge (Cleric spell) :smalleek: a level 3 spell that "Negates ALL forms of invisibility" at 5 feet per caster level. How do you get around that? Other than being out of range.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-21, 09:38 AM
... What happened to plain old Hide checks?
I think the point is that if you're worried about See Invisibility you've got the ability to cast spells, but not the ability to Hide (i.e., not enough skill). Hide is a superior solution if you can manage it, because it works regardless of magic: See Invisibility, Antimagic Field, True Seeing, and whatever. But if you don't have the skill, you need to look for the best of the lesser alternatives. Invisibility is a simple solution, but See Invisibility is its simple counter. Which is how we get to this thread.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-21, 11:58 AM
As clever an abuse of RAW as it is, there is sadly no DM in the world who would let that fly. :(

I would. I totally would. :smallbiggrin:

Invisible Invisibility is probably the most creative thing I've read on these boards in a while. And if a player wants to put that much effort into being invisible, I'd go ahead and let them.

If it ever gets out of hand, then there's always invisibility purge or area dispel magic.