PDA

View Full Version : If you could be transported into the D&D multiverse what life would you like to live?

Pika...
2009-07-20, 06:32 PM
Watching the old D&D cartoon series again, I got to wondering how many here also occasionally fantasize of living such a life, and more importantly what lives they would like to live (basically, the ultimate IRL "escapism").

Please share what kind of life would like to live (adventurer, a mage in his tower, a paladin's wondering life, etc), what class if you want any, and what race you'd like to be (anything from human to a mindflair).

Example, my desired D&D reincarnation:
What I would want to be is an elf/half-elf/or human, who is the devoted and trusted thrall of a drow priestess. The wickeder the better.

d13
2009-07-20, 06:43 PM
Arctic Elf Bard//Ranger/Beastmaster.

Arctic forests, animals, me, music... What else would I want? xD

Haven
2009-07-20, 07:19 PM
What I would want to be is an elf/half-elf/or human, who is the devoted and trusted thrall of a drow priestess. The wickeder the better.

I like the way you think.

After getting into Planescape, I imagined that my parents were an LE demon and dragon, and I was a CG Tiefling ranger and my little brother was a NE half-dragon rogue.

But my ideal reincarnation? Probably something with decent wisdom and charisma, both qualities I lack in RL in spades. Though I'd be happy with Ranger, Psion, Psychic Warrior...Paladin...Sorcerer...

I don't think I'd want to be an adventurer. Well, I wouldn't want to be the "find monsters, kill them, take their loot" kind. I'd want to be the kind that actually defends the innocent. I'd probably be a high-level town guard...except I would want to travel a lot. Which in D&D means I probably would end up doing a lot of killing.

Shadowbane
2009-07-20, 07:22 PM
I'd enjoy being an adventurer. I would attempt to turn myself into Ash Williams.

Hail to the king, baby!

Faulty
2009-07-20, 07:26 PM
I'd want to be an Elf or Half-Elf. I'd be a Beguiler, totally.

GrandMasterMe
2009-07-20, 07:32 PM
20th level dwarven aristocrat....be jealous :smallbiggrin:

Berserk Monk
2009-07-20, 07:32 PM
dwarf barbarian, and I'd join a nomadic tribe of barbarian warriors

rankrath
2009-07-20, 08:12 PM
I'd be one of the guys who sits in the corner of a local bar and dispenses quests.

ghost_warlock
2009-07-20, 08:16 PM
I think I'd most like to cast myself in a role similar to my IStLY namesake...although perhaps less evil and more grounded in "official" rules/settings:

I would begin life as a human peasant, working on my family's farm in service of some noble. As a teenager, however, I would feel and answer the call to become a paladin. After serving my time as an apprentice/squire and swearing my oaths, I would begin adventuring. I would focus my efforts on defending and working to empower the lower classes, the destitute and enslaved.

However, I would soon feel the sting of corruption and betrayal amongst my order. I would discover that several of my fellows and superiors pay only lip-service to the ideals of our order, instead abusing their power and station to attain personal wealth and privilege. When my attempts to expose the corruption undoubtedly fail, I would break my oaths and intentionally fall from grace in a (likely bloody) attempt at a coup. Met with failure, I would flee, likely being branded a traitor and blasphemer; agents of an inquisition combing the countryside to bring me to "justice."

I would forge a loose association with the Athar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athar) and, through their network of contacts, eventually meet the elan. Soon after, I would shed my humanity for a psionically-fueled existence and train with their mentors as an egoist.

Thereafter, I would renew my adventuring career, fighting for the downtrodden and striking blows against corruption wherever I find it. I would periodically change my appearance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) and seek new compatriats to evade detection by my enemies.

Mad Mask
2009-07-20, 08:26 PM
I would be a kobold divine minion 1/wizard 1/master of many forms 3.

What ? :smalltongue:

Faceist
2009-07-20, 09:02 PM
An epic level chaotic neutral human sorceror. I'd wander the countryside collecting skin from various monsters and build a castle out of them. Then I'd sit there all day on my fuzzy parapets, using passers-by as target practise for maximised lightning bolts.

thubby
2009-07-20, 09:08 PM
Neutral Good gnome wizard. I would probably spend a lot of time planes hopping

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-20, 09:41 PM
Good lord, I've written reams of pages about this sort of idea. Rarely a day goes by where I don't fantasize about living out live in a favorite game universe of mine. (Lately it's been a universe I'm actually going to try to turn into a book, but various D&D worlds, Rifts Earth, Shadowrun Earth, etc have all been quite common.)

Ideally I see myself as a force of nature - a Ranger who casts powerful spells and hits *hard* in melee. I'm actually partial to Wu Jen-style arcane spells rather than wisdom-based divine magic. This is a good thing for me - when my parents rolled up my character sheet, they made wisdom my dump stat. :smallsigh:

If I got to map out my career and ignore multi-class penalties, I'd go something like Neutral Good Ranger 1/ Barbarian 1/Wu Jen 4/Warblade 2/Abjurant Champion 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10. Not pure power, but definitely pure fun. Hang out in forests, practice elemental magics, help creatures in need and smite the smack outta giants and dragons. It'd be a good life. :smallsmile:

Thes Hunter
2009-07-20, 09:53 PM
I open the door to my apartment and step outside, distractedly I let the door shut behind me without realizing that outside doesn't look like it should.

Behind me the door has become a stone archway, and I am standing in a flower filled glade that hugs the shore of a mountain valley lake. I realize I have no idea where I am, how to get back, and all I have to survive on is the food that is on me.

I have that dream or a dream like it fairly often. I usually wake up before something really awesome happens, but usually I am in a D&D/fantasy world, and I come to grips with the fact that I am basically cut out to be a wizard/sorcerer/magic-user and not the warrior I would like to be.

But it is interesting to daydream about the value of the everyday things, would I be able to buy equipment with the value of the jewelry I am wearing? What would happen if the gnomes got a hold of my solar scientific calculator?

and etc. Yes it would be awesome to be transported into a fantasy world, but I would miss the toilet paper.

And being born into that world wouldn't be any good either, because I wouldn't know of the existence of toilet paper. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2009-07-20, 10:04 PM
Thes thinks like me. :smallbiggrin:

The "what D&D character are you?" quizzes invariably turn me into an NG half-elf bard or ranger. I could see myself in that role. I frequently envision myself appearing in a different world, either by myself or with one friend of mine or another, and I/we have to figure out how to survive.

Recaiden
2009-07-20, 10:09 PM
Studying magic as a human wizard, I'm sure. Although those quizzes keep saying ranger and druid. I don't think I have the sense of community for the demi-human races.

Pika...
2009-07-20, 10:15 PM
I like the way you think.

Thank you, though I am still debating with myself whether my fantasy of being the obedient slave of a sadistic dominatrix priestess of an evil deity is a bad sign of my mental state. :smallconfused:

A few friends have told me I have a thing for dominating women, so who knows.

Blue Ghost
2009-07-20, 10:33 PM
I'd probably be a wizard, working in a standard wizard's tower, but also a devout follower of a good god and a general champion of the cause of Good in my workplace. Probably not an adventurer though.

lvl 1 fighter
2009-07-20, 10:36 PM
I totally do this. Whenever I daydream about being in a dnd world I always imagine myself as being basically....me. While it would be cool to be a wizard or spellthief or a freakin dragonfire adept, I don't see myself like that.

Instead I usually go armed. My 1911 is always there but somedays I prefer my M4 over my 249. I don't have either of the last two with me now, but in my soldiering days those were the two I alternated between. And while for some reason I see myself going to Eberron with automatic weaponry I don't see myself as a warrior there. Instead I teach the people about about the 'magic' of science. Simple stuff that even I've remembered. Boyles law of gases. The laws of thermodynamics. Explain things like the electro/magnetic field and how to build a Tesla coil. Well, I wouldn't be able to build a Tesla coil. But imagine how freaked a wizard would be when they realize that light can be both a wave and a particle.

So yeah. When I daydream about planehopping out my door to Toril or Eberron, it's all about bringing the science with me.

Pernix
2009-07-20, 10:43 PM
Would you teach the townspeople science to save them from the Deadites?

I'd totally be a beholder. Mess your day up with eye contact

lvl 1 fighter
2009-07-20, 10:53 PM
Would you teach the townspeople science to save them from the Deadites?

I'd totally be a beholder. Mess your day up with eye contact

No, more like I'd help my wizard friends expand their understanding of magic through application of the scientific method.

Beholders? I'm not going anywhere near a dungeon. My place is living it up in my fresh, newly appointed Kings Science and Technical Advisor robes. Hanging out at the tavern, cracking jokes with the adventurers between their quests. That sounds about right.

Tharivol123
2009-07-20, 10:55 PM
I would probably be a sorcerer/diplomat, turned teacher of some sort. My career plan involves finding a job while I work on the post-grad degrees, eventually getting a job in international relations, then going back to my alma mater and teaching after ten years or so.

SurlySeraph
2009-07-20, 11:20 PM
I would be a paladin and stab evil things with a sword. I believe this would be a very simple and fulfilling life.

Thank you, though I am still debating with myself whether my fantasy of being the obedient slave of a sadistic dominatrix priestess of an evil deity is a bad sign of my mental state. :smallconfused:

Well, drow are kinda hot... >.>

Ecalsneerg
2009-07-20, 11:21 PM
Oooh, we get to pick a race.

Natural Werepanther Druid, probably swapping out Wild Shape for Druidic Avenger. I'd get to roam wild as an animal, or use magic to be in tune with nature. Sounds pretty cool.

FdL
2009-07-20, 11:38 PM
I won't get nerdy on this one and go with specific race and class stuff. I do think that with the way I am I would make a good wizard apprentice, or something like that. And would probably be torn between studying and adventuring or helping people. Or getting rich, why not.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-20, 11:57 PM

Why would wanting that be bad exactly?

And yes, this is meant to be a rhetorical question, because the details of this discussion would range beyond the boards rules. But the basic premise remains. So you like woman to grab you and use you in bed. What's so wrong with that? Perfectly normal within the range of weird that is actually rather common place.

I would be a paladin and stab evil things with a sword. I believe this would be a very simple and fulfilling life.

I think I see what you did there... and if so, Bravo sir.

Strawman
2009-07-21, 12:23 AM
I would be a druid, and I would spend all my time trying to one-up clerics.

Or more seriously, I would be a ranger/wizard and spend all my time travelling across nations and planes.

Rutskarn
2009-07-21, 12:28 AM
Domestic sorceror. Wouldn't bother with adventuring, or any of that nonsense. Would just abuse my powers for my own personal enjoyment.

Think I've got the charisma to pull it off as is, so I'll stick with my current personality/body makeup.

chiasaur11
2009-07-21, 12:29 AM
Pun-Pun.

Any problems and defects are kind of outweighed by omnipotence to whatever degree you fancy.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-21, 12:41 AM
I'd most want to be a Cleric because they are the best healers but Druid would be neat as well. As far as race is concerned, Vulpines, http://forum.mydndgame.com/index.php/topic,136.0.html , would probably be at the top of my list followed by Fenneckin, http://forum.mydndgame.com/index.php/topic,191.msg6400.html#msg6400 , then Lupins, http://www.pandius.com/lupin_mc.html (they may also have a North Pacific Native American style culture), a Gnoll (if the world was reasonably tollerant and I could use my LA 0 version), a Phanaton ( http://pandius.com/phanatn2.html ) or a Rakasta ( http://pandius.com/rakasta2.html ).

Being a Sorcerer, Favoured Soul, Archivist, Swordsage, Crusader or Wizard would be great as well. If I couldn't have PC levels, I'd want to be an Expert with ranks in Profession (Herbalism) and Heal. If I was a Cleric, Archivist or Favoured Soul, I'd want to mainly stay in a small town in order to heal people once I'd gained enough levels to cast Remove Disease. I'd want to do something similar if I was a Druid, but I'd probably end up living in a nearby forest while offering townspeople free Remove Disease and Plant Growth spells in exchange for not doing anything which would damage the environment. For the other classes I'd probably travel around more in order to help people. I'd also woerhip Ehlonna if she was a diety in whichever world I was in.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-21, 12:54 AM
Warforged wizard/cleric, researching the laws and principles of 'magic'. Sure, convention says you need a 5000 gold piece diamond for raise the dead, but what about several smaller ones? Or do you even truly need a diamond at all? Where do material components go, and where does the energy come from? Can I create a material that is like the material that makes up the world, yet will explode with extraordinary force if even the smallest amount comes in contact with anything of this world? What is this 'negative energy' and why does it harm living things, and yet heal undead and visa the versa? How can a conscious undead remember it's past life when it's brain is rotted? What are Gods, and how does worship affect them? Which came first, arcane or divine magic?
I have no idea, but I would love to find out!

potatocubed
2009-07-21, 01:20 AM
I'd be a sage who sells useful advice to adventurers. I mean, I've got most of the monster manuals committed to memory, plus various manuals of the planes. All I'd need would be a bit of local knowledge and I'd be set.

I'd also pick up as many levels of wizard as I could get away with, the better to defend myself from adventurers who don't want to pay.

Eldan
2009-07-21, 01:41 AM
Chaotic good sorcerer, hanging out in Arborea. Because I'd lvoe to have some charisma :smallwink:

Haven
2009-07-21, 02:41 AM

Aside from the "priestess of an evil deity" part (haven't considered that particular angle, though it might certainly be exciting), I'm about the same way. So yeah, nothing wrong with it. (Further discussion along these lines should probably be in PM)

A little more on topic: last time someone asked this question, I believe I mentioned Up The Walls. That feat would probably be one of the fun little things about going to a D&D world: the ability to run up the walls whenever you want? I would never stop.

Mad Mask
2009-07-21, 06:48 AM
Pun-Pun.

Any problems and defects are kind of outweighed by omnipotence to whatever degree you fancy.

I just said that earlier.

But not as direct as you. :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-21, 06:53 AM
Sorcerous power must be mine. Whether I'd actually be a sorceror is a different question, I could quite easily be one of those who strives to acquire surpreme arcane might through the medium of objects and artifacts - or, indeed, some sort of entity that steals or absorbs the magical powers of others.
Yet, most likely, I would be a mage - following the route I have so-longed for! But, dear fellows, what D&D god would I worship? None! Capricious, non-omnipotent entities, who, though not necessarily malicious, are most certainly undeserving objects of my faith. I would believe in them, of course, but not sacrifice myself to them in any form, most-likely, unless the offer of power was one I could not refuse. Gods are something to become, not to follow.
Alignment? I am unlikely to label myself so simply.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-21, 07:25 AM
Anything Immortal that doesn't have to fight. Maybe some sort outsider from a a good-aligned plane with a very mundane job of some sort. A celestial Janitor or something.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-21, 07:30 AM
Sorcerous power must be mine. Whether I'd actually be a sorceror is a different question, I could quite easily be one of those who strives to acquire surpreme arcane might through the medium of objects and artifacts - or, indeed, some sort of entity that steals or absorbs the magical powers of others.
Yet, most likely, I would be a mage - following the route I have so-longed for! But, dear fellows, what D&D god would I worship? None! Capricious, non-omnipotent entities, who, though not necessarily malicious, are most certainly undeserving objects of my faith. I would believe in them, of course, but not sacrifice myself to them in any form, most-likely, unless the offer of power was one I could not refuse. Gods are something to become, not to follow.
Alignment? I am unlikely to label myself so simply.

Intriguingly, though, after having mentioned this to friends, very different ideas were proffered. Hm.

arguskos
2009-07-21, 07:50 AM
Heh. Love this idea. I'd likely be that most wondrous and strange of races, a dvati (two souls, one body, best D&D race EVAR!!). Half of me would be deeply religious and faithful, proclaiming total faith in Amaunator, god of law and the sun. My other half would plumb the depths of arcana, learning all there is, was, and will be to know about magic.

My ideal world to do this in would be Faerun, since I love that setting.

Likely, Osahar/Imahe (my dvati names) would be an adventurer, since Amaunator dictates that I must bring the light of the Yellow God to those that don't have light of their own, and besides, where's all the best lore found? Dank, dark tombs and crypts, where the dead keep their secrets.

Mechanically, I'd be an Archivist 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 10/whatever X. One twin would cast only Archivist spells, and the other only Wizard.

Yes, I think about this a lot. :smallamused:

loopy
2009-07-21, 07:55 AM
Human Beguiler, no question. Everything I do normally, but with access to charm spells, illusions, and a dapper cape? Sold. :smallbiggrin:

Hell Puppi
2009-07-21, 08:16 AM
Hmmm....Shadowdancer/Assassin, Druid or some sort of warlock-y goodness?

The ability to create undead minions and hell puppies on command would be amazingly fun but greatly increases my chance of being fodder for some good party greatly increases. May be able to convince them that I'm mostly harmless and I just like hell puppies. This is mostly true.

An assassin would be tons of fun, I have to admit. Or maybe it's because I've played too much Oblivion. Also greatly increases my chances of ending up very dead.

Druid? Sure it sounds odd but...eh, screw it. I'd rather be a werewolf :smalltongue:

Lost Demiurge
2009-07-21, 08:36 AM
Three paths. One of three paths would please me to no end.

One path would involve staying human, but finding out that in a D&D setting I've got a serious knack for sorcery. If this is the path, then I'd live as I please. I'd do things for fun, and adventure as I liked. I'd probably become if not comfortable with killing, grudgingly accepting the fact that some sentient critters need to die.

The second path is a changeling artificer. This suits my love of variety just fine, and I could beat the laws of physics into submission by threatening them with magic. I wouldn't adventure if I took this option, so much as supply adventurers with clever little toys. And not just adventurers, but others as well... Faced with threat, I'd change and use a defensive array of items to escape, evade, and confuse.

The third path involves me bursting out of an eggshell, opening slit-pupilled eyes, and looking down upon blue or silver scales. I'd be a dragon, and all would be well with the world. I'd learn tricks to let me polymorph either at will or with a short ritual, and use these to infiltrate different peoples, and spend my existence learning about all the creatures of the world. I'd have millenia to do as I pleased, perhaps even spend a decade or two adventuring in a different form.

In all three roads, I'd try to find my way to Sigil after accumulating enough power to defend myself. That would let me get free from petty gods that I didn't care about, and put me in a place where I can use the belief-driven nature of the realm to protect me, as I build a base of operations in a reasonably tolerant and pleasantly anarchic atmosphere.

Eldan
2009-07-21, 08:42 AM
Yeah, hanging out in Sigil would also be nice inbetween adventuring in Arborea.

So, bonus question: if you could have one magic item with your character, what would it be?
Anything that grants flying sounds incredibly fun, but I might already get that with spells. I'm still tempted by the flying carpet, though.

Hylleddin
2009-07-21, 09:22 AM
Warforged wizard/cleric, researching the laws and principles of 'magic'. Sure, convention says you need a 5000 gold piece diamond for raise the dead, but what about several smaller ones? Or do you even truly need a diamond at all? Where do material components go, and where does the energy come from? Can I create a material that is like the material that makes up the world, yet will explode with extraordinary force if even the smallest amount comes in contact with anything of this world? What is this 'negative energy' and why does it harm living things, and yet heal undead and visa the versa? How can a conscious undead remember it's past life when it's brain is rotted? What are Gods, and how does worship affect them? Which came first, arcane or divine magic?
I have no idea, but I would love to find out!

This. Except I'd be an artificer or artificer/wizard.

As for where to live, while Mechanus would probably be most hospitable to this lifestyle, I couldn't stand living there. I think I'd hang out in the Astral. It has all sorts of interesting properties to examine. Elemental Plane of Air sounds like a pretty place. Elemental Plane of Lightning if I can get some lightning resistance.

arguskos
2009-07-21, 11:53 PM
Human Beguiler, no question. Everything I do normally, but with access to charm spells, illusions, and a dapper cape? Sold. :smallbiggrin:
Heh, you don't say. :smallamused:

Also, dapper capes indeed. Hell, I'd have as many as money could buy. :smallbiggrin:

EndlessWrath
2009-07-22, 01:47 AM
I'd like to say i would end up as a mighty druid or Paladin or some hero for good... but i have to many levels into bard to pull out now.
High charisma, High wisdom, decent to good con and int. average strength and dex. Either a wise sorcerer of mighty power, or an amusing but not entirely useful N bard who manipulates people to doing the right thing or the better thing (instead of doing it myself...too much work:smallamused:)

Edit:

might have to agree with loopy on this one. I might end up as this..but more charismatic, more... verbal influence.

Ichneumon
2009-07-22, 01:51 AM
I would want to be a LE Sorcerer or Warlock, who sits in his dark spiral tower, surrounded by thunder and demonic winged beasts flying over a river of poison, and me plotting world domination!

Coidzor
2009-07-22, 01:56 AM
Gish. Definitely a gish. I'd be reasonably competent in multiple areas, travel a lot. Have a reasonable number of skillpoints in social skills... hmm. I guess in a pinch I'd just be a factotum. haha.

I'd like to think that I'd enjoy the adventurer's life, or at least the parts of it that allowed the opportunity to flirt with and seduce beautiful female humanoids.

DarthCyberWolf
2009-07-22, 02:29 AM
Awakened Penguin Psion, probably going evil and trying to cover the world in ice to bring forth the Rise of the Penguins! Make the other races live in barren icy places living off nothing but fish. Ha! :smallyuk:

celestialkin
2009-07-22, 02:48 AM
Awakened Penguin Psion, probably going evil and trying to cover the world in ice to bring forth the Rise of the Penguins! Make the other races live in barren icy places living off nothing but fish. Ha! :smallyuk:

But, wouldn't those be your fishies?

arguskos
2009-07-22, 02:58 AM
Alternately to my previous entry, I might dig being a brachina (pleasure devil, sorta a super succubus/incubus). Really, it's basically the BEST DAMN JOB EVER. You get to have fun, corrupt souls, and just screw with morals (in every way possible for that phrase) for eternity. And yes, I'm secure enough to say in public that I'd like to be a "pleasure devil".

Perhaps being a consort to an archdevil, that might be good times (I prefer Dispater or Asmodeus personally).

Actually, being involved in Hell as a greater devil would be pretty good. Immortality, corrupting souls, tooling about Hell, I could rock it. :smallamused:

Ganurath
2009-07-22, 03:25 AM
Hmm... Cleric of Hextor. Middle rank, so I have the practical power to take care of myself, but not the hierarchal power to attract assassins or worse: Politicians. Probably the internal inquisition sort, to allow a factor of social manipulation.

For crunch, we're looking at Zen Archery, Reach Spell, and Easy Metamagic. Nothing says "submit" like a 30 ft whip of necromantic energy.

Bouregard
2009-07-22, 04:35 AM
Preferable a black dragon, oh but I will not try to melee any adventurers... Anyone try to steal from me has to drag it outside and then learns what, "death from above" means....

But from a realistic point of view, a poor commoner somewhere... I guess I will just trade...Oh and as a sidenote, half of my wares are cursed, poisoned and whatnot, only I will know whats good for you, if you try to rob me, have fun with that healing potion mostly made from water and red color.

Hey, maybe I will sell you fake healingpotions....

Exeson
2009-07-22, 04:53 AM
I know what I would want to be. That adventurer that the rest of his party secretly hates because he rolled ridiculously high for all of his ability scores.

>.>

<.<

Kaelaroth
2009-07-22, 04:55 AM
I know what I would want to be. That adventurer that the rest of his party secretly hates because he rolled ridiculously high for all of his ability scores.

>.>

<.<

Yeah, that seems likely enough. :smalltongue:

Exeson
2009-07-22, 05:29 AM
Yeah, that seems likely enough. :smalltongue:

Does that mean you secretly hate me? :smallfrown:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-22, 05:31 AM
Does that mean you secretly hate me? :smallfrown:

Quite the opposite, foo'. :smalltongue: Nah, I kid, I don't secretly hate you. As if I'd be part of your party, anyway. I'm likely too frail, or too consumed by arcane power by that point.

H. Zee
2009-07-22, 05:38 AM
I'd be the Dungeon Master. :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-07-22, 05:42 AM
I'd be the Dungeon Master. :smalltongue:

While this would be cool, I don't think it would be as fun.

I'd either be a Dwarven Fighter, I know, I'm predictable, a Half-Orc Ranger/Barbarian, a Hound Archon Paladin or a Elan (Psionic races aren't just limited to Psionic classes. :smalltongue:) Wizard.

Dwarven Fighter because I like them.
Half-Orc Ranger/Barbarian because that would be so cool.
Hound Archon Paladin because I'd have a dragon as a mount.
Elan Wizard because they have unlimited lifespans and the power to bend reality.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-22, 07:09 AM
I'd like to be a human Bard in the Spelljammer setting, eternally searching for the perfect wave!

Telonius
2009-07-22, 11:16 AM
Depends on the level, partially. But I would probably go with either human Bard, or Gnome Artificer. If we're going to FR, human cleric of Sharess. :smallcool:

Tyrant
2009-07-22, 10:30 PM
I would probably go for something bizarre (by real world standards anyway) like a Yuan Ti Abomination. I would probably take it a few steps farther and make that a half dragon. A half sand dragon maybe (brown dragon in 4.0).

If I recall correctly, since an abomination is large it will get wings from the half dragon template. Being a reptile (and a sand dragon hybrid) the desert would be an ideal living space (instead of some jungle like Chult). I am not sure which desert I would prefer. The Anauroch desert (if there is a desert after the Netherese returned) is close to some prime locations like Cormyr, Waterdeep, Neverwinter, etc which would make studying magic easier. I'm not quite as knowledgable as to what is in and around the southern desert (don't even know it's name off hand).

I could fly and burrow in the sand. I could blow out a sand blast and have awesome starting stats. From there, I suppose Sorcorer or Wizard would be the way to go. A few fighter levels to better know how to use my size to my advantage in the fights that will happen by virtue of me being there (you just know some adventurers will hear about a powerful yuan ti roaming the desert and get some fool idea to go and try to kill it). Maybe something like Eldritch Knight to get a little of both.

Using my power I suppose I would set up a lair/home base and search the desert for buried civilizations/ruins/relics/etc. Maybe try my hand at adventuring. Of course that would be somewhat dependant on if we retain our present knowledge which would include things like the rules that tell us that to become stronger we need more XP and adventuring is a great way to come by XP. I wouldn't start off evil, but I would honestly keep my options open. I suppose if I got bored I could always attempt to take over one of the Yuan Ti clans or something after trying to study arcane lore across the FR. I suppose doing something like trying to reassemble the remains of the Zhentarum or gathering the now exiled Red Wizards together again as a real power. Shape shifting spells would be a priority because I believe most people would be a little nervous dealing directly with a Yuan Ti claiming to not be evil (one claiming to be evil will at least let everyone know which side it is really on and they won't be nervously waiting for the double cross). If I still had more I wanted to do many, many years down the line (no clue how long such a hybrid would normally live), Lichdom is something I would probably pursue.

Basically I think if I could choose anything I would go for something that is completely impossible in our world and spend my time dealing with other impossible things (magic, the planes, etc). Human would be just about my last choice.

Lupy
2009-07-22, 11:08 PM
I'd like to be the village priest in a quiet little village in a quiet little kingdom somewhere... Yeah, that'd be pretty nice.

Recaiden
2009-07-22, 11:24 PM
I'd like to be the village priest in a quiet little village in a quiet little kingdom somewhere... Yeah, that'd be pretty nice.

Not some sort of Archbishop?:smalltongue:

Lupy
2009-07-22, 11:48 PM
Not some sort of Archbishop?:smalltongue:

No, no, I'd really rather not upset him. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2009-07-23, 01:42 AM
Lets see

Class
Swordsage/barbarian with the berserker strength class variant.

Basically a monk like swordsman with a berserk button.

Race
Human more than likely, although an orc might be cool depending on how their represented in the setting.

Raz_Fox
2009-07-23, 10:34 AM
I'd definitely be a Bard, with a bit of Rogue multiclassed in - a devoted storyteller with a lot of minor talents, mixed with a sneaky demeanor and some dishonest flair. Race-wise, I'd love to be an Elf or a Shifter.

czisan
2009-07-25, 02:46 PM
first post for me!

hmmm... Probably a Demonbred Gray-Elf... Wizard of course ^_^ (spellcasting ftw!) I would adventure to build wealth and obtain knowledge of the arcane arts, while building an obsidian tower at the top of a mountain... preferably a mountain that once housed a dwarven kingdom and is now filled with undead minions, constructs and goblin and orc slave soldiers... *gets a whimsical look in his eye* aaaah yes... the ability to indulge in all my little conquer the world daydreams....

loopy
2009-07-25, 03:01 PM
I'd definitely be a Bard, with a bit of Rogue multiclassed in - a devoted storyteller with a lot of minor talents, mixed with a sneaky demeanor and some dishonest flair. Race-wise, I'd love to be an Elf or a Shifter.

I must say, I'm rather interested to see how few people have picked the rogue/bard/beguiler path. Would have thought the romantic portrayal of thievery and cunning characters would have won more over. :smallsmile:

wykydtron
2009-07-27, 12:21 AM
I'd be one of the guys who sits in the corner of a local bar and dispenses quests.

This made my day, thank you.

orchitect
2009-07-28, 10:34 PM
I take it I'm one of the few people who would want to be a bugbear, eh?

eidreff
2009-07-29, 02:30 PM

I'd like to be a hermit that lives is the quite, rolling hills near aforementioned kingdom, which for some reason have never been inhabited but orcs, trolls, goblins, kobolds, dire-beasties of any nature etc etc..

And play guitar to myself.

Castaras
2009-07-29, 02:37 PM
I'd probably be a true neutral / chaotic neutral drow wizard / sorcerer. Who ignores the rest of the world in favour of playing about with magic and furthering my studies. Books books books and more books. Possibly a loremaster / mystic theurge as well.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-29, 02:42 PM
I take it I'm one of the few people who would want to be a bugbear, eh?

Bugbears look awesome but that's all they got going for them. Too much fighting, too much danger. I don't know about anyone else but I like not having my life threatened on a daily basis.

Hence why I'd want to be something that never ages and stays far, far, far away from trouble.

Achilles
2009-07-29, 03:02 PM
Being an epic level Druid would be what I would totally want to be. Maybe an Epic Level Psion and build my dungeon around an idea like House of Leaves. In all honesty though, I'd probably be a mid-level rogue who lives in the city and lives on his wits.

Kcalehc
2009-07-29, 03:03 PM
Human, engineer, or plain old guardsman. Nothing too fancy for me, adventuring life seems like way too much walking and sleeping rough. Give me a nice steady job, with decent pay and a warm bed every night.

D_Lord
2009-07-30, 12:43 AM
Elder Evil that can turn the omen on and off. Otherwise, I would have too many things bothering me, but I'll have the power to change the world at anytime I wanted.

Cyrano
2009-07-30, 12:51 AM
I'd like to be Jimi Hendrix.

Elminster1
2009-07-30, 12:52 AM
Elven Wizard. I mean, come on :smallsmile:

horngeek
2009-07-30, 01:37 AM
Gold Dragon. Hoard would be partially a library.

Zanaril
2009-07-30, 06:30 AM
You know that dark tower on the hill? The one surrounded by unclimable cliffs and an impassible forest? The one that - legend has it - is inhabited by an immortal magic user of unimaginable arcane power? Yea that one.

That's my holiday home.

Yes I have internet connection up there.