PDA

View Full Version : Lycantrophe question

PrGo
2009-07-20, 06:54 PM
I was wondering, can a lycantrophe speak while in his hybrid form? Is there some book or article that says something about that topic specifically or is it up to the DM's opinion?

Thanks in advance

holywhippet
2009-07-20, 07:01 PM
I don't know of any specific rule either way, but I'd say they can communicate in hybrid form as they are "human" enough to wield weapons.

Yuki Akuma
2009-07-20, 07:12 PM
In hybrid form, you can't cast spells with verbal components.

Make of that what you will.

Anxe
2009-07-20, 07:14 PM
The 3.0 adventure module, Speaker in Dreams, had wererats that talked while in Hybrid form.

Worira
2009-07-20, 07:14 PM
Wolf feeder?

PrGo
2009-07-21, 06:01 AM
I know about that they can't cast spells with verbal components, which would make it obvious that they can't talk in the form, but I've seen in some books examples of lycanthropes talking. Like in the Secrets of Xen'drik, the art of the first chapter. I know that that may just be how the artist thought would be cooler, but it leaves a hint of suspicion.

Fhaolan
2009-07-21, 10:53 AM
There are no rules specified about this in D&D.

Most other game systems usually have the hybrid able to speak, but the voice is distorted to some degree. Usually enough to be very distinctive, and some to the point of being almost unintelligbile.

A few game systems say that all form of the lycanthrope can speak, even the full animal form.

In most fictional sources, the hybrid form is only hybrid physically, the mind is fully animal. And to be honest, most classic lycanthropic stories there is no hybrid form. You are fully animal or fully human. As such the ability to speak in the hybrid form is somewhat moot.