PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a virus?

Sucrose
2009-07-20, 08:37 PM
As this forum has consistently provided good advice when I've asked for it, I have another difficulty that I would like to ask about.

For some reason, I'm being required to log in multiple times for every site that I frequent, even after I've adjusted the settings to "remember me." This doesn't happen immediately; for example, as long as my computer is on, I tend to be able to get back here as Sucrose pretty much instantaneously. However, once I restart my computer, all such cookies are erased. Do I have a virus of some kind, or do the updates for Internet Explorer and Windows XP have something that would cause this?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Icewalker
2009-07-20, 09:25 PM
Sounds more like a settings issue than a virus. Something that resets data in certain conditions.

Now, I'm not anything remotely resembling someone who knows what he's talking about on this subject, so don't take my word on it.

RTGoodman
2009-07-20, 09:31 PM
Try clearing your browser cache. In Firefox, it's Tools -> Clear Recent History -> Clear Now. In IE, I have no idea, but it's probably through a "Tools" or "Options" tab or similar. Probably won't work, but it's always worth a try.

If it doesn't, try a different browser. If you normally use Firefox, try IE. If you normally use IE, go download Firefox. And so on. If it happens with all of the browsers, I'm not sure; if it's only with one, then it's probably a settings problem.

If you narrow it down to one browser, make sure you don't have an option turned on somewhere to Clear History When Firefox Closes or something like that. (To turn that one off, Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Uncheck "Clear History When Firefox Closes".)

Zherog
2009-07-20, 09:32 PM
Some browsers have a setting to clear personal data when you exit the program. That would cause what you describe.

edit: in Firefox, it's Tools -> Options; go to the Privacy tab. The bottom section is labeled Private Data. The first element in that section is [b]Always clear my private data when I close Firefox." If you have that checked, uncheck it and see if the problem goes away.

Jack Squat
2009-07-20, 09:35 PM
It's probably something to do with cookies, possibly a site you're logging in to (I'm seeing something that says that Microsoft's Outlook Web Express will wipe all cookies and not just it's own). That really doesn't seem like something a virus would do.

Have you tried it in a different browser? I ask because I know the people berating you for using IE will be here in 3, 2, 1... :smalltongue:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-20, 09:35 PM
Try checking your cookies. I recently had the same problem with a few forums, and when I checked my cookies I discovered the sites had changed their cookies from expiring at various times to "expires at end of session." I set them to expire in October 2012 back in January, and I haven't been logged out since.

RS14
2009-07-20, 09:46 PM
If you're using Firefox and it does turn out to be an issue with clearing cookies as you exit, note that you can manually add an exception ('allow') for certain sites if you want their cookies to persist. Additionally disable the option to clear cookies on exit (under private data) and set the default for cookies to be to "keep them until I close Firefox."

Sucrose
2009-07-20, 09:48 PM
Some browsers have a setting to clear personal data when you exit the program. That would cause what you describe.

edit: in Firefox, it's Tools -> Options; go to the Privacy tab. The bottom section is labeled Private Data. The first element in that section is [b]Always clear my private data when I close Firefox." If you have that checked, uncheck it and see if the problem goes away.

Unfortunately, the box is already clicked off. The IE updates thing was essentially because I can; I always use Firefox.

How does one change the expiration date of one's cookies?

RS14
2009-07-20, 10:23 PM
Preferences->Privacy: Cookies: Keep Until may be relevant.

Sucrose
2009-07-20, 10:26 PM
Preferences->Privacy: Cookies: Keep Until may be relevant.

Thank you for the advice; I've done so, and I guess I'll see how it works! I'll let you know if it's done all right for me in the morning.

Edit: It still hasn't worked.

Telonius
2009-07-21, 11:42 AM
Try Tools -> Options -> Private Data/Settings, and make sure Cookies is unchecked. Might not help, since it shouldn't be clearing your private data anyway, but if you have some random other privacy setting - or an overzealous virus protection program - it might work.

On that note, check your antivirus software to make sure it's not set to delete cookies on reboot.

Shikton
2009-07-21, 11:48 AM
You COULD try to clear all cookies. It'll definitely reset all your previously filled password forms, but that's your problem now anyway =P

(Only skimmed through the thread, so if already suggested, ignore my advice.)

MethosH
2009-07-21, 02:56 PM
Most people would just tell you to stop using IE.... They are probably right. But if you MUST use it... most of us would point to a possible cookie problem. If that isn't the case there are always the chance of corrupt files. I don't really know much about how IE works, so I can't help with IE corrupt files.. but thats an idea if the cookies fail.

Sucrose
2009-07-21, 04:13 PM
As I said before, I don't use IE, I do use Firefox. It's just that there were free updates for IE, and I figured that I may as well download them while also downloading my updates for my desktop. I asked about it because that happened more recently than my last Firefox update.

That said, I've cleared my cookies entirely, so I'll have to see if that does any good. Thank you for the advice, everyone.

Edit: Still a no go. I guess that it's probably a settings issue with my computer, rather than my browser. If anyone has any idea how I can deal with that, I'd love to hear it.