PDA

View Full Version : Gnomish Keyboards

Spuddly
2005-08-04, 01:10 AM
We all know that gnomes throw the best raves, but I was wondering how much it would cost to construct one of their keyboards.

I mean, all those Ghost Sounds permanently stuck in there would get pretty steep, and a perma levitation/command word on the keyboard to make it adventure handy wouldn't be cheap, either.

Yuki Akuma
2005-08-04, 07:10 AM
...Ooookay. Let's see...

Assume 48 keys (that's four octaves, plenty for playing any but the most complicated tune). Each key is enchanted with a use-activated Ghost Sound effect, which ceases as soon as the key is released.

The cost for one use-activated effect is (spell level * caster level * 2,000 gp). For a 0-level spell with the lowest possible caster level (1/2 * 1 * 2000 = 1000), this comes to 1000 gp. The keyboard has 48 of these effects, so 48,000 gp so far.

Next, the levitate spell. Levitate is second level, and the forumla for continuous is the same for use-activated. The lowest level you can be to cast a level 2 spell is level three. So: (2 * 3 * 2000 = 12,000 gp).

That's 60,000 gp so far. The item doesn't take up any space, so we multiply the cost by two: 120,000 gp in total.

So: CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Ghost Sound, Levitate; Price 120,000 gp; Cost to create: 60,000 gp + 4,800 XP.

Rather a useless item, really (all it is is a handy, portable piano). Might wanna throw in something else. :P A fascinate effect if you make a DC 15 Perform (piano) check, for example.

AdInfinitum
2005-08-04, 07:37 AM
Some sort of increased caster level under the influence of drugs from BoVD?

MrNexx
2005-08-04, 09:30 AM
Assume 48 keys (that's four octaves, plenty for playing any but the most complicated tune). Each key is enchanted with a use-activated Ghost Sound effect, which ceases as soon as the key is released.

Why not have it run by a single ghost sound spell and make it skill-activated? That way, you don't have to singly enchant every key, just make it controlled by the keyboard (like a Rod of Lordly Might is controlled by its buttons).

Next, the levitate spell. Levitate is second level, and the forumla for continuous is the same for use-activated. The lowest level you can be to cast a level 2 spell is level three. So: (2 * 3 * 2000 = 12,000 gp).

How about Tenser's Floating disk, instead (I doubt it would be light enough for mage hand)? It's a lower-level spell, meaning you can get away with a lower caster level.

Dalcassius
2005-08-04, 09:58 AM
I agree with Nexx. Just enchant the keyboard. 1000g. Tie it to skill if need be. As for the levitate spell, well it can be put on a spell book (see Compete Arcane) for 2000gp, I'd assume something similar here. For for a MUCH more reasonable 3000gp you get your magic keyboard. Why you would want it, or a DM would allow a keyboard are beyond me. But if you want to "rave" as it were, the fascinate takes all the work out. Through in dancing lights that react to a specific keystroke combination and perhaps it and the ghost sound effect can give you a circumstance bonus to your perform check.

endoperez
2005-08-04, 02:35 PM
Aargh! I just had to register, just to comment on this. I managed to resist the temptation during Rich's hospital visit. I managed to resist the first rpg-themed thread that really caught my interest. I managed to resist the character discussions. But this comes too close to an idea/dream I had a few days ago, after checking out the OOTS and reading the Gaming forum in here...

A bard, probably gnomish and/or illusionist, possibly even illusionist that only takes one/few levels of bard, that:

has constant background music playing around him.

He enters a city, and a playful tune goes on and around. Enter an inn, and it becomes catchy music one could easily dance for. During rain, the music is low and moody and depressing. Give him a drink, and it just goes crazy. Get a priest to try and clear his head, and get a melodramatic, Bach-esque trembling. Force him to sneak, and slow, ever-so-slight (*he* would have to a hard time noticing it) tingles accompany every step he takes.

I thought it might be something like melodica-sized magical keyboard, carried on one's belt and either connected to its owner's mind or beginning of the melody unconsciously played with a free hand.

And now you have it here! Spooky! :D

Gamebird
2005-08-04, 02:47 PM
You could toss in Dancing Lights and a variant Ventriloquism that would "throw" the music, sort of like surround-sound.

I'd say that if you wanted to get some harmonics going, it would take more than one Ghost Sound enchanted into the same keyboard, but I wouldn't think you'd need 48 of them. Maybe one per octave?

And I'd stick with the Tenser's Disk. Maybe see if the DM will allow a custom modification to the disk so it has the form of a piano chair for the player while holding the keyboard at the appropriate height.

It's a fabulous item. I love it.

Spuddly
2005-08-05, 12:31 AM
Exactly endoperez! It may not be the best item for power-gaming, but it would be incredibly badass! Constant mood music, wherever. Incredibly versatile. I could bring actual dance music and the like to gaming sessions.

"Alright, I bust out Insidious Rhythm on my keyboard." Cue Daft Punk....

Besides that, the keyboard would definitely count as masterwork and confer a +2 bonus. I've gotta talk this over with my DM, though. See if he'll let me get away with such a cheap item with incredible potential.

Thanks all for helping with pricing.