PDA

View Full Version : scribe scroll and augment healing

Jimbob
2009-07-21, 01:20 AM
Morning all,

I have a quick question, my cleric/wizard wants to scribe some scrolls of CLW and CMW and I know that you create a scroll with caster level x spell level x 25 but reading Augment healing it does not increase your caster level so can I scribe a scroll of CLW at 1D8+3 at no extra cost?

Just need to clear this up before I play next as the DM is not sure himself.

Thanks very much

Autopsibiofeeder
2009-07-21, 02:23 AM
I am not aware of any rules about this specific thing, but if you consider the Warmage with its Warmage Edge ability (which adds a fixed bonus to damage spells) as analogue it would not be possible to benefit from it. You cannot put Warmage Edge into a scroll and if you cast a spell from a scroll, Warmage Edge does not apply.

Hence, I would personally rule that the ability does not confer to scrolls and does not kick in when reading a scroll. Perhaps you can convince your DM that it does apply when you cast a healing spell from a scroll you wrote, but only then. I would still think that is not intended, but as DM, I would not have big issues with that.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-21, 03:48 AM
I'd say that would make sense as well due to the ability being concerned with boosting spells which you cast personally (I'm guessing Augment Summoning would be the same).

Talic
2009-07-21, 04:01 AM
The feat Residual Metamagic deals with many aspects described here.

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-21, 04:18 AM
The feat Residual Metamagic deals with many aspects described here.

Looking over that feat, I'm not sure how it's relevant. It's possible that I missed something.

The Warmage Edge ability is a very good basis for Augment Healing. While a character can include metamagic feats in a scroll (by using the spell level + the metamagic level to determine spell level in creation cost), other special abilities cannot be placed in the item.

By the same token, a necromancer with the various Corpsecrafter feats could not write a scroll that created the augmented undead that application of his feats would result in.

So... what Autopsibiofeeder said.

obnoxious
sig

Fixer
2009-07-21, 07:26 AM
Augment Healing is a general feat, so you cannot 'put' it into a scroll when it is created. Period.

Augment Healing allow you to augment any Conjuration[Healing] spell you cast.

This means that if you cast a spell from a scroll or other spell completion item, you can use the feat with it, because you are casting a spell, *IF* the GM is ok with it. The fact that the spell's power is determined by the scroll and not your personal levels could be a deciding factor as to whether or not it would be allowed. This is a GM call.

If you use a spell trigger or command word item to 'cast' a healing spell, you cannot use the feat with it. You are not casting the spell, you are triggering an item.

Keld Denar
2009-07-21, 10:13 AM
Not with Spell Completion items (scrolls) but feats like Augemented Healing do work with Spell Trigger items like wands. This is notated in the FAQ.