PDA

View Full Version : Mines of Eshina IC thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 08:07 AM
Okay you lucky five. You have been informed by a frantic populace that there is something lurking down in the mines, and they believe it is eating the miners. They've even sent down a paladin, but he didn't come up again. They promise you each 1000 gp if you can slay the monster, as the mine is the main livelihood for most of the villagers, and they implore you to help them.

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 08:21 AM
Solomon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=140384)

The imposing figure of a set of full plate armour, brandishing a golden axe.
"Trust me, where the previous Paladin failed, me and my..." He thinks for a moment, he only met these people in the nearby wilderness a few days ago... After the attack- NO don't think about that now, your duty is to Athena But he knew he should trust them, they had provided him with shelter while he was still recovering, as far as he was concerned, they were his friends. "... Colleagues will not, I shall strike down whatever beast dwells in the mines." For Athena. For Heather. And for my fallen comrades. I shall prevail
---
OOC:
-Thoughts are in italics
-I'm presuming this is a few days after we meet up

Jair Barik
2009-07-21, 08:25 AM
"Haha we shall destroy the beast no matter what it be. It shall be dead by the comin of tha next sun. We shall smite it down where eva it stands!"

The pale dwarf swings about his waraxe dramatically as he says this then thunps his hand against his plate mail to emphasise the point.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-21, 09:01 AM
Michael rolled his eyes at the paler dwarf's bombastic boasting; did he really need to go on so much about destruction and suchlike? Besides, wasn't he a cleric, a servant of the good gods, a wimp destined to ever obsess about Freedom and Goodness and all that rubbish? Why, then, was he giving the opposite impression in his manner talking to the new group's new customers?

Indeed, the rogue had little reason to truly trust any of the others; he'd been hired as a guide, yes, but that contract was ended, so they had no compelling immediate reason to not jump him and take his stuff should they so desire. Sure, it would be a little out of character for the paladin, the destruction-fixated cleric, the most organised druid he'd seen in ages, and a swordsman with a few magic tricks to all trust eachother enough to gank him, but he had to stay prepared. Had to fear the paladin's power to detect where his true allegiance lay.

"Rest assured, the mines will be safe again soon. Do you happen to know of anyone with a map of the mines?"

---

OOC: Rolling in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6545507&posted=1#post6545507) for Gather Information. I got a 15.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 10:18 AM
Claes
"Your gold is unnecessary, it would be my pleasure to preserve good people such as yourselves." Claes prepared spells and listened closely to what the rest of the team had to say. Claes also says something to Brin the wolf and he takes off towards the forest, his directions are to scout around the entrance and come back to tell us if there is anything out of sorts.

Claes turned to the others. "Let us not forget, we don't know anything about this "Beast". If we're just getting worked up over a family of dire ground squirrels this could be taken care of within the hour!"

Jair Barik
2009-07-21, 10:56 AM
"Show me the way to tha mines and i'll show ye some dead beasties, eh?"

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 11:20 AM
Solomon looks at the Cleric with an eyebrow raised Well, he's probably just excited about exacting righteous justice onto the vile creatures... No need to betray his trust and Detect Evil. "So, shall we be off, or are we waiting on anything?"

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 11:27 AM
Claes

With a sigh of dejection Claes starts gathering up gear and breaking camp. It's not so much that the group was hard to fit into it, it was just the matter of finding one's niche. And it seemed like Claes's niche was to be the unheard voice of reason and moderation. It does feel great doing the right thing though thought Claes.

"Ready when you are, everybody."

Omegonthesane
2009-07-21, 11:38 AM
"And if we're getting worked up over a dragon, or a devil? We don't know anything about this 'Beast', so we should be as careful as we possibly can." Michael glanced at the paladin, when he'd got suspicious about the cleric; clearly, he was considering his infamous Detect Evil trick... then he asked if they were waiting on anything. "I believe we are waiting on one thing. I would rather have a map of the mines than not. Surely the village where every man is a miner knows roughly what the innards of it look like. Perhaps you'd like to help me find one?"

Invitation for Solomon - or anyone else - to Aid Another on my Gather Information check to get a map. I got a 15, so I should only need one or two - how high is the DC for finding a map of the village's cash mines?

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 11:52 AM
Claes
"Dragons I don't mind so much, it's devils that give me pause. Wanton murderers and thieves whose existence is so pointless their own plane doesn't seem to want them."

Claes checks and rechecks all the equipment, making sure nothing important was forgotten.

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 11:54 AM
Solomon

"If you wish it, I shall accompany you."

Aid Another on GI: [roll0]
---
OOC:
I take it I had chance to prepare my spell earlier today, and if so, I prepared Protection from Evil

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 12:07 PM
Claes

"I'm going to prepare some goodberrys, who knows how long we'll be in the dank cold underground without any means to forage."
Claes heads out of town, but not out of sight from where the rest of the party is meeting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taking 10 on survival to find bascially any kind of non-poisonous berries.(23)
Number of Goodberry's created:[roll0]

pcamp88
2009-07-21, 01:53 PM
Checking through his pack, Danath is quite happy that he remembered to pack plenty of rations. Of course, he hopes that he doesn't get stuck down in the mine for too long.

"Hopefully whatever this "thing" is will provide a decent challenge. (and hopefully may have something other than rotting corpses down there)"

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 01:57 PM
ooc: sorry for not responding I was away for a while. And yes, that was inconsiderate. *hangs head*
The man who you presume to be the town leader wrings his hands and says "We do have a map, but I'm not sure how current it is. We're constantly expanding the tunnels, and the recent maps were in the mines with the miners. And we have no clue what manner of beast this may be, merely that it kills whenever ventures down there. "
ooc: hold on, need to delete my notes from the map :)

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 02:00 PM
"There!" Claes returned to the group with a pouch full of the magical berries.
"I'll confess that I never thought to purchase food plentiful as it is in the woodlands. Normally I leave dungeoneering to others more suited than I, but I'll be glad to set things aright in this case.
I don't imagine this mine we're going to will be crawling with foes but I've asked Mother Forest to provide me with the means to take the fight to our enemies."
Claes whispers to Danath "And, between you and I, I've learned a new skill that may well come in handy." Claes's wink and grin could only be described as beastial.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 02:01 PM
"How many Miners are missing?" asked Claes.

"I remember one time I was asked by a poor farmer to exterminate a 'wicked' beast that had killed his twin boys. It turned out the wicked beast was an innocent mountain lion caring for her own litter of 5, in an objective sense there was no wrongdoing so I suggested to the farmer that there was no beast to fear but he had best keep himself out of the wild lands."

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 02:09 PM
"There have been 7 miners who have gone missing. Ah good, here is that map: Map (http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/brugbo613/MinesofEshinaplayer.jpg)"

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 02:14 PM
"Hmm, somewhat crude but it's a start. I suggest we make for the mine as soon as possible or wait until morning. Even underground dawn can be a purge to the unclean"

Claes again searches through equipment and rearranges some scrolls.

I'll be offline soon, my character will follow and keep quiet, but I still have time for a few more posts.

pcamp88
2009-07-21, 02:14 PM
Danath gives Claes a quick grin, wondering what this skill just might be and takes a look at the map.

"Hmm...I'm betting this place will end up being much bigger than what we see here. Has there been any major history of cave ins at this mine?

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 02:18 PM
"Well, there has been a couple minor cave ins, but the miners assure me that the props we put up to shore up the ceiling will hold, and our quality assurance team assures me of their quality (oh ho ho, a little management joke). If you'd like to wait till dawn, we will gladly put you up.

pcamp88
2009-07-21, 02:21 PM
"Good enough for me. As for when we go, I don't really care, I'll let everyone else decide."

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 02:24 PM
"Danath, would you benefit from borrowing one of my Wands? They are empowered with curing spells. I have one to keep myself as a back up in case my prepared spells fail me." Claes presented a blue dyed, rune carved stick to Danath with the trigger word clearly scribed in draconic.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 02:28 PM
(if everyone agrees)
Very well, I will meet everyone at this spot tomorrow as the sun breaks." Claes goes from homestead to homestead and inspects crops. Claes greets a few farmers and animal keepers and offers an opinion on their crops and animals.

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 02:33 PM
Solomon

"I am fine with staying for the night." Knowing this land will not house a Temple for Athena, Solomon goes about the Village doing odd jobs until nightime

Omegonthesane
2009-07-21, 02:47 PM
"No reason not to wait. The monster won't go away overnight." Privately, Michael worried about the large gaps in the map, but he couldn't have everything. With nothing better to do that day, he cleaned his weapons from earlier encounters, then went looking for whores.

Unless you want to spring a trap on me tonight, I'd say it's best to skip over Michael's actions, but just in case:
Gather Information [roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-07-21, 03:14 PM
The dwarf grunts. "Ha! I am ready as it is to fight whatever perils be waiting in the darkness! But if yea all be needing rest I will av to wait fer the mornin to explore with ya."

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 03:23 PM
So I'm going to assume you guys have rested till the dawn. At dawn, you gather again at the spot where you split up, a bit more well rested and topped up on good deeds. The foreman is waiting there, swaying slightly. It seems from his rumpled demeanor that he might have slept there last night. "Oh good, you guys are are back. Now if you'd follow me, I can show you the entrance to the mines, the mouth of the tunnel." you follow for a while (I'm assuming), till you get to a hole in a mountain. It's pitch black inside, and only Soloman and Grishgot can see more then a few feet. "You, erm might need some light, it gets kinda dark since no one's been replacing the torches." Soloman and Grishgot: Your vision is blocked by a simple wooden door about 20 feet into the mines "erm, there are a couple of doors that we have down there, to deter thieves and prevent flooding in the rain and so forth. The foreman unfourtnately had the erm keys. And he's down there. Somewhere."

Jair Barik
2009-07-21, 03:26 PM
"Then let us be going as fast as possible to is rescue eh?"

Grishgot hefts his axe from his belt and runs up to the door swinging his axe to break it down.

Roll to hit [roll0] (+2 from charging) roll for damage [roll1] 1 point of damage is acid damage

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 03:29 PM
The door splinters under the onslaught of Grishgot's axe, and the foreman cringes. "erm, yes, I suppose that is one way of opening a door.. I'm just going to erm go away now, okay?" He wanders off, wringing his hands and muttering.
EDIT: Darkvision dudes: as you step into the mines, you see a tunnel going south for about 10 feet until it's blocked off by another wooden door, and another door after a 20 foot tunnel straight ahead.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-21, 03:30 PM
Michael facepalmed at the darkness; of course he should have asked if anyone but him had a light. "Oh, for..." He also bit off his patron's name; even one whisper of it might give away his real nature without any invasion of privacy. "Before I waste lantern oil, did anyone bring an everburning torch? I can't help you if I can't see."

He recoiled a little at Grishgot's method of door opening, too. "If you do that to a trapped door, I'll never let you live it down."

Jair Barik
2009-07-21, 03:33 PM
Mutilating the body of his fallen opponent Grishgot pulled a torch out of his bag that burnt with magical light. "Rarely need it but if it will help ye out I'll be happy to lend ya it."

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 03:36 PM
Solomon

"I'll take the front, I can take the most damage it seems." Solomon then boldly steps to the front of the group and walks 10 feet on the other end of the door, then looks to see what's there.
[roll0] (spot)
"Incidentally, I have sunrods if anyone wants them.

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 03:36 PM
By the light of the torch, you see a tunnel leading south until it hits another door, and as you step over the wreckage of the door, (btw, if you do that to a trapped door, you may not be able to live it down :) ), you step into a large cavern, that appear natural, with rough stone walls. It appears to be 25 by 20 feet wide, and has two doors on the west wall, one 10 feet up, and one 20 feet up.

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 03:38 PM
Solomon walks to the centre of the room, once again looking for enemies:
[roll0]

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 03:39 PM
On the west wall, south of the northernmost door, you see strange markings. Your contemplation of them is interrupted however when you hear somebody call out "Hey!". It sounds like it came from the south door.
OOC: Can I have marching order please?

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 03:44 PM
Solomon

Solomon turns instinctivly towards the south door and shouts in a clear voice: "DETECT EVIL". If he detects no evil he approaches the door slowly, if he does detect it, he steps towards the source to get a clearer view.
---
OOC:
I think I'm first in marching order, being the meatshield :smallwink:

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 03:48 PM
You detect no evil, but you do hear a voice call out again. "Detect evil? Are you a paladin as well? Hold on, let me get this door open". The door creaks open, and a person steps out, dressed in greaves and a breastplate with the symbol of Athena on it, which is cut in half by a gash through the paint.
OOC: I'll wait for everyone's responses.

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 03:51 PM
Solomon

"A fellow worshipper of Athena? Why, what a glorious day this is! How fare you my friend, and why had you barricaded yourself within this room? Do you know what is happening in here?"
---
OOC:
-I'm done now :smalltongue:

Omegonthesane
2009-07-21, 03:52 PM
Michael fell to the back of the group, and when the Athenian... whatever came out, decided to leave Solomon to it for now. He also took a swig from a little bottle in his cloak, just in case.

---

OOC: Back of the line. I'm the only member with less than 30 hitpoints!
And I just drank Undetectable Alignment.

Jair Barik
2009-07-21, 03:59 PM
"Ha, what scared ya into the dark paladin? Tis there not enough light in here for ya to find the door by?

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 04:03 PM
"Hah! No good dwarf, I came down here to help these townspeople out. Unfourtunately, I was forced to retreat from a horrible three-armed monster with a gigantic mouth! Also I ran out of food" He grins widely at this. "Say! Maybe I could join up with you to help defeat the beast plaguing these people?"

Altaria87
2009-07-21, 04:10 PM
Solomon

I don't know about the others, but I owuld be glad for you to accompany us, do you know where this monster resides in any case?"
---
OOC:
ANyone know a monster that fits that description, I can't think of any as of right now

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 04:27 PM
"Unfourtunately no, I have no clue where this beast may lair."
OOC: I'm going to assume this marching order: Paladin, Spellblade, Druid, Cleric, Rouge, till I hear otherwise
IC: "Well if there are no objections, I'll just join with you." He steps smartly between the Paladin and the Spellblade. "I was attacked in the next room, so I can't tell you much of what's ahead, but I'd be glad to lend my sword."
OOC: I'm going to be heading over to Driver's Ed till about 9.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 04:40 PM
"Myself and Brin will take Rear Guard"

sorry for inactivity, I'll be better about it thursday-on

pcamp88
2009-07-21, 05:16 PM
Danath raises an eyebrow at the paladin, deciding to keep an eye on him and silently acknowledges him.

--------------------------------
OOC: Nothing comes to mind about what it is atm, but remember it IS dark and it's possible he could only have seen three arms.

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 08:00 PM
OOC: Okay, so Paladin, NPC Paladin, Spellblade, Cleric, Rouge, Druid and co.
"So, any ideas where to go?"

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 09:50 PM
"If you truely are a friend then you'd better keep your strength up." Claes hands him a goodberry "You will find this berry is as filling as a meal." Claes takes a moment to Don studded leather armor and keeps hand on hilt, ready to draw the magical scimitar at a moment's notice. "I wonder what our foe could be, few natural beasts are asymmetrical enough to have 3 arms. Keep close Brin!"

(17 on Knowledge Nature based on the Pal's description if he gives any more.)

----------------
It also heals 1hp, JOY!

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 10:03 PM
"Ah, thank you, I have not eaten for a while as I said" He raises the visor of his helm (didn't I mention he had one? That's why I didn't describe his face) and pops the berry in. you catch a glimpse of a pace face, with brown hair and an angular face.

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 10:06 PM
Wind: A 17 reveals that whatever it is, you vaguely remember that whatever this is, it is native to the plane of Earth

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-21, 10:28 PM
"Hmm, I may be mistaken but since it has a mouth and arms, I'm willing to wager that it's some sort of material plane creature, otherwise it probably would have burned you, stoned you, or blasted you with magic"

Claes tries to memorize the face, in case it's important later.
--------------------
And it MUST be because you mentioned it! :p

Balthazar
2009-07-21, 10:32 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Geez, been reading a bit too much TV tropes? Maybe I'm just trying to put some flavor/detail in.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 01:39 AM
Solomon

Solomon looks at the map, then announces: "We'll head to that large room with the brown markings, if there are no objetions." And if there are none, he begins to lead the march to the room.

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 01:41 AM
"Large brown markings? Oh, you mean the living area. Yeah, the miners set that up so the could stay down here a while."
OOC: Yeah, I didn't mean to delete those markings from the map.

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 02:05 AM
"To bed already? Well if ya thinks we will find a clue thar..."

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:12 AM
Solomon

"Well if it's where the miner's sleep, it's the best lead we've got, hey, rogue guy, would you be fine checking for traps on this door?"

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 02:15 AM
OOC: my god, it's 3 am. Why are you people not asleep? Heck, why aren't I asleep? Regardless of your personal state of transcendence, maybe we should wait for everyone else before you decide where you're going to go.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:30 AM
OOC: Where I am it's half past eight and the school holidays, I'm gonna be here ALL day :smalltongue:
... Well except for when I'm otherwise occupied

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 02:31 AM
OOC:Different time zone. its 8:30 in the morning here

Omegonthesane
2009-07-22, 04:23 AM
"I have a name, you know!" Admittedly to the others he was 'Joey' but Michael didn't appreciate just being called 'rogue guy'. Nonetheless, he checked the door for traps.

Search [roll0]

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 07:34 AM
"I'm for checking the bed chamber" that could be a break. Claes's Animal Companion had nose for tracking and where better to start than a bedroom.

"You may be sniffing some socks, my friend" said Claes to the grey wolf that padded along a few paces behind the party.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 07:42 AM
Solomon

"What about you, Danath, are you fine with this course of action? And my apologies Joey, I should have been more considerate."
[Assuming Danath agrees and no traps were found]
Solomon then takes a leaf out of his fellow Drawf's book and unsheathes his hammer, shouting "FIRE!" he then smashes the door with his burning hammer, afterwards replacing it once again with his axe, and then leads the party through the door and into the next corridor.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 08:32 AM
Claes

Claes stares in disbelief. Who am I to be reconsidering a dwarfs tactics? but all the same, Claes speaks up.

"It may to our advantage to NOT trumpet our arrival to the hungry demons in this cave. Why on earth bash down a door when you didn't even TRY to open it yet!?

(If we enter the room and it is unoccupied) Claes has the wolf Brin Londo sniff about the beds and any personal effects left behind.
Survival to track:[roll0]
Aid Another (maybe pointing out a particularly smelly sock?: [roll1]

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 08:35 AM
Solomon

"I guess you're right, I won't do it from now on."
---
OOC:
So do we encounter anything on the way, or do we get to the bedchambers, and were they traps on the door, because if there were, this never happened.

pcamp88
2009-07-22, 10:51 AM
Danath mutters to himself; "Stupid Dwarf..."

Danath enters the room and makes a search. (taking 20 if possible for a total of 23.)

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I just woke up
IC: The first door on the way to the living chambers does not have any traps that you found. In fact, this door seemed to be unlocked. This theory is confirmed when the door goes flying under the weight of the hammer, banging on the other side of the wall and slowly smoldering.
Wind: Even if there were no traps, there are still three doors and a couple of rooms in between there and here.
As you enter the next room, you see a tunnel stretching south for about 25 feet, then hits a wall, and another one stretches ahead of you, for another 25 feet, ending in a metal door with a wheel on the front (like Spongebob's or an airlock). There is also a door to the north, a regular wooden one. Your attention is drawn to this one by the fact that is is slowly creaking open, revealing two skeletons, looking about medium height, charge at you, their jaws open in a horrible silent scream.
OOC: Only Alteria had entered the tunnel when they attacked. Alteria gets initiative, all the rest are surprised. Might as well all roll though.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 10:57 AM
Solomon

"So there are undead in this place, it is a good job I came, time to give these souls eternal rest."

Init.: [roll0]
--
OOC:
Wouldn't it be more efficient for you to roll Init. OOC?

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah, I guess I do know your initiative modifiers :smallredface:

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 11:01 AM
OOC: *waits to see a turn order/map so I can make my move* Also, what checks can we use to identify the skellys?

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 11:03 AM
Skeleton A: 10
Skeleton B: 20
Claes: 8
Grishgot: 1 >.<
Joey: 15
Danath: 17 (why do you have +4 intiative in 'misc'?)
Soliden: 18

So Skeleton B, Soliden, Danath, Joey, Skeleton A, Claes, Solomon then Grishgot.
EDIT: You have the map, you are just past the second door westwardly.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 11:07 AM
OOC: I meant as in where the skeletons are in relaiton to us, so we know the distance and all that and can say exactly where we move. And isn't this a surprise round since everyone else is surprised?
If so *waits for Skeletons to do something before their inevitable turning*

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 11:07 AM
The first skeleton attack Solomon, misses. Everyone else is surprised, second skeleton moves around the second, provoking an attack of opportunity from Solomon to get to his west flank.
EDIT: They are now north and west of you. directly adjacent.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 11:13 AM
As the Skeleton moves around Solomon, he strikes at it with his Waraxe, however he misses.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]+[roll2] and [roll3] to me.
After recoiling from the dagger blow Solomon then strikes at the same Skeleton with a drawn Warhammer, now flaming.
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]+[roll6] fire

Status Block:
43/45 Hp, AC 21
Can't think of anything else to put.
---
OOC:
Just realised I don't have a Holy Symbol, do you not mind if I quickly add one on?
I think undead are immune to criticals, so yeah

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 11:17 AM
OOC: Heh, sure. That's be a fairly important thing to have. Also, the skeleton gets to attack you in between those hits. He'd only moved.
Second skeleton punches at you with a punching dagger, ooh! crit threat. Confirming.. tch. The punching dagger finds a chink in your armor, doing two damage.
The first strike misses, as the skeleton doges agiley, chittering at you in laughter. The second one lands solidly, and the skeleton explodes in a sprinkle of bone dust.
Next round. The last standing skeleton makes a fist with it's undead hand, and punches at you. It thuds into your armor with no effect though.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 11:21 AM
OOC: Yay :smallbiggrin: and now the Skeleton gets to attack me again, but now everyone else can join in, incidentally, which of my attacks hit?

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 11:38 AM
OOC: looks like i'll be sitting this one out. Battle not the game :smallbiggrin:

pcamp88
2009-07-22, 11:41 AM
Skeleton A: 10
Skeleton B: 20
Claes: 8
Grishgot: 1 >.<
Joey: 15
Danath: 17 (why do you have +4 intiative in 'misc'?)
Soliden: 18

So Skeleton B, Soliden, Danath, Joey, Skeleton A, Claes, Solomon then Grishgot.
EDIT: You have the map, you are just past the second door westwardly.

OOC: I took improved initiative at first but then decided against it, must have forgotten to remove that. >_<

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 11:42 AM
OH! forgot it was the NPCs turn next. Soliden squeezes past Solomon, forces his way past the skeleton (attack of opportunity misses), then slices at him with his bastard sword, hitting it and smashing it into couple of pieces.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 11:51 AM
Solomon

"That was... easy, tohugh I wonder why there are undead iwthin these halls, maybe we should investigate the door they came through, or should we just continue on our original course?"

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 11:53 AM
Not even breathing hard, Soliden looks up from polishing his sword. "I don't know, I was never in that room, and I was quiet that those skeletons probably didn't even know I was there"

Omegonthesane
2009-07-22, 11:58 AM
Michael was at first scared to see the unquiet dead down here - he'd been taught that his usual sneak attacks were no use against things without a living anatomy - but then felt a little relieved, since the two paladins - or maybe one paladin and one cleric, he wasn't so sure about Soliden - took only a few seconds (2 rounds) to turn the living dead into just plain dead.
"That can't be what's scaring the miners, but the dead don't just get up and walk. We must be up against a necromancer..."

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 12:00 PM
"Agreed. Those simple husks would not have been able to take down 7 miners. If nothing else, one of them would have escaped."

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 12:13 PM
"So then, are we making a short detour towards the source?"

pcamp88
2009-07-22, 12:24 PM
I would be in favor of that. The faster we eliminate the threat, the faster we can get through to where we need to go.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 12:28 PM
Solomon

"Well if our friend Joey could check the door they came from for traps."
---
OOC:
Wait, isn't the door open? If so, I walk right through it

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 12:32 PM
The door is open, as you walk through you see a tunnel 40 by 10 feet, it is empty, there is a door 10 feet up on the east wall. It is empty.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 12:35 PM
Solomon turns to the others "There's nothing in here, get back to the original course." As he turns around he turns his head back and Detects Evil down the corridor, just to make sure.

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 12:36 PM
Nothing. FILLER!

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 12:38 PM
"So, whats the plan before we go chargin afta some evil force of animation eh? Do we strike it head on or scour the area smiting its minions before we confront it?"

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 12:39 PM
"Well my plan is just to go to the living quarters, as such, and get rid of any undead in the way, then go after the beast, but if anyone has a better plan, feel free to say."

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 12:41 PM
"Well we don't even know where the beast is, or even what it is. And what makes you think it'd be in the living area? Perhaps we should sweep the rest of these mines."

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 12:43 PM
"Well apparently our Druid friend could get some scents from the living quarters, but if we wish to scour the mines, which way should we go now?"

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 12:45 PM
"Well.." he takes a coin out his pocket and flips it a couple of times. "How about the tunnel by the entrance?"

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 12:49 PM
OOC: Figures I missed the fight, not that there was much to be had!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
IC: Claes studies the map and draws the Illuminating Scimitar. The scimitar shines like a magic torch. "I hope this doesn't bother your dark visioned types, but I would like to have my own light source!"
Claes leaves Brin to keep an escape route opened ((less combat to worry about for Balthazar)) and moves closer to the middle of the group.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 12:51 PM
@Solomon "He will come assist if needed but for now I think it more prudent that we have a roving pair of eyes seeking about behind us."

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 12:52 PM
So it goes Solomon, Soliden, Danath, Claes, Joey, Grishgot Brin?
And what's your vote on where to go Wind?

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 12:53 PM
"Ok then." Says Solomon, leading the way back to the entrance, then stepping aside for Joey to check the other door they had been presented with for traps. (That is, if everyone agrees it is the best option)
---
OOC:
-The campaign is going to continue after the mine right, we've got a good group going here... Plus we need more, evil-guys-avoiding-being-detect-evil'd

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 12:55 PM
OOC: Oh yes, I certainly hope so. I've already got the some more adventures planned out. I'm going to wait for at least 2 other people to put in their 2 ents before we go back to the other door.

pcamp88
2009-07-22, 12:56 PM
A plan is better than no plan. Let's move.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 12:57 PM
"Where we go matters not to me, I sense we will scour this entire place before we leave anyway. I would like to be near the center of the group."

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 01:00 PM
After the door opens Claes casts a spell. "I will link our perceptions, the closer we stay together the better our perceptions will be! LINK PERCEPTION!"

Spell: Linked Perception 2nd level 1 minute/level. 20-foot radius centered on you. Each ally in the area gains a cumulative +2 bonus on spot and Listen PER ALLY in the 20ft. Radius. (i.e. a party of 3 rangers gains +6 to spot and listen for the duration of the spell as long as they remain within 20ft. of the ranger who casted it.) PHB2 page 118

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 01:02 PM
Allright then. You head back for the entrance, and come upon a door that has been bolted with a heavy wooden beam from the outside and has mine sign which none of you can decipher (I rolled for pc's decipher script check).

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 01:03 PM
"Woah, what just happened?"
Solomon looks around, testing out this new perception:
Spot [roll0](I assume all 7 of us are in the radius)
"Anyway, Joey, wanna search for traps?"

Omegonthesane
2009-07-22, 01:26 PM
"I'm a rogue, in a dungeon, in front of a closed door. Of course I want to search for traps."
Search [roll0]

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 01:27 PM
Natural 20 eh? Well there wasn't a trap, but you rolled so high you found one anyway :P. Nah, the door's clear.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 01:36 PM
Solomon

After getting approval the door is safe, Solomon lifts the bar from the door, and walks through, detecting evil as he does so
--
OOC:
If a strength check was needed, here's one: [roll0]

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 01:38 PM
You find yourself in a tunnel, and about 35 feet in front of you is another door
(btw, is Solomon carrying any illumination? I mean he is in front)

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 01:39 PM
Once you get to the middle of the room, you start to register evil beyond the door.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 01:42 PM
(if Solomon informs us of the Evil)
"Tell me what kind of support you need, I can strengthen and quicken somebody if they need it."

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 01:43 PM
OOC: Solomon has Darkvision, I've forgot who has the everburning torch.

Solomon turns to the party and whispers "There is evil beyond the door, what's the plan? By the way, Joey, if you don't mind, check for traps on the door, I'll cover you, as will Claes."

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 01:46 PM
Joey actually has the torch. And yes Solomon, I keep forgetting you have darkvision *facepalm*

Omegonthesane
2009-07-22, 01:55 PM
Michael sighed. "Why is there never just a doorway? Hold the torch will you, I'll need both hands to search."
Search [roll0]

---
Grishgot packed an everburning torch, Michael/Joey has 'only' a lantern. Which will help if we split the party.
Also, 27 on a +11 roll means I rolled a 16, not a natural 20.

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 01:57 PM
OOC: Ah sorry, I saw the 20 and thought... you find no traps

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 01:57 PM
Solomon

Solomon sheathes his axe and holds the Torch while Joey does his thing, then, if he gets the all clear, gives the torch back, draws his Warhammer and opens the door.
[roll0]
^Spot check, presuming the mass perception (or whatever it's called) spell is still active.
---
OOC:
I just had a random thought, what would happen if "Joey" or Grishgot (sp?) killed me in my sleep xD? Apart from the remainder of the party owning them?

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 02:10 PM
OOC: You would be dead xD. I'd probably let you make a new character though. Oh, and without a meatshield they'd probably be eaten by something huge pretty quickly. Speaking of something huge!
As you step into the room, you see a 7 foot tall monster with insect-like plating, 2 compound eyes, and two regular eyes, all staring at you. This thing is big, and looks ornery.
Claes: you recognize it as an Umber hulk, although this one seems to be smaller then usual. Maybe its the runt of the litter, or just a kid.
The room is 20 by 20 feet large, and the beast was standing by by the far south wall, five feet from the west wall, and looks up from whatever it was eating and bellows. There's no surprise round since you guys weren't aware that it was there. Initiative: Solomon, 3, Grishpot one again!, Claes 21, Joey 15, Danath 6, Solidem 19, monster, 16
So Cleas, Solidem, monster, Joey, Danath, Solomon, Grishpot.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:19 PM
"Claes, any clue what that thing is, does it seem like it's the creature we're after?"
---
OOC:
I can talk out of my turn right?
Also if this is the "Boss" what a time to get a 3 on initiative.

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 02:21 PM
Eh, sure, you can shout at any time.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 02:35 PM
"An Umber Hulk!" Claes shouts. "Though if anything this one appears malnourished!" Claes moves to Solomon and whispers, just loud enough for everyone to hear. "These are vicious beasts who can disorient you a gaze. This is not a beast to be trifled with but it will probably devour us given the chance"

"AnimalisticPower!" On solomon.

Animalistic Power 2nd Level. 1minute/level. One targeted creature. Subject Gains +2 to Strength Dexterity and Constitution for the Duration of the spell. Material Component is a bit of animal fur or feathers. PHB2:pg. 101

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 02:36 PM
Also Forgot to roll init. [roll0]

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:39 PM
OOC: You don't need to roll init. Been done for you, but you were first anyway, but it's a proper round, so you can also move.
Also is the disorientating a fear affect, because if it is, me and my other Paladin friend are immune to it, and everyone else gets a +4 on their save.

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 02:42 PM
Solidem hefts his blade, and charges the monster. He takes a chop, and slices a good chunk out of the monster's hide, for 15 damage.
OOC: I already rolled for you Wind.
The monster, hurt, glares at Solomon with such hatred that he grabs his head and starts screaming., and quickly steps over to the S/E corner of the room.
EDIT: No, not fear.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:48 PM
OOC: Do I still have control on my turn, or will I be stuck screaming?

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 02:50 PM
Oh you don't have control. The good news is you may not be screaming. Just attacking people. :) I just put screaming in as a side-effect? of the confusion.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 02:52 PM
Claes's eyes widen, apparently the buffing spell was a bad idea.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:53 PM
OOC: Great, confusion, how do you get rid of it (been ages since I've read the spell description)

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 02:56 PM
Wait 8 rounds. There's probably some spell. Heal I think.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:59 PM
OOC: Ah well, the rest of the party will have to restrain me... Or hope that the d100 comes up with me attacking the hulk (I have my warhammer drawn by the way)

Omegonthesane
2009-07-22, 03:15 PM
Michael decided he might as well take charge, in the absence of the obvious leader. "Grishpot try dealing with Solomon! Danath with me!" Since Solidem had so kindly attacked the... thing, attracting its attention, Michael ran up to the other side of it and poked with his rapier.
Attack Roll [roll0]
Normal damage [roll1]
Sneak Attack damage [roll2]

pcamp88
2009-07-22, 03:34 PM
"Finally..."

Danath approaches the umber hulk and strikes with his greatsword.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 03:37 PM
(On my Initiative) Claes moves to the Umber Hulk and draws the Illuminating scimitar as part of the move. Claes Attacks at the back of it's segmented knees and tries to pull it off it's feet. (Claes has Imp. Trip and if the Trip Attempt is successful gets a free melee attack at the prone enemy.
ROLLS:
Touch attack To Trip: [roll0]

If successful free attack [roll1] [roll2] Note that the Hulk's AC will be less because it is prone.

-------------
OOC:About to go afk for a few hours, I'll set aside 5 charges of my CLW wand for the DM to use in my stead.

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 03:49 PM
OOC: i'm pretty sure I get a turn before Claes goes again...

Well assuming it's not dead

IC: Grishgot mutters a quick prayer to his God and charges the creature, axe drawn.

to hit [roll1d20+8[/roll] for damage [roll0] including 1 point of acid damage

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 03:50 PM
and because I'm an idiot... [roll0]

Omegonthesane
2009-07-22, 03:51 PM
OOC: i'm pretty sure I get a turn before Claes goes again...

Well assuming it's not dead

IC: Grishgot mutters a quick prayer to his God and charges the creature, axe drawn.

to hit [roll1d20+8[/roll] for damage [roll0] including 1 point of acid damage

((He said on his initiative - his post happens just after yours.))

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 03:58 PM
OOC: yeah noticed that shortly after posting.
Pity its not a humanoid. I really want to use clutch of Orcus on something

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 04:23 PM
Joey's hit lands true, but since the monster's in a corner, you can't flank it, and get no sneak attack. Danath misses. Solomon screams incoherently and attacks Girshpot, who since he hadn't moved is the closest. His warhammer whooshes past the cleric's head. Grishgot then attacks the Hulk, scoring a solid hit for 12 damage. So the tactical layout is like this:
:smallfurious::smalltongue: |
:smallcool::smallyuk::smallyuk:|
:smallsmile::smallyuk::smallyuk:|
-------------
With Smiley being Solidem, Cool being Joey, Furious being Grishgot, and Tongue being Danath.
Claes trip hits, but you have to make an opposed strength check, right? The Hulk rolls a 9, you roll a natural 20, confirmed, you kick out the back of his knees, making him prone for an extra turn.. Your attack then misses.
Solidem then attacks again, missing.
The monster lies prone, struggling to stand up.
Phew! Over to you Joey.
I'm going to be gone for about 3 hours, sorry. Also, sorry that this took so long to respond, wasn't notified.

Jair Barik
2009-07-22, 04:27 PM
awesome. You captured my characters state of mind perfectly

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I'm back. Michael's turn.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 09:12 PM
Claes grins as the trip connects and through gritted teeth says "I learned to fight with the wolves, and kill with the bears! I'm the shadow at noon and the light among the dark, make your peace, o mockery of nature!"
-------------------------------------------------
OOC
When he stands he is going to get raped on attacks O oppurtunity. Also he is denied his dexterity so a certain little rogue should get in his sneak attack next round.

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 09:16 PM
OOC: Oh wow, I just found the combat rules on creature size, and he should have gotten in an attack of opportunity on at least on of you guys. Oh well. Live and learn eh?

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 09:17 PM
OOC: you DID say he was a runt :) Maybe he is a Medium sized powerful build umber hulk?

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I considered that, but then only three of you could be attacking him. Not the 5 who currently are. Also, I miscalculated, wind your trip attack hit, so it's at 8 less health.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-22, 09:22 PM
OOC:

Also, I miscalculated, wind your trip attack hit, so it's at 8 less health.
Wind D8/D12:Breakdances.

Balthazar
2009-07-22, 09:25 PM
Heh, break dancing provokes an attack of opportunity :P
btw, the situation is now like this:

:smallwink::smallfurious::smalltongue:|
:smallcool::smallyuk::smallyuk:|
:smallsmile::smallyuk::smallyuk:|
-------
With Solomon standing by the door.

And initiative goes
Cleas :smallwink:
Solidem :smallsmile:
Umber Hulk Runt
Joey :smallcool:
Danath :smallyuk:
Solomon :smallbiggrin:
Grishpot :smallfurious:

Omegonthesane
2009-07-23, 01:04 AM
Michael saw little else to do other than take another shot, and hope he struck true this time. Not even time to shake his head at Grishgot ignoring his advice to deal with Solomon first. He briefly considered taking out Solomon, but the hulk was the bigger threat.

To Hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

EDIT: Whooo! Critical threat!
Rolled confirm and bonus damage here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6560457#post6560457)

Altaria87
2009-07-23, 01:14 AM
During his madness Solomon just manages to think I am sorry, everyone before he once again decends into insanity after looking at the gaze of pure hatred.

Jair Barik
2009-07-23, 02:57 AM
When my turn: Hefting his axe Grishgot brought his axe down upon the Umber hulk
To hit [roll0] damage [roll1]

Balthazar
2009-07-23, 10:34 AM
Michael's trike hits true, stabbing the wounded beast straight through its left top eye. It screams in fury, and it's claws start flailing wildly.

Balthazar
2009-07-23, 02:17 PM
Well it's not your turn (I know, rolling ahead), but your turn comes around again before his, so he won't be standing up yet. I don't believe you can trip as an attack of opportunity. Also, he won't be standing up on his turn will he?

Omegonthesane
2009-07-23, 02:41 PM
((My guess is he's going to melee at whatever penalty rather than get up... if a prone large thing can melee squares right next to it what with the whole 10' reach thing. Or be dead before his turn comes about, I dunno. *offers up dice for the dice god and rules for the rule throne*))

Balthazar
2009-07-23, 06:23 PM
Well I grow bored of waiting for pccamp, so I'm going to assume that he's delaying until he actually does something.
Solomon screams, and attacks Danath, charging with his warhammer high, connecting solidly, and does 11 damage to him.
OOC: Also, I totally just realized that the skeletons had damage reduction 5/bludgeoning. That should have gone on longer >.<

pcamp88
2009-07-23, 09:17 PM
OOC: Sorry, forgot to mention I was at work. XD

Danath will attack the the umber hulk again:

To Hit: [roll0]

Balthazar
2009-07-23, 09:24 PM
The beast screams and goes down under Danath's greatsword.
Combat's still on though, because Solomon's still crazier then a BASE jumper with a gauze parachute.
(Pity, I was going to have it glare at someone, then burrow away. Oh yeah, he can burrow)

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-23, 09:35 PM
After Grishpot...

Claes runs over and tries to kick Solomon's feet out from under him.
Trip attempt!
Touch attack
Tripper Str vs. Str or Dex of the Tripee [roll]1d20+5 (+1 for STR +4 for Imp. Trip.
and I choose to forgo the free attack on the way down!

Crit miss! Maybe I'll accidentally hit a friend and get him anyway...
((OOC: afk for a few, driving home))

Altaria87
2009-07-24, 01:39 AM
[[Still crazy...
Oh, and with the skeletons, my Warhammer was bludgeoning anyway]]

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 01:54 AM
((When it's my turn))

Michael grinned to see the ugly thing go down, then realised Solomon was still being a problem. Finally, a chance to attack the paladin. He ran behind Solomon, sheathing his rapier in favour of a sap, and swung to clout the man over the head.

Attack Roll [roll0]
(Nonlethal) Damage [roll1]
(Nonlethal) Sneak Attack [roll2]

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 01:56 AM
Changing your weapon is a move action. You can't do it and get behind him.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 02:04 AM
Changing your weapon is a move action. You can't do it and get behind him.

I have BAB +3, so I can move and draw a new weapon at the same time as a move action. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm) Ctrl+F and find "Draw or Sheathe a Weapon".

Unless you want to houserule an exception..?

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 02:11 AM
It's more that I figured your sap would not be in easy reach.
EDIT: Since it's not something you normally carry in a belt, and you already have two others.

Jair Barik
2009-07-24, 03:43 AM
I'll knock some sense into im!

Grishgot walks up to the paladin and bashes him with his shield.

[roll0] damage [roll1]

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 03:55 AM
It's more that I figured your sap would not be in easy reach.
EDIT: Since it's not something you normally carry in a belt, and you already have two others.

((The bow counts as a stored item, sure, but I'd expect light weapons to be carried on the belt - even a sap, because there's little point having a backup weapon you can't pull at a moment's notice. I could say I sneak attack with the rapier instead if you really want.

EDIT: Jair, Wind, do you have any cure spells prepared? Even Cure Minor would be enough to stabilise Solomon in case we nearly kill him.))

Jair Barik
2009-07-24, 04:03 AM
OOC: No all I have is 2 cure minor wounds, 2 cure light wounds, a cure moderate wounds, a remove paralysis, a lesser restoration, a cure serious wounds and a clutch of Orcus.

Perhaps if I clutch of Orcus him?

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 04:21 AM
OOC: No all I have is 2 cure minor wounds, 2 cure light wounds, a cure moderate wounds, a remove paralysis, a lesser restoration, a cure serious wounds and a clutch of Orcus.

Perhaps if I clutch of Orcus him?

((So you have 5 cure spells, so you can stabilise him with a standard action spell when we win the fight. I was worried more about "we lose the paladin forever" than "we get smacked about bringing him down".

Wait... *goes and checks BoVD and SRD*

If we want him dead-dead, Clutch of Orcus would be hilarious and a good way for Michael to realise he isn't the only evil person in the party, but do we want him out of the game already? Short of house-ruling in "zombies/skeletons aren't mindless" we can't even turn him into an intelligent undead at 5th level.))

Jair Barik
2009-07-24, 04:31 AM
OOC: What better way to prove how evil you are than to magically remove the opponents smoking heart from their body?

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 04:36 AM
((More to the point Clutch of Orcus will paralyse him, so I can sap him to kingdom come - with a wide grin on my face - and then shove you to break your concentration.
I appreciate we're Evil, but you're talking about murdering the party meat shield - that's our enemy's job, or else left until we're out of immediate danger that isn't him.))

Jair Barik
2009-07-24, 04:44 AM
OOC: yeah I was being sarcastic. And it had occured to me that we could use it to paralyse him

Altaria87
2009-07-24, 04:59 AM
OOC: Please stop discussing the advantages and disadvantages of my murder :smallsmile:. Anyway *hopes I stop being crazy soon*, also I presume that wasn't the creature we're after?

Jair Barik
2009-07-24, 05:05 AM
OOC: Don't think it had the right number of arms. Hopefully a low damage shield bash should sort you out.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-24, 05:50 AM
(OOC:BAck in action until 3pm!)

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 10:02 AM
Um Jair, since you are using your shield as an off hand weapon, which is heavy, and you don't havee two-weapon fighting, you get a -10 to hit, meaning you rolled an 11, not a 21, which misses.
Cleas, your trip attack misses, and you fall flat on your back instead. (critical fumble confirmed).
Solidem squeezes past Grishpot, and tumbles past Solomon, but not low enough, and Solomon takes a swing at him, missing. Popping up on the other side, he takes a whack at him with the flat of the blade, missing and striking the other wall, the jarring enough to make him drop his weapon.
Joey's sap bounces off the paladin's breastplate, leaving him no worse for his trouble.
Danath's turn.

Jair Barik
2009-07-24, 10:03 AM
OOC: Rats, I thought offhand penalties only applied if you were using both weapons at once...

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 10:05 AM
Nope, it specifically says that a shield bash uses it as an offhand weapon.

Altaria87
2009-07-24, 10:06 AM
OOC: You could all go on Total Defence until I recover =D
Also, when confused, isn't there like only a 30% chance I actually attack my allies, the rest are like babbling incoherently, or acting normally?

pcamp88
2009-07-24, 11:13 AM
Danath runs forward, making his own trip attempt on the screaming idiot.

Trip: [roll0]

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-24, 02:19 PM
(on turn)
Claes stands and goes full defensive. "If my understanding is correct Solomon should regain his senses without our interference!"

AC is now 23.

pcamp88
2009-07-24, 02:35 PM
OOC: Due to my late shift tonight and my VERY early shift tomorrow, I won't be around until roughly 3 pm est tomorrow.

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 02:41 PM
The trip provokes an attack of opportunity, which hits for 5 damage. The trip then hits, but you fail the strength check, allowing him to trip you! You fall flat on your face.

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 02:42 PM
Solomon then looks around wildly, and finally stands there babbling.
And yes Alteria, it is 10% attack the caster, 10% act normally, 30% babble, 20% run away from the caster, and 30% attack closest person.

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 04:22 PM
Do not read till it's Solomon's turns, since I can't be here on saturday, I took the liberty of rolling up his next actions (thanks to wind)
He has an attack modifier of +8 to hit, and does 1d8+1d6(fire)+2, AC of 21, touch is 11, Strength modifier of +2
Attacks closest person

Attacks closest person

Attacks closest person

Babbles

Runs away as fast as possible

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 05:02 PM
"And if, I don't know, he kills one of us before he gets his senses back? Forgive me for not wanting to take that chance!"
Michael finds a way to flank Solomon, then lets rip with a sap.
Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Sneak Attack [roll2]

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 05:09 PM
Oh, and the grid is like this: Currently (http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/brugbo613/Current1.jpg)
There is no place for you Joey. Initiative is Cleas, Solidem, Joey, Danath, Solomon, and Grishpot.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-24, 05:09 PM
"Then we will use your empty husk to bait the creature we are chasing!" Claes watched as the situation deteriorated. Just how much was the paladin hearing? Claes wondered if he will take offense when he regains his senses.

Balthazar
2009-07-24, 05:11 PM
In fact, Danath couldn't have tripped him/gotten thumped. No room for him. He could have cast a spell instead... So it's still his turn, then Grishpot since Solomon's still babbling.

pcamp88
2009-07-24, 09:24 PM
Well if Danath can't reach him then he'll just go into total defense mode.

Jair Barik
2009-07-25, 02:53 AM
Grishgot holds his shield for maximum defense
(take on total defense till hes sane)

Altaria87
2009-07-25, 02:55 AM
OOC: I have another suggestion, go out of the room, barricade the door somehow, and wait a minute, no injury on anyone's part. Also, how much hp have I lost so far?

Omegonthesane
2009-07-25, 05:29 AM
"So what you're saying is that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I can do that will get me out of this alive!" Since apparently everyone had explicitly got in the way to make sure he couldn't properly place his attacks, Michael ran to the corner of the room, giving Danath room to step in and block (or attack) Solomon.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-25, 06:16 PM
Claes carefully stands (fully defensively) and flinches as Solomon can attack.

(@Altaria-Maybe you can make your % roll since our fearless DM is gonna be AFK today? Or just attack since I think this round you are aggressive anyway and I'm one of the closest since I slipped when I tried to trip you!)

(Since Solidem is DM controlled Joey should go next followed by Dananth, then Solomon and Grishpot)

Balthazar
2009-07-25, 08:48 PM
Apparently confused characters do not get to make attacks of opportunity. Solidem attempts to smack Solomon with the flat of his blade, but misses. (btw, the AC and to-hit bonus I put for solomon was wrong, I forgot to apply the buff)
Joey then tactically withdraws, making room for Danath.

pcamp88
2009-07-25, 09:48 PM
Danath lunges forward, striking at the raging maniac with the flat of his blade.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-25, 09:51 PM
(OOC:Is that a crit threat I see? Too bad it's Subdual, or I might be assuming too much. Don't forget the -4 on attack.)

Balthazar
2009-07-25, 09:56 PM
Danath scores a ringing hit on the side of the paladin's head, doing 28 points of non-lethal damage. (I rolled a natural 20 on the the confirmation roll. In 2.0 that was a death blow)

pcamp88
2009-07-25, 10:14 PM
28? That's gonna leave a mark. >_>

Balthazar
2009-07-25, 10:20 PM
Yeah, it will. He has 50 HP, and 28 non-lethal damage.

Balthazar
2009-07-25, 11:59 PM
Ah, sorry, forgot it was Solomon's turn. Well he attacks the person closest to him, which is you Claes. His warhammer wiffs by your head. Initiative Grishpot.

Jair Barik
2009-07-26, 03:17 AM
Grishgot maintains his defensive stance making sure that the lunatic can't escape.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-26, 03:24 AM
On Turn: Claes Hilt-Punches the Paladin "Snap out of it, you fool! The Hulks dead!"
Swing and a miss! Claes's lowered defense was agreeably reckless.

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 09:18 AM
Solidem lines up another shot, and punches Solomon with his hilt, and just barely misses. (thank you for the buff Cleas)

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 04:43 PM
In my never ending quest to make mapping locations easier, I have made a layout and taken pictures of it. I have no idea if this will actually be easier :) Here you go. (http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/brugbo613/Current2.jpg)

Omegonthesane
2009-07-26, 04:48 PM
Michael does absolutely nothing unless someone would like to open a flanking position for him.

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 04:49 PM
So you're delaying until Grishpot moves?

Omegonthesane
2009-07-26, 04:54 PM
((Yeah. If he doesn't move out of that square, I'll go full defensive just in case.))

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 04:57 PM
Well let me know when you've decided to act. Initiative Danath.

pcamp88
2009-07-26, 05:22 PM
Danath brings his sword back around for another flat strike:

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 05:36 PM
Solomon whips around and sees the incoming blade, and ducks as it goes whistling over his head. He then swings at Danath, connection solidly with his hammer, doing 7 damage. (Yeah, you're going to get hit a lot, because he attacks the one who last attacked him. It's not just because I don't like you :P)

pcamp88
2009-07-26, 05:39 PM
ooc: Epic miss. >_<

This would be much easier if Sleep was on the duskblade spell list. :P

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 05:55 PM
Really? I just got the PHBII, so now I can actually see what Duskblades do... wow, your spell list kinda sucks. Unless, you know, you want to kill someone xD You could enfeeble him....

pcamp88
2009-07-26, 05:58 PM
That's actually a great idea, maybe I'll do that. >_>

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 06:05 PM
Oh, by the way, in addition to getting the PHBII, I got the moster manual and 4. So yes, a lot more monsters to eat you people.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-26, 09:45 PM
(OOC: Awesome! Beware though, Claes has no calories, no protein, and is loaded with the BAD Cholesterol. It's a class feature.)

On turn, Caes attacks then moves back 5 feet, hoping to drag Solomon away from the wall.
[roll0] taking into account non-lethal damage penalty.
[roll1]

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 10:04 PM
A heads up guys, at some time, you will be in an underwater adventure, simply because this (http://www.greenskyproductions.co.uk/iwial/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/attack-tiger.jpg) is apparently now a monster. Well a sea tiger at least.
Initiative Grishpot btw.

Balthazar
2009-07-26, 11:22 PM
Hah! Try this on for size. Battlegrid (http://www.celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/DM.php?sessionID=Mines%20of%20Eshina) session is called Mines of Eshina.
EDIT: Also, is there a reason why Brin has disappeared? xD

Altaria87
2009-07-27, 03:16 AM
OOC: Also Solomon is way too crunchy ^_^
Come on people snap me out of it, I want to be able to do something before I go on holiday (I'm really not sure if I'll have my laptop or not, so I may or may not have sporadic internet access... Can you get on this with that DS Internet thing, or was that just a dream and the DS doesn't actually have an Internet thing yet?)

Jair Barik
2009-07-27, 03:29 AM
OOC: I said that I'll just maintain a defensive stance for the rest of the battle. I'll now move back 5ft, ignore my rounds till end of battle

Omegonthesane
2009-07-27, 04:59 AM
Michael runs into the space opened by Grishgot, which I think provokes an Attack of Opportunity from Solomon, then it's sap-thwacking time again.
Attack roll [roll0]
Nonlethal Damage [roll1]
Sneak Attack [roll2]

Jair Barik
2009-07-27, 05:12 AM
OOC:Its Grishgot actually...

Omegonthesane
2009-07-27, 05:14 AM
OOC:Its Grishgot actually...

((Oops. Fixed.))

Jair Barik
2009-07-27, 05:14 AM
OOC: thank you. Don't want to have to start clutch of Orcusing people now

Altaria87
2009-07-27, 05:43 AM
OOC: well that definatly hit, so that puts the damage done up to 38 IIRC, 7 nonlethal damage to go.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-27, 06:47 AM
OOC: well that definatly hit, so that puts the damage done up to 38 IIRC, 7 nonlethal damage to go.

((40 nonlethal damage, actually. 28 from Danath and a total of 12 from me.))

Altaria87
2009-07-27, 06:53 AM
Oh right, misremembered, thought it was 26 earlier. Oh well, all that means is that you only need to do 5 more nonlethal damage

Balthazar
2009-07-27, 09:44 AM
Actually, since Cleas's buff ups his constitution, he gets 5 extra temporary hit points, doesn't he?
Joey's sap thunks into the back of Solomon's head, leavin him staggered. Cleas' scimitar clangs off of Solomon's amour, leaving not even a scratch. Solidem drops his weapon, and punches Solomon (would provoke an AoO, but confused people don't get those). The punch connects with the back of Solomon's head with a satisfying whack!, and he staggers a bit, the falls backwards, where Solidem easily catches him in his arms.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-27, 12:12 PM
"About time, we've been here less than an hour and we've already nearly torn each other apart! Who needs my healing skills?"

Claes will let Solomon come to on his own before even thinking of healing him, just in case he is still insane when he wakes up.
--------------
OOC:Finally!

Balthazar
2009-07-27, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I''l just assume that you wait a minute or so for his mind to clear.

Balthazar
2009-07-27, 01:33 PM
"Well, I'm not so sure what exactly that was, but it wasn't what I saw. I think we should get some healing and move on. No one's too badly hurt right? Although that gash does look nasty Danath. Perhaps we should check the beast's lair to see if any of it's victims are still alive."

Omegonthesane
2009-07-27, 02:14 PM
"While you heal Danath up, I'll check what's behind that door," Michael says, gesturing to the closed door across the room. He then goes and searches it.
Search [roll0]

Altaria87
2009-07-27, 02:16 PM
OOC: So do I get healed or do we wait an hour for me to wake up, either way, when I do awaken:
Solomon
Solomon rubs the back of his head as he slowly stands up, and then, the memories of what had just happened came back...
"I... I am so sorry, friends. I did not mean anything I did, please do not hold it against me, here, Danath, I shall heal that wound myself slightly."
Solomon then lays his hands on Danath, rejuvinating him slightly
(Lay on Hands for 5 hp)

Balthazar
2009-07-27, 02:21 PM
Joey: You find no traps or anything else on or near the door. When you open it, you see a tunnel that goes south for 15 feet before turning right (your right when facing the door)

Jair Barik
2009-07-27, 02:23 PM
"Enough a this waitin! Now is tha time fer action! We can't sit here all day just waitin fer the beast to get tired and come up lookin fer as can we? Any luck with those doors yet mister or do they need another taste of me axe?"

Omegonthesane
2009-07-27, 02:42 PM
"There's a tunnel down there. Goes on a little while, then turns right, but obviously we're not moving until Solomon is ready."

Balthazar
2009-07-27, 02:44 PM
"I would give him the god's blessings, but I have already called upon them enough today, healing myself from the beast."

pcamp88
2009-07-27, 08:49 PM
"It's quite alright Solomon, I repayed you for this wound in kind." Danath said, chuckling lightly.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-27, 09:29 PM
Claes moves to the dead beast "I could probably gut it and find out if it's snacked on any miners, I truly wouldn't mind." nothing like dissecting an aberration's corpse to better under stand it.

Balthazar
2009-07-27, 09:35 PM
Are you gutting it?

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-27, 10:42 PM
I suppose, taking care not to expose myself to bodily acids.
My character wouldn't know for sure about venom or poisons since it's an Aberration, but Claes will treat it as if it were a big dead animal.

Balthazar
2009-07-27, 11:33 PM
Okay, well as you slice open its stomach, and the beast gives a squeal and it's limbs twitch once before finally falling limp. Looks like it wasn't quite finished off yet. As you actually open it up, a foul stench fills the air. As you cover your nose with your sleeve, you look down into its spilling guts. You don't know enough about the Umber Hulk digestive system to figure out where it's stomach is, much less identify what it's been eating. However, as you get up, you see a human hand sticking out from under the hulk. After a quick limb count, you determine that it's not any of yours, and therefore probably a miner's likely the one you saw it eating as you came in.

Altaria87
2009-07-28, 01:36 AM
Solomon

Solomon, having recuperated and healed Danath in the time Claes had been dissecting the ...thing... walked up to it. Eww. Just. Eww. Having noticed it still appeared to be alive somehow he gave it a quick chop with his rapier to make sure it stayed dead. Then went to Joey to go to what appeared to be the creature's lair when everyone was ready.

Wind d8/d12
2009-07-28, 03:55 AM
"Well that accounts for one miner...or at least part of a miner. I worry that there will be more of these further into the mines. Perhaps a nest of them? But, Solidem, did you not describe the beast as a three armed creature?"

Claes uses create water on the inside of the heavy wooden shield and washes up a bit.

Altaria87
2009-07-28, 03:59 AM
"Maybe it's parent's arm was chopped off, and the beast is an elder one of these, who was mutulated by the miners?"

Jair Barik
2009-07-28, 04:06 AM
"Or peraps it twas some greater eldritch horror the likes o witch we cannot ken. Regardless if there be somethin thats spawnin little monsters the situation will not be gettin better by standin around doin nothing!" With this Grishgot marches off down the passage that has been opened up.

Omegonthesane
2009-07-28, 04:46 AM
Michael watches impatiently as the others fuss over the dead body of a miner in the monster, overhearing that (apparently) such a thing is an 'umber hulk' - whatever that means. He then facepalms again at the angry cleric marching down without any support.
"Grishgot, I sincerely doubt you'll stand a chance alone. Can't you wait even a moment for the walking shield?"

((Am I allowed to make influence-person skill rolls against party members?
Bluff [roll0]))

Jair Barik
2009-07-28, 05:04 AM
Grishgot chuckles "Laddie, I am a walking shield!

Altaria87
2009-07-28, 05:09 AM
"I'm going to presume that means me." Solomon then, seeing there will probably be no other way to make the Cleric stop, also starts down the corridor, attempting to get in front of Grishgot (sp?) and motioning for everyone else to follow. "We can look at the body in more detail afterwards, but the guy's right, the sooner we finish this thing the better."

pcamp88
2009-07-28, 09:46 AM
After taking a look at the umber hulk himself, Danath makes his way behind Solomon and Grishpot."Agreed. I'd like to do what we came to do here and get out. Besides, that dead carcass stinks and I'd like to get far away from it."

Balthazar
2009-07-28, 11:08 AM
"Agreed as well, especially since I remember since I don't recall the monster being this big..." He falls into step behind Solomon.

Balthazar
2009-07-28, 11:09 AM
As you turn the corner of the tunnel, you see another tunnel stretching about 15 feet down, and ending in a wooden door that has been smashed in. "Hah, did you go ahead of the party while we weren't looking Grishgot?

Omegonthesane
2009-07-28, 11:36 AM
((Can has updated map, or does that have to wait until combat starts?))
"Well, I doubt this one will be trapped. Although I have to ask, could it be any more smashed up..." Despite murmuring to himself about his doubts, Michael searches the door for traps anyway, particularly for want of anything better to do. "How did it take so much damage and not break..?"

Search [roll0]

Balthazar
2009-07-28, 11:40 AM
Well it is hanging off its hinges, and has a huge hole in the center. And I've already updated the map. Here's (http://www.celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/DM.php?sessionID=Mines%20of%20Eshina) the link if you lost it.
Oh, and no traps.

Altaria87
2009-07-28, 11:45 AM
Solomon, having got the ok from 'Joey' walks through the door, taking in his new surroundings.
OOC: So, I now have 40 hp right, unless someone healed me?

Balthazar
2009-07-28, 11:56 AM
OOC:Why, did you get hit with lethal damage? And you really should be keeping track of this on your character sheet. That's why they have a spot that says 'current HP'. Well if you're not sure, go back through the posts. That's one way that pbp is nice.
IC: As you step through the door, the first thing that strikes you is the corpse strung up and drained from the ceiling. As the shock passes, you also notice a haphazard scattering of gems, coins, and bottles on the floor. Apparently this is where the beast dragged its victims before eating them. It's hard to tell, but the miner looks fairly old, as if it's been sitting there for a long time.

Altaria87
2009-07-28, 12:04 PM
"I hate to say this... But search the loot for anything interesting people."
Search: [roll0]
OOC:
Yeah, I know I took 5 points of damage in the fight with the skeletons, I was just making sure I hadn't been damaged lethally during the time I was confused

Jair Barik
2009-07-28, 12:08 PM
"Loot! About time too eh chaps?"

Search [roll0]

OOC: Did we get xp for the Umber Hulk? Also its Grishgot with a g. As in my spoiler box and on my character sheet.