PDA

View Full Version : Appearance and Concealment

Edwin
2009-07-21, 09:31 AM
Hi.

I've got two simple questions regarding character creation.

First, anyone know of a spell, item or feat that allows for concealment?
That is, that a 6th level sorcerer with standard WBL has access to. Assume any books.

With same restrictions as above, except this time it may be a wizard or sorcerer, anyone know of a spell, item or feat that allows on to change, in appearance only, into an ogre. It can be an illusion effect, a transmutation effect, or anything at all.

Thanks in advance.

AmberVael
2009-07-21, 09:38 AM
Concealment? Well that's simple.
Blur. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blur.htm)

Not sure about the other one though. Alter Self won't work unless you're a Giant somehow, and Disguise Self won't let you become tall enough to pass as an ogre (unless you're already around 7 or 8 feet tall...)

I don't think it would be unbalanced to make a Greater Disguise Self though, if one doesn't exist already. Allow further, more dramatic changes and stuff.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-21, 09:41 AM
First, anyone know of a spell, item or feat that allows for concealment?
That is, that a 6th level sorcerer with standard WBL has access to. Assume any books.

Most of the Obscuring Mist style of spells offer concealment, but that causes you to suffer concealment against your foes as well, which I assume you don't want.

You can probably give yourself concealment through the judicious use of Silent Image and similiar spells.

If you're willing to drop 2 feats, you can pick up a Martial Maneuver (Wind Stride and Distracting Ember may be your best choices, since they don't require an attack roll) through Martial Study and then the Child of Shadow stance through Martial Stance. That will grant you concealment as long as you've moved that turn.

And there's also probably some other spells from other sources that I just don't feel like thinking about right now. :smallbiggrin:

Edwin
2009-07-21, 09:48 AM
The problem with Blur is that I have to cast a new spell each time I enter combat. So that's more like an emergency option in case everything fails.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-21, 09:51 AM
The problem with Blur is that I have to cast a new spell each time I enter combat. So that's more like an emergency option in case everything fails.

In that case I'd eat the two feats and get Child of Shadow. It is continuous, and, short of Persistant spells, I don't think you're going to get a permenant or long-duration concealment effect at level 6 without wasting spell slots.

AslanCross
2009-07-21, 10:04 AM
Yeah, Tome of Battle's Child of Shadows stance is the quickest, renewable way of achieving concealment, although it specifically does not allow one to use the concealment to hide in plain sight.

There's a blurring armor property in Magic Item Compendium, but it is an armor property, so you're going to have to get around ASF and proficiency.

Seffbasilisk
2009-07-21, 10:18 AM
Take the 'Dark creature' template. +1 LA, Hide in plain sight. That's only a move action to hide. If you really want to crack it out, go Dark Whispergnome.