PDA

View Full Version : Help bulding a 3.5 Exalted VoP Warforged Totem Rager Saint

HamHam
2009-07-21, 02:00 PM
I want to make an exalted character, but I'm not interested in the obvious ways (Paladin, Cleric, Druid) at the moment and am thus trying to come up with some ideas.

What I definitely want is Vow of Poverty and the Saint template, but I'm not sure what class, race, etc would go will with this.

Sword Sage maybe?

Mongoose87
2009-07-21, 02:02 PM
I second the swordsage.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-21, 02:22 PM
Gah! D&D! It burns!

In other news, you might want to note that it's for 3.5 so Exalted players don't think it's about them.

Meanwhile, Swordsage, Psion, Ardent, Totemist are completely viable options (albeit weakened by VoP).

EDIT: Binder could also be cool, with the right selection of vestiges. There was an online vestige that gave access to Summon Monster, which would be great help.

Blackjackg
2009-07-21, 02:38 PM
EDIT: Binder could also be cool, with the right selection of vestiges. There was an online vestige that gave access to Summon Monster, which would be great help.

I have a hard time seeing an Exalted binder. Good, sure. The fluff for the class explains why it's ok. But Exalted is a whole other step beyond good. Remember, you're dealing with things that can exert an unnatural influence on you to make you behave in ways that are distinctly unExalted. You'd have to be very picky about which of the alien beings from beyond-life-and-death you weld onto your soul.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-21, 02:43 PM
I have a hard time seeing an Exalted binder. Good, sure. The fluff for the class explains why it's ok. But Exalted is a whole other step beyond good. Remember, you're dealing with things that can exert an unnatural influence on you to make you behave in ways that are distinctly unExalted. You'd have to be very picky about which of the alien beings from beyond-life-and-death you weld onto your soul.

I never said it would be easy.

Though considering the adaptations include binding angelic souls, that might be OK.

SilveryCord
2009-07-21, 02:45 PM
Vow of Poverty is never a good idea, but if you have to do it, besides unarmed swordsage (oh i c what u did there wizards), totemist is a great option. Its class feature is basically replacements for all those magic items you lose out on.

tyckspoon
2009-07-21, 02:58 PM

Or just make certain you never fail a binding check, allowing you to control the vestige influence. An Exalted Binder will still probably avoid the shadier vestiges just as a matter of roleplaying, but it should be quite feasible to make use of them mechanically without risking his Vows or his Exalted status (excepting, of course, any of them or their powers that actually have the [Evil] flag.)

HamHam
2009-07-21, 03:03 PM
Thank you for the input so far.

Totemist sounds interesting. Should I go straight Totemist, aim for Totem Rager, or something else?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-21, 03:08 PM
Beguiler is spectacular for the vow of peace/nonviolence type due to the selection of debuffs, nonlethal damage, and general problem solving spells. Maybe even go Apostle of Peace/Mystic Theurge with it for good measure.

HamHam
2009-07-22, 02:11 PM
After looking over the Totemist handbook and various input from the thread, here's a basic outline of my character at ECL 8:

Warforged Totemist 4/ Barbarian 2 Saint

36 Point buy plus race and Saint and level 4 advancement:

Str 16
Dex 12
Con 23
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 10

Feats

1st: Sacred Vow
Flaw: Vow of Poverty
Flaw: Cobalt Rage
3rd:
6th:
Bonus Exalted: Tough of Golden Ice
Bonus Exalted:
Bonus Exalted:
Bonus Exalted:

Immunity to a ton of stuff. Some ACF from Complete Champion replacing my Barbarian fast movement with Pounce. Fast Healing 3. DR 5/magic. Base saves of 7/4/1. Base AC of 17 + Wis mod.

Any suggestions on what feats (both from levels and bonus exalted) I should take? Multiattack seems good.

Fixer
2009-07-22, 02:17 PM
Ok, time out.

As an exalted character, you have to be mature about how to play him/her. Your character should have mature, well-thought-out goals. This isn't a matter of mechanics, this is a matter of behavior.

Touch of Golden Ice might seem really nice, but if you are playing VoP you are going to have more Exalted feats than you will eventually want to take. At some point you are going to hit the limit to what you can take (especially if you are taking non-core classes).

Try to think about where the character wants to be, and how they wish to serve their fellow being (which is how they think) and that should guide you better than any of us can.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-22, 02:24 PM
I recommend avoiding the other Vows (except maybe Chasity). Peace and Non-Violence do not mesh well with a Totem Rager.

HamHam
2009-07-22, 02:36 PM
I recommend avoiding the other Vows (except maybe Chasity). Peace and Non-Violence do not mesh well with a Totem Rager.

Vow of Chastity on a warforged is kinda funny.

Righteous Wrath would make sense, and while the Shaken thing is situational the ability to remain in control while raging might be nice.