PDA

View Full Version : [3.x D&D] Hoplite Prestige Class

satafa32
2009-07-21, 02:45 PM
Update
*Changed shield defense to a 2/4/6/8/day ability
*Raised Will saves to cover the lack of will. And two more defensive option with the shield related to will.
*added option to help ally
*Piercing strike damage raised for 1d8, multipliers now do apply.
Still need something to add at lvl 7... i got no idea.
Iron will class requirement, fixed the shield defense wrong description error
*Dc for impale changes when charging.
*Impale now adds regualr damage as well, and 2 ongoing damage per round afterwards. (does not stack)
*Shielded mind removed.
*Still needs more unique talents, any ideas???

Requirements:
Feats Weapon focus(Any Haste Weapon), Weapon Specialization (Any Haste Weapon), Heavy Shield proficiency, Power Attack, Iron Will.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Str: 15

Hoplite

{table]Level |
Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save| Ref Save| Will Save | Special
1st |
+1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Hoplite's Proficiency, Run, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Trip
2nd |
+2 | +3 | +0 | +2 | Shield Defense 2/day, Combat Stance.
3rd |
+3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Bonus Feat, Fearless Defense
4th |
+4 | +4 | +1 | +3 | Melee Weapon Mastery(Spear)
5th |
+5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Shield Defense 4/day, Combat Stance
6th |
+6/1 | +5 | +2 | +4 | Bonus Feat
7th |
+7/2 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Bonus Feat
8th |
+8/3 | +6 | +2 | +5 | Shield Defense 6/day Combat Stance
9th |
+9/4 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Bonus Feat
10th |
+10/5 | +7 | +3 | +6 | Shield Defense 8/day, Combat Stance, Weapon Supremacy(Chosen Haste weapon category)
[/table]

Skills: Handle animal(Cha), Swim(Str), Jump(Str), Sense Motive(Wis), Ride(Dex), Climb(Str).
Hit Die : d10

Hoplite's Proficiency: You can wield a Two-Handed haste weapon as one handed weapon without any penalties. Such as Long separs, Glaives etc.

Run: When running, you move five times your normal speed (if wearing medium, light, or no armor and carrying no more than a medium load) or four times your speed (if wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load). If you make a jump after a running start (see the Jump skill description), you gain a +4 bonus on your Jump check. While running, you retain your Dexterity bonus to AC.

Improved Bull Rush: When you perform a bull rush you do not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender. You also gain a +4 bonus on the opposed Strength check you make to push back the defender.

Shield Defense: The Hoplite īs familiarity with his shield is so big that once per round, to a maximum of 2 at the second level, and 2 more times every 2 levels there after when an opponent misses an attack, the Hoplite gets an attack of opportunity against the foe, treat this as if the Hoplite diverged the attack with his shield, and left the opponent wide open for retaliation.

Combat Stance: The Hoplite is so familiar with battles that he can assume positions and actions that give him advantage on the combat. Choose one at 2nd, 5th 8th and 10th levels

Short haft: As a free action, you can choose to lose the benefit of wielding any reach weapon other then a spiked chain or whip. In return, you can use the weapon to threaten and attack spaces adjacent to you. With another swift action you can give up this featīs benefit in order t regain your weapon's superior reach.

Protect Another: When fighting adjacent to one ally, you may choose to lose some of your shield cover to protect an ally, granting him +2 AC and 25% concealment. when done so the Hoplite loses half of the AC bonus from his shield.

Shield Wall: When fighting with an ally with this talent, you cannot be flanked. in addition, when fighting adjacent to a wall you will get the same bonus.

Swing Around: At first level, on any unsuccessful attack with a spear, a spear adept may make a second attack, swinging the spear around to hit his enemy with the blunt side of the spear, albeit a -4 penalty. This attack deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage, plus his strength modifier. Weapon enhancements and special weapon abilities do not ably to this attack, but this blunt end can be enchanted or enhanced separately.

Piercing Charge: When the Hoplite charge and damages an enemy he may choose to damage an enemy adjacent to the foe on a straight line from where he started his charge. This attack deals you weapon damage plus half of the Hoplite's strength.

Stunning Strike: This trick must be declared before it is used. This trick allows a Hoplite adept to make a stunning strike a number of times per day equal to half his class level. On a successful hit, the enemy makes a Fortitude saving throw(DC 10 + class level + Strength modifier). If he fails, he is stunned until just after his next turn. This ability can be used once a round and not in the same round a spear adept has already used impale in, or in a round that the enemy is already suffering from the effects of stunning strike or impale. This ability can be used with a charge, changing the DC to (DC 12 +class level + Strength)

Impale: This trick must be declared before it is used. A number of times per day equal to half the adepts class level, a spear adept may choose to impale his victim dealing a deep blow to the opponents flesh. If a spear adept makes a successful hit, he deals normal damage and the enemy must be successful on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + class level + Strength modifier). If he fails, he takes 2 points of damage per round thereafter for a number of rounds equal to half the spear adept's Strength modifier (unless he is healed magically or with a successful heal check). This ability can be used once a round, and not in the same round a spear adept has already used stunning strike in, or in a round that the enemy is already suffering from the effects of stunning strike or impale. This ability can be used with a charge, changing the DC to (DC 12 +class level + Strength)

Bullīs Charge: When a Hoplite successfully charges an enemy and deal enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it) he may continue his movement for the another 10 ft and strike another foe with half the damage dealt at the first enemy.

Fearless Defense: The Hoplite familiarity with his shield now makes him more confident in battle with his shield in his hands, he gains +2 in any will check related to fear and in addition, if failed, he ma try another will save at the beginning of his next action

Bonus Feat: The hoplite gets a bonus feat, he must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums. These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. The Hoplite is limited to [Fighter] feats for these bonus feats.

Melee Weapon Mastery: Choose bludgeoning, slashing or piercing, you must have weapon focus and weapon specialization with one weapon that deals the same kind of damage. When using any other weapon with the same kind of damage you gain a +2 on attack rolls and +2 damage rolls.

Weapon Supremacy: When fighting with the weapon you choose for this feat, you gain a number of additional advantages.
You gain a +4 on all checks made to resist disarm.
You can wield your weapon against a foe who grapples you without penalty and without making a grapple check first. in this situation you can make a full attack action or or standart action as ]normal.
When you make a full attack actio you can apply a +5 bonus to any single attack after the first strike.
Once per round before makign an attack roll, you can instead choose to treat your d20 result as a 10.
You gain +1 AC

Dienekes
2009-07-22, 01:09 AM
Firstly, love the concept. Did a class based on it awhile ago I called a soldier.

As to the abilities.

Short Haft. Good in concept, except you're wasting valuable swift actions and have to wait a round to regain the full 10 ft threatening area, thus making the point of reach weapons minimal. It'd be easier to make it a free action and take a small penalty to adjacent enemies.

Swing Around. A redo on all attacks for a penalty. Interesting, however the damage output it has is minimal, though much better than simply missing the attack. I like it.

Piercing Charge. Interesting, though rather weak and only works for very specific situations.

Stunning Strike. Yay, more options but straight damage. Very good.

Impale. Seems ok.

Bull's Charge. Good, complimentary to any charging build. Though hardly necessary. Having never played a charger I don't know how common it is to drop an opponent in 1 charge unless facing mooks.

Shield Defense. Not bad, but only once per day is very small for such an ability, especially when he can stun things easier.

Overall, it fits the concept well. Though it doesn't really solve any of the weaknesses of a fighter build, that may not have been what you were going for.

Iferus
2009-07-22, 02:25 AM
So ehm, what is a haste weapon exactly?

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 02:51 AM
I like the idea, though slightly dissapointed by no Phalanx-based stuff from what I can see.

AceofDeath
2009-07-22, 03:19 AM
I like the idea, though slightly dissapointed by no Phalanx-based stuff from what I can see.

Defeantly, your shield defense abillity is the most Greek hoplite right now. I'll say add more interisting bonuses with a big shield to give it a better feeling as a hoplite. Remember the name Hoplite it self refers to the round shield being carried by these soldiers :smallwink:

Jogi
2009-07-22, 07:10 AM
Im OP's DM, heh, and I've said it to him before: this has little to do with the actual Hoplite warriors. In my point of view, and from what I've read about Hoplite units, they were:

- Low movement speed. They would slowly, but surely, get close to the enemy line. The reason for this was: heavy shields, long spears, discipline and group moving while keeping defensive. They would rarely run after enemies.
- Hoplites were extremely disciplined warrios, and often discipline, allied with who had more courage, decided the fate in a fight beetwen two phalanx.
- They were very skilled warriors when it came to tatical defense and spear using.
- Their weakness was the right flank, since each warrior defended half of the man to his left, the extreme right men were only half protected.

Oh, for anyone who may be interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplite

I would, to say the least, change this class name, in order to make it not remind the greek Hoplites. I'd call it Rushing Lancer or something like this, as I don't find it's flavor related to the hoplites in any way.

As for the class as it is:
- Right now, good concepts for a damage based class.
- Yet, all in all, sounds like just another fighter.

Now my question is: is it just me or everyone gets bugged by the bonus feats? For myself, I belive that as a prestige class, bonus warrior feat doesn't sound that good. I'd change for another stuff, or maybe get something that keeps on getting better at odd numbered levels.

But, If I was to make a PrC based on the hoplite warriors, I'd try this:

Hoplite Warrior

Class Description: Hoplites are extremely disciplined warriors, fighters of a combat unit known as Phalanx. Their strenght rely on their hability with the spear, defensive combat tatics and courage to trust their lives to other men. In combat, they slowly aproach the enemy lines, drivring them away with their longspears. When the combat lines finally clash, they are capable of using their shields both as a weapon and defense tool.
They are proud fighters, who hold melee combat in high steem, and consider archery and other such ranged support as a job unfit for a true warrior. They think of dying in combat as the greatest honor, and would rather fall than rethreat. When a Hoplite leaves his homeland to war, they are told "Come home with this shield, or upon it".
Hit Die: d8

Requirements:
Feats: Weapon Focus (Longspear), Weapon Specialization (Longspear), Improved Shield Bash, Iron Will and Combat Expertise.
BAB: +5

Skills: 2 + Int modifier
Skill Points Each Level: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Forgery (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge [Military Strategy] (Int) and Spot (Wis)

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Impale, Combat Traning, Hoplite's Proficiency
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Defend Other
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Fearless Warrior
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Defend Other, Counter-Attack
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Spear Mastery[/table]

Hoplite's Proficiency: The Hoplite's become so familiarized with his equipment that now, as long as he wears Medium Armor and a Heavy Shield, he will receive an armor bonus of +1 to AC. This bonus increases by 1 at each odd numbered level in this class. Additionaly, the Hoplite may also wield a Longspear with a single hand.

Impale: 3/day, increasing by one at each odd numbered level, a Hoplite can attempt to impale his foe, dealing additinal damage and wounding it severely. This hability can be used before rolling any attack, and, if it hits, the enemy makes a Fortitude save (DC 10 + class level + Strenght modifier); If the oponent fails he will take 2 points of damage per round thereafter, for a number of rounds equal to the Hoplite's Strenght modifier. This damage stacks with other usages of this hability.

{table] Level|Additional Damage
1st-2nd|+1d6
3rd-4th|+2d6
5th|+3d6[/table]

Combat Traning: All Hoplites learn combat strategies, which they use to overcome their enemies. At each level they gain in this class, they may chose one of the below. You cannot chose the same one more than once, and all habilities that require usage cannot be used in the same round as another one was used.

- Short Haft: Once per turn, as a swift action, you can choose to lose the reach property of your Longspear, allowing you to attack adjacent enemies with it.

- Stand Your Ground: The use of this hability is a standard action. You gain +4 dodge bonus to AC, but you cannot perform any move actions. You receive a +2 bonus to all attacks resulting of the Counter-Attack hability, and +4 situation bonus to resist being pushed by oponents. You can only use this hability while wielding a shield smaller than a Tower Shield.

- Defensive Movement: You move up to 10 foot while using the Stand Your Ground hability.

- Stunning Bash: The use of this hability is a standard action. Once per day per level in this class, the Hoplite can perform an attack with his shield that will stun the oponent. On a successful hit, the enemy makes a Fortitude save (DC 10 + class leve + Strenght modifier). If he fails, he will be stunned until the end of his next turn. This hability can only be used if you're wielding a Heavy Shield.

- Doratismos: As long as the enemy is 5 foot or more away from you, you gain +2 to all attack and damage rolls with the Longspear.

- Othismos: The Hoplite bashes the oponent with his shield, attempting to push him away. He performs a shield attack and, If it hits, he and the enemy make opposed Strenght checks. The Hoplite gains +4 bonus to this check, and if he succeds, the oponent will be pushed away 10 foot, in direct line.

Defend Other: A Hoplite Warrior can grant an adjacent ally an armor bonus to AC equal to half of that of his shield (this increases to full AC bonus at 4th level). He must declare which is the affected ally at the begining of his turn, and the bonus does not apply if the Hoplite is not using a Heavy Shield.

Fearless Warrior: The Hoplite sheer will-power now allows him stand while other would flee. He becomes immune to fear effects (magical or otherwise).

Counter-Attack: By bashing his oponent's weapon with his shield, the Hoplite defends an attack while attempting to injure his foe with his spear. If an oponent misses a melee attack against the Hoplite by 5 or less, the Hoplite will be able to perform a disarm and an oportunity attack against this enemy. The disarm attemp will not provoque any oportunity attacks, even if it fails. This hability can only be used once per round, one time per day per level in this class, and only if the Hoplite is wielding a Heavy Shield.

Spear Mastery: The Hoplite increases his Longspear threat range by one category (thus, 19-20/x3), gains +2 to attack and damage rolls with his weapon and +4 to confirm a critica hit. These bonus stack with any others.

Explaining the class:
- Althought many may think I should add some hability related to having another Hoplite by your side, I didn't think it would be usefull for players since rarely we'd have more than one spear-specialized warrior in the goup.
- Another point is the class being based on the heavy shield: it is hard enough to combat with a longspear in a single hand, thus I don't think it would be possible to do so while bashing oponents in the face with a tower shield, or pushing them away with it.
- As for the requirements: Iron Will because of their discipline and courage, Shield Bash because of their use of shields in tatics such as Othismos. Also, the saves progression indicate their disciplined warrior aspect.

Final Observations: This class has not had any testing at all, and may as well be severely under/over-powered. I would really like any feedback on it if possible. If you wish, I can also move it to another topic.
This class was made based on the greek hoplite warriors, as it is clear, but the original idea of a Hoplite class came from Satafa32, a player in my group. This is my version of a Hoplite, although some parts of it are heavily based on Satafa32's version.

EDIT: After some thought on it, I began to realize that this class may really be underpowered on the following:
- It doesn't allow you to deal much more damage than you would being an average Fighter.
- Although you maybe choose from 6 Combat Traning Habilities, you only get 3 of them, reducing the class number o 'tricks' while making the lpayer cut down on some usefull ones.
- You don't get your AC much higher, making the defender part kinda flaw.

Therefore I've decided to change the following:

- The Hoplite now receives an AC bonus at each odd numbered level of this class.
- He now receives Combat Traning habilites at each level.
- Impale deals additional damage and is no longer a Combat Traning hability.
- Counter-Attack now is a 4th level hability.
- Added the Fearless Warrior class feature, which makes the Hoplite immune to fear effects.
- Group Defense was changed to Defend Other and is now a 2nd level hability. Also, it no longer provides defense to up to two allies, but instead you may now add your full shield bonus to that ally.
- Othismos became a Combat Traning hability.

By such changes, the Hoplite now is a better defender and every now and then he may deal additional damage. He is also better fit for a courajous disciplined warrior, and now has many combat tricks.

Altaria87
2009-07-22, 07:33 AM
I was actually thinking of having a Hoplite PrC in a campaign setting I'm working on, so I'll eventually have chance to playtest it, though it'll probably take a while for me to do so.

satafa32
2009-07-22, 10:00 AM
Well the name stands until i get a name i find interesting.. and iīm out of deas for that part.

*Changed shield defense to a 2/4/6/8/day ability
*Raised Will saves to cover the lack of will. And added another defensive option with the shield related to will.

Iferus Haste weapos are weapons that have reach, such as longspears, whips, etc, for example you can attack up 2 5 ft when using a Long spear or a whip.

And for the trip thing, its the most common warrior build, as it uses str checks do determine DC, and yo gain a free melee attack after the oponent is down. improved trip, improved disarm, improved sunder and such, are quite used in most warrior builds i seen so far, including on this forum. its a nasty combo.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-22, 11:06 AM
Iferus Haste weapos are weapons that have reach, such as longspears, whips, etc, for example you can attack up 2 5 ft when using a Long spear or a whip.

I don't recall seeing that term anywhere in the books. Weapons that have reach are just called "reach weapons," so you should probably just say that in the class description.

satafa32
2009-07-22, 11:07 AM
actually, if you get the book, and look upon those weapons, uīll c a 4 inf ront of then, that for when you look at the side note, says that those weapons are haste weapons.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-22, 11:33 AM
actually, if you get the book, and look upon those weapons, uīll c a 4 inf ront of then, that for when you look at the side note, says that those weapons are haste weapons.

Not according to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponDescriptions). You wouldn't happen to be using a non-English version, would you?

satafa32
2009-07-22, 11:57 AM
yeah that is indeed a fact, i didnt check on the english version, even tho the translation is the same for booth languages, and in our case it also doesnt really apply as a haste weapon, our book says haste, and the english one says reach, iīll change that in a bit. when i get to work.

Jogi
2009-07-22, 03:07 PM
Editing has been done, bumping for both classes PEACH :)

Debihuman
2009-07-22, 07:59 PM
Still needs a little proofreading ("ability" not "hability"; "opponent" not "oponent," but those are minor, and I realize that not everyone's first language is English).

I actually prefer the 5-level prestige class to the original.

The phalanx is actually a mass combat strategy so that the shield in your left hand actually covers the man to your left and does not offer you any protection. Essentially, this results in the first line making a shield wall used for shoving the opponent back while the spearmen in the back had enough reach to poke through any gaps between the shields. Despite what you see in the movies, it's not really good for rushing because any break in formation leaves gaps between the shields.

Debby

Jogi
2009-07-22, 09:04 PM
Still needs a little proofreading ("ability" not "hability"; "opponent" not "oponent," but those are minor, and I realize that not everyone's first language is English).

I actually prefer the 5-level prestige class to the original.

The phalanx is actually a mass combat strategy so that the shield in your left hand actually covers the man to your left and does not offer you any protection. Essentially, this results in the first line making a shield wall used for shoving the opponent back while the spearmen in the back had enough reach to poke through any gaps between the shields. Despite what you see in the movies, it's not really good for rushing because any break in formation leaves gaps between the shields.

Debby

You're completely right Debby, the only thing I'd take note is that the shield was used to defend half of you and half of the man to your left. This way, the extreme right men were only half-protected. But then again, if we're to try to turn a Hoplite into a class, some changes have to be made, which is kinda fine, since it's a fantasy game :D and people to get to PrC levels are mostly to be heroes (or villains) of power.

Heh, sorry about the misspelling :P

satafa32
2009-07-23, 01:01 AM
well it actually is my main language.. lol. anyways, my class build, like stated before only has the Hoplite name, its not anything like the Greek warrior, i only gave it that name initially for the lack of a better one as jogi stated in the beginning of his post for the new class. his class is more Greek based, but to be as close as possible of a hoplite you wold need leadership with you grant you "followers" and almost all DMs i know ban such a page of the book lol.

Jogi
2009-07-23, 01:57 AM
well it actually is my main language.. lol
Lol.

his class is more Greek based, but to be as close as possible of a hoplite you wold need leadership with you grant you "followers"
Actually, I don't think so. Only if you wanted to gather a phalanx of your own, then, yes, I'd suggest taking some feats related to leadership. Otherwise, you could just make a class for a character that has Hoplite training.

and almost all DMs i know ban such a page of the book lol.
Sincerely didn't understand what you meant here.

So, I think we all should go back to:
- Getting a better name for satafa32's class.
- PEACH it :P

In order to analyze and criticize efficiently, I'd have to know what is the goal of this class. Is it to be a damage dealer fighter that uses spears? Right now it looks like a fighter whithout its biggest flaw, lots of additional stuff but also a big mess (when it comes to ability vs. flavor). But then, things I'd like to note:

- I'd take out For 15 (which Im assuming to be Fortitude) out of the requirements list. I don't see any class ability related to it.

- Shield Defense says one use per day, but the table says 2/day.

- I'd take out the Protect Another ability from Combat Stance, as this class doesn't seem much like into protecting other people. It looks a lot more like a raging-heavily-armored spearman, rushing against his foes for a lot of damage and bloodshed. Also, if you don't take this out, do note that 25% concealment for half-a-shield protecting you is...wierd.

- About the Fearless Defense ability: take the +2 bonus out, add Iron Will as a requirement for the class and change this to something like "when you fail a will save against any fear effect, you may reroll that save."

- Iron Will as a requirement would justify the will save progression and the Fearless Defense, but I don't belive it to be fit for a thrusting spearman. Maybe you should consider mixing a bit of the barbarian in this class.

- I would change the Bull's Charge, requiring another attack roll to be made against the next target, but not adding any bonus to damage for performing a Bull Rush.

- The damage from Impale stacks? Even if it does, the damage looks low.

- You have a lot of tricks with spears in Combat Stance, but just one concerning spear+Bull Rush.

- I don't belive that Shielded Mind has a place in this class, not to mention I find it a bit overpowered for a rushing fighter. I place side by side with the other mind-related abilities of this class, and I didn't think they had much to do in here oher than make this class a killing machine a lot harder to stop.

- Weapon Supremacy makes no sense at all for me if we're talking about using spears. I don't think +4 against disarm has much to do in this ability, neither I can't picture a grappled warrior wielding his longspear against his enemy. Not to mention making performing a full attack with it. The +5 bonus doesn't make a lot of sense, since it applies to only one attack - but im not saying it should apply to all attacks. It should be lowered, then applied to all attacks. Also, I see the treating you roll as a 10 thing as simple non-sense. The +1 to AC while a low bonus, is also out of place. My sugestion is: create an ability that starts on the first level, and gets stronger in higher levels.

- I would change the text in Melee Weapon Mastery. It's hard to understand. Make it so that when wielding his chosen weapon to deal a kind of damage other than that of the weapon, you get +2 to attack and damage rolls.

- I don't like the bonus feat thing. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like them.

- Maybe you should make this a 5-level class too.

- Run and Improved Trip are mostly useless since they both require full round actions.

Most of this was written assuming that this class is to represent a Bull Rush based warrior.

Jogi
2009-07-23, 04:34 AM
I am deeply interested in the development of a spear-based class, and I've made my own version of such a class:

The Impaler

Class Description: Brave warriors, Impalers are often considered insane by fellow soldiers, for they charge into the enemy lines with no fear, breaking through them with surprising ease. Not only that, they are also masters of the shortspear, using these weapons to inflict huge amounts of damage to their foes. Surprising as it may be, many Impalers study their enemies, in order to learn where to strike with the tip of their spears.
Hit Die:d10

Requirements:
Feats: Weapon Focus (Shortspear), Weapon Specialization (Shortspear), Tower Shield Proficiency, Armor Proficiency (heavy) and Mobility
BAB: +5

Skills: 2 + Int modifier
Skill Points Each Level: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Int) and Spot (Wis)
*Choose a monster type from the Rangers Favored Enemy class ability list. You may choose as many monster types as you want, but each one will be a different use of this skill, and thus, requiring different skill points to be spent.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Impale
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Shortspear Charge
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Impaler's Mastery
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Impale's Mastery
6th|+6/+1|+4|+2|+2|Bonus Feat
7th|+7/+2|+4|+2|+2|Impaler's Mastery
8th|+8/+3|+4|+2|+2|Bonus Feat
9th|+9/+4|+4|+3|+3|Impaler's Mastery
10th|+10/+5|+4|+3|+3|Deadly Impale[/table]

Impale: 1/day, increasing by one at each odd numbered level, a Impaler can attempt to impale his foe, dealing additinal damage and wounding it severely in one of his attacks. This ability is used before rolling the attack, and, if it hits, the enemy makes a Fortitude save (DC 10 + class level + Strenght modifier); If the oponent fails he will take 2 points of damage per round thereafter, for a number of rounds equal to the Impaler's Strenght modifier. This damage stacks with other uses of this ability.

{table] Level|Additional Damage
1st-3rd|+1d6
5th-6th|+2d6
7th-9th|+3d6
10th|+4d6[/table]

Shortspear Charge: The shortspear allows the Impaler to perform more accurate attacks while charging. This accuracy, alongside with the charge's momentum allow him to deal great amounts of damage on a charge attack. From now on, charge attacks using a short spear deal double damage.

Impaler's Mastery: Impalers have a variety of tecniques for charging and using shortspears. At each level that you gain this ability, you may chose one of the below:

- Defensive Charge: When charging, you no longer take -2 penalty to AC.

- Haft Strike: The use of this hability is a standard action. 3/day, the Impaler can perform an attack with his shield that will stun the opponent. On a successful hit, the enemy makes a Fortitude save (DC 10 + class level + Strenght modifier). If he fails, he will be stunned until the end of his next turn. This hability can only be used if you're wielding a Shortspear.

- Improved Momentum: When charging, you gain an extra +2 to your attack and damage rolls.

- Spear Fury: At the expense of accuracy, the Impaler can make one additional attack in a round, using his highest base attack bonus. This attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty is applied for one round, so it also affects attacks of oportunity in this round. When a Impaler reaches the 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears. The use of this ability is a full attack action, and requires the Impaler to be wielding a shortspear.

- Trample: When performing an Overrun, you're treated as if you were one size category higher. Addiotionaly, if the Overrun was part of a charge, increase the bonus to the Strenght check by +2.

- Keen Spear: Your shortspear critical range is increased by one (thus, a normal shortspear would become 19-20/x2).

- Long Charge: When charging, you may now run up to 2.5 times your movement speed.

- Perfurate: Whenever you drop an enemy to 0 hitpoints or below, you may move forward to his square, and perform an oportunity attack against a foe that directly in front of you. This movement still provoques attack os oportunity, and you may not use Impale or Deadly Impale as this attack. This ability can only be used if you're wielding a shortspear.

- Impaling Charge: Whenever charging, you may use Impale instead of performing a normal attack.

- Experienced Impaler: You can make a Knowledge(*) check (DC 17). If you succeed, you receive +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls against your Knowledge foe.

Deadly Impale: You can make a Knowledge(*) check (DC 25). If you succeed, you can spend one of you Impale uses in order to deliver an accurate attack, perfurating the foe's vital organs. If it hits, the enemy makes a Fortitude check (DC 10 + class level + Strenght modifier), and if he fails, he will die instantly. Note that this can only be used against enemies that are affected by Sneak Attacks.

Bonus Feat: At some levels, the Impaler receiveis bonus feats, which he may chose from the following: Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Spring Attack, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization. Note that you still need to meet the requirements to acquire the chosen feats.

EDIT:
- You can choose as many monster types for you Knowledge (*) as you wish.

~~
^^ PEACH!:smallsmile:

satafa32
2009-07-23, 10:29 AM
- Just as meele weapon melee weapon mastery, Weapon supremacy are existing talents, fighter talents. both are from complete warrior or players handbook II dont recall.

-note that the will safe progression was changed on top of the comments made on this very page about this class not removing the fighters big weakness.

- No impale damage does not stack, once it says on the description that it cannot be used while the opponent is suffering the effects of impale and] stunned by his abilities.

-The fortitude saves, are equal to a fighter's saves, because this class, is, fighter based and it also depends on constitution just as a fighter.

-Changed Impale and stunning strike dc, when the hoplite uses it on a charge (dc12+class+str) so now the tricks are 50 50, half charge related half not.

-Yeah i was gonna add iron will as a requirement when i added the shield will stuff, just forgot 2.

Jogi
2009-07-23, 01:27 PM
- Just as meele weapon melee weapon mastery, Weapon supremacy are existing talents, fighter talents. both are from complete warrior or players handbook II dont recall.

Well, lol, that doesn't change my thoughts on it. I also think that we all know that some things in D&D either don't make sense or are overpowered.

-note that the will safe progression was changed on top of the comments made on this very page about this class not removing the fighters big weakness.

Yet, I belive those comments were made assuming we were talking about a Hoplite fighter, which, I too assume, is no longer the case.

- No impale damage does not stack, once it says on the description that it cannot be used while the opponent is suffering the effects of impale and] stunned by his abilities.

Sorry, hadn't noticed that in the ability description before. But I'd remove the part about not being able to use it while the opponent is stunned. Just sounds kinda wierd for what is just a powerfull spear blow.

-Yeah i was gonna add iron will as a requirement when i added the shield will stuff, just forgot 2.

Yeah, Iron Will shold explain the will save progression, since you don't have Shielded Mind anymore.

I can't talk much right now lol, but a quick tip: Maybe you should re-organize the class, in sense of what ability do you get on each level.

AceofDeath
2009-07-23, 03:33 PM
If your still looking for a name to your class and it should feel greek you could perhaps use the word for the greek spear, a Dory. Something like Dory warrior, just not as lame:smallwink:

Jogi
2009-07-25, 03:11 PM
bumping for PEACH! :smallsmile: